PDA

View Full Version : Old school vs New songs

afrotl
06-28-2005, 01:13 PM
Okay just wondering what do you guys prefer old school songs like Bobby Brown, NWA etc or the new stuff, 50 cents 112?

BokCh0y
06-28-2005, 01:18 PM
neither. i prefer zepplin, hendrix and the rest of the old school rock groups.

rmk
06-28-2005, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by BokCh0y
neither. i prefer zepplin, hendrix and the rest of the old school rock groups.

fukin' rights. some of the old hiphop is cool. krs1, j5, nwa, some snoop.

afrotl
06-28-2005, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by rmk

fukin' rights. some of the old hiphop is cool. krs1, j5, nwa, some snoop.
yeah the old snoop, like gin and juice

ronaldo
06-28-2005, 03:27 PM
old school over new anytime except for the few occasional songs

Chim
06-28-2005, 04:16 PM
Oldschool everything is better, especially movies.

EK 2.0
06-28-2005, 04:18 PM
Old School Hip-Hop...

A Tribe Called Quest
Black Eyed Peas (before the eye candy)
De La Soul
Naught By Nature
Ice Cube
Dream Warriors
LL
Fresh Prince and DJ Jazzy Jeff
and KRS-One...need I say more...

those guys rocked...new stuff is cool...But what i think it really boils down to is you hear something like "Can I Kick It?" and right away you are taken back to a really great memory...and thats why old school hip-hop is so great...

Watch the movie Brown Sugar if you already haven't. You will totally understand where I am coming from then.

finboy
06-28-2005, 05:18 PM
i like old and new, but when it comes to rap, old DOMINATES new, its not even a contest

2pac
snoop
kc&jojo
nate dogg
blackstreet
biggie
dre
etc.

there's just no competition :dunno:

Hakkola
06-28-2005, 05:37 PM
EK, an old school list like that without Eric B and Rakim?? :eek:

L.O.N.S, other than that, the list is almost complete. Arrested Development was pretty good, of course there's more.

P.S Oldschool is the shit!

illeagle
06-28-2005, 05:40 PM
oldschool.... the most of the new shit all sound the same.

Hakkola
06-28-2005, 05:51 PM
What I like about old school hip hop isn't just the rhymes, it's how raw and soulful it sounds, new music goes through so many filters and it sounds too processed, they take all the flavour out.

Kamen
06-28-2005, 06:04 PM
I haven't heard many new songs lately seems like everyone is back into the oldschool and retro hits like the Beatles.

EK 2.0
06-28-2005, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
EK, an old school list like that without Eric B and Rakim?? :eek:

L.O.N.S, other than that, the list is almost complete. Arrested Development was pretty good, of course there's more.

P.S Oldschool is the shit!

Sorry Matt...haha...

Originally posted by Hakkola
What I like about old school hip hop isn't just the rhymes, it's how raw and soulful it sounds, new music goes through so many filters and it sounds too processed, they take all the flavour out.

Not only that, but it WAS about the rhymes in a way...I mean you had Doug E Fresh, and KRS, and those guys who could battle and freestyle BEFORE they had to resort to the words, fuck, bitch, ho and all the shit that 50 and his G-G-G-Gay Unit thrive off of...

D'z Nutz
06-28-2005, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
But what i think it really boils down to is you hear something like "Can I Kick It?" and right away you are taken back to a really great memory...and thats why old school hip-hop is so great...

Sorry man, but as far as Tribe songs go, it's "I left my wallet in El Segundo" and "Bonita Applebum" that take me back! Hahaha! Still, nothing beats "Scenario".

Hip-hop mostly started going downhill by '95 (with a few exceptions, of course)....

Talies R
06-28-2005, 06:46 PM
Old > New, no matter what genre music.

Proyecto2000
06-28-2005, 06:52 PM
I like some older stuff over the new stuff like
O.D.B. "Baby I got your money..." :thumbsup:

you guys remember MA$SE änd his harlem world cd? good stuf

jdmakkord
06-28-2005, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by finboy
i like old and new, but when it comes to rap, old DOMINATES new, its not even a contest

2pac
snoop
kc&jojo
nate dogg
blackstreet
biggie
dre
etc.

there's just no competition :dunno:

Not kc&jojo, its jodeci!!! Now thats old school:D

I've been rocking my easy-e albums as of late, along with doveshack, dre, snoop, d'angelo, dj quik, spice1, mobbdeep, icecube, das efx, 2pac, aaron hall, and even R-kelley(pre pedophile days). I can't really find many songs on the radio that I really like as much as mid 90's hip hop. Mind you thats when I walked around with a 48 case of cd's, diskman, and sony earmuffs:rofl:

Despair*
06-28-2005, 08:36 PM
Yeah definately old school tunes for me also. I just don't hear the quality and level of music that was produced so long ago. Sure every now and than you get some incredible new tunes, but they are just too few of them being produced lately and too far in between to even put a dent on the old school market.

EK 2.0
06-28-2005, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Sorry man, but as far as Tribe songs go, it's "I left my wallet in El Segundo" and "Bonita Applebum" that take me back! Hahaha! Still, nothing beats "Scenario".

Hip-hop mostly started going downhill by '95 (with a few exceptions, of course)....

D'z you are right but mine was only an example...haha

but I forgot Pharcyde in my list...

finboy
06-28-2005, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord

I've been rocking my easy-e albums as of late, along with doveshack, dre, snoop, d'angelo, dj quik, spice1, mobbdeep, icecube, das efx, 2pac, aaron hall, and even R-kelley(pre pedophile days). I can't really find many songs on the radio that I really like as much as mid 90's hip hop. Mind you thats when I walked around with a 48 case of cd's, diskman, and sony earmuffs:rofl:

ofcourse jodeci man, how could i forget, lol

btw, anyone interested, "all eyez on me" is in the 2/30 sale at HMV right now, regular price is $40. i grabbed up 2pac resurection DVD and all eyez on me for $30 :D

D'z Nutz
06-28-2005, 09:36 PM

I forgot Pharcyde in my list...

"Your momma's so big and fat that she can get busy with 22 burritos when times are rough... I seen her in the back of taco bell with handcuffs!"

Classic shit! :thumbsup: Hahah

EK 2.0
06-28-2005, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

"Your momma's so big and fat that she can get busy with 22 burritos when times are rough... I seen her in the back of taco bell with handcuffs!"

Classic shit! :thumbsup: Hahah

"She's not pretty, oh what a pity, got the glass titty filled up with Kool-aid, just for the kiddies"...hahah classic for sure...haha

afrotl
06-28-2005, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord

these bring back some positive memories when music could make you sing, dance and chill and still be tasteful....Those were the days. And mc's could battle on stage and be friends after. And beats were original.

403Gemini
06-28-2005, 10:23 PM
Ice Cube was the BALLLLLS back in his older days with NWA

Chester
06-28-2005, 10:26 PM
Oldschool, like the rest of you guys said. Just listenin to oldschool rap/hip-hop brings back memories haha

Street_Soldier
06-29-2005, 12:45 AM
I like both new school breaks and old school breaks.

hub714
06-29-2005, 12:55 AM
OLD SCHOOL is the SHIT
the new stuf is kind of the shit...but not really

jepree
06-29-2005, 01:16 AM
ol' school cuz its the backbone to todays modern hip hop! who these days can capture the essence of oppression, strugle, and tennacity!

pac wrote songs bout how he loved his mom and we felt and fell in love with it! now a days people rap about how much bling they can put on there mama!

i guess the old school hip hop use to mean something! something real now its money, cars and ho's oh and dont forget the infamous slur or add a bunch of rrrrrr to your words! ya herrrrrd!

old school for me i believe it embodies the true essence of hip hop, it was an extension of that beautiful soul then and its an extension of that beautiful wallet now!

oh and guys i realy like CHICKEN :thumbsup:

afrotl
06-29-2005, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by jepree
ol' school cuz its the backbone to todays modern hip hop! who these days can capture the essence of oppression, strugle, and tennacity!

pac wrote songs bout how he loved his mom and we felt and fell in love with it! now a days people rap about how much bling they can put on there mama!

i guess the old school hip hop use to mean something! something real now its money, cars and ho's oh and dont forget the infamous slur or add a bunch of rrrrrr to your words! ya herrrrrd!

old school for me i believe it embodies the true essence of hip hop, it was an extension of that beautiful soul then and its an extension of that beautiful wallet now!

oh and guys i realy like CHICKEN :thumbsup:

:werd: songs back then had a good message and made people aware, these days it is more of everyone boasting of what they have and how much they got and how tough they are and how quick they can take a human life.....whatever happened to how they can change a human life in a positive way.........well except for a few artist out there like Quan, Nas, Common etc. Old School all the way.:thumbsup:

doublepostwhore
07-01-2005, 07:20 PM
^ dude nas is cool but these days w/ akon hes selling out.

How can we forget gangstarr!!!

Alot of underground hip-hop that is comming up is seriously kicking ass and taking names.

I personally feel that when pac and big passed on we lost our bearings on real hip-hop. These days most MC's and rappers are concerned with how much green they can line their pockets with then pop into their pipe.

Hip-hop WAS good because it WASNT just a fad... Now it has become to commercial and to flooded with newbs. How could it be what it used to be?

With most things in life, things change... I just hope that one day the insightful words from the pen to the paper (pac, or just uncanny flow like B.I.G) comes through in another MC's music.

What we need most these days is positive influences...

EK 2.0
07-01-2005, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by doublepostwhore
^ dude nas is cool but these days w/ akon hes selling out.

How can we forget gangstarr!!!

Alot of underground hip-hop that is comming up is seriously kicking ass and taking names.

I personally feel that when pac and big passed on we lost our bearings on real hip-hop. These days most MC's and rappers are concerned with how much green they can line their pockets with then pop into their pipe.

Hip-hop WAS good because it WASNT just a fad... Now it has become to commercial and to flooded with newbs. How could it be what it used to be?

With most things in life, things change... I just hope that one day the insightful words from the pen to the paper (pac, or just uncanny flow like B.I.G) comes through in another MC's music.

What we need most these days is positive influences...

agreed, but we have Kanye, and his G.O.O.D. Label, and Common, and Talib and Mos Def who are still promoting a positive light onto Hip Hop...

finboy
07-01-2005, 07:27 PM

agreed, but we have Kanye, and his G.O.O.D. Label, and Common, and Talib and Mos Def who are still promoting a positive light onto Hip Hop...

:werd:

kanye, although sometimes annoying with his arrogance, is an awsome emcee, producer, and writer

doublepostwhore
07-01-2005, 07:38 PM
I aplogize for comming off sounding like what I had named was exclusive... and you are right, but unfortunatly songs like 50's and games'; however childish they are catching on. They are changing the minds of many people. It is music like that, that give us "hip-hop" listeners a rough and tumble label, why many people choose not to listen to one of the most poetic/beautiful ways of storytelling/poetry.

I feel badly for the new generations that dont get to enjoy music like it used to be... real bands and real groups who had more to say then disclose their banking info. (Queen, Brian Adams, Abba (lol) Tupac)

Music used to be the expression of the soul, now its the expression of the aspirations of a rich man, wanting to gain more money.

I do realise that there is a TON of talent, alot of which many (including myself) will never beable to sample; However I find comfort and solice within the fact that in time those who truely deserve it, will have their fame come to their side.

/I am not a cynical parent... I am 18 that is well informed lol

likwid
07-01-2005, 07:45 PM
you guys forgot about bands like REO Speedwagon and Winger :bigpimp:

afrotl
07-02-2005, 09:53 PM
Like everything I hope it makes a comeback

Nissanaddict
07-05-2005, 12:32 PM
"I love that old time rock 'n roll"

Hell, I used to hate rap and hiphop when it all got popular...but then I listened to some old 2pac and all...although it's definitely not my fave kinda music, I like getting my fix of that stuff sometimes. You can catch me listening to run DMC a lot.haha.

afrotl
07-05-2005, 02:30 PM
from fresh prince to KRS one if it wasn't a good goofy song it was some conscious lyrics. Public enemy etc

by the way anyone interested in goin to an old school jam check out this website www.mainstreamevents.ca

WhiteNikes
07-07-2005, 12:23 AM
F' some reason I think I'd be wrong if I ain't said somethin' 'bout Earth, Wind 'n' Fire.

\JCAR/
07-07-2005, 11:56 PM
i like some of the underground rap GraveDiggaz or Immortal technique

if you wanna hear a really good song but yet really messed up D/L this Immortal Technique-Dance With The Devil