PDA

View Full Version : Aluminized vs. Stainless

CSMRX7
06-29-2005, 10:05 AM
Ok,

So I know the argument for stainless, its pretty, and lasts forever,

but if it scratches it rusts like a bitch and its heavier than aluminized steel.

If the car is purely a summer car and rairly even seens rain do you think there would be any disadvantage to running aluminized steel?

legendboy
06-29-2005, 10:44 AM
It depends on the purpose. Stainless will rust if its cut, welded or scratched and hasn't had any form of passivation to reform the chromium layer (which gives stainless its resistance to corrosion)

Stainless is a good material for exhaust but normally alumized or galvanized steel will hold up just as well, especially on a summer car.

Steel in general is the wrong material to use for charge piping.

CSMRX7
06-29-2005, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by legendboy
It depends on the purpose. Stainless will rust if its cut, welded or scratched and hasn't had any form of passivation to reform the chromium layer (which gives stainless its resistance to corrosion)

Stainless is a good material for exhaust but normally alumized or galvanized steel will hold up just as well, especially on a summer car.

Steel in general is the wrong material to use for charge piping.

Its for a midpipe.

I also PMd you about fabing an IC.

Primer_Drift
06-29-2005, 10:57 AM
Stainless also has better heat resistance , higher cold ductility, and higher hot strength than mild or aluminized steel. These properties make it better suited for exhaust and charge pipe applications as it is less prone to cracking and heat soak.

rockym20
06-29-2005, 01:22 PM
Every exhaust shop I have talked to has said that stainless is not needed for Calgary. Aluminized will give you long lasting performance for a much lower price. If you look around, most cars on the street that are even 10 or 15 years old (and older...)have their original exhaust. I can guarantee you will get rid of the car long before you realize the benefits of stainless.

Redlyne_mr2
06-29-2005, 07:08 PM
I would not go with anything but stainless for exhaust. I dont trust aluminized steel under high heat applications.

Legendboy, why do you not suggest stainless for charge piping?

CSMRX7
06-29-2005, 09:43 PM
Oh and by the way this is a super high heat application.

It can be difficult pyrometers with rotaries because they melt the sender!!!

However the stock cat is aluminized!!

legendboy
06-30-2005, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Legendboy, why do you not suggest stainless for charge piping?

Steel has terrible thermal properties. It absorbs heat and holds on to it. Also, weight. Aluminum is the proper material for the job, and is better in every way than steel for this purpose.

That being said i don't use aluminum myself because its 2x as expensive! :D but i am doing to do a 4" aluminum exhaust this summer some time, from the downpipe back.

rockym20
06-30-2005, 01:04 PM
Aluminum has a low melting temperature and is not an effective material for exhausts. Ask around with a few mechanics or exhaust shops and see what they think of using straight aluminum for an exhaust.

legendboy
06-30-2005, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by rockym20
Aluminum has a low melting temperature and is not an effective material for exhausts. Ask around with a few mechanics or exhaust shops and see what they think of using straight aluminum for an exhaust.

don't worry about it, mine will be fine

Primer_Drift
07-01-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by CSMRX7
Oh and by the way this is a super high heat application.

It can be difficult pyrometers with rotaries because they melt the sender!!!

However the stock cat is aluminized!!

For super high heat even stainless has its limitations, Inconel is what you want for a rotary. Only problem being the price... probably twice as much as 321 stainless, but well worth it I am sure!

Inconel link (http://www.burnsstainless.com/InconelTube/inconeltube.html)

h20junkie
07-05-2005, 11:24 PM
I'm upgrading the exhaust on my truck and have been going crazy trying to find a way to get a stainless 3" pipe made. The truck will see heavy winter driving and I'm worried that aluminized steel will corrode pretty quickly....

Am I worrying too much about that? Have any of you guys had an aluminized steel pipe on a vehicle for quite awhile in calgary (that does see winter) and how has it been holding up?

Are there really any huge benefits to having stainless that would be noticable within 5 years? Or would I be fine with getting aluminized pipes? I don't want to be kicking myself if the pipes rust apart pretty quickly as the truck is nearly new.