PDA

View Full Version : Memorex DVD+R

ICEBERG
06-27-2005, 07:56 PM
Hi guy's

Does Memorex media suck?

I been using memorex DVD+R media from Futureshop for burning some DVD's on my external Firewire lacie 16X dual layer DVD burner.

Anyways so far i have Edited 2 home made DVD's and they look like crap. The Video and the audio is awfull. Then i used Maxell and things got a little better but not much.

Do you guy's recommend any other Media that might be good i can try. Sony, BenQ,Fuji ect... What do you guy's use and how does it work for you.

I am going to get new media so any ideas would be great.

PS: I use a Power Mac for video editing.

Thanks...

BokCh0y
06-27-2005, 08:59 PM
i've used the memorex cd-r's and haven't had any problems with them. all of the cd's i burnt like 5 years ago are still working. no sound degradation or anything. Been using the DVD - R's and no problem either. Maxell and Sony is also good shit.

i hear it's the 100 for $30 spindles that you gotta worry about.

crazydriver
06-27-2005, 09:04 PM
I agree with bokchoy, those memorex CDs/DVDs haven't given me any trouble yet

dragonone
06-27-2005, 09:16 PM
but is memorex considered to be above average media?
i only use ritek/ridata stuff for backup since it is known to be gd for that purpose

what's a gd brand for video editing on dvd's then?

CRXguy
06-28-2005, 12:03 AM
i use ritek/ridata as well.

Chiggles
06-28-2005, 02:51 AM
I've had nothing but good experience with Memorex. Their regular "purple label" CD-R's for music and general data have been good to me, and before they discontinued production, I bought a tonne of Memorex's Black CD-Rs for program/game burning. Was the next best thing I could find that would work on my Dreamcast and PS2 back then after Kodak stopped making their Gold CD-Rs. As far as DVDs go, I've been using Memorex DVD-R ever since I started burning DVDs and have never had a problem. All of them were created successfully and they all worked on any type of player, be it PC DVD-ROM, gaming console, or home theatre players. GOOOO MEMOREX!!!!

ICEBERG, perhaps your problem isn't the disc brand. I'd suggest trying a different burning program or turning down your burn speed at least, like 8X. And although it shouldn't matter, it could be the type of burner you have. Like, who the hell is Lacie? I've never heard of that brand before? :dunno:

djayz
06-28-2005, 03:00 AM
i use ritek/ridate dvds too no problems so far
i didnt use a few memorex cds and after a few scratches on the cds they kinda jumped and didnt sound that great.

it could be your video eidtion software thats killing the quality. i doubt its the speed of the burner or the brand as its just burning what he encoded...try burning your homemade dvd onto a memorex dvd and some other brand then compare the two...

n e ways good luck...and ritek/ridata are pretty high quality discs and you can get 8x at memoryxpress for pretty cheap :)

GoChris
06-28-2005, 08:39 AM
memorex is fine, the cd/dvd isnt gonna make your video look like shit, your video program, editing, or video source will though.

toyboy88
06-28-2005, 09:04 AM
personally i use ben-q to make home video dvd's and movie compilations and then sound/visual aspect seems exactly like dvd rentals? :)

mac_82
06-28-2005, 11:09 PM
If the video and sound quality sucks maybe check your video editing program and see if you are compressing it too much. Sounds like it isn't a DVD related problem.

Benny
06-29-2005, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by toyboy88
personally i use ben-q to make home video dvd's and movie compilations and then sound/visual aspect seems exactly like dvd rentals? :)

:werd: I got one of them 100 packs that go for $50 and they work perfectly for me. I havn't had a single coaster yet.

toyboy88
06-29-2005, 08:19 AM
^^^
haha same futureshop? :D

ICEBERG
06-29-2005, 08:44 AM
Thanks guy's

I figured out the problem.

I been using Toast 6 Titanium to burn the DVD's. I guess when i upgraded to Quicktime 7 there was some complications decoding. Because all my movies are in quicktime .MOV format. Anyways upgraded the Toast to 6.1.1 and problem was solved.

Cheers,

PS: Tried the BenQ DVD's and they are Great.:thumbsup:

Benny
07-05-2005, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by toyboy88
^^^
haha same futureshop? :D

Heh... :werd:
That 100 for $50 is a pretty good deal.

vietdood
07-07-2005, 03:14 PM
i use dynex dvd+r ($50 for 200). works just fine. video/audio quality depends on the program.