PDA

View Full Version : Help with gross squeal

TaiChino
07-04-2005, 07:01 AM
So I have a belt (I think) squealing when I'm idling, as soon as I rev the motor at all it stops. Any ideas?

ZMan2k2
07-04-2005, 07:57 AM
Check your power steering fluid level, and tighten up your alternator belt.

QuasarCav
07-04-2005, 08:26 AM
It might be a little tricky but you will need to adjust the alt. belt.

Find a long piece of metal of a crowbar that you can get behind the alternator and remove the lower bolt. Yank on the crowbar and hold it there and tighten the bolt. The belt should deflect no more than half an inch.

bonnieclyde240
07-04-2005, 09:40 AM
Inspect the belts for any signs of loose slips, grease/oil, other engine fluids, rubber wear off/build up on the pulley, no tension, misalignment, worn pulleys, cracks, etc, this may mean you have to get a new belt.

Check belt tension & adjust on a regular basis. Too tight = bearing & engine wear. Too loose = slip & squealing

Drive belts are necessary to operate the components attached to the engine, (alternator, power steering pump, air conditioner compressor and the water pump) so make sure you check that out.

EK 2.0
07-04-2005, 10:00 AM
and if for whatever reason you cannot adjust it...and need to wait till you see a mechanic. A trick a frind taught me is to run a dab of vaseline on the belt. It will quiet it down and is far less messy and greasy than those commercially avaialble belt dressings.

TaiChino
07-04-2005, 03:40 PM
Awesome, thanks for the input! :thumbsup: