PDA

View Full Version : How's Smuggler's Inn? Dining there tommorow!

GucciBoy
07-01-2005, 04:33 PM
I've always been wanting to eat there, finally will get to tommorow. I will be sure to follow this post up with a review, in the meantime would love to hear others thoughts and feedback. I thought they had an all you can eat at night, but I guess that only applies to "all you can eat soup and salads" .
:thumbsup:

88CRX
07-01-2005, 04:36 PM
baby back ribs :drool:

GucciBoy
07-01-2005, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
baby back ribs :drool:

haha yip - Im dying to see what their menu is like. Too bad they dont have it online.

kaput
07-01-2005, 04:59 PM

t-im
07-01-2005, 05:09 PM
It was good 10 years ago and slowly went downhill. But the salad bar is good

MrPid
07-01-2005, 05:11 PM
Their specialty is prime rib...always been excellent every time I had it there. I've never had anything other than prime rib there but last time my wife had the chicken and said it sucked...

Guess I'll still stick to the prime rib... :)

Celica TVS3
07-01-2005, 05:19 PM
It's been going down hill lately but overall its still pretty good.

Let us know how it goes.

GucciBoy
07-01-2005, 05:26 PM
^ thanks :). wonder why its been goign downhill. I was hoping for a smorgosboard but meh thats alright lol. Im looking forward to it.

I prefer the dark atmosphere, much more relaxing and suddle than bright lights and open windows.

frozenrice
07-01-2005, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by kaput
It's also very dark inside, the atmosphere is something that you'll probably also love or hate.

It's probably dark in there for a reason (probably not for atmosphere). The food is above average to good. If you're trying to dine on the cheap, order the burger (it's chopped up leftover prime rib) and it comes with the all you can eat salad bar for about $9.00 if you get just the salad bar alone its like $8 or something.

Davetronz
07-01-2005, 05:40 PM
Yea its a pretty good place.
Dark inside with "orange" lights...
I think they keep the lights pretty low cus its an old place...
The food is always pretty good. I enjoy the salad bar and that always seems pretty fresh.
If you are making reservations and dont like the dark/orange lighting you can ask for a table up front in the main restaurant by a window.

EK 2.0
07-01-2005, 05:45 PM
:hijack: aarrrrggghhhhh the decor is right up me alley. But then's I's be a Pirate...

but the food is yum, yum, yum, and a bottle of rum.

Seanith
07-01-2005, 06:25 PM
I really like smugglers. I'd say its my favourite restaurant arrrrrrghh!

Phy
07-01-2005, 07:24 PM
The prime rib's great, the steak's pretty good too. The decor hasn't changed since the 70's. It was really dark in there back then, too, apparently. The high-backed "throne" chairs look boss, if you're into weird and tacky like I am, but they ain't so comfortable.

But yeah, it's pretty much a beef house. Order fish at a fish place, chicken at a chicken place, and beef at a beef place, and you will not go far wrong.

samo147
07-01-2005, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Phy

But yeah, it's pretty much a beef house. Order fish at a fish place, chicken at a chicken place, and beef at a beef place, and you will not go far wrong.

HAHa thanks for the advice in the future

DarkDream
07-02-2005, 01:53 AM
I personally don't really like the lighting i always get tired when i am in there due to the dark lighting and the nice big comfortable chairs.......:D

szw
07-02-2005, 04:06 AM
the chicken is cheap and pretty good also.

GTS Jeff
07-02-2005, 09:48 AM
First off, Smuggler's Inn has not "gone downhill" like some people will tell you. People just like saying that shit because it's the thing to say about any place that been around for a long time and hasn't changed at all.

Second, you are only asking for trouble if you order anything but prime rib. The prime rib there has always been amazing, year after year. If you're a lightweight, and I'm guessing you are from all your sissy posts, get the prime rib sandwich, which is 8 oz and the right size for you. For your company, they have everything ranging from 12oz to 20oz of pure beef awesomeness. I wouldn't recommend anything but the prime rib.

Third, who gives a shit about the atmosphere. You're there for the beef. If you want to be a pretentious high-lifer, go to Teatro's and enjoy your $200 bowl of spit soup.

PS. Do a search, ya sissy newbie. http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37354&

civic_stylez
07-02-2005, 10:45 AM
The ribs on the appetizer menu=:drool: :drool: smugglers food is good but if you want a really good steak i usually pop a few doors down and hit up the keg.

badseed
07-02-2005, 11:32 AM
The first time I ate at Smugglers was the last time I ate at Smugglers............it was that poor.:thumbsdow

Def_3
07-02-2005, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by t-im
It was good 10 years ago and slowly went downhill. But the salad bar is good that exactly what I think, though I havent been in 6 months or so, their steak was amazing back in the day

Celica TVS3
07-02-2005, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
First off, Smuggler's Inn has not "gone downhill" like some people will tell you. People just like saying that shit because it's the thing to say about any place that been around for a long time and hasn't changed at all.http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37354&

I eat there alot- and continue to, I can tell you the service isn't as good as it used to be and the prime rib seems to be of lesser quality - tougher, more grizzle...

I'm not saying its bad, it's just starting to slide.

AND The new horse radish is weak...

For a few dollars more try Ceasers Steakhouse down the street, you don't get the salad bar but you do get a salad and a potatoe, vegtables... included with your meat. The meat and service are top notch .

Seanith
07-02-2005, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Celica TVS3

For a few dollars more try Ceasers Steakhouse down the street, you don't get the salad bar but you do get a salad and a potatoe, vegtables... included with your meat. The meat and service are top notch .

Fuck Caesars.. I went there and that shit totally broke the bank. They charged me $16 to upgrade from garden salads to caesar salads. the asshole was impossible to understand as well.

Celica TVS3
07-02-2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Seanith

They charged me $16 to upgrade from garden salads to caesar salads.

I find that hard to belive.

kiwi
07-02-2005, 12:17 PM
I love their steak soup, but some people might find it a bit too salty...

I like Smugglar's Inn... but I have yet to try their sunday brunch though...

BebeAphrodite
07-02-2005, 01:07 PM
I've never enjoyed smuggler's prime rib. The prime ribs that I thought were tasty were the ones at Cattle Baron and Hys.
Does Caesars even have prime rib? I was there a couple of weeks ago and I could have sworn that it wasn't on the menu.
Ooo and I thought the Keg prime rib was pretty bad and Tuckers had okay tasting PR.

Hakkola
07-02-2005, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by badseed
The first time I ate at Smugglers was the last time I ate at Smugglers............it was that poor.:thumbsdow

:werd: I haven't been there in years, I HATED it the first time I went, it was also the last time I went.

Maybe one day I'll try it again.

Make up your mind for yourself though, everyone has their own opinion, it might lick hairy goat balls, but some might enjoy it.

Seanith
07-02-2005, 03:51 PM

I find that hard to belive.

Believe it man.
We didn't want garden salads so I asked if we could get Caesar salads instead. The guy mumbled and charged us for two "Caesar size" Caesar salads for $8 each which wasn't what i fucking wanted at all. What a stupid dink. You can't exactly just raise a stink in a restaurant like that. Especially if you can only understand every second word the guy mumbles. Never again! :thumbsdow

69cougar
07-02-2005, 04:07 PM
I always heard that Smugglers had hidden passeges. Anyone ever find any??

GTS Jeff
07-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by kiwi
I love their steak soup, but some people might find it a bit too salty...

I like Smugglar's Inn... but I have yet to try their sunday brunch though... Hehehe I like the steak soup too...but then again I looooove gravy.

Weapon_R
07-02-2005, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Seanith

Fuck Caesars.. I went there and that shit totally broke the bank. They charged me $16 to upgrade from garden salads to caesar salads. the asshole was impossible to understand as well.

Did you get that older Greek guy waiter?? LOL he really is impossible to understand. After all the hype, I went there and found that their cuts were okay, but nothing you couldn't get anywhere else (ie the keg). Maybe they didn't like us, maybe it was a bad day, but for a total bill of $160 for 2, it wasn't worth it at all! Never again either

GucciBoy
07-02-2005, 10:29 PM
uhhh, just got back. What a huge major utter dissapointment.

Party of 7, everyones meat was bland and dry. Mine was so dry it tasted like saw dust, couldnt even pick it up with a fork since it just broke into crumbs. Prime rib crumbs mmmm - so requested another one. Waited 25mins! It was alot better though - still doesnt warrant the price and trip there. The wild rice was pretty disgusting, didnt finish that. Tasted like a piece of tree bark.

Service wise, nothing out of this world, but nothing terrible.

Atmosphere - 4/5
Dark, I like it, very relaxing, but too dark at the main entrance, almost like you are walking into a dungeon.

Food - 0/5
Terrible, flat out terrible. Dry like sawdust, no flavour, bland as can be, very poor boring presentation. Half of the food in the salad bar was mediocre to almost being stail. Killer acid pineapple, funny tasting cantelope, rock hard honeydew, soggy lettuce - mmmmmmm yum yum!

Service - 3/5
Again, not horrific, but nothing to brag about.

Go back again? hell no!

Seanith
07-02-2005, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Did you get that older Greek guy waiter?? LOL he really is impossible to understand. After all the hype, I went there and found that their cuts were okay, but nothing you couldn't get anywhere else (ie the keg). Maybe they didn't like us, maybe it was a bad day, but for a total bill of $160 for 2, it wasn't worth it at all! Never again either

Haha we both got hosed by the same guy :banghead: I agree for the price you can easily get as good a steak at a place like the keg or smugglers for a reasonable price.

GucciBoy
07-02-2005, 11:14 PM
One thing Ive noticed, and we all noticed for that matter was the odd texture of the prime rib at Smugglers. It has a very wierd texture, too rubbery like as if the cuts have been made well in advance just packaged in the freezer individually and thrown on the fire and drenched with KFC like microwaved gravy.

We'll never be going back. The place has been going downhill? LOL I cant wait to see what their food will be like when they reach the bottom. Cant get any worse. We could have gotten better prime rib at the local 24 hour truck stop.

And their washrooms are pretty filthy - thought i was in a nightclub for a second there :dunno:

88CRX
07-02-2005, 11:26 PM
i told you.... baby back ribs.

they're to die for :thumbsup:

GucciBoy
07-02-2005, 11:50 PM
this place needs to incorporate two things into their kitchen - herbs and a chef!

GucciBoy
07-02-2005, 11:56 PM

I can tell you the service isn't as good as it used to be and the prime rib seems to be of lesser quality - tougher, more grizzle...

I agree with you. Service was mediocre at best, not much difference than dining at Humptys. Prime rib tasted like chewing on a rubber hose, way too elasticky and artificial aka. Arbys like. Some people could very well mistaken their meats texture for the fat.

Phy
07-03-2005, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by 69cougar
I always heard that Smugglers had hidden passeges. Anyone ever find any??

If yuo ever find yourself crawling up the back passage, keep it to yourself, k? ;).