PDA

View Full Version : need to buff out scratches and some fade, reccomendations?

dymz999
06-27-2005, 09:31 PM
Ok i had my car painted at national just 2 months ago and last night some bird took a great big crap on my hood. After i pressure washed it of i find all these scratch marks and that it is slightly faded, very little.

So my question, i have a orbital buffer at home but what kinda of polish compound would you guys recommend to use on this? The area is literally liek 1.5" in diameter, nothing huge but its annoying.

rinny
06-27-2005, 09:53 PM
Pressure wash + close to the paint= very bad + take off paint/clear coat

dymz999
06-27-2005, 09:56 PM
I didn't pressure wash right close to it, from a distance.

nismodrifter
06-28-2005, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by rinny
Pressure wash + close to the paint= very bad + take off paint/clear coat

where exactly in his post did he mention that he held it close to the paint??? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

try a search on google, there has to be some advice on treating paint after a bird attack somewhere :)

AllGoNoShow
06-28-2005, 12:10 AM
I'd personally take it to a detail shop or someone who has been doing it for awhile and knows what they are doing. The wrong compound, sitting on it too long, etc.. etc.. can all burn through your brand new paint and there ges your 4g or whatever you just spent on it as you have no one to blame for it but youself.

dymz999
06-28-2005, 12:21 AM
What shop would you reccomend to take it to? Like i said its a small spot and i dont want to spend a fortune obviously, i tried search but there was only tid bits of info on shops. i searched google and man they have site that say to use a sponge, uhmm icky.

SwitchBlade
06-28-2005, 12:23 AM
I'm pretty sure that the bird residue ate away at your clear coat as it is acidic. Try putting on a one step polish by hand and see if that works clears things up.

calgarygts
06-28-2005, 03:52 PM
Don't use a sponge, and I probably wouldn't use a machine if the spot is that small. If the paint still looks really good (no swirls elsewhere) I would apply a polish by hand to try and lessen the damage from the poo. Use the least aggressive polish first to see if it works, if it doesn't try something a little more aggressive. I'm not even sure what you could find over the counter around here. I saw some professional meguire's products in canadian tire the other day (denoted by numbers like #80,#26,#7) - do some research on those and find out what you need. I've never used those but have heard good things about them. Find a microfiber or foam applicator to apply the polish and don't forget to wax afterwards. And also don't forget to wash really well before you do anything.

glennc
06-30-2005, 03:09 AM
For a DIYer go get meguires fine grit scratch and swirl remover, used with an orbital buffer, top it off with some NXT polymer wax. Bon' appitite.

Jonathan@TCS
06-30-2005, 08:33 AM
Go to The Car Salon, and ask for ED, he can fix anything.