PDA

View Full Version : question about suspension

euro_racer
06-29-2005, 05:01 PM
hey im a owner of a 2000 acura integra and im wondering what to go with: springs or coilovers

i have heard some good and bad things about both, one thing that i dont like about springs is that you will be low throughout the whole year but with coilovers you can always change your height. but then i heard that coils have a very bad ride confort and they damage your stock shocks quicker than springs, another thing about coils i heard was that the threads will rust or get damaged in winters so that you wont be able to adjust them after driving through one winter.

so now im really confused on what to do, what does everyone else suggest to go with coilovers or springs and if to go with springs how much should i drop it?

EK 2.0
06-29-2005, 05:06 PM
Coilovers for the fact that you can adjust the height of them.

But having said that...any big increases, or reductions of ride height you will require an alignment or corner balance. And the hassle for most coilovers to raise or lower your car is not worth it you usually just set it and forget it.

As for the rusting of the threads. I have not expirienced that...yeah it does get a lil build up on it, but keep them clean with a light coat of anti-seize and you are good to go.

The advatange of a coiloverset-up, you can make adjustments for different wheels, lips, or other mods that may require a height change.

euro_racer
06-29-2005, 06:26 PM
how about the ride confort? do they differ alot or are they similar?
and how low can i lower the car without having to get a wheel alignment all the time, i do know that once you lower it you need a wheel alignment but lets say i lowered it or raised it a little bit after the alignment, will i need a new one?

ryder_23
06-29-2005, 06:27 PM
Anytime you change the suspension geometry at all, you need an alignment. Therefore, you lower it once, and get an alignment done, its set for the height, and that ehight only.

euro_racer
06-29-2005, 07:29 PM
so im best off with springs right?

euro_racer
06-29-2005, 10:19 PM
any one? need more opinions/vievs

rage2
06-29-2005, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by euro_racer
how about the ride confort? do they differ alot or are they similar?
Ride comfort depends on spring rates, shock rates, and vehicle weight. If you go too stiff, it'll hurt. If your shocks aren't designed for the spring rate you go with, it'll hurt.

Aleks
06-29-2005, 10:30 PM
You know how low mine sit. my rates are 460/350 (race springs)or something close to that and I think that's on the stiff side for daily driving. Some people love it though. I'm used to it and I don't mind. I've had springs and coils and I prefer springs. I bought AGX adjustable shocks cuz I knew my stocks wouldn't last long with those springs. My brother has the sport springs and they are much softer 260/260. They are easier on your tooth fillings but mine corner better. So it's a compromise. Stock rates are something like 210/120 I believe. Also I drove my car all winter long and had no issues.