PDA

View Full Version : ready to Roll at RACECITY. tire pressure for my integra?

GSR_aaron
06-30-2005, 06:47 PM
Finally decided to try Drag runs with my GSR, tomorrow.

got my own helmet at Canadian tire, too. :D

(BELL open face SNell m2000)

but I donno anything about drag race.. hmm..

launching? chrismas tree? what's that?

and how can i make my car do it's best? :confused:

(yeah.. may be I should try twenty,, thirty,, or hundreds of times to make good runs consistantly)

anyway, is it ok to leave some heavy stuffs like "temporary tire"?

and.. how much tire pressure would u recommend for my integra?

(may be 25 front, 35 rear??? :dunno: )

Actually I am a little bit afraid cuz my car seemed to has fuel pressure problem

(had two times of ignition failure symtoms in this month while electric parts are ok.)

but I can't wait anymore.. see you guys at RC, tomorrow.

AllGoNoShow
06-30-2005, 07:50 PM
tire pressures, if your having traction problems drop them 2-3 psi but don't go too low as those tires are street tires I am assuming, not ment to be sticky sticky at only 8-9 psi if you get what I am saying.

I take it your going to Secret Street Friday night, not somethign during the day. Basically once you see the SECOND yellow light, hit it, by the time your reactions hit you should have a good reaction time, if you go thrid light you wont be as fast off the line.

Launching? Don't spin, it slows you down, you ahve to let off to egt your traction back, taking more time, if your laucnhign to high and your spinning, next time launch lower so you dont spin, the point is to hookup and then nail it, not nail it not hook up and get a shitty time, which is what I ended up doing. If I nailed it with my car all I would do is spin spin spin, no good for 60' times or anything. The more you spin the slower you go basically.

GO SLOW ON RETURN ROAD, 30km/h is the speed limit, they will kick you out if they catch you going faster, there are normally kids handing out the slips don't speed, its pointless, it doesn't make you get in the line any faster and it ruins everyones night to see a kid get hit, slow the hell down. Even if some jackass is tailing you go the speed limit, he may get kicked out which makes racing and returning safer for everyone on the track.

Spare tire and such? It will make a little bit of difference but if its your first time out and your going to fun and to learn then I would leave them there for now, once you get into it seriously, you tell your buddy to brign hsi truck and take everything out before you run so you end up with a driver seat and thats it, but for your first time I would leave the stock stuff there. On the other hand, empty the car out of your crap :) Garbage? Take it out, basically nothing sitting there, I had a pack of kids food incase I got hungry, my booster cables even went into Logans car, don't bring anything with you when your racing, your helmet, registration, insurance, pants shoes etc.. is all you need, you dotn ened your walkman or magazines or shit like that.

I brought my camera but didn't even end up using it so just leave everything at home the first tiem, you will see what you need to bring when you come again.

Also.... don't forget, your not their to race the guy beside you unless its a buddy, your there to get some slips, have some fun, and go and try and beat YOUR best, not the GSR down in Florida's time, thats when you start screwing up, stressing out, breaking shit or breaking other peoples shit. Push to what you feel comfortable with, maybe a little further but not much, the point isn't to crash your car its to have fun and hang out with epople with the same interests as you.

AllGoNoShow
06-30-2005, 07:52 PM
Oh and I will dig up a link i was given on my first night out, helps you get past tech and learn about the track. Make sure your car is safe, the tech guys will also help you out, for example I changed 3-4 things before I went and was given another 3 thigns to change, they aren't doing it not to make you race they are doing it to make your car safe for you and the people who end up beside you.

AllGoNoShow
06-30-2005, 07:54 PM
http://www.calgarydragracing.ab.ca/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=printpage&artid=7

GSR_aaron
06-30-2005, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
don't forget, your not their to race the guy beside you unless its a buddy, your there to get some slips, have some fun, and go and try and beat YOUR best, not the GSR down in Florida's time, thats when you start screwing up, stressing out, breaking shit or breaking other peoples shit. Push to what you feel comfortable with, maybe a little further but not much, the point isn't to crash your car its to have fun and hang out with epople with the same interests as you.

soooo helpful !

thanks for your tips, man!!!

good tips for rookies like me.

I will remember that not to being mad/crazy/compete..

safe, fun and practice. :thumbsup:

AllGoNoShow
06-30-2005, 08:50 PM
No problem, let me know if you have any questions cause I might have the same ones and I know some guys off Pshop who are always willing to help me out at the track.

My first night racing was on the 24th so thats why I had so many tips for you, fresh in my mind.

gpomp
06-30-2005, 11:23 PM
launch between 3500 and 4000 for your gsr. slip the clutch, you should be seeing 2.4 or better 60' by the end of the night. i wouldn't be too surprised if you start off with 2.6-2.8. power shifting will take off a few tenths off your time depending on how fast you can shift.

euro_racer
06-30-2005, 11:36 PM
sorry, another rookie here.....what exactly is "power shifting"?

gpomp
06-30-2005, 11:38 PM
full throttle shifts

GSR_aaron
07-01-2005, 12:36 AM
shifting without gas pedal off..

I tried that several times but don't want to use that skill at 8200rpm. :drool:

Aleks
07-01-2005, 03:00 AM
I use power shifting. It can shave off .2s off your times :thumbsup: gotta be quick though. Practice makes perfect.

GSR_aaron
07-01-2005, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
I use power shifting. It can shave off .2s off your times :thumbsup: gotta be quick though. Practice makes perfect.

yeah- I am gonna try that then,,

after I get used to drag race.

(I hope my 11 year- old synchros can endure that hard skill)

BTW, your "13 second teg".. what a sweet words !

one of My friend so surprised with your time..

have a nice long weekend guys!

Darkane
07-01-2005, 12:40 PM
Also dont do a burn out with street tires and drive AROUND the water box so your tires dont get wet! have fun!

88CRX
07-01-2005, 01:39 PM
yea...... drive on the inside of the water pits... you dont need to waste rubber.

and also.... dont go with expectations..... you WILL run slow your first couple times out, it happens to all of us.

but dont worry, from what i've seen the last couple years most people run almost a full second slower there first few time out.

dj_honda
07-01-2005, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
and also.... dont go with expectations..... you WILL run slow your first couple times out, it happens to all of us.

but dont worry, from what i've seen the last couple years most people run almost a full second slower there first few time out.

yea...i remember when you were saying your ZC crx was gonna run 15's!!! haha, whatever, everyone is always over-optimistic.:D :thumbsup:

88CRX
07-01-2005, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by dj_honda

yea...i remember when you were saying your ZC crx was gonna run 15's!!! haha, whatever, everyone is always over-optimistic.:D :thumbsup:

and i barely broke into the 16's :rofl:

in my defence, i never actually ran it with the i/h/e and it is was fast then the ep3 is now, and it ran 16.6 :dunno: :D

gpomp
07-01-2005, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by dj_honda

not everyone. just the uninformed :D
i predicted a 14.9 for the d15 and ran a 14.8 :burnout:

AllGoNoShow
07-01-2005, 03:22 PM
Yah don't be too optomistic.

My first night out I was expecting some better 3's, first run was a slow ass 17.3, 5 runs later I had her down to 16.1. The guy I bought it off of had it at 14.4. Later did I realise some things I had to change and do different which will get me some better ET's more of what I was expecting.

So once she's dyno tuned, shift kit isntalled possibly unless I hunt down a different one, then goto the track a few more times, I will be expecting some better times.

tt398
07-24-2005, 12:01 PM
Buy a Moroso tire gauge and a tire pyrometer at a speed
Buy an air cylinder at Canadian tire or Princess Auto. Fill it up with the maximum pressure of air it can handle. This will serve as your air source to top up you tires at the track.

Do a few laps or drag runs at the track with the tires inflated at thier nominal street pressure.

Get out of the car immediately after the laps or runs and measure the tire temperatures across the complete tread face of each tire. (meausre every 1/2 inch or so) Record them in a notebook. You will see a temperature pattern on each tire.

Remember the part of the tire that is in contact with the track the most will have the highest temperature.
If your tires are over-inflated, the center of the tire tread will be hottest - if they are under-inflated the the outsides of the tire tread will be hottest.

Any other temerature differential patterns on the tires indicate alignment that is not optimal for the type of racing you are doing. There are a few books (H-P books publishes them - authors Fred Puhn and Carroll Smith if my old-age memory still works - LOL) on this subject - I suggest you read them.

The short answer is that there is no single "magic tire pressure" to use - it varies from track to track, driving style to driving style and weather conditions when you are driving. The only good answer is to buy the equipment and learn the technique.

Hope this helps somewhat. :burnout: