PDA

View Full Version : Need a Credit Card

Kobe
06-26-2005, 11:09 PM
Ahh, i need a credit card, whats the easiest place to get one with, parents will co-sign for it, as they want me to build credit..

I heard President's choice is hard to get, and CIBC stundent cards are easy, but i'm not a student, as i'm going to be taking a year off..

Only reason why i need a credit card is to build credit, i guess car insurance probobly isn't enough...

szw
06-26-2005, 11:14 PM
How can it be hard to get a credit card? They love giving that shit away.

Even if you don't have any income at all just write something down for income anyways and I'm sure you will get one. I think my first credit card was the presidents choice one, I think I just made something up for income and got it no problem.

Kobe
06-26-2005, 11:23 PM
Presidents choice didn't even ask me for income, and i made $15,000 part time this year..

I applied twice to them, both times got rejected LOL

Glad now, since I quit my job at superstore..

I'm going to try CIBC and TD tommorow

eblend
06-26-2005, 11:29 PM
mbna, apply online and u will absolutely positively will get a credit card, bmo is also not bad

Sorath
06-26-2005, 11:33 PM
go for the caa mastercard.. they'd accept u no problem

Kobe
06-26-2005, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Sorath

will i need to have a membership with them?

Never heard of mbna, but i'll try it..

dooman24
06-26-2005, 11:44 PM
lol
i got rejected from
TD green card Visa
Cibc Visa
MBNA Master Card
hehe i don't know why they rejected me.. i made 25 000 in half a year..
lol maybe the overdrafts on my bank account affected my credit report..

anybody can give me hints on how to rebuilt it? i wanted to get a cell phone but i needed a credit card.. HAHA i need a bill to rebuilt my credit to get a credit card but i cna't get a bill without a Credit Card.. duh.. retarded..

BebeAphrodite
06-27-2005, 12:21 AM
Your parents can't co-sign to get you a CC because then it would be under their name with you as someone using it. So it does nothing for your credit.

I'd say the easiest CCs to get are the student CCs, would u happen to be a student as a post-secondary school? At UC they stand in MacHall handing out t-shirts if you fill out the form.

theken
06-27-2005, 12:41 AM
i got a scotia value visa and made no money and a 5000 limit, i maxed it out and payed it off now i got an easy 16000 limit, which is gone now :( yet it feels so good

Skyline_Addict
06-27-2005, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by BebeAphrodite
Your parents can't co-sign to get you a CC because then it would be under their name with you as someone using it. So it does nothing for your credit.

I'd say the easiest CCs to get are the student CCs, would u happen to be a student as a post-secondary school? At UC they stand in MacHall handing out t-shirts if you fill out the form.

this is true. it's not hard to get a student CC...cause all you gotta be is a student. but in your case, i guess I'd just try out some options. just see whatever works for you! good luck.

rahim
06-27-2005, 12:57 AM
Canadian Tire credit cards are pretty easy to get, might want to try them out

dragonone
06-27-2005, 01:35 AM
don't overdrafts stay on file for 3 years?

store credit cards are extremely easy to apply for, but try the student ones

ever asked why they turned u down?

lude_grl
06-27-2005, 05:53 PM
scotia is one of the hardest to get :(
i hate turning ppl down :p

Khyron
06-27-2005, 05:56 PM
Each time you apply, I believe that goes on your credit report (loans for sure, not 100% on ccs though). At any rate, a 500 dollar limit card shouldn't be hard at all - if I was in your shoes I'd pull my credit report and find out what's in there. Wherever you bank should be more likely to give you a card if you can show you have a balance.

Khyron

Xtrema
06-27-2005, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by dooman24
lol
i got rejected from
TD green card Visa
Cibc Visa
MBNA Master Card
hehe i don't know why they rejected me.. i made 25 000 in half a year..
lol maybe the overdrafts on my bank account affected my credit report..

anybody can give me hints on how to rebuilt it? i wanted to get a cell phone but i needed a credit card.. HAHA i need a bill to rebuilt my credit to get a credit card but i cna't get a bill without a Credit Card.. duh.. retarded..

Stop applying. All those failed entries will make you look even worse. Overdraft account also hurts.

See if you can get a Personal Line of Credit from the bank using T4 or company letter to prove your income. And goes from there.

Also, if you get rejected so many times, check credit report and see if you got loans you don't know about. ID theft may make this possible.

JAYMEZ
06-28-2005, 12:15 AM
Royal Bank in Strathcona... I went in , said I needed a credit card.. Didnt fill any mortgage or co-signing.. and got accepted.

Kobe
06-28-2005, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
Royal Bank in Strathcona... I went in , said I needed a credit card.. Didnt fill any mortgage or co-signing.. and got accepted.

I'll go in tommorow

CRXguy
06-28-2005, 12:30 AM
i got my amex with 10k limit just filling the form out for fun. :D

JordanEG6
06-28-2005, 12:36 AM
student visa at the bank, they are very lenient (sp?) on payments but the interest is high. if u ahve a PLOC, pay your credit with that then use your PLOC as debt...its way less interest upon your part..maybe 8%...as opposed to maybe 18 with a CC

91_Integz
06-28-2005, 09:46 AM
If you make more than $1200 per month and your credit score is above 650 you should be able to get a card with a $500 limit at ATB Financial

69cougar
06-28-2005, 10:20 AM
Credit cards are over rated as a credit building tool. It is better than nothing but your bureau gains strength more of loans etc.

Stikk you need to start somewhere I guess

91_Integz
06-28-2005, 12:49 PM
I wouldn't say over rated - they are the easiest form of credit to get

scooby_dooby
06-28-2005, 12:55 PM
you cam call capital one and ask for a "secured card"

no matter how bad your credit is you will get one, minimum balance is $200, more if your credit isn't completely shot.

They require a $75 deposit.

Kobe
06-28-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Kobe

but i'm not a student, as i'm going to be taking a year off..

Don't really want a credit card, but paying car insurance isn't going to get me alot of credit...

lastprodigy
06-28-2005, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Sorath

:werd:

got this one with no income lol....at uni

pr0
08-24-2005, 01:08 PM
Sorry to bump this old thread but what exactly is overdraft?

Thaco
08-24-2005, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by pr0
Sorry to bump this old thread but what exactly is overdraft?

allowing your bank accoutn to go to negatives. its worse intrest rates than credit cards, and fucks your credit hard.

pr0
08-24-2005, 04:53 PM
I don't have overdraft nice :D

Is it hard on your credit report or something? I have been negative once from not having enough but they never let it through so I ended up just having to pay the fee.

Thaco
08-24-2005, 04:55 PM
its very bad if you leave the overdraft limit maxed for a lenght of time.

pr0
08-24-2005, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
its very bad if you leave the overdraft limit maxed for a lenght of time.

It was like a day and they only charged me the 25 bucks fee for insufficient funds. Is that a big deal or no?

K271
08-24-2005, 05:11 PM
Don't get mbna, they have a ridiculously higher interest rate. Just go get a CIBC student card, they'll give you a bare limit which by the sounds of it is all you need.

Xtrema
08-24-2005, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by pr0

It was like a day and they only charged me the 25 bucks fee for insufficient funds. Is that a big deal or no?

Overdraft on your saving account and late payments on credit cards are both very hurtful to your credit score.

I suppose you wrote a check and bounced. Not only the bank charges you $25, the recipient of the check also get charge $25-$30. Whoever you did this to, you should pay the man back (unless it's your intention to screw him :D ).

You can purchase overdraft potection from your bank and a personal credit line will also help.

pr0
08-24-2005, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Overdraft on your saving account and late payments on credit cards are both very hurtful to your credit score.

I suppose you wrote a check and bounced. Not only the bank charges you $25, the recipient of the check also get charge $25-$30. Whoever you did this to, you should pay the man back (unless it's your intention to screw him :D ).

You can purchase overdraft potection from your bank and a personal credit line will also help.

haha I have never been late on a single payment for my CC, only thing is I had a negative balance of like 25 bucks for one day because the cell phone bill was massive and I didn't know... I'm hoping that's nothing to worry about. :(

I don't have that overdraft protection thing because I don't think I really need it... it was just that one time and I paid the 25 bucks like the next day.

LadyVenom
08-24-2005, 11:56 PM
I went to a Canucks game back in 2000, and saw that I'd get a free bucket hat for filling out a form to get a credit card. At the time, I had never had a job before, still lived with my parents, and relied on them for any income I had. I laughed my ass off when 2 months down the road, I had a MBNA Canucks Mastercard sitting in my hand with a $1000 limit.

It was all great for the first 2 years, and I paid off everything right away whenever I charged anything. But then, I ended up charging some airplane tickets and a shopping trip on there, and I haven't looked back. I now have a $5000 limit, and I've been stuck with a $4200 balance for over a year now, eventhough I end up putting at least $140 if not $200 on it each month, and barely use the card. Interest sucks!

Xtrema
08-25-2005, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by LadyVenom
It was all great for the first 2 years, and I paid off everything right away whenever I charged anything. But then, I ended up charging some airplane tickets and a shopping trip on there, and I haven't looked back. I now have a $5000 limit, and I've been stuck with a $4200 balance for over a year now, eventhough I end up putting at least $140 if not $200 on it each month, and barely use the card. Interest sucks!

Credit card companies loves people like you.

MBNA probably charges 18-20% in interest. I suggest you to check out loan consolidation. Borrow cheaper at 8-10% and pay off your credit card debt so you won't hurt as much.

Or get another credit card with low rate and do a balance transfer.

For example, as a new PC Mastercard owner, you can transfer any loan to this card up to the limit and only pay 5% til the transfer is paid off.

http://www.pcmastercard.ca/ROCEN/cardApp/contentPG/premium_low_balance_transfer_rate.asp

dooman24
08-25-2005, 10:53 AM
WERD.. over draft kills lol..
why can't the bank just send me a bill like veryone else.. instead of just sticking hit hands in my bank account and take money out when i don't have money..
impatient jerks..

K271
08-25-2005, 11:14 AM
get over draft protection or a line of credit, that will solve your issues