PDA

View Full Version : courtesy lights problem

91sw20
07-03-2005, 05:24 PM
hi guys,

i'm having a problem with the courtesy lights on my 91T, and was wondering if anyone had a similar experience, or any idea how to troubleshoot, or where to start looking.

when i first got the car, the courtesy lights (the red ones on doors), and the dome lights would come on, and then dim down gradually when the doors are closed.

this afternoon, i noticed none of the lights came on when the door was opened (neither the door ones, nor the dome lights). obviously i checked the switch to make sure it was in DOOR position, and it was. i tried the manual dome light switches up top and both dome lights would come on.

i played around with the door again, and i noticed that sometimes i would see the courtesy lights and domelights come on, but then dim down very quickly, almost like a blip of light.

right now, i just don't know where to start troubleshooting.

thanks in advanced.

FiveFreshFish
07-03-2005, 05:34 PM
Try looking at the door trip switch.

Does this happen with the passenger door too?

EK 2.0
07-03-2005, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Try looking at the door trip switch.

Does this happen with the passenger door too?

:werd:

switch contacts sounds like your issue. Pull them off and clean out any oxydation that will be on them. Unfortunately for out climate and conditions door pin switches take a LOT of abuse...and subsequently do stop working, or will work intermittently as time goes on.

91sw20
07-03-2005, 06:45 PM
yeah, opening the driver side and passenger side doors have the same problem.

but i'll have a look at the door trip switch and see what happens.

thanks for the replies!

91sw20
07-03-2005, 06:51 PM
Hi guys, I thought I'd come back and post the results...

turns out you guys were totally correct, BOTH the driver and passenger switch were stuck. I cleaned it up and it works beautifully now.