PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice writing a Resume.

Xodius
06-26-2005, 11:44 PM
I recently Graduated High School, and decided it's finally time for me to get a job. Prior to this, I've been covering my expenses through freelance programming, but that is not a reliable source of income and I'd like a steady job.

So, a few questions, since I don't want to royally screw up my application.

First -- What all should I put in a resume? Aside from a couple of volunteer things such as working in my school's store, I've never really had a job, so that sort of eliminates any sort of Job Experience cateogry.

Secondly, What should I hand in along with my Resume? I did take a Career and Life Management course in school and we did a portfolio, but I'm confident a lot of the stuff we went over isn't anything the employer is expecting;

Thanks!

Gainsbarre
06-27-2005, 09:35 AM
Instead of "job experience", think about having a "related experience" category where you can talk about your volunteer activities and such. Your freelance programming is defintely worth mentioning as well, especially if you're applying for a job that involves computers.

Hand in nothing more than what they're asking for...this will usually just be a cover letter and resume. Those portfolios you did at CALM are to give you ideas when you're composing your resume. Don't hand in a portfolio with your resume (unless they request it), but it will probably be useful to bring with you to an interview.

awd
06-27-2005, 09:45 AM
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/CT063470421033.aspx

hockeybronx
06-27-2005, 04:06 PM
It really depends on the job you are going towards.

In my Calgary Fire Department application, since it is a career I gave them basically all I had. In this initial application (step 1) I handed in a 3-page resume (there was no page limit), as well as a cover letter and reference page.

Later on when I went in for my interview (step 3) I put together a full 55 page professional portfolio to take into the interview with. I wasn't able to use it during the question period, but they looked at it when assessing the interview.

Things I included in my resume:
- objective
- highlighs of skills
- employment experiences
- certifications
- volunteerism/community involvement
- interests
- 4 employment references and 4 character references

The portfolio wasn't "neccessary", but what it did was give me confidence since I spent 50+ hours putting it together, and it showed good preparation when I walked into the interview.

Tyler883
06-27-2005, 10:45 PM
think of the resume as an ad that is supposed to get you an interview. Put stuff on it that you feel the employer wants to see.

broken_legs
06-28-2005, 08:57 PM
1.) DO NOT put in an objective. Ever. What if your objective has something in it that you will never get from that job? They toss your resume in teh garbage. Don't use a retarted objective like "work hard ina professional environment" its just fluff no one reads it.

2.) Put your relevant skills/experience/qualifications at the top. The average employer spends 45 seconds a resume, make sure the 45 seconds on your is reading the important stuff that gets you the job.

3.) Target your resume for the job. If you are applying for a computer job hilight your programming and techincal skills as they apply to the specific position.

4.) Learn about the job and position you are applying for. The more you know about it the more you can tailor your resume to exactly what they are looking for. It also makes it easy to relate general interview questiosn to teh job. The worst thing you can do is apply for a job and have no idea what its all about in an interview.

5.) Formt Format Format

6.) Format it again

7.) Get it reviewed by different people and.... Re-Format

8.) It's all in how you word your skills and experience. If you were a free lance programmer dont just say "did some freelance programming". LIven it up to say something like
- Assessed specifications and designed custom software to meet customer needs on time and under budget

9.) BULLSHIT. Everyone bullshits on their resume. Find creative ways to describe things.

10.) BULLSHIT. Bullshit in your interview. You didn't necessarily have to do it or have the experience as long as you know what you are talking about and you can pull it off with confidence. Relate your bullshit to the job when you answer their questions.

11.) learn about the company.

12.) Don't apply to jobs posted in the newspaper. Only losers apply to those jobs. You know when they tell you in school that 90% of jobs go unposted? They are 100% correct. ALL of the 'REAL' jobs I've had were through connections I made with friends, and networking.

13.) Don't limit yourself to whats available in the work world. Find out what YOU want to do. Then go to that company or that industry and start applying like crazy for a few weeks.

14.) Write a cover letter. If tis a real job people may not actually read your crappy cover letter ut they still expect to see one.

15.) Go to interviews at jobs that you know you don't even want. its good practice. It builds your confidence.

16.) Ask lots of questions. If you don't ahve any questions toask they will think your socially inert or you don't care about the job. Why would you take a job you don't know anything about anyways???

All that stuff I just wrote is stuff I used in finding my jobs. I borrowed a lot of it from helpful people at schoo and people I've met in industry. Maybe its not the best advice but it works damned good for me.

I just got a new job today actually :D

Hope this helps y0

Official Hoser
07-06-2005, 03:17 PM
Here's some more advice:
http://www.ucalgary.ca/careers/students/sample_resumes/index.html

FiveFreshFish
07-06-2005, 05:25 PM
- Make sure your tenses are consistent.

- No spelling or grammatical errors.

- Don't bullshit about stuff they can check.

- If you mail it, use a full-size envelope so you don't have to fold it.

broken_legs
07-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

- Don't bullshit about stuff they can check.

Really?? How are they going to do that - Hire a private investigator?

I thought by law all your old company can do is tell them what your position was and how long you worked there.
That is if the potential employer contacts your HR department. They are not allowed to say anything good or bad or give out any other details of your employment.

Now if you give someone as a reference they can say good stuff and no bad stuff and tell them what you used to do.