PDA

View Full Version : No more rain , here come the mosquitoes!

Redlyne_mr2
06-30-2005, 01:00 AM
I live near a lot of trees and grass. I'm finding it almost unbearable to walk my dog because of all the mosquitoes. Any suggestions on some good repellent, I haven't bought the stuff in years.

Hash_man
06-30-2005, 01:02 AM
Its nuts out there... my back yard is infested so bad!! :eek:

I havent used bug spray forever either... but the stuff in the green aerosol type can seemed to work the best back in the day... stunk like shit, but it worked/

brettg
06-30-2005, 01:03 AM
i was playing baseball the other night and almost got eaten alive, i was using that muskoil shit, the spray, it worked pretty good. that or deep woods off.
this year i dont think it matters wut u use ur gona get bit, it is just brutal out there.

kenny
06-30-2005, 01:08 AM
You need to buy the one with the horn type opening that makes a huge cloud of fine repellant mist. Coat the dog with it and yourself and then carry it with u to spray huge clusters of them when ur walking the dog.

illeagle
06-30-2005, 01:10 AM
deep woods.. you'll still get bit once or twice, but with repelant, at least you won't be swatting at the air every 2 seconds ..:(

nismodrifter
06-30-2005, 01:20 AM
I got PEEEEEEEEOWNED today by the damn mosquitos, mosquitos are freaking HUGE!!

ronaldo
06-30-2005, 01:21 AM
repellent doesnt work this year...its like theyve grown immune to it. whether or not you wear repellent they WILL eat you alive

7thgenvic
06-30-2005, 01:27 AM
mmmmmmmmm i LOVE EM!

kiwi
06-30-2005, 01:31 AM
crazy mosquitos are freakin HUGE!!!

wildrice
06-30-2005, 01:40 AM
jeez around 10 o clock tonite. I'm in my room on the second floor and I look out the window. Right by my window I see a huge group of mosquitoes flying around. Must have been at least 50 of them all bunch together.

schurchill39
06-30-2005, 01:59 AM
Yea i was just down in calgary and it is pretty bad down there... Just be happy you dont live in the hat. Its so bad down here we even have a damned event named after them "The Sandfly Festival"

Benny
06-30-2005, 04:35 AM
Just rub gasoline on yourself like a real man. :thumbsup:

Skyline_Addict
06-30-2005, 04:58 AM
even at the gas station, it was brutal.

/////AMG
06-30-2005, 05:00 AM
Ohh finally I see atleast one good reason why I am not in Calgary.

A2VR6
06-30-2005, 07:31 AM
Honestly, I cant stand outside for more than 5 minutes before being bitten by atleast 4 or 5 of em. The worst thing is that it starts to swell like a mofo right after.

duffspec
06-30-2005, 07:42 AM
^^^^ WERD! I am thinking of buying those mosquitoes traps that run off propane. They say that if one person bought one in every community the next thing that would be on the endangered list would be mosquitoes. I'm going to suck it up for Falconridge....Die you useless creatures from hell. :thumbsup:

CSMRX7
06-30-2005, 07:49 AM
I took a little drive last night, and now I don't know what color the front of my car is!!! I have never hit so many bugs in my life, and I grew up in the South!!!

civic_stylez
06-30-2005, 07:59 AM
at my friends lake in montana, they have mosquito hawk that eat those things by the millions, no matter where you are in the forest or by the lake there isnt a single bloodsucker anywhere, we really need to breed them here.... last night my friends fan belt came off his car and it took us the better part of an hour to get it fixed and i have never been molested by mosquitoes so bad in my life...

xkon
06-30-2005, 08:31 AM
Reminds me of going to winnipeg :) should have brought the mosquito fogger home last year!

trikypenguin
06-30-2005, 08:41 AM
man as soon as u go in the rough at my golf course u get swarmed, hell they are even swarming u when your on the pathway, i don't know how ppl are playin, its hard enough workin in it

bonnieclyde240
06-30-2005, 08:44 AM
^^^true, Winnipeg has TONS of mosquito's, it's so bad that they usually put out a warning to different areas of the city, and then they go to each area to spray some mosquito killer fog in the middle of the night.

Does anyone know if they spray/fog different areas here in Calgary for mosquitos?

toyboy88
06-30-2005, 08:52 AM
man last sunday at about 9am to noon (soccer pratice) damn!!!! deep woods off worked pretty good...after i sprayed tho there were still so many there was seriously a good 75 of them just hovering above my head following me the whole time :eek: :(

Moonracer
06-30-2005, 08:56 AM
I'm going camping this weekend and I'm not looking forward to the mosquitoes. We got area spray and the shit to spray on ourselves. mmm I'm gonna smell good. Plus I'm wearing pants and a long sleeve all weekend. Let the war.....I mean fun begin :rofl:

legendboy
06-30-2005, 08:58 AM
I went for a walk around the hidden valley pond thingy and i swear i had 100 swarming me

Seanith
06-30-2005, 09:22 AM
When I have my windows down at a stop light 5 mosquitos will swarm into my car! :(

ZorroAMG
06-30-2005, 10:21 AM
Mosquitoes are t3h gay. I was in mid swat of one in the elevator at the office with my folder when the door opened. Got the:confused: WTF look from some chick :rofl: :rofl:

TKRIS
06-30-2005, 10:21 AM
Fuck this. I'm buying a pet bat.

I found a website that has bathouse plans on it so that you can build a small enclosure in your backyard, attract a bat or two to come live in it and they'll fly around all night kicking some serious mesquito ass. I'm sure my neighbors will be real thrilled with my new pet, but fuck them, no mesquitos.

Plus, I can finally start refering to myself as Batman.

Two words: Utility Belt.

Kris

Davetronz
06-30-2005, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Mosquitoes are t3h gay. I was in mid swat of one in the elevator at the office with my folder when the door opened. Got the:confused: WTF look from some chick :rofl: :rofl:
Its great when they get into the car and you have to do the mad swatting and swinging while stuck in traffic.... LOL
People look at you like you are retarded.

duffspec
06-30-2005, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by FastDak318

Its great when they get into the car and you have to do the mad swatting and swinging while stuck in traffic.... LOL
People look at you like you are retarded.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Khalil
06-30-2005, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by duffspec
^^^^ WERD! I am thinking of buying those mosquitoes traps that run off propane. They say that if one person bought one in every community the next thing that would be on the endangered list would be mosquitoes. I'm going to suck it up for Falconridge....Die you useless creatures from hell. :thumbsup:

what traps are these??
where can u get em from?

WhiteNikes
06-30-2005, 02:29 PM
just tryin' t walk on the cot dyam side walk they's alll ova yo face 'n' joint. try 'n' hit no piece a grass 'n' cain't even talk, like they's gonna eat yo tounge.

duffspec
06-30-2005, 03:29 PM
Well, don't quote me but, what they do is emit a low level of co2(mimick humans) and attract large populations of the mosquitoes to the trap, at the same time sucking them in to a container. They say that in an hour of use a single trap can kill more than 100,000 mosquitoes. I think you can get them at costco/revy/home depot. The price is aroung 2-3 hundred dollers. On a full size propane tank the trap will last 1-2 weeks. I'm going to look for one today.

ryder_23
06-30-2005, 03:36 PM
I was out last night, just having a leisurly hot tub. Only to wake up this morning, with bites all over my face, hands, neck, you name it, it got it. Just brutal.

calgarygts
06-30-2005, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by WhiteNikes
just tryin' t walk on the cot dyam side walk they's alll ova yo face 'n' joint. try 'n' hit no piece a grass 'n' cain't even talk, like they's gonna eat yo tounge.

It would make my day, maybe even my week, just to hear you talk.

Primer_Drift
06-30-2005, 04:10 PM
I was outside for 3 hours last night, after a while they grew accustomed to my presence and no longer bit me (of course by that time I needed blood). They only swarmed when the pressure washer I was using was making noise. I've got 7 bites total thus far..

Luckily early summer mosquitos are not the prevailant variety that carry west nile virus.. but definetly use repellant and wear long sleeves and pants if you're going to be outside for any extended periods this summer.

From my experience with them so far here's what I found attacts them the most:

-Dark clothing
-carbon dioxide from breathing, or vehicle exhaust
-loud noises
-walking near, or in the grass

Chester
06-30-2005, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by duffspec
Well, don't quote me but, what they do is emit a low level of co2(mimick humans) and attract large populations of the mosquitoes to the trap, at the same time sucking them in to a container. They say that in an hour of use a single trap can kill more than 100,000 mosquitoes. I think you can get them at costco/revy/home depot. The price is aroung 2-3 hundred dollers. On a full size propane tank the trap will last 1-2 weeks. I'm going to look for one today.

I'm def gonna have to pick one of these up and pursuade the neighbors to get one too

2000_SI
06-30-2005, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by calgarygts

It would make my day, maybe even my week, just to hear you talk.

you forgot the word "properly" on the end of that sentence....:rofl: :rofl:

Chester
06-30-2005, 04:29 PM
it wouldn't be such a pain in the ass if the bites didn't itch so damn much

Khyron
06-30-2005, 09:56 PM
I pity those in traffic without AC. Roast alive, or get eaten alive.

Khyron

Skyline_Addict
06-30-2005, 10:01 PM
aghhh. i got a couple kissers on my face! this sucks!

Kobe
06-30-2005, 10:19 PM
working outside sucks :(

BerserkerCatSplat
06-30-2005, 10:27 PM
Those mosquito traps are a good idea, but they're damn expensive!

http://www.sears.ca/cgi-bin/so_itm.cgi?lang=e&id=13&cid=13&pd=n&eventID=0&itemID=250946&qtycount=&day=0&hr=0&fv=

CdnSilverStreak
06-30-2005, 11:24 PM
Too many down here in Leth... stupid rain and the standing water...

canadian_hustla
06-30-2005, 11:41 PM
fuck i hate fucking mosquitoes

got a bite on my forehead today. stupid little shits. The city has to do something about the standing water/spraying... otherwise west nile is going to run rampant!

Chiggles
07-01-2005, 02:45 AM
Wow, usually I miss being back at home, but with the floods giving the mosquito population an abundance of places to multiply on, I'm a little glad I'm still stuck away at the moment. Ever since I was a kid I've been rather alergic to skeeter bites. Like, when I get bitten, the region becomes so affected that it turns into the size of a CD, and it turns all purple colored and bruise-looking that it looks like I've been beaten with a bat. At my high school after grad when we were at the bar, I could barely hold onto my own drink or a cue stick since the back of my hands had been ravaged so badly that they looked like a pair of air-filled rubber gloves ready to burst. Hurt like a bitch to close my hand around anything for a week at least.... a drink, toothbrush, my pen, turning the door knob.

Anyway, back on topic.... yeah, try to carry a small aerosol of Deep Woods or Off with you everywhere you go for while you're outside for the next few weeks or whatever, not to mention a stick of After Bite to use on the bite just as soon as you're aware of it to keep the itching and the swelling down. ....And for those of you feeling aggressive and going on the offensive, carry an insecticide spray with you too. Just remember to spray AWAY from yourself and from prevailing winds, and NOT straight up. Try no to poison yourself in the process, okay? :devil: :guns:

duffspec
07-02-2005, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSpl
Those mosquito traps are a good idea, but they're damn expensive!

http://www.sears.ca/cgi-bin/so_itm.cgi?lang=e&id=13&cid=13&pd=n&eventID=0&itemID=250946&qtycount=&day=0&hr=0&fv=

There are knock off versions which are cheaper, which work just as good. Couldn't find one, all sold out. :cry:

Moonracer
07-03-2005, 11:18 AM
Well I just got back from camping in kananaskis and there weren't any mosquitoes whatsoever to worry about. I think I wacked at 2 or 3 the whole time. I didn't use any of the repelent we bought either. I was pleasently shocked.

finboy
07-03-2005, 12:14 PM
for some reason they swarm me, but i only have 5 or 6 bites, and i work outdoors in grass 9 hours a day :dunno:

i've also found that repelent doesn't seem to affect them this year, they still land, so you just have to be quick and keep killing them by hand.:dunno:

FiveFreshFish
07-03-2005, 04:20 PM
Don't wear cologne, perfume or anything sweet-smelling. Use unscented soap.

codo
07-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Don't wear cologne, perfume or anything sweet-smelling. Use unscented soap.

just dont wash period. w00t best choice i ever made, cept for the fact that the only girls that talk to you have mullets and who knows if they're actually girls.....

DarkDream
07-05-2005, 12:13 AM
OH man i hate mosquitos.... I was playing football in a field and the place was swarming with them..... whenever i swat a group of mosquitos off my leg another group replaces them seconds after the first group..... I have like around 50 mosquito bites..... 25 on my legs alone and the rest on my upper body.....

P.S Those insect repellent sunscreen lotion DO NOT WORK!!!

TheXplosion
07-05-2005, 01:18 AM
do those mosquitos light things work, where the mosquitos flies towards it and it gets zaped?

$70 at home depot, havent tryed it but i think im going to get it...

Has anyone tryed one or any info on one.

Seanith
07-05-2005, 01:28 AM
i've seen a bug zapper in action before. it does work. i'd prefer one of those super mosquito killers that uses propane though lol

tapout
07-05-2005, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic
mmmmmmmmm i LOVE EM! :rofl:

Benny
07-05-2005, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by TheXplosion
do those mosquitos light things work, where the mosquitos flies towards it and it gets zaped?

$70 at home depot, havent tryed it but i think im going to get it...

Has anyone tryed one or any info on one.

I had one when I was younger. They work, but if you like to sit outside, it might not be the best choice. They kinda go, "zzzzzzzzzzzzz ZAPPPP zzzzzzzzzz CRACK BLAMMO zzzzzzz." That all happens while little bug bits are firing off into the night. Every once in a while a real big bastard of a bug will come along and all you'll hear will be, "zzzzz CRACK CRACK ZAP BLAMMO KABOOM sizzle." They take a little cookin' before they go down. :thumbsup: