PDA

View Full Version : daytime running lights

theken
07-02-2005, 06:11 PM
hey i was wondering where and how much it would cost to install daytime running lights on a 300zx tt

EK 2.0
07-02-2005, 06:22 PM
I am assuming this is for the JDM one you are bringing in...

if so, you might be able to hit up Nissan, or a wrecker for the DRL Relay that SHOULD plug in and give you daytime running lights...otherwise you wire the headlights into an ignition source...and BAM you are good to go...

theken
07-02-2005, 08:10 PM
yeah it is in my backyard but because of the whle 90 thing it need daytime running lights, i dont think there is too may at the wreckers :(

EK 2.0
07-02-2005, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by theken
yeah it is in my backyard but because of the whle 90 thing it need daytime running lights, i dont think there is too may at the wreckers :(

what you could try is this.

Call up Nissan and get the part number, or look online. I will bet that Nissan used the same relay for a lot of applications not JUST the Z32...so you can find out what other is might be in, Pulsars, Sentras whatever and grab one from those cars...

CRXguy
07-03-2005, 09:34 AM
does it have to be an oem part? i've seen partsource carry the complete kit so you might want to check that out.

Maxt
07-03-2005, 09:59 AM
Yeah, there those cheesey DRL kits that are like 29 bucks, that will give you the wiring you need to rig up if the car doesnt have it existing..

calgarys13
07-03-2005, 12:27 PM
just wire up your foglights to always be on when the ignition is on

BokCh0y
07-03-2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by calgarys13

:werd:

that is probably the easiest.

i thought the daytime running lights being made mandatory for 1990 and on only applies to the manufacturers of the vehicles. So when you bring over a JDM vehicle even though it wasn't a standard there you still have to install them on your vehicle to comply with the canadian standards? If this is so, is it for registration or something or what? I've seen some friends actually disable the daytime running lights like on their Nissan Pulsar or Corolla GTS (this was a while ago) and they've never been questioned from the police when they got pulled over or when they registered and insured the vehicle!?!

Not sure why you would need the daytime running lights on your 300.

CryoCarnage
07-03-2005, 05:39 PM
on a side notes, do Flip light cars need daytime running lights?

EK 2.0
07-03-2005, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by CryoCarnage
on a side notes, do Flip light cars need daytime running lights?

yes, you will notice most pop-up headlight equipped vehicles have either fog lights, driving lights, or the parking lights (GM Vehicles) as DRL's

or in the cases of the FC RX7 or the 1G A DSM's they have clear sections on the light to emit light when the lights are flipped down...

theken
07-03-2005, 07:17 PM
yeah apparently even though they were not made with running lights according to canadian standards we need them

Xtrema
07-03-2005, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by calgarys13

This is your best bet, cheapest option.

garyb
07-03-2005, 10:41 PM
my ...car didn't come with running light and its a 95, i was fine, no one asked anything

CryoCarnage
07-03-2005, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

yes, you will notice most pop-up headlight equipped vehicles have either fog lights, driving lights, or the parking lights (GM Vehicles) as DRL's

or in the cases of the FC RX7 or the 1G A DSM's they have clear sections on the light to emit light when the lights are flipped down... \
Oh thats goood news. When i buy the MKIII supra, at least i wont have to deal with these headaches. Fog lights are my saviors :D

EK 2.0
07-03-2005, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by CryoCarnage
\
Oh thats goood news. When i buy the MKIII supra, at least i wont have to deal with these headaches. Fog lights are my saviors :D

yeah, you will notice the 89 MA's had nothing even though Turbo Models had fogs...but in 90 they made them DRL's. Although retrofitting the wiring it not a hard task at all...

chris
07-03-2005, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by theken
yeah apparently even though they were not made with running lights according to canadian standards we need them
who ever told you that is an idiot, you don't need to modify your car to have drl's, my silvia doesnt have drl's and it's a 90, it passed inspection no problem

PiePowered
07-04-2005, 08:37 AM
Are you sure daytime running lights aren't required for JDM vehicles?

BokCh0y
07-04-2005, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by chris

who ever told you that is an idiot, you don't need to modify your car to have drl's, my silvia doesnt have drl's and it's a 90, it passed inspection no problem

that is also what i heard. from what i understand is that it is only standard for the car manufacturers when they produce the vehicle but this is only for markerts such as the canadian market. other than that there shouldn't be any problems for people that have jdm's to pass inspection regardless whether they have the daytime running lights or not.

heavyD
07-04-2005, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by chris

Funny my Eclipse required daytime running lights as well as a child seat harness attachement.:rolleyes:

PiePowered
07-04-2005, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

Funny my Eclipse required daytime running lights as well as a child seat harness attachement.:rolleyes:

Is your Eclipse Imported, JDM?

EK 2.0
07-04-2005, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by PiePowered
Is your Eclipse Imported, JDM?

Imported yes, JDM no...it was originally a U.S. Car.

finboy
07-04-2005, 11:57 AM
okay, daytime running lights were not manditory in canada until 1991 i believe, which is why if you have a 1990 civic for example, you will pass w/o daytime running lights, where the car comes from doesn't matter, the year of it does.

if you just want to pass it so the idiot tech who is doing your inspection doesn't hassle you, then just rig up your fog lights temporarily and rip it out after, or just go find someone else.

ryder_23
07-04-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by BokCh0y
I've seen some friends actually disable the daytime running lights like on their Nissan Pulsar or Corolla GTS (this was a while ago) and they've never been questioned from the police when they got pulled over or when they registered and insured the vehicle!?!

Police wont question you. I havnt had DRL on my car for over a year and havnt had any problems what so ever.

Originally posted by garyb
my ...car didn't come with running light and its a 95, i was fine, no one asked anything

Its either disabled, not working properly, or a US car that didnt need them when inspected :dunno:

JAYMEZ
07-04-2005, 01:58 PM
My car is from the US and needed DLs installed.