PDA

View Full Version : Audio System help

prada_2o0o
06-27-2005, 12:05 AM
Ive hooked up a few systems but Im having problems with the one in my girlfriends car. I just wired it up , it runs for a bit then the fuses blow on the amp. They are 15A fuses.(came with the amp) Why would this be happening? I checked all my wiring it seems to be everything is fine. I guess my question is what are some troubleshooting things I can do so this doesnt happen.

I purchased a 4 guage wiring kit, 16 guage speaker wire in the box and to the amp. I have also tried different grounding points around the trunk.

The sub is an old Alpine ZR 10" DVC 500x2 peak,150wx2 rms(wiring goes from pos/pos neg/neg on the sub, then from one side to the box. Then from the box to the amp.

The amp is a new lightning audio mono amp, http://www.epinions.com/pr-Lightnin...lay_~full_specs
There is some info on the amp.

If I turn it up with the gain all the way down and then turn gain up slowly I will be fine sometimes but then as soon as i touch the volume the fuse goes. Or if i set the gain then turn the deck volume to normal listening volume, as soon as i go to set the crossover it will blow?

there is 2 15amp fuses on this amp and they just keep popping. The wiring is all how it should be.
im lost?

rahim
06-27-2005, 12:16 AM
are you sure the sub is dual 4 ohm and not dual 2 ohm?

prada_2o0o
06-27-2005, 12:27 AM
to be honest i dont know the difference.. if there is a different way for me to hook it up please let me know, all i know is that it is an old sub.

rahim
06-27-2005, 12:31 AM
if it is dual 4 then you have it wired for a 2 ohm load which is probably where your amp puts out its power

if it is dual 2 then you have it wired for a 1 ohm load and that would cause your amp to blow fuses

unless you have a multimeter you will need to take the sub out of the box and check the magnet

might be the amp as well, do you have another sub you can hook up to it? just to see if the fuses blow

Khalil
06-27-2005, 09:14 AM
do you have any home audio speakers laying around?

Try hooking that up to your amp, as rarely do home speakers go below 4 ohms. If that works fine, you've probably got yoru sub wired to an impedence lower than your amp can handle.