PDA

View Full Version : Phil249

Ramdawg
06-26-2005, 07:16 PM
Hey has anyone taken this phil249? If so how would you describe your experience. Also has anyone taken phil201?

three.eighteen.
06-27-2005, 03:16 AM
201 is intro to problems of philosophy or something like that right, took it at mtroyal...good course, makes you realize all those weird questions you ask yourself late at night that really have no answer are actually worth something

blacky
06-27-2005, 07:35 AM
i took phil 249 and it was an alright class but the only problem is that it is all essays and that there are no right answers......eg: is abortion morrally wrong??
so if thats your cup of tea then I would take it and if thats not then I would not take it.....but I certainly liked it

Ramdawg
06-27-2005, 05:12 PM
Yeah thanks for the insight, I dont mind writing essays, but the intro sounds pretty interesting to me too. I just need a humanities option and I know I will not be good at languages. Thanks bros

EK 2.0
06-27-2005, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by blacky
i took phil 249 and it was an alright class but the only problem is that it is all essays and that there are no right answers......eg: is abortion morrally wrong??
so if thats your cup of tea then I would take it and if thats not then I would not take it.....but I certainly liked it

the no right or wrong answers was my fave part of the course...that's the whole kicker to philosophy...

I loved that course to death...

Mckenzie
06-28-2005, 10:48 PM
249 was one of my favorite courses in the past 3 years. Very applicable to real life situations. If you can PLEASE try to take it with Norm Gall. He is one of the best profs at the UofC by far....an absolute genious and he is so funny. You will enjoy every waking moment of that class I guarantee. I wish I could take it again.

DEREK57
07-02-2005, 10:26 PM
I took 201 with Gall, it was very interesting...some of the contemporary stuff bored me, but if you enjoy philosophy its a good starter. Im taking 249 this coming year, with White, (ratemyproff says hes good, anyone know? :dunno:), and it sounds pretty interesting to me. I find the key is to get an answer that is justifiable, not neccesarily 'right'.