PDA

View Full Version : Behind the Wheel - June 29, 2005

skidmark
06-29-2005, 07:57 PM
To Write, or Not to Write...

"Don't you guys ever do anything else than write tickets?" asked the visibly upset gentleman who had just been stopped for travelling at 86 km/h in the posted 60 km/h zone. "Can't you give a guy a warning? This is my second ticket this year and I will owe ICBC a lot of money!"

What is a good answer to this man? He is obviously frustrated by the situation and probably upset with himself for driving like this in the first place. The trouble is, he can't get to where he was without passing 60 signs. Who shoulders the blame? I'm an easy target.

Ask the people who live along this road and they will likely not by overly sympathetic to his predicament. After all, they have to get into and out of their driveways safely and they have family and friends that use the road regularly.

Traffic enforcement tools are quite limited when you think about it. I have a warning and a ticket to use, or a document compelling the driver to attend court for really serious violations. Beyond that, about all I can do is write to the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles and suggest sanctions. They are generally not interested as unless the driver has a medical or physical problem, they use the ticket total to decide on punitive action.

In my view, a warning was not appropriate for this speed and location, so I am left with the ticket. Am I a good guy or a bad guy? Regardless of my choice I will fall into one or both of these categories from the point of view of the driver, myself and other road users. I wrote the ticket. I see what happens when things go wrong on the highway.

It's also interesting that he has only seen members of my unit writing tickets. Perhaps he has not seen this column in the newspaper, been to a presentation on safe driving or visited our web site when it was operational. There are efforts being made to have drivers follow the rules before the pen and the ticket book come out.

Tyler883
07-06-2005, 10:14 PM
BC statistics show that the small group that is traveling 15% faster than the speed limit ( ie 69 in a 60 km/h zone) is actualy less likely to get into an accident than the much larger group of people that drive the speed limit.

If safety is what you are after, I hope you spend as much time
pulling over the "speed limit" drivers and ask them to drive safer.

sexualbanana
07-06-2005, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Tyler883
If safety is what you are after, I hope you spend as much time
pulling over the "speed limit" drivers and ask them to drive safer.

If being a smart ass is what you are after, I hope you spend as much time telling the "15% faster" drivers that driving faster doesn't mean they get in significantly less accidents.

EDIT: grammatical error

Tyler883
07-07-2005, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

If being a smart ass is what you are after, I hope you spend as much time telling the "15% faster" drivers that driving faster doesn't mean they get in significantly less accidents.

EDIT: grammatical error

If it is an informed opinion that you want check this out:

http://www.sense.bc.ca/research.htm

sexualbanana
07-07-2005, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Tyler883

If it is an informed opinion that you want check this out:

http://www.sense.bc.ca/research.htm

Following that sense, we should keep our economy in constant recession since it's well known that there are less high-risk drivers on the road during these times.

That site also states that insurance companies are the main opposition towards raising speed limits. As much as that makes sense, raising speed limits won't do anything except result in even higher speeds. For example, the common myth is that you won't get a ticket if you stay within 10 km/h of the posted limit. Meaning a road with a posted limit of 80 km/h, will have an implied "buffer zone" to 90 km/h. So if limits get raised, what happens? The same road is now 90 km/h, and everyone still takes into account the 10 km/h buffer. Now everyone is going 100 km/h. Has there been a significant difference? Probably not.

Back on topic, I wonder how many of these accidents involved the "15% faster" driver rear ending the "speed limit" driver. I've seen it happen, and it's not pretty. In addition, cops have no reason to pull over these "speed limit drivers." Why? Because they haven't broken the law. The "15% faster" drivers is driving faster than the posted speed limit, therefore deserves to get a ticket because the posted limit is the law.

In my opinion, it all comes down to this. Driving speed limit does not make you invincible nor prone to MVAs. Going above speed limit does not make you invincible nor prone to MVAs. Driver awareness and ability avoids MVAs, if we had more competent drivers on the road, we would see MVAs occur with less frequency.

Tyler883
07-07-2005, 12:44 AM
:zzz: