PDA

View Full Version : Tipping at restaraunts

gonefishing
06-28-2005, 12:38 PM
Waitering or waitressing is a job based on tips. At most restaraunts they make you tip out to the kitchen/bus/host etc. i am a part time waiter and it just blows my mind that there are people out there that tip less than 10%. Me and some friends were at a place in Banff called the grizzly house for dinner after our dinner we left a 15% tip and the server asked us why we left such a small tip? i always wondered what would happen if they asked those people who tip less than 10%. what do you guys think about tipping?

88CRX
06-28-2005, 12:39 PM
if you do a half ass job why should i tip more then 10%? why should you get any tip for half ass service?

Mad$ella
06-28-2005, 12:39 PM
Kinda rude to ask that....
But as Canadians and Albertans were are the cheapest tippers in the world.

SikAssR1
06-28-2005, 12:40 PM
I usually leave a 15-20% tip depends on the server and restaurant...But if the server asked a question like "why did you leave such a small tip?" I would just take it back and leave.

bspot
06-28-2005, 12:40 PM
Tipping is GAY. Australia/Europe have it right.

Jynx
06-28-2005, 12:42 PM
A tip should be earned...
this is how it works wit me:

Bad service: i talk to the manager and get a portion of the bill removed..
Acceptable service: I round the bill to the nearest dollar (and i dont care even if its a $200 bill)

Great service: 25-30% tip

ken-gsr
06-28-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
if you do a half ass job why should i tip more then 10%? why should you get any tip for half ass service?

trust me he aint kidding, this biatch is cheap lol jk

Jynx
06-28-2005, 12:48 PM
you waiters are getting paid an hourly rate for a reason... but yet you all expect a tip...i think thats pathetic

NO ONE is forcing you to work in the field that you do...

i think the amount of things people are expected to tip for now adays is just ridiculous

tipping for a hair cut or taxi ride is the dumbest thing ive ever herd of...

2000_SI
06-28-2005, 12:51 PM
Yeah, tipping is a gratuity, not a requirement. It drives me insane when servers automatically assume that they get a tip, even if they gave mediocre service.

If you work in a restaurant, and do a crappy job, you get a shitty tip, or none whatsoever. If you did a great job, made sure we enjoyed our experience their, you get a good tip.

Complaining about tipping out isn’t going to earn you sympathy points (I am not talking to anyone directly with that, just a general comment). If you are complaining about how you get shitty tips, maybe your not doing your job right. Try a little customer service and you will get your tip. (Again, not directed towards anyone, just a little rant to snobby servers. ):thumbsup:

EnRich
06-28-2005, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Jynx
you waiters are getting paid an hourly rate for a reason... but yet you all expect a tip...i think thats pathetic

NO ONE is forcing you to work in the field that you do...

i think the amount of things people are expected to tip for now adays is just ridiculous

tipping for a hair cut or taxi ride is the dumbest thing ive ever herd of...

He really hit the nail on the head, thats exactly what I think... Waiters/waitresses should be happy to get 10%... I remember 3 years ago, 10% was just fine... It seems every single year this % goes up 3 - 5%... Exactly like he said, if you dont like your job, quit... Its just that simple... Most waiters dont even deserve 10%.. There are some that deserve more...

mac_82
06-28-2005, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Mad$ella

Originally posted by bspot
Tipping is GAY. Australia/Europe have it right.

In Australia and New Zealand there is no tipping. Restaurants actually pay their employees a DECENT amount of money, 10-15 dollars an hour for waiters and bartenders. If you actually tip there they look at you funny. Even at the bar, no one tips the bartenders. Plus what do you do if you get bad service? Its not like a smaller tip does anything. Just a thought.

FiveFreshFish
06-28-2005, 12:57 PM
The accepted norm has been 15% for a couple of decades now. I adjust as required.

Ben
06-28-2005, 12:59 PM

Actually no we're not, we're one of the HIGHEST tippers in the world, MANY places in Europe and Asia where you dont tip.

Khalil
06-28-2005, 01:00 PM
I remember once at cheesecake cafe in the NE - we got the bill, and they added a 13% tip to the bill on their own!!
Is that even ..like.. allowed? lawful?

Kinda pissed me off..but..
at the time was in a super hurry and just threw it down on the cc and didnt say anything.

TrevorK
06-28-2005, 01:00 PM
You need to look at both sides of the coin - myself as a consumer, I hate tipping when it's "forced" (And it really is).

But if I was a waiter, who was able to make $20-25/hour because of tips I'd be screaming people don't tip enough too :)

It doesn't change my view of tipping as being a shitty part of society, but I can see where the waiters are coming from since they are used to tips.

FiveFreshFish
06-28-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Khalil
I remember once at cheesecake cafe in the NE - we got the bill, and they added a 13% tip to the bill on their own!!
Is that even ..like.. allowed? lawful?

Kinda pissed me off..but..
at the time was in a super hurry and just threw it down on the cc and didnt say anything.

That's sometimes done with large parties and they need to tell you beforehand.

88CRX
06-28-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by TrevorK
but I can see where the waiters are coming from since they are used to tips.

they should expect their hourly wage, not tips

gonefishing
06-28-2005, 01:04 PM
Most restaruants in Quebec add the tip into the bill around 15% but if they do they have to state it somewhere in the menu or something.

Most restaurants pay the servers min wage or just over it. Do you think there would be people working as servers putting up with all kinds of shit if tipping wasn't commonly practiced. saying servers should expect just there wage is ridiculous.

ken-gsr
06-28-2005, 01:06 PM

they should expect their hourly wage, not tips

they get paid poorly because they are expected to make tips, it is the same as someone who works at future shop and makes a shitty wage but makes most of there salary based on commission.

mac_82
Originally posted by Ben

Actually no we're not, we're one of the HIGHEST tippers in the world, MANY places in Europe and Asia where you dont tip.

Thats exactly what I was trying to say. How are we cheap tippers when a lot of the world doesnt even tip?

And tips that are automatically added to the bill are gay. I worked at a place like that a while ago, and I didn't even get a fair share of the tips because I worked there part time, I got a lower cut of the tips for the night than the full staffers, even though we worked the same amount of hours that night. I got out of there pretty quick.

Kimchee
agreed.........

bad service = bad tip,
good service= good tip
bad service from hot waitress=good tip
good service from hot waitress=better tip...haha

abyss
06-28-2005, 01:07 PM
me and Hampstor tip pretty big, but the service has to be decent. Although, I never understood it, because a lot of the time the servers aren't doing anything exceptional for you anyways. Grocery store clerks do just as much for you as a waitress does, they ring through your 100 items and then a lot of the times I've gone, they've carried it out for me too, rain and everything. I've never tipped them cause I don't carry cash, but they deserve it a lot more than a snotty waiter/waitress that expects it does. Or people that come and get like 20 bags of dirt from a garden store and then sit in their car and expect the little 15 year old employee to load it all into their car without any thanks. Those guys deserve tips too.

88CRX
06-28-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by ken-gsr

they get paid poorly because they are expected to make tips, it is the same as someone who works at future shop and makes a shitty wage but makes most of there salary based on commission.

so if you dont work hard you dont make more $$$

easy as that.

69cougar
06-28-2005, 01:23 PM
:repost:

Ill just repost what I did last time it sums it up great!!

NICE GUY EDDIE
Okay, everybody cough up green for
the little lady.

Everybody whips out a buck, and throws it on the table.
Everybody, that is, except Mr. White.

NICE GUY EDDIE
C'mon, throw in a buck.

MR. WHITE
Uh-uh. I don't tip.

NICE GUY EDDIE
Whaddaya mean you don't tip?

MR. WHITE
I don't believe in it.

NICE GUY EDDIE
You don't believe in tipping?

MR. PINK
(laughing)
I love this kid, he's a madman,
this guy.

MR. BLONDE
Do you have any idea what these
ladies make? They make shit.

MR. WHITE
Don't give me that. She don't
make enough money, she can quit.

Everybody laughs.

NICE GUY EDDIE
I don't even know a Jew who'd have
the balls to say that. So let's
get this straight. You never ever
tip?

MR. WHITE
I don't tip because society says I
gotta. I tip when somebody
deserves a tip. When somebody
really puts forth an effort, they
deserve a little something extra.
But this tipping automatically,
that shit's for the birds. As far
as I'm concerned, they're just
doin their job.

MR. BLUE
Our girl was nice.

MR. WHITE
Our girl was okay. She didn't do
anything special.

MR. BLONDE
What's something special, take ya
in the kitchen and suck your dick?

They all laugh.

NICE GUY EDDIE
I'd go over twelve percent for
that.

MR. WRITE
Look, I ordered coffee. Now we've
been here a long fuckin time, and
she's only filled my cup three
times. When I order coffee, I
want it filled six times.

MR. BLONDE
What if she's too busy?

MR. WHITE
The words "too busy" shouldn't be
in a waitress's vocabulary.

NICE GUY EDDIE
Excuse me, Mr. White, but the last
thing you need is another cup of
coffee.

They all laugh.

MR. WHITE
These ladies aren't starvin to
death. They make minimum wage.
When I worked for minimum wage, I
wasn't lucky enough to have a job
that society deemed tipworthy.

NICE GUY EDDIE
Ahh, now we're getting down to it.
It's not just that he's a cheap
bastard--

MR. ORANGE
--It is that too--

NICE GUY EDDIE
--It is that too. But it's also
he couldn't get a waiter job. You
talk like a pissed off dishwasher:
"Fuck those cunts and their
fucking tips."

MR. BLONDE
So you don't care that they're
counting on your tip to live?

Mr. White rubs two of his fingers together.

MR. WHITE
Do you know what this is? It's
the world's smallest violin,
playing just for the waitresses.

MR. BLONDE
You don't have any idea what
you're talking about. These
people bust their ass. This
is a hard job.

MR. WHITE
So's working at McDonald's, but
you don't feel the need to tip
them. They're servin ya food, you
should tip em. But no, society
says tip these guys over here, but
not those guys over there. That's
bullshit.

MR. ORANGE
They work harder than the kids at
McDonald's.

MR. WHITE
Oh yeah, I don't see them cleaning
fryers.

MR. BROWN
These people are taxed on the tips
they make. When you stiff 'em,
you cost them money.

MR. BLONDE
Waitressing is the number one
occupation for female non-college
graduates in this country. It's
the one jab basically any woman
can get, and make a living on.
The reason is because of tips.

MR. WHITE
Fuck all that.

They all laugh.

MR. WHITE
Hey, I'm very sorry that the
government taxes their tips.
That's fucked up. But that ain't
my fault. it would appear that
waitresses are just one of the
many groups the government fucks
in the ass on a regular basis.
You show me a paper says the
government shouldn't do that, I'll
sign it. Put it to a vote, I'll
vote for it. But what I won't do
is play ball. And this non-
college bullshit you're telling
me, I got two words for that:
"Learn to fuckin type." Cause if
you're expecting me to help out
with the rent, you're in for a big
fuckin surprise.

MR. ORANGE
He's convinced me. Give me my
dollar back.

Everybody laughs. Joe's comes back to the table.

JOE
Okay ramblers, let's get to
rambling. Wait a minute, who
didn't throw in?

MR. ORANGE
Mr. White.

JOE
(to Mr. Orange)
Mr. White?
(to Mr. White)
Why?

MR. ORANGE
He don't tip.

JOE
(to Mr. Orange)
He don't tip?
(to Mr. White)
You don't tip? Why?

MR. ORANGE
He don't believe in it.

JOE
(to Mr. Orange)
He don't believe in it?
(to Mr. White)
You don't believe in it?

MR. ORANGE
Nope.

JOE
(to Mr. Orange)
Shut up!
(to Mr. White)
Cough up the buck, ya cheap
bastard, I paid for your goddamn
breakfast.

MR. WHITE
Because you paid for the
breakfast, I'm gonna tip.
Normally I wouldn't.

JOE
Whatever. Just throw in your
dollar, and let's move.
(to Mr. Blonde)
See what I'm dealing with here.
Infants. I'm fuckin dealin with
infants.

gonefishing
06-28-2005, 01:24 PM
thats a classic except it was MR.Pink as the cheap ass not MR.White

Lanks
06-28-2005, 01:25 PM
Or people that come and get like 20 bags of dirt from a garden store and then sit in their car and expect the little 15 year old employee to load it all into their car without any thanks. Those guys deserve tips too.

I think that it is the 15 year olds job to carry the bags and thats why they get a paycheck. Sure its not nice to be rude to them, but do they DESERVE a tip just for doing their job? maybe if they go way above and beyond but in ordinary circumstances I think not. I mean it was the kids choice to work at the garden store in the first place so he had to know he'd be expected to haul dirt around right? If he doesn't like it he can quit any time he wants.

abyss
06-28-2005, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Lanks

I think that it is the 15 year olds job to carry the bags and thats why they get a paycheck. Sure its not nice to be rude to them, but do they DESERVE a tip just for doing their job? maybe if they go way above and beyond but in ordinary circumstances I think not. I mean it was the kids choice to work at the garden store in the first place so he had to know he'd be expected to haul dirt around right? If he doesn't like it he can quit any time he wants.

Exactly!! I don't believe it says anywhere in a waitresses' description that 15% tips are part of their "job" If they don't like it, they can leave! But they shouldn't expect that every customer is required to tip because the waitress served them food and filled their drinks. If that goes above and beyond and deserves a tip, what exactly does a waitress job description entail? Sit around twiddling your thumbs and everything else is "above and beyond" and therefore deserves a tip?

Lanks
06-28-2005, 01:36 PM
^^^Agreed

googe
06-28-2005, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by gonefishing
Waitering or waitressing is a job based on tips. At most restaraunts they make you tip out to the kitchen/bus/host etc. i am a part time waiter and it just blows my mind that there are people out there that tip less than 10%. Me and some friends were at a place in Banff called the grizzly house for dinner after our dinner we left a 15% tip and the server asked us why we left such a small tip? i always wondered what would happen if they asked those people who tip less than 10%. what do you guys think about tipping?

they might have been being snobby, but there is also the possibility that they got the impression you werent satisfied and were genuinely asking because they were concerned? :dunno:

youd probably be able to tell if they had an attitude, but just a thought

chris
06-28-2005, 01:39 PM
in most areas of the world you dont leave tips

BokCh0y
06-28-2005, 01:42 PM
It depends on the service and where we are. The better the service the bigger the tip.

Most of hte time I will tip between 15-20% but like I said, this depends on where and the service.

gonefishing
06-28-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by abyss

Exactly!! I don't believe it says anywhere in a waitresses' description that 15% tips are part of their "job" If they don't like it, they can leave! But they shouldn't expect that every customer is required to tip because the waitress served them food and filled their drinks. If that goes above and beyond and deserves a tip, what exactly does a waitress job description entail? Sit around twiddling your thumbs and everything else is "above and beyond" and therefore deserves a tip?

obviously you have never worked in a restaraunt before and if servers didn't expect a tip and had to rely on the owners to pay them a decent salary then your food would cost 2-3 times more.

Mr. Burns
06-28-2005, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Kimchee
agreed.........

bad service = bad tip,
good service= good tip
bad service from hot waitress=good tip
good service from hot waitress=better tip...haha

You just summed up my system to a T :thumbsup:

Loose
06-28-2005, 01:50 PM
Shitty ass service = no tip
Good service = Great tip
Bartender who expects tip for popping the cap off a bottle = fuck off

They cry about not making money. Shit, I wish I could make that kinda money and not have to report any of it as income.

I pay about a $1k in income taxes each month when a waitress who makes the same as I do probably pays $112

:whipped:

Lanks
06-28-2005, 02:00 PM

obviously you have never worked in a restaraunt before and if servers didn't expect a tip and had to rely on the owners to pay them a decent salary then your food would cost 2-3 times more.

I don't know if the cost of a meal would go up or not... I think that the age of the staff would gradually change and you would just see a lot younger of people being servers and it would no longer be a career choice for most. Most owners I bet wouldn't care if their staff didn't get tips and would continue paying them the same. the server would then be faced with the choice to either leave and try to find another job with their limited skills in another industry, or stay and put up with less money.

One thing is for sure though, if tipping was somehow abolished in this country the quality of service would definately decline, as servers would no longer have an incentive to do a good job

gonefishing
06-28-2005, 02:11 PM

One thing is for sure though, if tipping was somehow abolished in this country the quality of service would definately decline, as servers would no longer have an incentive to do a good job

^^^ agreed :thumbsup:

MYKN
06-28-2005, 02:36 PM
most people who dont believe in tipping should go work in a restaurant for a day then you all would understand...

tipping 15% as the norm has been around for years.. understand that if you leave the server nothing on the bill, that means the the server paid for you to eat, and This is the reason why. In most restaurants the server/bartender tips out to the hostess the busser the support staff and it is usually about 4%. So on a $100 bill if you leave them nothing..they just paid $4 ouf of their own pocket to serve you and feed your ass. so really if you leave a 15% tip the server is only getting about 10%...regardless of how much tips a server gets a night they tip out on what they sell. so for example if they made absolutley no tips at all ( cuz they had to serve all non-tippers) even thought they gave the same service to everyone. they would have paid out of their own pocket to work that night....
just and insight.

but if you want someone to serve you and fill your drink and dont believe in tipping. go to mcdicks..
dont be some god damn cheepppppp.

mac_82
06-28-2005, 02:48 PM

When I was in Australia I got great service and wasn't expected to tip. Maybe restaurants should stop being so greedy and shell out some more cash to their hard working employees. But somehow I still tipped when I was travelling, force of habit I guess.

Lexxan
06-28-2005, 02:50 PM
I hate tipping too. It's a menial job no better than working at safeway and you deserve maybe $10 an hour.

Phy
06-28-2005, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by chris

in most areas of the world you dont leave tips

Therefore people in those areas of the world are not tippers. Albertans can still be the cheapest tippers in the world, because among those who actually do tip, we could be the cheapest.

It's like, fill a room full of ducks and vultures. The ducks are the people who tip, the vultures are the people who never tip like the Australians and the Euros. Now somewhere in this room is an ugly fucking duck. His beak's all bent up, his feathers are patchy, he's got bloodshot little duck eyes. That's us. Any vulture in the room is going to be uglier than even the Quasimodo of ducks. But a vulture ain't a duck, and you can't say 'The ugly duck isn't an ugly duck because there's vultures in the room'. Vultures or not, he's still an ugly fucking duck.

abyss
06-28-2005, 03:00 PM

I have worked as a waitress, so therefore, I have deemed myself more than qualified to debate my opinions on tipping to lazy restaraunt staff. It is no more work to serve someone food than it is to do any other customer driven job. I also worked at Canadian Tire, for less money than I was making waitressing and you know what? It was 100 times harder and I got 100 times less respect for it. I don't believe the owners would lose out on anything except a little profit here and there. I made a decent hourly wage when I waitressed, and if you are settling for minimum wage just so you can whine that someone doesn't tip you and you need to make a living GO FIND A BETTER PAYING JOB. It is the owners responsibility to ensure their employees are happy, not the customers.

gpomp
06-28-2005, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by MYKN
most people who dont believe in tipping should go work in a restaurant for a day then you all would understand...

:werd: :werd: :werd:
i want to see which of the "non tippers" have worked at a real restaurant before.

i usually tip 15% unless the service is really bad, then it's like 5%

Aleks
06-28-2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by gpomp

:werd: :werd: :werd:
i want to see which of the "non tippers" have worked at a real restaurant before.

i usually tip 15% unless the service is really bad, then it's like 5%

now go get me some more iced tea beotch

abyss
06-28-2005, 03:09 PM

tipping 15% as the norm has been around for years.. understand that if you leave the server nothing on the bill, that means the the server paid for you to eat, and This is the reason why. In most restaurants the server/bartender tips out to the hostess the busser the support staff and it is usually about 4%. So on a $100 bill if you leave them nothing..they just paid $4 ouf of their own pocket to serve you and feed your ass. so really if you leave a 15% tip the server is only getting about 10%...regardless of how much tips a server gets a night they tip out on what they sell. so for example if they made absolutley no tips at all ( cuz they had to serve all non-tippers) even thought they gave the same service to everyone. they would have paid out of their own pocket to work that night....
just and insight.

but if you want someone to serve you and fill your drink and dont believe in tipping. go to mcdicks..

Servers are not required to tip kitchen staff, most just do because they're nice. Some restaraunts require it, but if it ever becomes a sore point with the serving staff, they shouldn't be there.

If tipping were abolished and restaraunts were still paying minimum wage they would have no employees, and thus would have to adjust their wage. I know that any repeat customers I had I would adjust my level of service based on their last tip. ie/ first customers always got great service from me, but if you're not gonna tip me good, then don't expect good service next time. Tipping is the cause of bad service not the solution to it.

Kimchee
06-28-2005, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Phy

Therefore people in those areas of the world are not tippers. Albertans can still be the cheapest tippers in the world, because among those who actually do tip, we could be the cheapest.

It's like, fill a room full of ducks and vultures. The ducks are the people who tip, the vultures are the people who never tip like the Australians and the Euros. Now somewhere in this room is an ugly fucking duck. His beak's all bent up, his feathers are patchy, he's got bloodshot little duck eyes. That's us. Any vulture in the room is going to be uglier than even the Quasimodo of ducks. But a vulture ain't a duck, and you can't say 'The ugly duck isn't an ugly duck because there's vultures in the room'. Vultures or not, he's still an ugly fucking duck.

hahah.....great analogy!!....

:thumbsup:

max_boost
06-28-2005, 03:23 PM
Servers need to realize that not everyone will leave a tip. That's just the way it is. With that said, if you are a server, and you are doing your job well, there's no need to worry because it always balances out. There are a lot of generous tippers in this city.

I'm a regular tipper, everywhere I go. Some of the restaurants I frequent often, the servers recognize me instantly and I get top notch service everytime :D I like that, you get your food and drinks faster than those seated before you. It's VIP :D haha

DarkDream
06-28-2005, 04:35 PM
I too also hate how waiters/waitress expect to get tipped even though they give a crappy service..... Mcdonald employess or any other fast food joints probably work just as hard as most waiter/waitresses and they don't expect any tip......

I truly believe that employers are using that to there advantage..... because since people seem to have the idea of tipping to be a requirement whether the service was good or not.

the employers will just pay the employees less since the tips will make up for the rest......but even if that is the case waiters/waitresses still shouldn't expect tip for providing crappy service.

This is how i tip..... If the service is good i tip them well if the service is okay i tip them 15% if there service was shitty i tip them 0.01...... I don't even bother tipping them anymore then that casue they would be pissed either way........

If you guys are wondering why i place a penny for a tip is becasue i don't want them to get the idea that i forgot to leave them tip but instead I want to let them know i left a penny becasue i received crappy service......

Nav13
06-28-2005, 05:07 PM

just and insight.

I worked at joeys only as a dishwasher then cook, over there the waiter/waitresses gave 4% of their tips not there total sales (or what ever you wanna call it).

Pihsiak
06-28-2005, 05:34 PM
or you could be like someone i know

orders a 5.50 drink and at the end thows in 5 buck expecting someone to cover for him...

to top it off he steals the glass

toyboy88
06-28-2005, 06:07 PM
i just stick with the same rule (15% tip) regardless of (the hotness of the waitress/eye candy i.e earls/joey's, or the good/bad service)...

actually on my first point i might tip 20% if im enjoying it :D :rolleyes: :poosie: :thumbsup:

88CRX
06-28-2005, 07:14 PM
most people who dont believe in tipping should go work in a restaurant for a day then you all would understand....

Thats bullshit.

I've worked at Wendy flippin burger and i've also worked at home depot loading bricks into peoples cars.... WORKING MY ASS OFF for alot less money the some stuck up waiter. I never once got tipped with money from anyone loading bricks.... not once. A couple times people brought back a can of pop and some chips or something after i loaded them up but thats all.

I dont give a flying fuck if is "the norm" to tip 15%. I've gotten better service at Mcdicks then I have at some very nice restarants. I feel no need to tip a slacker waiter who doesnt understand that I need a refill of water or another beer within 10 minutes :thumbsdow

If your not making enough money working as a waiter then WORK HARDER to get some tips OR QUIT

88CRX
06-28-2005, 07:16 PM
This is how i tip..... If the service is good i tip them well if the service is okay i tip them 15% if there service was shitty i tip them 0.01...... I don't even bother tipping them anymore then that casue they would be pissed either way........

eaxactly how i tip :thumbsup:

Shaolin
06-28-2005, 07:26 PM
Scenario - I'll show up at my job.. not do a dam thing.. be an ass to my boss, use the CEO's washroom, tell his executive assistant to go buy me a sandwich and make me fresh orange juice every hour, and expect my paycheque direct deposited into my account in two weeks. Why? because I really bust my ass at my job. - End Scenario

right.

I tip the way 88CRX does..

Seanith
06-28-2005, 07:30 PM
I don't feel like reading everything, but heres what I think. I used to very anti tipping, but now I can see from a servers POV since my gf works at a restaurant now. They only make $5.90/hr, and they have to tip out a certain percentage ~3% to the kitchen on the total bill. Not leaving ANY tip at all is very very cheap and selfish imo. If you think the service sucks leave enough to cover their tipout for the meal. "Don't hate the player hate the game":rofl: .A server shouldn't have to pay out of their pocket for your meal. The whole tip scenario is fucked up I agree with people that servers should just make $10-15 an hour and tips should be eliminated.
This is coming from someone who used to say "fuck em if the service isn't good" so don't flame me! :rofl:

Akagi Redsuns
06-28-2005, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Seanith
snip............They only make $5.90/hr, and they have to tip out a certain percentage ~3% to the kitchen on the total bill. Not leaving ANY tip at all is very very cheap and selfish imo. ...........snip

I never heard of a mandatory 3% tipout to the kitchen regardless if the customer left a tip or not. That's just complete BS and no way I would tolerate such a policy. Is that even legal forcing the frontline staff to pay the 3% to the kitchen staff? Morale must be high this establishment then huh? Time to find a place that treats the frontline with more respect than that IMO.

In either case, as echoed by most of the people in here.

Crap service, 0% ---- don't want no tip, do a better job
Ok service, 14%
Great service, 20%+

K271
06-28-2005, 08:20 PM
Once I left a tip and the waiter had the nerve to chase me outside the restaurant, not just to the door but down the street and demand more. He held out the tip I gave him, asked for more, I looked at him and took my tip back and walked away. Punk.

Waiters and Waitresses do not make a great hourly rate. In some cases they are paid a set fee for a shift. You don't choose to wait tables for the hourly rate.

I know a restaurant in Toronto where the waiter makes his living on tips. Mind you this restaurant is very upscale and everytime I dine I leave $40 to 50 for tip. Then again, since this waiter always serves me and my party, he always has a free bottle of wine or champagne waiting for me.

kaput
06-28-2005, 09:06 PM

CdnSilverStreak
06-28-2005, 09:19 PM
Tips are earned, not given away. If you give me crappy service, you get no tip...

That being said, if the food was kind of bad and the server made attempts to remedy it, I will still tip her. I was at an Applebee's in Las Vegas and the food came so late, but the server went above and beyond her regular duties to ensure I was taken care of. She paid for part of my meal, gave me some free nachos, etc... I still gave her a tip... because she EARNED it, despite all the unfortunate events that happened that were beyond her control.

I will not tip you if I feel I had to involve myself in some aspects of your job. There are exceptions of course; if I have to flag you down for drink refills while you stand around, it affects your tip...

civicrider
06-28-2005, 10:01 PM
as long as my service is good i leave 30%-50% tips if the fuck up something badly or piss me off the get $2

LUDELVR
06-28-2005, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by mac_82

When I was in Australia I got great service and wasn't expected to tip. Maybe restaurants should stop being so greedy and shell out some more cash to their hard working employees. But somehow I still tipped when I was travelling, force of habit I guess.

In Korea here, I've gone to a regular place to eat and another regular place to drink and everytime we go there, we never tip (it's Korea, you don't tip). Anyway, everytime we go back, we get free stuff and the attention that our server pays to us is top notch, so for someone to say that if a server doesn't get tips will equate to a decline in customer service is off...but mind you this is across the world! hahaha :rofl: Who knows, in Canada it may be different, but I guess doing a good job for the sake of doing a good job is out the window! :dunno:

ZCracer
06-28-2005, 11:11 PM
I work at a very busy restruant in Edmonton as a server. On a average friday or saturday night I usually tip out between $35 and $50 to the kitchen, hostesses, expos, and bussers. It's not something i have a choice in, it's mandatory.
I don't ever expect a tip from a table i'm serving, some people just don't tip and thats fine by me. When it's really busy i would WAY rather serve people who are nice, polite and fun to serve that leave 10% tips than serve rude, demanding people who will tip +20%.
Also, i make min. wage and there is not a chance in hell i would serve if it wasn't for the tips.

Seanith
06-28-2005, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by ZCracer

Also, i make min. wage and there is not a chance in hell i would serve if it wasn't for the tips.

Exactly. Unless they change the way things are and pay servers $15/hr tips pretty much have to be apart of the equation. I don't think servers should make as much as a professional engineer just because they have tits and an ass though :rolleyes:

gpomp
06-28-2005, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Seanith

I don't think servers should make as much as a professional engineer just because they have tits and an ass though :rolleyes:
yeah it sucks being an ugly fuck like me trying to make tips :( the girls at my restaurant make way more than me on average.

Super_Geo
06-28-2005, 11:51 PM
About two months ago I was having lunch with a couple friends of mine at pretty high end resteraunt in Toronto. Between the four of us, the bill came to ~$250. The food was unbelievable... simply some of the best Greek I've ever had, and the service was atricious.

This absolute cunt of a server (though she was pretty damn hot, I have to admit) had this annoying "oh my god, what can you possibly want now" tone in her voice as she checked up on us (which wasn't nearly enough for the caliber of the resteraunt, or the price of the meals). She also completely forgot about the drinks that we ordered. We had to remind her twice about that... unbelievable.

Anyway, at the end of the meal, we went to the counter and asked what the tip out to the kitchen staff was. We tripled it and told the guy explicitly "make sure this goes only to the kitchen staff, for the meal was amazing, but the service was some of the worst I've had in recent memory." The waitress was, of course, right behind the draped door and as soon as the guy goes back into the kitchen she comes out and says "I can't believe you guys are cheap enough not to tip at a place like this!"

And my buddy's response... "If you're expecting money for your body, the stripper's is 2 blocks that way. Otherwise, shut the fuck up, put a smile on your face, and do your job right!"

Haha, I've never laughed so hard in my life.

Rockski
06-29-2005, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by 69cougar
:repost:

Ill just repost what I did last time it sums it up great!!

NICE GUY EDDIE
Okay, everybody cough up green for
the little lady.

Everybody whips out a buck, and throws it on the table.
Everybody, that is, except Mr. White.

NICE GUY EDDIE
C'mon, throw in a buck.

its mr pink who doesnt want to tip. "steve belushi"
"why do i have to be mr. pink"
"because your a fucking faggot, thats why your mr. pink"

alright what do you people think about tipping the pizza boy then... :hijack:

Ben
06-29-2005, 12:46 AM
Tipping is not a problem for me, I have no problem offering extra above the total if I recieved better than average service, it's those cheap ass fuckers where when you go out for dinner in a group with people you dont know all that well, who order a drink and wings or w/e, and the total is 9.99, and they leave a 10.

Now everyone else has to make up tax and tip on their behalf. I generally just question their actions immediatly, asking "Was your food that bad you dont want to pay for it all?" Hoping to directly insult both their actions as well as their money situation. Generally when people are put on the spot like that they change their actions there forward. I hate when people do that. Its not the extra 5 bucks I have to pitch in, its the fact they assume it will be covered, or are so ignorant about it. Stop being such a broke ass and pay for what you ate/drank. Dont want to tip, thats fine, but at least cover the god damned tax. If all you had was a 10, then you should have budgeted accordingly on what you decided to consume.

HuMz
06-29-2005, 01:06 AM
for the people who are comparing serving to mcdicks, safeway, and home depot jobs busting your ass its alot different and way more stressfull mentally, in none of those other jobs are you looking after the needs of 20+ people all at once, and at times having to do 5 things at once in order to make sure the customer gets quality service ie. (table 1's food is up ready to take out) you just had 2 tables sat in your section at the exact same time, and table 4 is waiting with there menu's closed ready to order) mentally they have to put up with alot of shit at times, sure its all about prioritizing but you can't always satisfy everyone at once and there's alota shit you have to put up with and speaking from experience id defintly say the tip is worth it seeing as how serving jobs are one of the only type jobs paying minimum wage, people just have this attitude that serving is just like any other service job

dragonone
06-29-2005, 07:01 AM
i think 10% is mandatory (or around), and up to 20% if you thought it was great. in places like asia, they have a +1 system, where 10% is already added, and most poor to middle classes round up to the nearest ten or hundered and such.

i know so many frnds that serve and think that they're bling bling, i mean come on, get a new job, or you'll end up being that old lady/guy serving at denny's. it's probably more demanding than the average service job, but it's nothing compared to most other professions. i mean professionals.

and esp. being rather young, at 22, and being asian, places like hy's or la caille don't give you great service, yet i'm supposed to tip great?

abyss
06-29-2005, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by HuMz
for the people who are comparing serving to mcdicks, safeway, and home depot jobs busting your ass its alot different and way more stressfull mentally, in none of those other jobs are you looking after the needs of 20+ people all at once, and at times having to do 5 things at once in order to make sure the customer gets quality service ie. (table 1's food is up ready to take out) you just had 2 tables sat in your section at the exact same time, and table 4 is waiting with there menu's closed ready to order) mentally they have to put up with alot of shit at times, sure its all about prioritizing but you can't always satisfy everyone at once and there's alota shit you have to put up with and speaking from experience id defintly say the tip is worth it seeing as how serving jobs are one of the only type jobs paying minimum wage, people just have this attitude that serving is just like any other service job

That rarely lasts for more than an hour and never for the whole shift. Try being the only manager as well as the only customer service cashier (ie/returns) and the only floor staff (while the other is on lunch for an hour, and the other called in sick) on a SATURDAY at Canadian Tire. You want to tell me about stressful situations. I've said it once and I'll say it again. I was a waitress and I worked 100 times harder and it was 100 times more stressful at Canadian Tire than waitressing ever was for me. Sure it was poor scheduling on the owners part, but that's the only reason restaraunts get too busy for the serving staff as well.

gonefishing
06-29-2005, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns

Crap service, 0% ---- don't want no tip, do a better job
Ok service, 14%
Great service, 20%+

coming from a server i think this is a good way to rate the tip but for the cheap asses who don't tip 10% or more when you get

- what you ordered
- food on time
- friendly service

go to one of those fast food places becuase your making us pay for part of your meal.

duffspec
06-29-2005, 08:26 AM
I found my self tipping everyone..shitty ass servers,carry out personnel and even the guy at the local sandwich shop. What the fuck is going on. I don't mind tipping but, it seems as though every where you go there is someone looking for a bloody hand out. That money can go to my car wash.

When I was 15 I worked in a Sports plex as a rink attendent making $6 dollers an hour, cleanning up after peoples shit. Public washrooms, showers, those nasty hockey benches and the worst the change rooms were nasty. That's what I got and that is what the job paid, that was hard earned cash. I don't care for the servers that are automatically assuming that there is going to be a huge tip, I have worked equaly as hard for that money. I think it's better in my pocket then yours.

I honestly don't mind tipping at a rate i'm comfertable with paying so instead of saying to a customer "13% is all your tipping?" know that he is the one there providing you with a wage by buying the food the drinks the desert.

This is not to call anyone out, it's just a rant in general.

96Mx6
06-29-2005, 08:54 AM
In NewZealand you also are nt exptected to tip, and they look at you funny if you do. HOWEVER, there are many restaurants that have the absolute worst service there. When you ask them why the service is so bad, they tell you to leave. This was alomst every restaurant over a two week period. I would rather give a few buck tip for excellant service then that!!

accord823
06-29-2005, 09:30 AM
what about delivery??
How much do you tip?

abyss
06-29-2005, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by accord823
what about delivery??
How much do you tip?

I tip whatever makes the amount even. I used to get tipped retardedly high amounts when I delivered. Drunk guys waiting for chinese food tip huge when they discover it's not a chinese guy delivering to them. I had an old guy give me a jar full of change as a tip one time, but he didn't give me the jar! He just dumped it into my hands and it spilled all over the floor and everything, I just left with what was left in my hands it was so akward.

HuMz
06-29-2005, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by abyss

That rarely lasts for more than an hour and never for the whole shift. Try being the only manager as well as the only customer service cashier (ie/returns) and the only floor staff (while the other is on lunch for an hour, and the other called in sick) on a SATURDAY at Canadian Tire. You want to tell me about stressful situations. I've said it once and I'll say it again. I was a waitress and I worked 100 times harder and it was 100 times more stressful at Canadian Tire than waitressing ever was for me. Sure it was poor scheduling on the owners part, but that's the only reason restaraunts get too busy for the serving staff as well.

That does sound pretty stressful, but again thats the situation management created for you to have to deal with all that, on top of that you were a manager therefore it was kind of excpected of you to deal with whatever problems you encountered, im not trying to say that wasn't hard and your serving job was easy, but a manager at canadian tire isn't really a good comparison to your typical min wage (or close too) jobs that people are trying to compare serving too, and from my situation from 5:30 to at least 7:30 at night on weekends i would always be looking after 20+ people and having to do multiple tasks at once, and as a server you know that your serivice in alot of cases (essp as a guy) depends on how satisfied the customer is after the meal, and forgetting to ring that one order in may have just costed you 10$, where as other service jobs are paid a hourly rate no matter what kind of service they provide, therefore there is no extra added stress about making sure the customer's needs are being met

abyss
06-29-2005, 11:40 AM
there's always the added stress to make sure the customer's needs are being met. It's part of being in the "customer service industry". ;) Just so you know, when I was a manager at Canadian Tire I was making less per hour than my hourly wage as a server. *cause of all the extra hours required* I just think the service industry needs to change as a whole. Servers should be getting paid more per hour and tipping should be abolished. Servers that aren't pulling their weight should be fired. It's like any other customer driven job, you're expected to serve customers and make sure they leave happy. I don't see how the amount a customer tips you should indicate the level of service they receive from you. I will agree with you that it would suck to be a guy server working for close to min wage. I made lots of tips just based on the fact that I'm female. It's quite the double standard I'll admit.

silverTEG
06-29-2005, 12:07 PM
its simple,

you want a tip earn it, and act like it. dont expect it .....

Jynx
06-29-2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by accord823
what about delivery??
How much do you tip?

depends if im already chared a delivery fee... if so i round it up to the nearest dollar...

however if im not charged a delivery fee i tip 20% assuming the food arived in a timely manner...

if the food was late i tip 0%

Official Hoser
06-29-2005, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Tipping is not a problem for me, I have no problem offering extra above the total if I recieved better than average service, it's those cheap ass fuckers where when you go out for dinner in a group with people you dont know all that well, who order a drink and wings or w/e, and the total is 9.99, and they leave a 10.

Damn, I hate those idiots. :banghead:

Wost tipping story? Someone I knew worked at a coffeeshop, and the greedy-ass owners would pocket all the tips from the tip jar for themselves and not share it with the workers.

And I agree with the majority of you: good service = 15%, bad service = 0.

no_joke
06-29-2005, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

And my buddy's response... "If you're expecting money for your body, the stripper's is 2 blocks that way. Otherwise, shut the fuck up, put a smile on your face, and do your job right!"

Haha, I've never laughed so hard in my life.

Best story ever.

Pihsiak
06-29-2005, 11:37 PM
what about when you pay with credit?

I heard some places don't split the tip if you sign for it on the card.
That's why I leave cash on the table when I go out and eat, but when the guy comes back to pick up the bill and sees i didn't put anything on the credit card, I get dirty looks all way out the door..

poor me.

LUDELVR
06-30-2005, 09:53 AM
I just remembered this and it makes me very unsympathetic towards servers, not all servers mind you but it makes me more hesitant to tip knowing that there are people in the restaurant industry like this.

My friend works as a server and floor manager at a very well known restaurant. He informed my friends and me how he can scam more money as a tip from customers. He said that he would bring them their bill and he would charge them full pop but once they left, he would edit the bill and take off their drinks and then pocket that money and submit the bill without the drinks.

Now I know that many servers don't do this, but if a server has the audacity to chace a person out of a rest. and demand more money for a tip, I would not put it past many people in the industry, not to mention any other schemes that may exist to add to a server's income.

Anyway, I'm on the side that if they don't do a good job, they don't get a good tip, really, should there be any debate to this? You do a shitty job at work, eventually you get fired. You do a shitty job serving tables, you don't make any income! I mean really, it's been said time and time again about how society choses who we should and shouldn't tip.

And I'm with who ever said tell the bartender who popped off the beer cap to fuck off! hahaha, like I'm tipping that T bag!!:thumbsup:

Daxin
07-01-2005, 10:41 AM
well, now that Alberta has increased min wage to $7. They automatically get their 15% (actually 19%). :clap:

kenny
07-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Heres an interesting little incident I had yesterday, it is the first time in my life that I tipped less than 10%, in fact I think it was closer to 1%! and I will explain why to all those in the restaurant industry:

I went to Sushi Towa. I was seated within about 20 seconds since there was no lineup at the front...but thats where the good service ended. I sat there for a bit just looking around like what I usually do when I sit down at a restaurant (read: check to see if there are hot chicks). I see somebody else seat two more people at a different table, and then another group of people get seated. At this point I am settled, and ready to decide what to eat but guess what? No menus yet. In fact our table was still empty so I didn't even have a napkin at the table to entertain myself with.

The two other tables have been reading their menus and I think one of them had already decided what they want to eat. I ask another server if it would be possible that I get some menus--and it does show up after about a minute. I thought our waitress had just forgotten about the menus, not a problem I have bad memory sometimes too so I will let it slide.

I write down all of the stuff I want, hand it back to the waitress when she came back around and waited, and waited, and waited. Another group of people have since been seated just across from me. I continue waiting and waiting and finally one of the three rolls that were ordered arrives. Great! I can dig in and eat (STARVING!!)..... err wait, nope. Cancel that, can't eat. THERES NO SAUCE DISHES OR ANYTHING ON THE TABLE! somebody forgot to bring it! I didn't know I was at an ethiopian restaurant and expected to eat with my hands. I did finally get it, perhaps I'm being a bit harsh cuz I was starving but oh well, there was sooooo much time from when I ordered for that shit to have been brought to my table.

More waiting ensues... (about 30 mins so far). I then spot a big platter of sushi coming towards us! Perfect, rest of the food is ready... but then BAM. Like a slap in the face, the table that came waaaay after us get all their sushi! WTF? Oh well, I figure the sushi will be here soon so I can eat and get the fuck out. I've decided the tip will be shitty today (about 8 - 10%). After about 15 - 20 minutes, the rest of the sushi does arrive but the Udon noodles still haven't come yet.

Eventually the udon noodles came (I stopped checking the time cuz it took so damn long) and I ate my meal. Its tough to picture, but if you've been to Sushi Towa, the tables are quite small. There were three large rolls of sushi + 2 tempera udons on the table so there isn't any table space left when I see a lady walking around with a stack of bills handing them out to each table. As I am eating my meal in a kinda pissed off mood cuz of the out of order food processing (should be first ordered, first served, hey, I'm not a VIP and I'm pissed! hahah) plop, my bill is wedged onto the table without a word from the passing staffer.

I looked at it in disbelief, something had actually come to the table on time! in fact it was early! I didn't even ask for it yet but it seemed like they were ushering me out since they have been closed for a good half hour. If I didn't have to wait so fucking long for the food I woulda been done eating and out of there ages ago! the people that came in after me had finished and were leaving already so give them their bill and keep mine until I ask for it!

The total came to $54.3x (cant remember), so I dropped $55 and left. It was complete shit service from my waitress. I don't care if the sushi chefs were slow, or if the kitchen was backed up. I saw other people getting food first when I was clearly there first. There was no explanation given, no regular checkups (to see if I was doing ok), nothing. Had my waitress actually brought sauce dishes and utensils to my table in that huge waiting period before I got my first sushi roll so that when it finally arrived I could actually EAT, I may have still left a shitty tip (around 10%) but nope. She fucked up in every way possible, no explanations, no apology, nothing. That is why I left pretty much nothing for a tip. I understand she has to tip out, and I understand she has now paid for me to eat. SHE could have prevented that by providing better service. It was NOT that busy in there.

Call me a cheap ass, but I ALWAYS ALWAYS tip very well when the service is good, tip 10% if its not perfect but yesterday night I simply could NOT let someone earn more than what her base wage was because she was clearly NOT doing her job.

What a long post, but WOW I was pissed yesterday. I didn't proof-read so pardon my chinglish if one of my thought fragments just end. ;)

Seanith
07-01-2005, 11:36 AM
I totally agree Kenny. No tip in that situation! :thumbsdow

MYKN
07-03-2005, 03:20 AM
kenny in your situation yes...i agree..

like i said most of my friends who work in the industry dont go looking for an amazing tip...just some friendly tables and nice people but at the same time most servers dont want to pay out of their pocket to serve you...cuz guess what 90% of restaurants and bars have a 4-5% tippout to support staff( bussers, BA's, host, setters etc.) which is MANDATORY. and to whoever said tipout is based on the tips made your wrong..its based on how much you sell..anyways i sound like a broken record. some tip, some dont.. take the good with the bad. i just wanted anyone who was unaware to know.

GucciBoy
07-03-2005, 12:23 PM
well for me, the guy last night was fortunate to get 15%.

GTS Jeff
07-03-2005, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Ben

Now everyone else has to make up tax and tip on their behalf. I generally just question their actions immediatly, asking "Was your food that bad you dont want to pay for it all?" Hoping to directly insult both their actions as well as their money situation. Generally when people are put on the spot like that they change their actions there forward. I hate when people do that. Its not the extra 5 bucks I have to pitch in, its the fact they assume it will be covered, or are so ignorant about it. Stop being such a broke ass and pay for what you ate/drank. Dont want to tip, thats fine, but at least cover the god damned tax. If all you had was a 10, then you should have budgeted accordingly on what you decided to consume. FUCK!!! THIS EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME YESTERDAY! I was pretty pissed at the time, but I didn't really want to make a scene because they were otherwise alright people.

I was out with my gf, her roommate, and her roommates boyfriend. Their part of the bill came to $18.90 or something, and the bitch was like, "oh it's $18, let's leave $20." Fuck that, $20 wouldn't even cover tax, let alone tip. I straight up asked them why they weren't tipping, which forced them to fish out a couple quarters and admit that they didn't have any more money. We ended up tipping for them because the service was good, but it's the last time we'll ever hang out with them again.

FiveFreshFish
07-03-2005, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
FUCK!!! THIS EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME YESTERDAY! I was pretty pissed at the time, but I didn't really want to make a scene because they were otherwise alright people.

I was out with my gf, her roommate, and her roommates boyfriend. Their part of the bill came to $18.90 or something, and the bitch was like, "oh it's $18, let's leave $20." Fuck that, $20 wouldn't even cover tax, let alone tip. I straight up asked them why they weren't tipping, which forced them to fish out a couple quarters and admit that they didn't have any more money. We ended up tipping for them because the service was good, but it's the last time we'll ever hang out with them again.

You should have told them that they owe you $x.xx or they have to pay for your tip the next time you go out.

We do an office lunch on Fridays at various restaurants. The server is asked to give us separate bills beforehand and it works out better for everyone (including the server) every time. Creating separate bills is easy if they know about it before you order.

MrPid
07-03-2005, 04:11 PM

.. understand that if you leave the server nothing on the bill, that means the the server paid for you to eat...

Huh?

EDM
07-03-2005, 04:57 PM

Thats bullshit.

I've worked at Wendy flippin burger and i've also worked at home depot loading bricks into peoples cars.... WORKING MY ASS OFF for alot less money the some stuck up waiter. I never once got tipped with money from anyone loading bricks.... not once. A couple times people brought back a can of pop and some chips or something after i loaded them up but thats all.

I dont give a flying fuck if is "the norm" to tip 15%. I've gotten better service at Mcdicks then I have at some very nice restarants. I feel no need to tip a slacker waiter who doesnt understand that I need a refill of water or another beer within 10 minutes :thumbsdow

If your not making enough money working as a waiter then WORK HARDER to get some tips OR QUIT

WERD!

I work in a service sector job and its a lot of work and im not allowed to accept tips, much less no one ever offers. Many others in service dont receive tips, so waiters shouldnt be expecting tips..

I always leave a tip, usually 10%.

GTS Jeff
07-03-2005, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

You should have told them that they owe you $x.xx or they have to pay for your tip the next time you go out.

We do an office lunch on Fridays at various restaurants. The server is asked to give us separate bills beforehand and it works out better for everyone (including the server) every time. Creating separate bills is easy if they know about it before you order. Well I didn't want their cheapness to in turn make us look like total cheapasses too...so whatever, we put up a couple bucks, and now we'll never go out with them again.

Separate bills are the way to go though. :thumbsup:

Official Hoser
07-05-2005, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Separate bills are the way to go though. :thumbsup:

No kidding. The worst is when you're in a large group, and the cheapass decides to leave early and just drop some cash on the table.