PDA

View Full Version : Real Estate Question

Aleks
06-28-2005, 01:53 PM
I was looking at a house and on a tax assesment it shows no garage yet it does have a double detached unit. But when I print out a property map on the City's website it shows it there. Any idea what's going on there?

Also who's responsibility is it to get a Real Property Assesment. The seller said he wants to negotiate the cost of this. By owner selling. Is it always done by the owner or is this negotiable?

rip
06-28-2005, 02:02 PM
Typically the seller is responsible for the survey. You can avoid getting a new survey done by purchasing title insurance which is much cheaper.

When I purchased my home the previous owner covered the cost of the title insurance instead of providing a new survey.

If i recall correctly the new survey was ~$800 and the title insurance was ~$100

lastprodigy
06-28-2005, 11:31 PM
hmm yeah i always wonder this when i see an assesment that shows an undeveloped basement but the basement is developped or somehting.....isnt the city supposed to approve such things?

Aleks
06-29-2005, 07:46 AM
The basement is not that big of a deal. Objects outside the house like garages and other larger objects you have to get permits for and inspections.

lastprodigy
06-29-2005, 12:59 PM
oh i thought you needed a permit for the basement just to verigy that there are opening windows and such so that people can "legally" live there...i dunno

w3apon
06-29-2005, 01:12 PM
yes you need a building permit for basement renovations.
Also electrical and possibly plumbing and gas if your doing a bathroom/bar or fireplace.

You would want the basement electrical/plumbing/gas permit done mainly for insurance reasons. If your house burns down or floods becuase of faulty wiring/gas/plumbing in the basement and there is no permit you could be SOL in getting insurance to pay.

djayz
06-29-2005, 01:17 PM
yes you do need permits and inspections for basement just incase there foundation leaks or anything as well as what w3apon said above...pretty much any addition you make to a home inside or out needs a permit....even a basketball pole on the garage pad! haha

Aleks
06-29-2005, 01:24 PM
What i meant is the city doesn't care if in the property assesment it says your basement is undeveloped as much as they care about garages...

Z24_3.1
06-29-2005, 01:34 PM
if u have any realestate questions call my bro his name is kal his number is 6206080 hes a realtor and works for remax thanks...