PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: snowboarders

Dave P
01-22-2003, 03:16 PM
So i am gonna try snowboarding for the first time soon, and i had a question.

How long should my borad be? My sisters is right at my chin when i put it standing beside me. Can i get away with riding a board that size?
is it to short?

What are the disadvantages/advantages to having a shortter board?

Thanks for any help

DAVE P

MYKN
01-22-2003, 03:28 PM
That board should be a good length for you. See im around 5'9-5-10 and my board is159-161 cm. Really it doesnt matter what board lenght you use since lots of the good boarders with use a shorter lenght board for more control, espcially if they're piping. So a shorter board gives you more control. Your ride may be a bit chopper since you have not done it before but with the shorter board you should be able to pick up carving alot quicker.

bosa
01-22-2003, 04:22 PM
Your board should be to the tip of your nose. I'm pretty sure that's right.

RX-7_TWINTURBO
01-22-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by civicLVR
Your board should be to the tip of your nose. I'm pretty sure that's right.
for normal Resort riding it should be in between your chin and nose
i have a Pipe board and it comes up to my chin

Ben
01-22-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by RX-7_TWINTURBO

for normal Resort riding it should be in between your chin and nose
i have a Pipe board and it comes up to my chin

Good start height for sure. Dont go out and get the best board either...if its too stiff, it will slam you on your ass cause its too stiff to forgive your newbie fuck ups!

Luke 96 T/A
01-22-2003, 05:05 PM
Check the manufacturers recommendation..
it's more based on your weight, than your height..
you want good flex..
roughly it should be around your chin/mouth...

GTS Jeff
01-22-2003, 05:58 PM
i recommend a board as tall as u and wide as possible for intense speeds and the ability to fly over the softest of powder.

SI-vic
01-23-2003, 03:43 AM
Long Board - More Speed less control
Short Board - More Control less speed
For a beginner I'd go with a short board for sure or else you'll wipe out everytime.

Board should be up to yur chin - yur nose....

Lo)2enz0
01-23-2003, 05:03 PM
if its your first time I highly suggest a shorter board. I have a 158 and 162 and I find it alot easyier to controll my 158 but the 162 I can go alot faster on. And remember when your riding turn with your heels and toes. shifting your weight to turn ussually ends up with you lossing controll and breaking something (thats why alot of begginners break something).

Laurier

DieselBoy03
01-24-2003, 02:37 PM
True the board should be between you chin and you nose, and yes the shorter, the more control you have. Definitly take advice from someone who knows their stuff, never ride a board thats your height, unless your doing GS!!!!:thumbsup:

Ben
01-24-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by DieselBoy03
True the board should be between you chin and you nose, and yes the shorter, the more control you have. Definitly take advice from someone who knows their stuff, never ride a board thats your height, unless your doing GS!!!!:thumbsup:

Back in the day when I was in the Ski/Board industry, kids would come rushing in with grandmas money and say "I want THAT one" the best board on the wall and they havent even been on the snow with one. Buying the best board on the market is in most cases a mistake, because it is just not forgiving enough, so for those of you who always have to have the best, its far to stiff torsionally to accomodate any loss of balance and catching your edge.. You catch an edge on a pro board an its gonna own you nice and good....Skiing is a sport where not having the best is acceptable and in some cases respected, this goes the same with skiis and boots also. Putting a newbie into Super G boots is gonna mess them up nice and good

DieselBoy03
01-24-2003, 02:58 PM
thats so true, ppl go into these stores wanting to buy the board that looks the best, or the brand name. They don't understand the construction of these boards at all, they just think "burton, well that has to be the best one to get". Not cusing burton at all, but ppl look pass the names!!!:Dunno:

GTS Jeff
01-24-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Benny
Putting a newbie into Super G boots is gonna mess them up nice and good thats me haha

CLiVE
01-24-2003, 05:57 PM
yup, between your chin, and your nose...

I ride a 158, and I'm 6'0. Prefer to ride a shorter board myself, for overall cruising/pipe, etc.

Ben
01-24-2003, 06:02 PM
I ride a 157 and I'm 6' also.

And I have 180cm skis

RX-7_TWINTURBO
01-24-2003, 08:37 PM
Burton Balance 156 ..and im 5'10 - 5'11

MaYzE
01-24-2003, 08:51 PM
I ride a 160cm. Im 6'0. Pretty wide too. Im gonna get a 155 next I think. Shorter boards seem better for jumps.