PDA

View Full Version : Need educated opinion/comments

schurchill39
07-02-2005, 09:45 PM
As most of you all know I was recently in an accident which really screwed up my back quater panel(and front suspension) on my 1989 nissan 240sx. Everything is almost settled with him 100% at fault and my car is going to get fixed. I already got an estimate from the body shop and it is 2800-3000 just to fix the back quater panel. I have a couple of options, the normal way then my idea

1. Get the quater panel fixed back to normal by the body shop.
2. (my idea) Take the 3grand for the repair and buy widebody over fenders for the back for aprox $600 give or take a bit. Pound out the back quater panel best i can with a friend of mine and install the overfenders myself, do the body work myself, and just get the body shop to paint it. The ups to that would be i would have it fixed for cheeper and it would look better IMO. The downs are that i dont even know this is possible to do money wise from insurance.
http://198.65.10.83/images/upload/s13aero/s13msportsrear.bmp

There is a poll above so please vote then leave your comments. Keep negative/flamming comments to yourselves (you know who you are) but PRODUCTIVE critisim is welcome. Like i said i dont even know if this would be possible.

EDIT: This poll is more towards wether or not it would be possible to do with the insurance money etc. Your opinion on wether or not it would look good is welcome too but please if you dont think it would look good but you think it would be possible, choose the Yes it is possible but dont do it option

finboy
07-02-2005, 09:55 PM
its already a twisted up car, it couldn't get any worse :dunno:

ninjak84
07-02-2005, 10:01 PM
So you want to put wide fenders on just the rear?
And do the work yourself?

No way. I think that will look very ugly. My vote is leave it stock.

Team_Mclaren
07-02-2005, 10:04 PM
wouldn't it look retarded to have wide fenders just at the back???:barf:

edit: ^^ what he said:werd:

schurchill39
07-02-2005, 10:10 PM
i thought it would look gross at first (when i was looking at alternate routes to just getting it back to normal) but they have them on a car down at auto dream and it actually looks really good beacuse its jsut suttle, its only a 30mm-50mm bigger. My question was actually more towards would it be possible insurance and money wise just to save myself some money. The rest of the money (probly only like 1g would be left after paint etc) woud go into upgrading the broken suspension.

Team_Mclaren
07-02-2005, 10:15 PM
of course if you can do the body work yourself, you will save money. Do you have any experiment doing body work? know anyone who does and willing to help? It's a risk that you have to take doing something completely new. If it works out then yes it will save you money but if not then you'll probably have to put more into getting it fix.

dymz999
07-02-2005, 10:33 PM
honestly i've only seen the wide fenders on cars with S15 conversions and thats because the S15 is wider overall and its done to make the rest of the car in line. Stick with the stock, pricy body work...

projectsilvia
07-03-2005, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by schurchill39
As most of you all know I was recently in an accident which really screwed up my back quater panel(and front suspension) on my 1989 nissan 240sx. Everything is almost settled with him 100% at fault and my car is going to get fixed. I already got an estimate from the body shop and it is 2800-3000 just to fix the back quater panel. I have a couple of options, the normal way then my idea

1. Get the quater panel fixed back to normal by the body shop.
2. (my idea) Take the 3grand for the repair and buy widebody over fenders for the back for aprox $600 give or take a bit. Pound out the back quater panel best i can with a friend of mine and install the overfenders myself, do the body work myself, and just get the body shop to paint it. The ups to that would be i would have it fixed for cheeper and it would look better IMO. The downs are that i dont even know this is possible to do money wise from insurance.
http://198.65.10.83/images/upload/s13aero/s13msportsrear.bmp

There is a poll above so please vote then leave your comments. Keep negative/flamming comments to yourselves (you know who you are) but PRODUCTIVE critisim is welcome. Like i said i dont even know if this would be possible.

EDIT: This poll is more towards wether or not it would be possible to do with the insurance money etc. Your opinion on wether or not it would look good is welcome too but please if you dont think it would look good but you think it would be possible, choose the Yes it is possible but dont do it option

Do you have pictures of your ride? I may help paint a better picture of what is involved.

schurchill39
07-03-2005, 10:16 PM
Its a stock (for now) black 1989 240sx, just like any other stock black 1989 240sx

braden883314
07-04-2005, 12:12 AM
Keep it stock for sure, with fender flares u should be looking at getting wider wheels, its ussally the purpose of them.

~Braden

Xtrema
07-04-2005, 08:32 AM
Stay away if you ain't already a pro. And if you're a pro, you won't be asking this quesion in the first place.

See if you can work with the body shop to strike a deal. With you paying on top.

But few will do it due to complications.