PDA

View Full Version : War of the Worlds *Spoiler warning*

AznDragon2004
06-27-2005, 03:30 PM
I'm so pumped up for this movie. Can't wait till Thursday when i go see it. :D This movie will be this summers blockbuster.

Anyone here excited for this film?

Proyecto2000
06-27-2005, 03:31 PM
i wanna see it, looks good in the previews

?????
06-27-2005, 03:35 PM
I was gonna watch Batman yesterday but postponed it to Thursday. I also wanted to watch War of the Worlds...but i think i'm gonna have to watch War of the Worlds first.

lsc2g
06-27-2005, 03:44 PM
yea the previews keep showing more and more shit.. i think its gonna be awesome!!

7thgenvic
06-27-2005, 03:57 PM
should be a goodie! i dont' like watching all of the preview tho! kinda giving away the good stuff

JAYMEZ
06-27-2005, 04:00 PM
I think this is gonna kick ass... The only thing im afraid of is that it is PG13....

89coupe
06-27-2005, 04:15 PM
KING KONG will be the biggest movie of 2005:D

Watch for the World Premier of the trailer tonight.

http://media.themoviebox.net/movies/KingKong/TVTeaser/
http://media.themoviebox.net/movies/KingKong/TVTeaser2/
http://media.themoviebox.net/movies/KingKong/TVTeaser3/

NBC -- immediately following "Fear Factor"
USA Network -- immediately following "Law & Order: SVU
SCI FI Channel -- immediately following "Stargate-SG1"
Bravo -- immediately following "West Wing"
Universal HD -- immediately following "Airport '77"
MSNBC -- immediately following "Countdown with Keith Olberman"
CNBC -- immediately following "Cover to Cover"
Telemundo -- immediately following "La Mujer en el Espejo"
Mun2 -- premiere during the two-hour block of "The Roof."

ronaldo
06-27-2005, 04:55 PM
the sneak preview for war of the worlds is tonight!!...unfortunately i dont get to go:cry:

kiwi
06-27-2005, 07:19 PM
I'm excited! I'll probably see it on Thursday.

Obscura
06-27-2005, 07:25 PM
the book is good, the original movie wasn't.

I just hope I can enjoy it despite Tom Cruise starring in it:dunno:

lsc2g
06-27-2005, 10:57 PM
holy fuck king kong looks awesome!

2002civic
06-27-2005, 11:03 PM
they both look good

ZEDGE
06-27-2005, 11:35 PM
King Kong looks retarded... :nut:

wtf kong meets jurrasic park.... :thumbsdow

War of the Worlds is gonna be amazing. :thumbsup:

ronaldo
06-27-2005, 11:38 PM
my sister just got home from the sneak preview...she said it was wickked

AznDragon2004
06-29-2005, 11:21 AM
Calgary herald has some bad critics. I doubt this movie is 2 1/2 stars out of 5. Many people i've talked to said it's a awesome movie.

Phy
06-29-2005, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by ZEDGE
King Kong looks retarded... :nut:

wtf kong meets jurrasic park.... :thumbsdow

War of the Worlds is gonna be amazing. :thumbsup:

King Kong always had a T.Rex in it. Go rent the original movie.

WotW should kick some ass, even with Cruise being such a fucktard right now. The guy can act.

Xtrema
06-29-2005, 01:47 PM
I don't expect WotW is any better than Signs.

ZorroAMG
06-29-2005, 03:18 PM
^ yeah cause they are totally similar movies...:nut:

b_t
06-29-2005, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
I think this is gonna kick ass... The only thing im afraid of is that it is PG13....

a couple critics said that if anyone other then spielberg directed it, it would have been rated R since it is pretty violent in some parts, and it is just PG-13 out of respect to arguably the best director of all time. definitely the biggest money maker, his movies have made like $3.4 billion or something.

SUPRAPHAT
06-29-2005, 03:54 PM
So did anyone see this yet today?

Yay or Nay?

I'm gonna go see it tonight I think

Jason

BerserkerCatSplat
06-29-2005, 07:16 PM
Yeah, apparently this is just as much a horror movie as it is a thriller... well, according to the Sun, anyway. And I never trust their reviews. So screw it. I'll see it on the weekend.

K271
06-29-2005, 10:25 PM
Just saw it... It's alright... kind of some stupid lines in it and some weird scenes that just make no sense what so ever. I won't spoil the movie, but my opinion was that it was alright, not a block buster at all... Smiths was a better movie. You'll get a better sense of the movie if you see the television series or the read the book, other wise some of the stuff that happens won't make sense.

lam-boy
06-30-2005, 12:19 AM
movie was good, I liked it and enjoyed it...cept for the two fagging fuck bags behind me in the theater talking the whole time.

talk about shitting your pants in real life if that happened.

Foreign1
06-30-2005, 01:27 AM
yeah.. the end of the movie is fucking retarded. other than that... kept me entertained

kiwi
06-30-2005, 01:29 AM
The ending was kinda weird, but overall I thought the movie was good. I was on the edge of my seat pretty much the whole time!

kenny
06-30-2005, 01:36 AM
Just thought I'd temporarily hijack this thread and mention our front page poll has finally been updated! :thumbsup:

PS: Its got something to do with movies! haha

Fluidic
06-30-2005, 05:59 AM
FUCKING INTENSE!!!!

Great movie. Went with a crew of buddies -- most seemed to enjoy it! I was STUNNED! Fucking INCREDIBLE effects!

INCREDIBLE!!!

nambis
06-30-2005, 03:32 PM
tom cruise is a moron :thumbsdow

Hakkola
06-30-2005, 05:01 PM
Hahaha, the end is retarded? I haven't seen it yet but I asked my friend awhile ago, "How will it end?" The movie is about aliens attacking the world and the main protagonist is the average joe, I can't see it having a great ending, I still wanna see this movie though, should be entertaining at least.

Wildcat
06-30-2005, 07:06 PM
was it just me or was the whole movie just ppl running from aliens for 2 hours?

and how the fuck did tom cruise's son live?

EnRich
06-30-2005, 09:08 PM
I saw it weds night with five of my friends... All thought it was great... I give the movie 7.5/10... The ending was rushed it seemed, thats what made it strange I think... TO anyone who wants to see it, go into the movie COMPLETLY open minded and you'll really really enjoy it... Dont think about the critics...

Kamen
07-01-2005, 02:12 AM
Just came back from it.
Good movie, weak ending.

Here are my beefs:

*SPOILERS*

Dakota Fanning
WHY WONT ANYONE STFU?!
Dakota Fanning
How the hell did his son survive let alone make it to Boston?!
What the hell is that bloody vein stuff? Are they trying to terraform the Earth?
Really weak ending...almsot as bad as Signs...even humans can make vaccines, how come superior ufos aren't immune to anything? Shouldn't they know about this shit before the invade? It's like invading Russia in the winter wearing swimming trunks.

gkAeris
07-01-2005, 02:59 AM
i'm soo confused after watching it, i don't even understand it?

Spoilers....

i couldn't hear what tom cruise was sayign about the birds at the end, and how did the aliens die? like how come they were dying? nothign made sense, are they eating the humans? and using their blood? what's with the vien stuff?

aiya someone explain! hahaha:cry:

lam-boy
07-01-2005, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by gkAeris
i'm soo confused after watching it, i don't even understand it?

Spoilers....

i couldn't hear what tom cruise was sayign about the birds at the end, and how did the aliens die? like how come they were dying? nothign made sense, are they eating the humans? and using their blood? what's with the vien stuff?

aiya someone explain! hahaha:cry:

SPOILERS omg omg

he said "look at the god damn birds" something to that line..
they died because they didnt have an immune system or something along the lines of that. ya I guess they were sucking the human bloods/juices out of them and using it for food. I don't know what the veins were for though, someone want to enlighten me?

AznDragon2004
07-01-2005, 09:09 AM
Awesome movie but i thought the ending was poorly done

Kamen
07-01-2005, 10:04 AM
He said to look at the birds to signify that their shields were no longer active so that they could blast the fuck out of them.
I think...

Wildcat
07-01-2005, 10:38 AM
obviously the vein plant things were how the aliens were to make a suitable environment for themselves (using recycled humans :barf: ). but they didnt take to the planet so they all died due to a thin plot line.

JAYMEZ
07-01-2005, 11:33 AM
Awesome movie , defiantly worth seeing... I read the book so I had to tell everyone I saw it with what the hell happened at the end.... The aliens had to let down the force fields cuz of the birds , and I think the bacteria eventually killed them.

Wildcat
07-01-2005, 11:35 AM
The aliens had to let down the force fields cuz of the birds

dude, that makes no sense

Kamen
07-01-2005, 11:54 AM
:rofl: Superior technology...only to be beaten by the birds and the bees

lam-boy
07-01-2005, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Wildcat

dude, that makes no sense

ya wtf.. haha
why would they let down their shields on purpose to die?
its more than likely they became ill and weak withou tthe immune system and had to let it down because they were dying.

lsc2g
07-01-2005, 12:42 PM
good movie but ending was kinda weak.. like the son showing back up.. c'mon yo he got pwned bad and we know it.

JAYMEZ
07-01-2005, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by lam-boy

ya wtf.. haha
why would they let down their shields on purpose to die?
its more than likely they became ill and weak withou tthe immune system and had to let it down because they were dying.

Because when they picked all the humans up , they had to have there force fields down.... So when the birds touched them , they had to let there force fields down so they could try and get the birds off... Understannnd? Thats why Cruise was like " THE BIRDS"

Wildcat
07-01-2005, 03:42 PM

Because when they picked all the humans up , they had to have there force fields down.... So when the birds touched them , they had to let there force fields down so they could try and get the birds off... Understannnd? Thats why Cruise was like " THE BIRDS"

lmao, ok no. tom said "THE GODDAMN BIRDS!" signifying that the shields were infact down at that moment. why the fuck would the aliens care if there were some birds on the ship/tripod? :rofl:

Kamen
07-01-2005, 03:43 PM
Um...wouldnt turning it back on just force the birds out for dead anyways?
I just thought Tom was signalling to the army that the shields were down so blast em:dunno:

Is any of this explained in the book? Cuz I've never read it.

JAYMEZ
07-01-2005, 04:51 PM
Someone get the stupid book LOL

Phy
07-01-2005, 07:39 PM
Alright. I've never read the original book all the way through, but I have read the ending.

Spoilers do follow.

The aliens die because they were exposed to some microbe or another that is fatal to them. Now, this disease could have made it through their shields any number of ways. If the tripods take in outside air (and the aliens obviously breathe our air, in Tim Robbins' basement and right at the end you can see them), the disease could have floated in at any time their shields were down for manipulating humans. Or, we could have been carriers for the disease, and every tripod that took in humans for "processing" would have come into contact with it. This disease could have been anything - just some microbe or virus that we cope with, like the flu, or our harmless-to-us intestinal bacteria. Anything like that. But just like a mammal will die from rabies and a bird ignore it completely, so the disease ravaged the aliens but left us standing, as it always has.

To me, that's the biggest plot hole (in both the movie and the original story) - that the hyper-capable aliens didn't think to check for pathogens before they showed up and started blasting.

As for Cruise and the birds... You could see earlier in the movie that the birds were attracted to the tripods - there was a flock of seagulls heading for one. When the last tripod's shields dropped, the birds were able to land on it and throw a little bird party. The tripod was already sick at the time - it was established in the grenade scene that the tripods themselves were part biological, not just piloted machines. Anyway, Cruise, whose character was set up as being Mr. Observant, noticed that the birds were either passing through where the shields should be, or already on the tripod. So he told the soldier, who brought out a Fuckload (TM) of bazookas.

Man, I'm a nerd. :D

dj_honda
07-02-2005, 12:59 AM
You guys about the microbe thing being a plot hole....

you have to remember the book was written like 100 years ago...and I mean, there is a chance it could work. What if the alien planet didnt have that disease? Then you may say, how did they plant their tripods......well, what if they shot them down using the lightning as well??

Like every movie there are lots of ifs or hows etc. I think you have to look past the small things and see it in the big picture or theme or whatever....even the strongest, biggest, craziest being has a weakness. Just like in nature with animals, every animal, no matter how ferocious etc has a weakness. And reading older books or watching older movies, they always try to portray one of those "life" kind of themes which is what i think this story was supposed to show back in the day.

All in all I thought it was a decent movie.

Wildcat
07-02-2005, 02:08 AM
well those big tripod things were buried in the earth millions of years ago, even before man apperantly. so heres 2 plot holes;

1) if this plan was 1,000,000 years in the making youd figure the aliens would bring some cold fx or some shit. hell they were already there once to put those things in the ground youd think they wouldve noticed their error at that time and thought up of SOMETHING.

2) and why even wait a million years? why not just take over the planet as soon as they arrive? before humans, before dinosaurs who knows. wouldve saved them a shitload of trouble.

403Gemini
07-02-2005, 02:29 AM
heres the biggest problems with the movie:

SPOILERS (DUH)

1.) The aliens plant that shit in our planet millions of years ago. now in those millions of years humans have evovled, we've explored, we have done seizmic surveys, and all of this, we havent found one of these things burried beneath our cities with subways and sewer systems going on beneath us? Unless all these machines were somehow in the core of our planet, this is very unlikely we wouldnt have found ONE.

2.) As wildcat put it (VERY NICELY) the aliens have this uber technology million years ago, and then they decide "hmmm lets invade... yea now seems good" and attack. they didnt think to pack the asprin or tylonel? their insane intelligence for millions of years didnt forsee a unhospitiable environment for them? even humans think about that when we land on other planets.

3.) The aliens flew into the ground via lightning... now lets look at the size of the aliens head, then look at the size of the hole the lightning put in the pavement. the initial hole maybe was 6 inches wide... there is now way they would fit.

4.) The lightning is essentially an "EMP"... took out cruises watch, his lights, all cars... yet in the street... some guy is running around with a video camera... okay yea so its strong enough to stop his watch... but not a video camera? :dunno:

5.) If im suffering from a cold while invading a planet, i dont think ill turn off the shields to my tripod/ship/tank/toilet or anything, ill keep my shields up until i find a cure or die. either way, the shields are staying up. the aliens get a head ache or the flu and they decide "well fuck why dont i turn off the shields to my vehicle... it only makes sense... if im vulnerable why shouldnt my vehicle be?"

6.) the guns on those tripod thingies basically made people into ash but didnt destroy their clothes at all.... yet the guns could rip through buildings, burn up cars... but not burn up some clothes? well fuck that, put on a winter jacket and grab a shotgun, cause the more clothes you wear the more protection you have!

and

7.) what the fuck is the red shit? yes it was human blood that was being sprayed... but why was it becoming almost plantlike?

Essentiallyt he movie was over hyped. the aliens died cause they had pussy immune systems and no gear to protect themselves. humans have evolved over the years and our immune systems can handle the bugs and virus's in the air, whereas the aliens are new to the planet and didnt wanna wear any cool helmets or space gear cause they were confident that strolling around naked would be fine for them.

lastly JAYMEZ_STi, your theory about the birds makes absolutly no sense lol ;) just needed to be the 3rd person to say that

Kamen
07-02-2005, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

6.) the guns on those tripod thingies basically made people into ash but didnt destroy their clothes at all.... yet the guns could rip through buildings, burn up cars... but not burn up some clothes? well fuck that, put on a winter jacket and grab a shotgun, cause the more clothes you wear the more protection you have!

Did the show the clothes being unharmed while they were being vaporized? Or was it just that one scene where all the clothes start falling out of the sky?
I thought this was from the alien invaders sucking the humans dry and the clothes being leftovers rather than vaporize anything but the clothes :dunno:

Phy
07-02-2005, 11:15 AM
5.) If im suffering from a cold while invading a planet, i dont think ill turn off the shields to my tripod/ship/tank/toilet or anything, ill keep my shields up until i find a cure or die. either way, the shields are staying up. the aliens get a head ache or the flu and they decide "well fuck why dont i turn off the shields to my vehicle... it only makes sense... if im vulnerable why shouldnt my vehicle be?"

Remember the scene where Tom Cruise was getting pulled into that butthole-looking thing in the tripod? And the army guy got everyone to help pull him out, and Cruise left a couple of armed grenades in there? That butthole thing means the tripods were part biological themselves, and therefore just as susceptible to the disease as the aliens and the red vine. Thats why they were moving funny and dropping their shields at the end. It's like you getting the measles, and your horse getting horse measles or whatever, at the same time.

Rayne
07-02-2005, 11:40 AM
I honestly didn't find the movie that great and I didn't even have high expectation. The only thing I enjoyed was probably the sound effect.

Side note: Dakota Fanning would probably win first place if she ever enters a shrieking contest. (Most annoying and creepy kid ever)

SPOILER QUESTION:

Perhaps I am lost, but can someone please explain to me how the kid who plays Tom Cruise's son manage to survive and how he arrived in Boston before Cruise and Fanning did?

gkAeris
07-02-2005, 12:53 PM
and how come Boston didn't get hit?
and Tom's wife and family is all ok?

403Gemini
07-02-2005, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Phy

Remember the scene where Tom Cruise was getting pulled into that butthole-looking thing in the tripod? And the army guy got everyone to help pull him out, and Cruise left a couple of armed grenades in there? That butthole thing means the tripods were part biological themselves, and therefore just as susceptible to the disease as the aliens and the red vine. Thats why they were moving funny and dropping their shields at the end. It's like you getting the measles, and your horse getting horse measles or whatever, at the same time.

meh the machine coulda not been biological, i just thought the piolet of the machines mighta got sick and started loosing control due to a coughing fit or something ;)

and yea kamen at the beginning of the movie with the first one of those walker things was blastin at the people and their clothes were flying aroudn when they were hit.

also... anybody play half life 2? could speilberg copy the HL2's walkers anymore? :dunno:

as soon as i saw one come out of the ground i even muttered to my friend "Holy half life 2 batman" he just chuckled and nodded.

IMO speilberg has lost his touch. everything after jurassic park hasnt really impressed me. hes had a few good things in producing like shrek, saving private ryan, etc, but this... ugh

b_t
07-02-2005, 03:56 PM
I thought it was a great flick. Nothing profound, but definitely the best special effects I've seen in a long time. It was extremely entertaining, even though that dumb bitch little girl really annoyed me.

BerserkerCatSplat
07-02-2005, 04:16 PM

also... anybody play half life 2? could speilberg copy the HL2's walkers anymore? :dunno:

ugh

The original alien vehicles in Wells' book were very well-described tripods. If anything, Half-Life ripped off WotW.

duffspec
07-03-2005, 01:43 AM
I really enjoyed the flick :thumbsup: It was a little too loud for my liking, my ears were ringing when I left the theatre.

in*10*se
07-03-2005, 03:31 AM
:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

shittiest movie of the summer

the whole movie was good, until the last 2 minutes where they just cut the whole movie off...

god damnit, lord of the rings took like 45 minutes to wrap shit up... war of the worlds took 45 seconds... that was uber gay.

the last 2 minutes of the movie ruin the WHOLE movie... it had great build up, but such a weak ending.

badseed
07-03-2005, 09:21 AM
I went and watched this movie last night. I went into this movie with mixed feelings cuz of alot of the comments on this thread.

Overall I thought it was nothing spectacular but pretty good and kept me entertained for the full 2 hours. Awsome sound effects and visual effects. I agree the ending was weak and abrupt and certain parts of the film were a little far fetched even for a "Aliens attack" movie. Like the stupid ass son surviving along with the rest of the family. A would've rather seen the movie end with some of the main characters die.

Some of these posts are way too critical though, I guess some people have more of an imagination than others. What do you expect its a Sci-Fi about Aliens attacking earth and people question the realism of certain aspects of the film. Its a fictional movie, take it for what it is.

ZEDGE
07-03-2005, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by badseed

Some of these posts are way too critical though, I guess some people have more of an imagination than others. What do you expect its a Sci-Fi about Aliens attacking earth and people question the realism of certain aspects of the film. Its a fictional movie, take it for what it is.

haha, no doubt. People are way to critical.

89coupe
07-03-2005, 10:56 AM
The movie sucked ass. Special effects were pretty cool, but the story itself was lame. Won't be adding that one to my collection.:thumbsdow

brettg
07-03-2005, 11:44 AM
it was lame because they left the ending exactly the same as the book, back in the day i could see how people might have thought it was cool, but lets face it people today love to see the kick as fighting, the ending was weak, they needed to change it up at least a little bit.
and ya the special effects were kinda cool but sooooo cheesy.

JAYMEZ
07-03-2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Kamen

Did the show the clothes being unharmed while they were being vaporized? Or was it just that one scene where all the clothes start falling out of the sky?
I thought this was from the alien invaders sucking the humans dry and the clothes being leftovers rather than vaporize anything but the clothes :dunno:

Im pretty sure your right , the cloths came from the humans they picked up... I think it was the humans in the water. As for my theory ... lol guess I was wrong :D

RiCE-DaDDy
07-03-2005, 01:21 PM
how can u guys say the story was lame? yea movie may of made it seemed weak and shit, but cmon, this book is a legendary classic in english literature.

ca2p3r
07-03-2005, 01:28 PM
the book pwns the movie! :thumbsdow

Zephyr
07-03-2005, 02:14 PM
man...those tripods reminded me of half life 2. that ending felt like it was one of those "i dunno how to end this movie so ill just take something out of my ass, that hopefullly will work" iono. the movie was kinda EH. i was expecting some type of better ending rather than "nature pwned the aliens"

overall

Nature: 1
Aliens: 0

403Gemini
07-04-2005, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by badseed

ive grown up with the sci-fi genre. its probably my most favorite genre in movies. christ i own everything alien/predator/termanitor etc

the movie almost had that "mars attacks" feel but with a more "serious" tone to it. its like you almost had to expect something stupid to end up killing the aliens.

books will always own movies, and well, i think ill read the book and enjoy that for the classic it is rather than see a big budget money grab because "speilberg" is all over it.

sunfiredude
07-04-2005, 01:37 AM
worst movie evar.

Skyline_Addict
07-04-2005, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by in*10*se
:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

shittiest movie of the summer

the whole movie was good, until the last 2 minutes where they just cut the whole movie off...

god damnit, lord of the rings took like 45 minutes to wrap shit up... war of the worlds took 45 seconds... that was uber gay.

the last 2 minutes of the movie ruin the WHOLE movie... it had great build up, but such a weak ending.

yeah, i thought the movie was quite good, except for the ending. the ending just hits you as if someone decided to cut the film short in the middle of the movie.

2000_SI
07-04-2005, 10:43 AM
One of the critics I heard on the radio said it best.

"This movie has 110 minutes of awsomeness, but unfortunatly its 117 minutes long...."

Wakalimasu
07-04-2005, 11:59 AM
i totally enjoyed the movie

it totally reminded me of half life 2 :)

i didn't catch the vid cam part, and i should of heh, i mean even the flash lights didn't work.

i even enjoyed the ending even though it was short.

the movie was based on how an average joe would react in the face of such adversities. i mean it centered on cruise the whole movie. you don't see anything he doesn't see.

another thing i didn't get was.. he pocketed the ice/crystal/cold thingy at the start of the movie at the lightning strike yet they don't bring it back up later. im like.. he's pocketing it.. it might be important later

.. nope

:p

but yah i totally enjoyed it

bspot
07-04-2005, 12:03 PM
This movie did infact suck balls. The ending I thought was the best part though. It would have been SO gay if the humans with their inferior technology worked together to defeat the powerful aliens.. hurray :rolleyes:

This was the only realistic way for it to end good, something the Aliens didn't plan on that bit them in the ass.

The camcorder, the van working, Robbie living, the grenade in the tripod, and the cage falling and everyone living.. oh yeah, and the marines holding back 100,000 people from the ferry. So many brutal things about this movie.

Wildcat
07-04-2005, 06:22 PM
was it just me or did the tripod things sound creepy?

ZEDGE
07-04-2005, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by bspot
This movie did infact suck balls. The ending I thought was the best part though. It would have been SO gay if the humans with their inferior technology worked together to defeat the powerful aliens.. hurray :rolleyes:

This was the only realistic way for it to end good, something the Aliens didn't plan on that bit them in the ass.

The camcorder, the van working, Robbie living, the grenade in the tripod, and the cage falling and everyone living.. oh yeah, and the marines holding back 100,000 people from the ferry. So many brutal things about this movie.

Yes because we all know its based in reality.... :rolleyes:

Foz
07-04-2005, 09:36 PM

and how the fuck did tom cruise's son live?

He must have had a flame suit on...
oh wait.. maybe he's a mutant in the Fantastic Four movie.. oh wait.. that doesn't make sense..

the entire movie didn't make sense

Foz
07-04-2005, 09:45 PM

IMO speilberg has lost his touch. everything after jurassic park hasnt really impressed me. hes had a few good things in producing like shrek, saving private ryan, etc, but this... ugh

I agree.. should quote him with "Ouch!" from ET.
:banghead:

sexualbanana
07-05-2005, 12:21 AM
I liked the movie. I think part of it is that I managed to get past the fact that the characters are normal people. Therefore to have them suddenly pick up guns and lead an uprising against these aliens would be absolutely stupid as hell.

The movie is not necessarily about aliens attacking, in my opinion the movie was about Tom Cruise and his family trying to survive through what are obviously very trying times. It just so happens that these trying times are the result of an alien invasion.

The character development I thought was good. You can definitely see the changes in the way that family interacted from beginning to end. I think this was the main focus of the film. Tom Cruise matures from a selfish, immature, generally unloving father into a self-less, sacrificing father for his children.

The same goes for the development of Dakota Fanning and her brother.

I can see where people don't like this movie, especially when they come in expecting a Sci-fi action movie (ie Independence Day), when in fact it's more of a Sci-fi drama (ie Solaris?).

The ending does take a bit of imagination and brain work. But I don't think it's so far fetched. The ending just showed that aliens are prone to make oversights too. If I remember correctly, I think Nazi soldiers didn't expect the war with Russia to go into the winter and as a result the cold literally killed them.

But this is just my $.02.

Wakalimasu
07-05-2005, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
I liked the movie. I think part of it is that I managed to get past the fact that the characters are normal people. Therefore to have them suddenly pick up guns and lead an uprising against these aliens would be absolutely stupid as hell.

The movie is not necessarily about aliens attacking, in my opinion the movie was about Tom Cruise and his family trying to survive through what are obviously very trying times. It just so happens that these trying times are the result of an alien invasion.

The character development I thought was good. You can definitely see the changes in the way that family interacted from beginning to end. I think this was the main focus of the film. Tom Cruise matures from a selfish, immature, generally unloving father into a self-less, sacrificing father for his children.

I can see where people don't like this movie, especially when they come in expecting a Sci-fi action movie (ie Independence Day), when in fact it's more of a Sci-fi drama (ie Solaris?).

The ending does take a bit of imagination and brain work. But I don't think it's so far fetched. The ending just showed that aliens are prone to make oversights too. If I remember correctly, I think Nazi soldiers didn't expect the war with Russia to go into the winter and as a result the cold literally killed them.

my thoughts exactly

403Gemini
07-05-2005, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

i dont think people expected a independance day 2 outta this movie, im pretty sure people knew it wouldnt be "TOM CRUISE VS DA ALIENS - THE LAST SAMURAI CONTINUES" stand up fight idea. i went into the movie expecting survival from the main characters which is what ended up happening.

And as far as soemthing the aliens "oversight", i find it insulting for the aliens to be caught by something such as a virus/flu. fuck when HUMANS goto different countries we get flu shots and vaccines, and aliens didnt plan for a whole nother planet? wow they have all this intelligence but no common sense... sounds like my ex girlfriend if you ask me.

i think sci-fi drama rocks. shit i loved the series Firefly (which the movie is called "Serenity" coming out this year w00t!) the series was fairly slow moving but you got attached the the characters. the best part of the movie was the character development. i dunno, people dont like tom cruise, but i think hes an outstanding actor. also im pretty impressed that tom cruise picked the actor to play his son who i believe is canadian, and he actually had a fair bit of resemblence to cruise so it worked out nicely. fanning, i dunno, her development was rather bland the entire movie. i expected more from her, especially after a movie like Man on Fire.

like i mentioned id give the movie a 6 or a 7 outta 10. it was good, but it wasnt great, which if its from speilberg, it should be absolutly fan-fucking-tastic. maybe hes like lucas and just getting lazy in his old age?

edit: and as for the nazi's, its not that they didnt know that russia had cold winters, they just expected that they would crush russia quickly. its not that they didnt have the intel that "hey did you get the memo? yea russias cold in the winter months", no they just figured theyd be done quickly, whereas with the aliens they apparently didnt get the memo that earth, just like all other planets, has its own biological organisms floating around in the air. but hey, after millions of years of having the technology to build bi-pedal war machines, i wouldnt expect them to have the science to figure out how to make a suit to protect them from such bugs, or at least a vaccine to make their physical build up immune.

bspot
07-05-2005, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by ZEDGE

Yes because we all know its based in reality.... :rolleyes:

My bad, your right. It was totally ok for this movie to suck balls and contradict itself all over the place because it had aliens in it.

So it wasn't based in reality? Wasn't that New York? Odd, I thought it was. I'm pretty sure we have a New York on this planet too! It was just as much based in "reality" as any other hollywood movie that takes place on the earth in present day.

Hakkola
07-05-2005, 10:04 PM

Agreed, the movie did kind of suck, but it ended the only way it could have, unless all the humans died, which I would have been cool with because I hated this movie. Dakota Fanning was so fucking annoying it was unreal.

How the fuck did Tim know those things were there for a million years? It would make more sense if the electrical current sent down micro-organisms or nano-machines and the tripods built themselves. Right, nevermind, the douchebag ambulance driver is all knowing.

JordanLotoski
07-05-2005, 10:11 PM
wish i had 2 more hands so i could give it 4 thumbs down...i thought it was lame.

Weapon_R
07-13-2005, 09:21 PM
Dumb ass movie. Just paid $25 dollars to watch it, another $25 to get snacks.

Fucking waste. I'm not the brightest guy in the world, but that movie left so many questions unanswered. Most have been already addressed, but i'll add some.

Spoiler alert:

1) How the fuck did the shields automatically disappear.

2) After Tom cruise single-handedly planted 2 grenades in the alien, why did all of the other aliens decide to die off immediately after?

3) How is it that Tom Cruise, his loudass daughter (although she's an excellent actor), son, ho of a wife and all the ppl close to him survive?

4) What was the point of killing the guy in the house? If he didn't like him, why not kick him out/leave?

After 1.5 hours of running from aliens (who don't seem to ever hit Cruise), the ending was far too quick to be effective. The special effects were awesome, the acting was well done and the sounds were super, but i'd almost compare it to a cheesy Men-In-Black flick

:thumbsdow

Skyline_Addict
07-13-2005, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Dumb ass movie. Just paid $25 dollars to watch it, another $25 to get snacks.

Fucking waste. I'm not the brightest guy in the world, but that movie left so many questions unanswered. Most have been already addressed, but i'll add some.

Spoiler alert:

1) How the fuck did the shields automatically disappear.

2) After Tom cruise single-handedly planted 2 grenades in the alien, why did all of the other aliens decide to die off immediately after?

3) How is it that Tom Cruise, his loudass daughter (although she's an excellent actor), son, ho of a wife and all the ppl close to him survive?

4) What was the point of killing the guy in the house? If he didn't like him, why not kick him out/leave?

After 1.5 hours of running from aliens (who don't seem to ever hit Cruise), the ending was far too quick to be effective. The special effects were awesome, the acting was well done and the sounds were super, but i'd almost compare it to a cheesy Men-In-Black flick

:thumbsdow

this is what i can establish...
1) when the aliens went psycho when nature decided to own their asses, they must have lost control of their system control or OS and thus the shields or anything else mechanical went haywire.
2) tom cruise has good timing
3) welcome to hollywood
4) cause the guy was a loudass and wouldn't shut the fuck up. this would make it easier for the aliens to find them in their hiding spot. tom cruise had to get rid of him as there was no other way to get him to shut the fuck up.

403Gemini
07-14-2005, 12:18 AM
to expand on weapon_r's first point, yea its so true, "OMG I HAVE A STOMACH FLU! I FORGET HOW TO TURN ON MY COMPUTER!!!!" just doesnt seem logical

RiCE-DaDDy
07-14-2005, 12:28 AM
this has happened in history guys, just think back when europe was colonizing the newly discovered continents. They brought diseases and other crap that killed off the natives but in this case its like the natives that went to europe not the other way around.. Same thing here except the aliens were intelligent, so thats the only prob.

mo_virgin
07-14-2005, 02:06 AM
LOL... how can you compare natives to Aliens?

sputnik
07-14-2005, 07:10 AM

:werd:

That was one of the most over rated movies I had ever seen. It was incredibly lame and had almost NO plot... hell... Twister had a better plot and that mostly about running away from Tornados.

01RedDX
07-14-2005, 04:11 PM

Akagi Redsuns
07-14-2005, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Kamen
:rofl: Superior technology...only to be beaten by the birds and the bees

LOL, better than a cup of water like in Signs. haha.

I saw it last night and I still don't know what to think of it. I like parts of it, hated parts of it.

ZEDGE
07-14-2005, 07:39 PM

My bad, your right. It was totally ok for this movie to suck balls and contradict itself all over the place because it had aliens in it.

So it wasn't based in reality? Wasn't that New York? Odd, I thought it was. I'm pretty sure we have a New York on this planet too! It was just as much based in "reality" as any other hollywood movie that takes place on the earth in present day.

yes because every other sci fi movie is realistic.... :dunno:

people that pick movies apart drive me nutz..

whatever

its fine to like it or not like it but to go into so much detail... :whocares:

GoChris
07-18-2005, 12:42 PM
fuck i just watched this last night, it was enjoyable for the action and special effects, but my god, and 8 year old could have written a better story line.

it was almost insulting to have them explain the ending like that. geez :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

GaDDien
07-18-2005, 01:45 PM
two words

( over acting )

w3apon
07-18-2005, 01:53 PM
You guys are all bashing this movie, but it stayed on track with the original 1953 movie INCLUDING how the aliens died.
I think it would have been wrong if the ending WAS different.

I thought the movie was pretty entertaining and thought provoking on how people would act in those situations.

Not saying that I liked everything in the movie though, I do think that the son should have died (how could he have survived??)

b_t
07-18-2005, 02:54 PM
If the ending was different, and there some kind of triumphant uprising, everyone would be in here complaining right now about how Hollywood the ending was. if you ask me, if just Tom Cruise and Dakota Fanning pulled through and everyone else in the family was dead, the ending would have been way better since it wouldn't have cheapened the impact of the movie so much - so a billion people died (seems a bit low to me, considering how badly people got fucked up in, say, the ferry scene.. never mind denser areas such as Japan or China), but a family (or group) of five people, including a 10 year old girl and a pregnant mom, made it through perfectly fine?

Strider
07-18-2005, 10:13 PM
This was the most disappointing movie ever. Not only was it disappointing, it pissed me off.

I'm not as concerned that I spent $30 to see it with my gf as I am with the fact that our attendance and $$ will add to it's box office stats.

Besides all of the holes that were pointed out by everybody else in this thread, how the fuck can anyone be so dysfunctional as Tom cruise, his son, and his daughter??
That part with the son saying "i have to see this, i have to see this" pissed me off... does he have no sense of self preservation? ... yet he still manages to live to the end and beat them to Boston (which is apparently a safe haven, cause the family lived there untouched)...

Then there's Tom Cruise's character, who does stupid shit like when he gets to the parents' house and can't find anything to eat other than peanut butter when there's probably a fridge full of rich ppl's food there.

Also... when he does the grenade bit to bring down that one tripod... everybody comes to his rescue to pull him out, but they don't think to do that for any of the other people that got killed before him??

:nut:

And to top that off... the blue tint in the filming through the entire movie, except the last 5 minutes was pretty freaking annoying too.