PDA

View Full Version : lens and misc camera question

GoChris
06-28-2005, 08:39 PM
I went to the camera store today, they let me try on a few lenses and take a couple pics. I am looking for a wider angle lens, I have a 50mm right now, which is nice and fast and great for indoors.

I need a wide angle for some outdoor photos, and group shots, I tried a 28-200 which I really liked because I think it will be more versatile and the zoom was quite nice :). the other was umm...24-85 I believe, 24mm-something for sure.

the price difference is minimal, only $50 more for the nice zoom. Is there any reason not to get the 28-200? I guess im just looking for some opinions since I am quite the newb still and need a little help deciding, well I want the 28-200 but not really sure of other options that I should be looking at.

they were both canon EF lenses.

on a somewhat related matter where can I buy a nice hard plastic case to hold the camera and a couple lenses? they had some at the store but $100 for a case and foam is too much, I can get foam elsewhere for dirt cheap but cannot find a good case.

thanks for the help guys!!!

lint
06-28-2005, 08:44 PM
do a search in the review section of www.fredmiranda.com and see what others say about the lenses. Generally, the larger the zoom range, the poorer the image quality. What you might want to do is look at the images taken from both lenses full size on your computer. See if you notice a difference.

GoChris
06-28-2005, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by lint
do a search in the review section of www.fredmiranda.com and see what others say about the lenses. Generally, the larger the zoom range, the poorer the image quality. What you might want to do is look at the images taken from both lenses full size on your computer. See if you notice a difference.

alright, i should have taken better pics, I mainly took them to compare the difference between width of the pic taken. pics i took kinda suck to compare quality.

Pihsiak
06-28-2005, 09:19 PM
The 2 lens you looked at were prob the
EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM and
EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 basic or USM series

Both have f3.5 so that they should be fast enuff tho the 24mm would faster of the 2 because it is wider...

The 200mm has a lens size of 72mm which means it will let tons of light in when you are at full zoom, so darker photos or using a slower shutter speed shouldn't be a problem. (when compared to the 75-300mm lens which is only 58mm in dim)

What I do like about the 24mm is the internal manual focus ring. Which means if you take allot of landscape shots, chances are you will have a Cir Polarizer filter on it. If you turned the filter to the setting you wanted and then focused, because the focus ring is not attached to the filter it won't change the polarizer setting. If it was attached MF ring, you’d have to set the filter again....

Not sure if that makes any sense, but if you do a lot of outdoors stuff, go with the 24mm but if you just take fun family photos and don’t want to get into creative photography that much, you’ll have more fun with the 200mm.

(yah canon EF lens book, finally came into some use...)

GoChris
06-28-2005, 10:12 PM
wow, I wish I had more time to learn this. I need to get a lens within a cople (max 3) weeks to take shots at a family function. It will be outdoors, the indoor shots I can use my 50mm.

I am trying to learn best I can. It seems like maybe I should get 2 lenses? One for wide angle and then a nice zoom starting about 50mm like 70 or something ya?

I mainly need something decent for nice outdoor shots for the event, some which will be printed 8x10.

Maybe some of you well informed people can give me some guidance, that would be super! :thumbsup:

Here is a bit more info that might help, I mainly take outdoor shorts, scenic stuff, I goto the zoo alot to practice, but only have a 50mm right now as my only lens. I would like to take some nice closeup shots so eventually I want a cool zoom lens. Also wide angle for some huge outdoor shots, in the mountains, prairies, etc.

The 50mm I have right now has been working good for indoor shots, its a bit narrow at times and sometimes too wide lol.

I will keep reading up on that forum that was suggested also in the meantime.

Ben
06-29-2005, 01:10 AM
What is your budget? Would be happy to make some suggestions if I have an idea of what you're willing to pay.

Based on the lens' you have listed, likely around the 400-500 range.

If I were you and you wanted to keep cost down, keep the 50mm prime, and get a nice Wide Angle EF 20mm f/2.8 USM. Offers decent width and good performance in low light. I would then get a 70-200 4.0L for your zoom lens. Thats a bit more money, so save up, but at roughly 900-1000 bones, it's picture clarity is amazing!

70-200 f/4L
http://www.virgeweb.com/Ben/SnowLeopard.jpg

GoChris
06-29-2005, 04:16 PM
Well, I dont really have a budget. Anywhere from $400 to $1000. My priority right now is just making sure I have something nice for group people pictures outdoors at the end of July. It will most likely be nice and sunny. The zoom is for later for personal enjoyment, but if I get it now as part of the solution for the wide angle, fine by me.

So I wouldnt really be missing anything if I had the 50, the 20 and the 70-200 I guess? Will the 20 be fine in bright sunlight? I like how the 50 performs outdoors. It's quite nice.

benyl
06-29-2005, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Pihsiak
Both have f3.5 so that they should be fast enuff tho the 24mm would faster of the 2 because it is wider...

huh?

f3.5 is f3.5 is f3.5

Lens size has nothing to do with how fast a lens is. It has to do with how big the Aperture mechanism in the lens can open.

If what you are suggesting above were true, you would have to recalibrate your light meter in your camera everytime you put on a different lens.

The 200mm has a lens size of 72mm which means it will let tons of light in when you are at full zoom, so darker photos or using a slower shutter speed shouldn't be a problem.

Slow shutter speeds have nothing to with the lens size. If the lens let's "tons of light in" then you won't need a slower shutter speed.

The advantage of a more expensive lens that is "faster" such as a 2.8 is that you can use a faster shutter speed (lessens the chance of camera shake) with less light.

Make sure you use the correct terms. I think what you were trying to tell him was that with more light being let into the lens, you won't have as many problems taking photos in darker situations.

But as I said, f3.5 is f3.5 on any lens. Sharpness at that aperture is a whole different story!

D'z Nutz
06-29-2005, 05:37 PM
Primes can make for some really good portrait lenses. If you're interested in something wider than the 50mm you got, there's a few posted on the Fred Miranda forums right now from Canadian sellers.

There's 35mm f/2 ($270), 20mm f/2.8 ($525), and 28mm f/2.8 with hood ($280). The person selling the 20mm and 28mm has had them posted for almost a week now with no offers, so I'm sure he or she's probably a bit flexible (and located in Edmonton too). And yes, any of these would be fine in the bright sunlight.

D'z Nutz
06-29-2005, 05:53 PM

The 200mm has a lens size of 72mm ...

Uhh... That's the filter thread size.

Ben
06-30-2005, 12:43 AM
Here's the 20mm in pretty bright sun as a landscape shot.
Shot last weekend.

http://www.virgeweb.com/Ben/minnewanka.jpg

and wide open with some color contrasts.

http://www.virgeweb.com/Ben/cruise05lot.jpg

GoChris
06-30-2005, 09:05 AM
looks good. how far away were you on the 2nd shot Ben?

also, does anyone know where I can get a nice hard plastic case? like square in size, deep enough for the camera and will hold it and about 3 lenses. im gonna fill it with that foam shit.

benyl
06-30-2005, 09:08 AM
Try MEC.

Ben
06-30-2005, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by GoChris
looks good. how far away were you on the 2nd shot Ben?

also, does anyone know where I can get a nice hard plastic case? like square in size, deep enough for the camera and will hold it and about 3 lenses. im gonna fill it with that foam shit.

I dunno, maybe 20 feet.

As for cases, Pelican cases are the best IMO, but they're pricey. I have one for my camera, and it affords me peice of mind knowing it's used by military for air drops, and is submergable up to 100 feet, and even has a purge valve.

FOr my daily activities if I need to transport it in rugged conditions, I know it'll hold up. Last thing I need is to damage my pride and joy.

GoChris
06-30-2005, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Ben

I dunno, maybe 20 feet.

As for cases, Pelican cases are the best IMO, but they're pricey. I have one for my camera, and it affords me peice of mind knowing it's used by military for air drops, and is submergable up to 100 feet, and even has a purge valve.

FOr my daily activities if I need to transport it in rugged conditions, I know it'll hold up. Last thing I need is to damage my pride and joy.

where did you pick up that case?

I am still confused on lenses haha. I'm gonna read up some more, see some more photos if I can. There seems to be alot of used ones, so that will save me some $$ and then I can maybe get a slightly better one.

Ben
07-01-2005, 09:13 AM

where did you pick up that case?

I am still confused on lenses haha. I'm gonna read up some more, see some more photos if I can. There seems to be alot of used ones, so that will save me some $$ and then I can maybe get a slightly better one.

I got it way back 5 years ago from the Spy Store originally for my Beretta, I use the case for my cam every so often when I travel. Interchangable foam.

GoChris
07-08-2005, 10:01 AM
Wow theres alot of lens choices out there. Gets confusing for an amatuer. I am going to go with a 20mm I think based on suggestions from D'z Nutz and Ben and because I want a bit wider than the 24mm i thought I might originally get.

Just trying to find a used one for save some $$ but its proving a bit difficult. I have been searching on fredmiranda.com but so far no luck. If anyone by chance has or knows of one for sale, let me know. Where might be a good place to get a decent price on a new one if I need to go that router? The Camer Store? I need it within 2 weeks.

D'z Nutz
07-08-2005, 10:50 AM
Here's the ad I was referring to:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic2/242924

GoChris
07-08-2005, 11:11 AM
yes thanks I left him/her a PM earlier today, so just waiting on a reply.

Does that site have any sort of trader rating? I'm new so I'm probably the one that they will find sketchy hehe.

Anyway, what is a good price for that? $525 seems a bit high compared to what others on the forum were selling for? I was thinking $450 or $500 incl shipping.

D'z Nutz
07-08-2005, 11:23 AM
Are you sure anyone else that's selling that lens has listed it in Canadian prices? The lens goes for $639.95 brand new at The Camera Store and $700 at Vistek. $525 sounds like a good price to me, plus it comes with a hood. You might be able to get it for $500 if he/she's desperate enough...

There's an Positive/Neutral comments thread sticked at the top of the marketplace forum. Just search for the username if you want to check on them.

Someone posted at Tokina 17mm that's sort of tempting. You lose a stop so it might not be as great as an indoor lens, but it's cheaper and wider.

lint
07-08-2005, 11:28 AM
yes thanks I left him/her a PM earlier today, so just waiting on a reply.

Does that site have any sort of trader rating? I'm new so I'm probably the one that they will find sketchy hehe.

Anyway, what is a good price for that? $525 seems a bit high compared to what others on the forum were selling for? I was thinking $450 or $500 incl shipping.

Check with this guy too:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic2/248000/0#2049009

He had originally listed the 20 f2.8 by itself, then as a package. He originally said $450 too, good price from what I can see.

However, have you considered a wide zoom? There are wide relatively fast lenses out there, and personal taste, I prefer the conveniece of zooms over the better image quality of the prime. Sigma has an 18-50 f2.8 DC lens that's just out, there's the Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 (http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=191&sort=7&cat=43&page=1), and the Tokina 20-35 f2.8 (http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=175&sort=7&cat=40&page=1). Another lens to consider for wide outdoors shots is the Tokina 12-24 f4 (http://www.photo.net/equipment/tokina/12-24-f4/)

Just to throw some more options your way :D

D'z Nutz
07-08-2005, 11:40 AM
Holy shit, that's an even better price.

GoChris
07-08-2005, 01:05 PM
Yes, thats one of the other guys I msg'd. However in another thread he mentioned he would only sell it as a set with 2 others. Neither of which I really wanted so he would not sell it to me, I already asked him today and he replied :(

Those other lends are tempting, I would rather have some zoom also, but failed to really located any good alternatives.

Crap now I am even more undecided, I really want one of those wide zooms now! If someone walked up to me with any and said here, I would probably hand cash over lol. I am undecisive cause I don't know enough to make comfortable informed decision really.

Now to look for a wide zoom, I think I would be happier, I still plan to get something like the 70-200 later on too.

GoChris
07-08-2005, 01:17 PM
the guy in edmonton with the 20mm f/2.8 replied back, he said $550 lol but must be a type since his thread states $525. anyway I could guy that but will wait till later today to reply in hopes of finding out more about the others that lint mentioned which I am start to sway towards.

sorry for all the spam :rofl:

lint
07-08-2005, 01:27 PM
I've found that it's better to wait and find something that you REALLY need/want, rather than pull the trigger on the first lens that crosses your path. You need to figure out what is more important to you: image quality (prime) vs versatility (zoom), what focal lengths you really want to shoot at (is 20mm enough or do you want super wide? Can you make do with 28mm and go for a 28-75 zoom for a walk around lens? etc)

Once you have your must have lens, then you can jump on it whenever you see a good deal. As much as I find myself wanting more glass, I'm finding ways to make do. I still get enough keepers to make me happy with what I've got.

GoChris
07-08-2005, 01:48 PM
well I have been looking for a few weeks now, and I actually am on a deadline since I need the equipment for someone to take some photos and an event in BC.

I want the good quality for this event but other than that I would probably be more happy with the zoom versatility. I could probably get away with the zoom for the even also. Since nothing will be printed larger than 8x10 we should be alright.

All I have right now is a 50mm prime. So I need a wide, and then a larger zoom eventually. I'd probably be ok with those 3 for a while. Whether it be a 28-75 or 24-85 or 28-105 I don't know which I want/need.
I just need someting wider (than my 50) for group shots and would like to do landscape shots etc, what everyone wants em for ya know.

So I could get the 24, then a 70-200 later, would I be missing out on anything having the gap from 24 to 50 and no zoom in anything below 70?

(i hope i make sense cause im kinda still dumb on all this)

lint
07-08-2005, 03:45 PM
well I have been looking for a few weeks now, and I actually am on a deadline since I need the equipment for someone to take some photos and an event in BC.

I want the good quality for this event but other than that I would probably be more happy with the zoom versatility. I could probably get away with the zoom for the even also. Since nothing will be printed larger than 8x10 we should be alright.

All I have right now is a 50mm prime. So I need a wide, and then a larger zoom eventually. I'd probably be ok with those 3 for a while. Whether it be a 28-75 or 24-85 or 28-105 I don't know which I want/need.
I just need someting wider (than my 50) for group shots and would like to do landscape shots etc, what everyone wants em for ya know.

So I could get the 24, then a 70-200 later, would I be missing out on anything having the gap from 24 to 50 and no zoom in anything below 70?

(i hope i make sense cause im kinda still dumb on all this)

Ok, your time contraints changes things a bit. As a rule of thumb, better quality lenses will hold their value better. Meaning that if you invest in more expensive lenses now for this shoot and find that the focal lengths aren't what you need, you can easily recover 75-90% of the price you paid for it, and that difference can be looked at as a rental fee. Better yet, find it used and sell it for almost what you paid for it when you're done.

Go to a camera store and try some different lenses of different focal lengths and see if you think they'd work for you. It's really hard to determine what you're going to need without doing some experimenting. For a real bargain wide zoom, the 18-55 kit lens really isn't that bad. When stopped down, you can get some very crisp pictures that won't put a dent in your wallet.

GoChris
07-08-2005, 04:46 PM
I think I am going to get that 20mm, and probably a 17-35 tamron perhaps.

then I will have what I need for the event, and if I want to sell the 20 after, I can and wont lose much $$ at all. :clap:

I didnt get the 18-55 kit, but maybe I can find someone selling that also.

wired'sspecv
07-12-2005, 08:33 PM
It's going to be a tough call either way you look at it. I'll share with you my experience.....

I recently purchased a Canon Elan 7NE SLR camera and was having trouble deciding which lens to obtain (such as yourself).....

After looking at lenses for what seemed to be an eternity I finally settled on Canons EF F3.5 28-105 USM II Lens. I figured it would allow me the greatest bit of flexibility until I purchased another lens later. The range of this lens allows landscape photography (at 28mm) and portrait photography at the other end of the spectrum (100mm is a great portrait setting).

Everything I've read indicates that the relatively inexpensive 28-105 F3.5 USM II lens is a great choice and a very good lens for the money. I will certainly agree with this statement having also purchased Canon's EF F4.5-5.6 75-300 USM III Lens. I needed a zoom lens and purchased the 75-300 lens......

There is no comparison! The original 28-105 lens is a much better lens and better quality...you can tell as you hold the 75-300 in your hand, which feels very cheap. However I use the 75-300 specifically for zoom applications leaving the other lens for my primary work.

I later purchased an inexpensive used lens for even wider aperature....I found a Vivitar 19-35 lens (on Ebay) for wide landscape photography work. This is a good lens for the money....however aside from the specialty photography when I need either this lens or the Canon zoom 75-300 lens......the original 28-105 is usually the one I use.

Unfortunately, good quality wide lenses are usually expensive, and zoom lenses from Canon do not even come close in quality until you start looking at the models with the "L" in them........(professional series lenses, very very expensive).

If you haven't made your decision yet, I would suggest that the Canon EF F3.5 28-105 USM II is a worthwhile choice.

Hope this helps.

D'z Nutz
07-12-2005, 09:27 PM
I have the 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM II as well and it's easily my most used lens. The range it has makes it a good walk around lens if I'm just going around with my camera with nothing in particular to shoot. Every once in a while I'm tempted to sell it off, but each time I get the urge, I end up shooting something that turns out pretty well. It is definitely not a good lens to use in low light situations, but in well-lit ones, it's pretty damn good for a lens you'll have no problem finding for less than $200 used. As long as you're not expecting L quality, this lens shouldn't be too hard to please with.

But one thing the lens is not, is wide.

GoChris
07-12-2005, 10:11 PM
I bought a 20mm lens used, it should be here tomorrow. I can't wait. I am not sure if I will keep it long term, but I guess once I try it out I might have more of an idea.

I am going to find a zoom lens, maybe one like suggest, just a cheap everyday lens for nothing in particular. The 50mm I have is nice but kind of limited.

So even if I get one that overlaps I think I will be very happy. No rush now that I have a wide angle right now which I *needed* to get.

The 74-200 also is very tempting, but thats a few paychecks away I think.

Also, I found a Pelican Case, a bit more money than I wanted to spend, but compared to what some cheaply made cases cost, this one is worth it, its the 1500 model. It says its unbreakable...but I'm tempted to put that to the test LOL.

GoChris
07-21-2005, 11:24 AM
Well, I went on sort of a buying spree :eek:

I am probably going to sell a lens after my wedding/honeymoon since I have some overlap.

I bought that 20mm, and a 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM II, and I just paid a guy this morning for a 70-200 F4 L which should be here tomorrow :clap:

Plus I got a nice pelican 1500 case to put it all in :) Too bad the friggin tripod mount for the 70-200 is so much money. I don't think I'll be using it on the tripod anyway. So gonna play with all these this weekend, all those in addition to my 50mm I have should give me a nice selection to take all kinds of shots over the next couple weeks.

Gonna be in Nelson, Victoria, and Vancouver so I'll have a shitload of photos.

One more question, is buying a faster CF card only going to help when transferring to the computer? It won't help with internal camera writes will it?

I have a 1GB right now but I need more room, at least another 1GB I think. Which CF card is decent?

Ben
07-21-2005, 11:41 AM
Good job on the Purchases!

As for Memory Cards, I've been using the Lexar Professional 80x cards and have been really happy with their performance, definatly faster to write to card when the camera buffer is full from multiple photos IMO. Plus Xfering via Card Reader onto the computer seems to be a lot faster compared to standard cards.

D'z Nutz
07-21-2005, 12:11 PM
You will notice the difference if you're using a faster card to transfer files to and from the computer. As to whether you will notice faster writing/reading with the camera, that depends on the body and card:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

I also have a Lexar 80x card. If you decide to go with a Lexar Professional 80x card, be sure to check the edge stamp. Canon and Lexar have acknowledged that some cards have been known to lose and/or corrupt photos taken with Canon dSLRs. If you have one of these, send it in and they'll exchange it for a good one. Check Lexar's webpage for more info.

Other than that, I'm all for Lexar. I'm very anti-Sandisk, but that's just my personal experience and preference.

GoChris
07-21-2005, 01:04 PM
alright, thanks guys! I will go to memoryexpress after work I think and see what I can spend more money (aka credit) on.

I guess I should get a card reader too, ouch.

benyl
07-21-2005, 01:17 PM
Is the 70-400 F4 L even heavy enough for a tripod mount?

lint
07-21-2005, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Is the 70-400 F4 L even heavy enough for a tripod mount?

Wouln't that depend on what ball head is being used? The collar would help it all balance better.

GoChris
07-25-2005, 09:50 AM
So I went to memex and bought a lexar 80x 1GB card. Wow, it IS noticeably faster. Before on burst mode I could do about 4 shots then it would have to finish writing. Now it seems I can hold down the button and it will just keep going and going and going. It definately writes faster.

Now, where can I go buy another card, but a place I can take it back after, haha. I know thats bad but I'm broke now and need another card only temporarily so we dont run outta room before we can unload the pics.

Tried costco, they only had shitty sandisk ones. STaples doesn't seem to carry them based on their website inventory.

Another thing, I took pics on the weekend in RAW mode, installed photoshop, now what? Anyone have a tutorial on how to process them?

RC-Cola
07-25-2005, 11:08 AM
Another thing, I took pics on the weekend in RAW mode, installed photoshop, now what? Anyone have a tutorial on how to process them?

What version of Photoshop are you using? If it's CS or version 8 it has a Raw Converter build into the program. Just make sure that you grab the updates so it will reconize your camera.

GoChris
07-25-2005, 11:22 AM
ya its the newest version, CS2

so I would have to plug in the camera, or can I use an import feature so I can plug the card into the reader. I'm at work and forgot the damn card so i'll have to wait tilll I get home to try it out.

RC-Cola
07-25-2005, 04:45 PM
ya its the newest version, CS2

so I would have to plug in the camera, or can I use an import feature so I can plug the card into the reader. I'm at work and forgot the damn card so i'll have to wait tilll I get home to try it out.

I use a card reader, so I put the card into the reader, open up CS, press file open and point my browser to the drive with the card and open.

Once the file opens it will give you options as to how you want to convert it (jpg, gif, tiff etc) and what if any process do you want to add.

Then you can work on it normally like any other file.