PDA

View Full Version : What happens after a car accident?

import_azn
06-26-2005, 11:14 AM
Ok, i got into a car accident the other day that wasn't my fault. The car is now totalled and was written off. I have never been in this situation before so i'm not really sure what to do. Before i talk to my insurance company on monday i would like a little info. I'm assuming the other guy's insurance company will be writing me a cheque for the car but what's the book value of my car? The car is a 91 nissan 240 sx. Does any of the new parts that i put into it matter, ie brakes, engine work etc?. Do i negotiate a price with them? Can i still take parts off my car? How do i deal with the medical side of things?

Any input would help, thanks in advance

i'll have pics in a day.

GoChris
06-26-2005, 11:33 AM
talk to the insurance company, they will tell you all of that.
their insurance company and yours will talk and hopefully agree its not your fault then figure out the value to pay you. go see a doctor probably if you have medical problems, cause I think you need some sort of proof.

RicoX
06-26-2005, 11:44 AM
They might even consider fixing the car. What got wrecked on it?

schurchill39
06-26-2005, 02:08 PM
Hound the insurance company, I am dealing with them now and it might just be mine but they dont like to call back. Make it clear about all the work you did ie new tires brakes what ever else and try to get every penny out of it you can these things do matter but dont be expecting full reimbursment because its not gunna hapen. (IdRatherBeSideWayz) would be a good person to talk to about that because i know he got into an accident a while ago and he had a bunch of work done to his car) Just stay on their asses.

From what i understand about the medical part they will ask you if you were hurt, if yes they will probly open up some sort of medical/ victim file for you (they did atleast for my girlfriend) make sure you get checked out by a dotor and keep in touch with them.

If the car is writen off then they will most likely take posession of the car. From what i understand that means the car is no longer yours its theirs but it does remain in your hands. So that would be a good time to take things off it. Every insurance company is different in regards to that though so make sure you ask them. They might not even care and let you keep the car or they might actually physically take it from you until you buy it back.

Hope your ok and everything works out for you...

import_azn
06-26-2005, 02:25 PM
As for my health, overall i'm ok. minor headaches and sore back. i went to the doctor already and they say it's not to serious.
thanks for all the input so far

ninspeed
06-26-2005, 02:34 PM
fair warning... right now all the adjusters are super swamped with all the flooded cars that have been comming in... our shop alone has writen off about 6 cars last week

schurchill39
06-26-2005, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by import_azn
As for my health, overall i'm ok. minor headaches and sore back. i went to the doctor already and they say it's not to serious.

Still make sure they know that and ANYTHING else that goes wrong with you ie prolonged headache, sore back in the morning... complain about all of that because if you dont they might not think much of it and later on down the road it could cause you problems but you never said anything earlyer.

infected
06-26-2005, 10:35 PM
Sore back could have something to do with your spine or not.
My sister said she was ok after she got in a car accident until she went to the doctor to realize her pelvis was out of position or something like that. I think it would be a good idea to tell them that too because like schurchill39 said, it could affect you sometime down the road.
Hope you're ok man.

import_azn
06-26-2005, 10:57 PM
thanks for the concern, i did get x-rays and they came negative.
does anyone know the book value of my car?

schurchill39
06-26-2005, 11:06 PM
I am in the same situation as you with a 1989 so i would like to find a book value to. I have heard things all over the scale though from about 500-3000 so i couldnt tell ya

import_azn
06-27-2005, 11:08 AM
pic

69cougar
06-27-2005, 11:12 AM
^^^ OUCH

:banghead:

Lo)2enz0
06-27-2005, 11:56 AM
Wow I know that exact intersection, has to be the first accident I have seen or heard of there. So what happened.

rage2
06-27-2005, 12:08 PM
That looks like Arbour lake by the trailer park? Ouch, that looks like a write off.

Keep hounding the ins. company if you don't feel they have a good offer. If they lowball you, keep arguing with them and tell them you will consider talking to a lawyer. Ins. companies love to lowball on the first offer and tell you that's all you'll get, even if it's unfair.

This is why I always tell people if their cars are worth more than book value, HAVE IT APPRAISED at least once, regularly if possible. It won't cost you more in payments, and it will guarantee you will get that value if anything happens.

Originally posted by Lo)2enz0
Wow I know that exact intersection, has to be the first accident I have seen or heard of there. So what happened.
If that's the arbour lake intersection where crowfoot honda and 7-11 is, then it's safe to guess that some guy thought that intersection was still a 4 way stop, and turned in front of him resulting in a huge t-bone accident. I've had guys turn in front of me many times there since the lights were installed.

t-im
06-27-2005, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by rage2
If that's the arbour lake intersection where crowfoot honda and 7-11 is, then it's safe to guess that some guy thought that intersection was still a 4 way stop, and turned in front of him resulting in a huge t-bone accident. I've had guys turn in front of me many times there since the lights were installed. [/B]

Same. haha I avoid that intersection because it's always so busy.

Lo)2enz0
06-27-2005, 12:28 PM
ya, thats the intersection I am talking about. damn some people are idiots. I hate merge onto crowchild by there. I just got my advan sa3r's on and I was going down crowchild and some guy swung out from behind this old lady, almost hit me I slammed on my brakes and my calipers locked and well my new rubber (well not brand new), shot. Thats little area sucks. I hated it with 4 way stop.

schurchill39
06-27-2005, 04:52 PM
Ouch... with something like that there is a very good possibiliy of back problems etc so again make sure you keep in touch with a doctor and insurance agent about that.