PDA

View Full Version : why wont my axle go in :(

abej6
06-28-2005, 07:28 PM
car is a 92 dx hatch. Motor is from a 95 cx.

passenger axle went in fine, smooth like butta.
drivers axle goes in motor side just fine, but wont fit through the hub/spindle side.

it seems like its too large, gets about 1/10th of the way in, and just flat out stops.

tried a ton of wd40, motor oil, penetrating oil.. you name it to lube it up, but that little bitch wont go in.

all the ''threads'' look fine, nothing is chewed up on either the hub/spindle or the end of the axle....

help ???

Darkane
06-28-2005, 08:18 PM
Look for 2 things:

1) Make sure the splines are actually lined up and going in. If they arent and going in 1/10 you might damage them.

2) If the splines do line up and the axle doesnt go in it (in most cases) means the angle on the axle going into the hub is not right. unbolt the whole assembly so the spindle and hub moves freely if you have too.

G/L.

PS make sure all dirt/crap is out of the hub. Blow compressed air through it. :thumbsup:

SilverBoost
06-29-2005, 07:12 PM
Well I don't know about hondas, but on my nissan there's a little ring that you need to left over a lip on the inside. You have to have someone bang underneath it at the same tiem as someone pushes in so it'll fit over the lip.

Again, that's Nissan... don't know if that exists on yours :dunno:

EK 2.0
06-29-2005, 07:14 PM
If you totally pulled the axles, make 100% sure you are replaing the right with the right and the left with the left. I have seen people mess this up and that's why it doesn't slip in.

abej6
06-29-2005, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
If you totally pulled the axles, make 100% sure you are replaing the right with the right and the left with the left. I have seen people mess this up and that's why it doesn't slip in.

they are different lengths...

just gonna lube em up and go from there :)

Primer_Drift
06-30-2005, 12:26 AM
abej6 remove the axle and check the C-clip at the end, it may be bent. Honda recommends replacing them every time the axle is removed. Athough I don't always replace them, I had a similar problem once when the C- clip bent and the axle refused to go in all the way. Good luck!

abej6
06-30-2005, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Primer_Drift
abej6 remove the axle and check the C-clip at the end, it may be bent. Honda recommends replacing them every time the axle is removed. Athough I don't always replace them, I had a similar problem once when the C- clip bent and the axle refused to go in all the way. Good luck!

the axle went in smooth to the tranny/motor side, but struggles like mad to get in the hub/spindle side...

:guns: AXLE

duffspec
06-30-2005, 11:06 AM
I lost the tip of my thumb trying to get that stupid spindle in. Remember crazy glue is your friend.

I spent hours trying to get that axle in all I can say is alot of shimming and rotation to get that sucker in. Good luck.

Primer_Drift
06-30-2005, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by abej6

the axle went in smooth to the tranny/motor side, but struggles like mad to get in the hub/spindle side...

:guns: AXLE

sorry dude I missread your original post..

Sometimes its easier if you undo the upper A arm, or the Tie-rod. You may have to push down on the knuckle and turn it outwards to get the axle in, and then rotate the hub slowly until it lines up.. then push it in. Also, take a small file and deburr the end of the axle spine. Trying to push them in wrong makes little burrs that add to the difficulty.

Edit: Are these your original axles?

abej6
07-11-2005, 01:25 AM
the axles are from a 95 cx.

and my car is a 92 dx.

both d series motors... both d series axles...

:thumbsdow

illeagle
07-11-2005, 01:41 AM
Try taking the CV out of the tranny, and inserting the correct end in the spindle while it's free..

- Compare it to the old CV... maybe somehow there's a difference?

If they are new/reman, take them back, and exchange them for a new shaft... maybe it was labeled under a wrong car?