PDA

View Full Version : ***AB's Thread**

2.4l
06-27-2005, 03:32 AM
Everyone loves a nice, cut, strong, flat set of abs.. take your shirt off on a hot summer day and chances are you will have more attention then you would like if you have a nice set of abs to match up with your body.. just from personal experience ha.. anyways i really want to improve mine .. they are in decent condition allot better then pretty much everyone i see, but not quite as ripped as magazine fitness stars.. anyways ive read quite a bit on them and here is the new routine i have come up with for my abs, ill give it a shot for a month and see what results from it? id love to do a before and after shot here if it wasnt for all the haters..
anyways heres the plan
1)Flat bench leg raises.. 3 sets of 30
2) Incline leg raises.. 3 /30
3) kneeling crunches w/rope 3/10-15
4)elevated legs, upper back hanging off bench cruches 3/30
5) hanging from chin up bar leg rasies ALL THE WAY to the bar (no pussy shit here) very few people are capable of this but its super easy once you gain stregth for it.. 3/15.. you can also do side raises for those ultra sexy obleces.. not sure on spelling..

ANy other suggestions are welcome.. this is a new plan for me which i will do 3 times per week.. im not a fan of the one where you get our friend to push your legs.. waste of time.. machines are ok for building but lack the cutting i need. the first 4 are all new things ive never done before.. lets see if we can turn this 6 pack into a ninja turtle 8 pack.. and always remember .. LIGHT WEIGHT LIGHT WEIGHT!!!!!!:bigpimp:

ryder_23
06-27-2005, 03:48 AM
This thread might help.
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81874

2.4l
06-27-2005, 01:00 PM
ummm thanks... but this thread is more of an excersize oriented deal compared to diet/cardio.. all it says is do 8-15 reps with resisitance.. gives no motions to do.. also that thread says they want a visible sixpack.. were going for 8 here so my thread pretty much owns that one.;)

JAYMEZ
06-27-2005, 02:24 PM
I think you need to read my thread again... You know most those things wont burn off the fat thats covering the abs.. Do you have defined abs ATM? Or are you trying to get some? If you want those abs to show... Cardio and diet.

Mike23
06-27-2005, 02:42 PM
Sounds good, just trying to understand exactly what motions your doing..

1)Flat bench leg raises - Your on a bench with your legs hanging off and keeping your legs straight, you lift them kind of like a pike?

2) Incline leg raises - Same thing, just on an inclined bench? Why is this any better?

3) Kneeling crunches w/rope - I have no idea what this is... mind boggling

4) Elevated legs, upper back hanging off bench cruches - ? Only your ass is on the bench or what?

5) Hanging from chin up bar leg rasies ALL THE WAY to the bar - Sounds intense, and kind of impressive to watch, but other than bringing your legs all the way to the bar [which i'm sure i couldnt do] how is it better than the one where you rest on your elbows and lift your legs?

The leg pushes seem to work alright too, seems to be able to work some stability into the muscles too because you never know which way your partner is pushing your legs.

Haha.. maybe you could make some stick diagrams of the motions your talking about :D

1-Cent
06-27-2005, 04:27 PM
You're abs don't need alot of personal attention if you're hitting your compound excersizes hard, I only do 4 or 5 sets of 30 weighted incline crunches once a week.
If you get your form down on squats and deadlifts your abs will grow like mad. Remember abs are 90% diet though...

mac_82
06-27-2005, 04:31 PM
Everyone has abs, just like everyone has biceps. Its just not everyone can see their abs, cuz so much is covering them :D. Best bet would be a ab exercise/cardio/diet regime to maximize the benefits.

2.4l
06-27-2005, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Mike23
Sounds good, just trying to understand exactly what motions your doing..

1)Flat bench leg raises - Your on a bench with your legs hanging off and keeping your legs straight, you lift them kind of like a pike?

2) Incline leg raises - Same thing, just on an inclined bench? Why is this any better?

3) Kneeling crunches w/rope - I have no idea what this is... mind boggling

4) Elevated legs, upper back hanging off bench cruches - ? Only your ass is on the bench or what?

5) Hanging from chin up bar leg rasies ALL THE WAY to the bar - Sounds intense, and kind of impressive to watch, but other than bringing your legs all the way to the bar [which i'm sure i couldnt do] how is it better than the one where you rest on your elbows and lift your legs?

The leg pushes seem to work alright too, seems to be able to work some stability into the muscles too because you never know which way your partner is pushing your legs.

Haha.. maybe you could make some stick diagrams of the motions your talking about :D
hey you got all of them pretty much bagn on.. on the bench with leg raises you want to kinda pull up into a pike position and go slow on the way downj, shoot up your legs so you feel the crunch and burn in your abs.. the inclione gives your a different range of motion and targets differently, the kneeling cruncheswith the black rope you see people doing they kinda look like thier doing a muslim prayer i duno how else to explain, you kinda bow down.. iam kinda new to it but it seems to work very well. the hanging knee raises are for girls, the ab strenght you get from that wont ever compare to kicking fully behind your head and going slow on the way down.. yea hsome peopel seem to find it impressive i think i look like a monkey or something.. aahaha try them out i promise you willl see results.. but as for the last one just try to even bring them half way up without swinging backa nd forth.. lmk if you like it.. disregard 'diet' and cardio posts seems like an easy way out and i dont want to loose any mor weight since i will be bulking come september.. excersise, range of motion and resistance is key for abs, unless you have a beerbelly dont bother changing your diet, seems too much like something an anerexic model would do lol..

JAYMEZ
06-28-2005, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by mac_82
Everyone has abs, just like everyone has biceps. Its just not everyone can see their abs, cuz so much is covering them :D. Best bet would be a ab exercise/cardio/diet regime to maximize the benefits.

That sums it up completely.

2.4l
06-28-2005, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by mac_82
ok doods.. jaymez and mc 82.. i agree with you that everyone has abs just like biceps right? so the difference between your biceps and ronnie colemans are that yours are just more covered up LOL? i think not.. this thread is to focus on muscle building, not fat loss, you gota build those abs up strong aand in turn big ab mucsles show more, like big biceps.. i agree that you cant be packing a beer gut and have nice abs.. obviously.. so the idea here is to pinpoint the BEST excersises for ab muscle building, and has nothing to do with fat loss or diet.. now i agree that ronnie coleman and competitors do hella cardio/fat cutters before competeing to show thier abs.. but my idea is to see how much progress can be made through excersies .. changing workouts have made huge gains for me with other groups so why should abs be any different? if you have any excersies that you think would be a good addition to that intense workout plan post it, other then that we dont need to hear 'I am right, your wrong" because we obviously have very different fitness goals as i have just proven.. thanks

Wildcat
06-28-2005, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by 2.4l

ok doods.. jaymez and mc 82.. i agree with you that everyone has abs just like biceps right? so the difference between your biceps and ronnie colemans are that yours are just more covered up LOL? i think not.. this thread is to focus on muscle building, not fat loss, you gota build those abs up strong aand in turn big ab mucsles show more, like big biceps.. i agree that you cant be packing a beer gut and have nice abs.. obviously.. so the idea here is to pinpoint the BEST excersises for ab muscle building, and has nothing to do with fat loss or diet.. now i agree that ronnie coleman and competitors do hella cardio/fat cutters before competeing to show thier abs.. but my idea is to see how much progress can be made through excersies .. changing workouts have made huge gains for me with other groups so why should abs be any different? if you have any excersies that you think would be a good addition to that intense workout plan post it, other then that we dont need to hear 'I am right, your wrong" because we obviously have very different fitness goals as i have just proven.. thanks

so you telling me you want abs like ronnie coleman? lmao :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1-Cent
06-28-2005, 10:12 PM
Dude who wouldn't want distended abs? Think of how awsome they would look if your intestines were twice their normal mass!! :rofl:

jumperman8
06-28-2005, 10:39 PM
who needs amazing abs when you have a pretty face, i mean really, haha:thumbsup:

~Leah~
06-29-2005, 12:44 PM
Try taking a Pilates class. You guys would die in 5 minutes! Prove your manlihood and make it through a few of those ;) haha

But for real. This guy that played for the Colts came up to me at the gym today and asked about some lower ab exericses. He mentioned hanging leg raises and a few others. I told him I would show him 2 pilates exercises for the lower abs. He only did one of each exercise I showed him and he was shaking like crazy and sweating buckets. Damn I'm good. haha

mac_82
06-29-2005, 07:28 PM
Ok so you want ab exercises....

1. start face down on your hands and knees with a flat back. suck your stomach in until it feels like you will wrap it around your spine while flexing your abs. repeat.

2. lie on your back and do "the bicycle pedal" motion or do a "scissor" horizontal motion.

3. i use a medicine ball for a lot of sit ups, get a partner to toss it back and forth with at the top or bottom of the motion.

4. grab one of those huge plastic balls and bear hug it. then get some one to slap and hit it around so you have to keep your abs tight to control it.

5. stand back to back with a partner. pass each other a heavy medicine ball clock wise or counter clock wise.

6. while you are doing sit ups get some one to drop a medicine ball on your stomach or hit it to toughen you up! haha

7. try doing some back kicks or side kicks for a lot of reps. lots of balance required there.

yes 2.4l our training methods do differ, and make sure you use light weights on those exercises or you will get abs like ronnie coleman. sounds like most of your exercises are simply for bodybuilding. i have used mine for sport training, and martial arts. gotta work those transverse abs!

A_3
06-29-2005, 07:28 PM
^^^Like v-sits, bridges etc...?

mac_82
06-29-2005, 08:03 PM
ya sorry i dont know the technical names but those are them. great non-weight or weight assisted ab excercises.

A_3
06-29-2005, 08:21 PM
haha I was actually refering to ~leah~'s pilate post. A v-sit is more just laying on your back, then lifting your legs and upper body off the ground leaving your abs to hold you in a v shape, most painful minute of your life.

My ab work out goes...

1. 50 sit ups. Going down only so the bottems of your shoulder blades touch the ground as to not allow your abs to get a rest by going all the way down.

2. 20 legs raises. Never let them touch the ground as to not rest them and at the top of every raise lift your ass off the ground for maximum effect.

3. 50 Upper ab crunches. Lift legs like a regular crunch but only lift upper back about 6 inches off the ground. Instead of crunching towards your legs crunch up towards the ceiling.

4. 25 sides crunches per side. Legs down on the ground to the same side, crunch as far as you can up.

5. 30 regular crunches. I prefer to extend my legs and drop my back almost to the floor and then crunch together from that point to really kill my abs.

6.V-sit for a minute and thirty seconds. If you're with a partner get a medicine ball and pass it between the two of you, lowering it to the ground on the opposite side of your partner each time.

I prefer to do it 7 days a week to get maximum effect. That combined with diet and cardio should leave you sitting pretty. However you have to have your technique right or it will do shit for, really concentrate on maximizing every rep.

2.4l
06-30-2005, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by ~Leah~
Try taking a Pilates class. You guys would die in 5 minutes! Prove your manlihood and make it through a few of those ;) haha

But for real. This guy that played for the Colts came up to me at the gym today and asked about some lower ab exericses. He mentioned hanging leg raises and a few others. I told him I would show him 2 pilates exercises for the lower abs. He only did one of each exercise I showed him and he was shaking like crazy and sweating buckets. Damn I'm good. haha
ha! since when do football players have ripped abs.. allot of them are superpowerfull and some are in decent shape.. but most i have met are fat slobs hahaha... MAC82 thanks for the program ill give it some consideration.. i made up a new ab one today too goes like this > incline leg kickback raises BUT i put a sretchy elastic skipping rope under then end of the bench touching the ground and put my feet through the handles.. then try the leg raises.. i could barley even stretch the rope it was pretty intense!!! ill try to find one with less resistance next time..

Mike23
06-30-2005, 02:47 PM
mac_82, I do tons of back & side kicks... doesnt make me ripped, thats for sure. I wish it did. :angel:

ExRollen
07-01-2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by ~Leah~

Was he D-line by chance?

~Leah~
07-02-2005, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by ExRollen

Was he D-line by chance?

Running back

mac_82
07-02-2005, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Mike23
mac_82, I do tons of back & side kicks... doesnt make me ripped, thats for sure. I wish it did. :angel:

I bet your core is strong though. Takes lots of balance to do kicks like that. Sit ups wont make you ripped either.