PDA

View Full Version : problems with car sale.

MooseJawian
07-04-2005, 06:49 PM
i sold my car 3 weeks ago, and now the buyer called me and claimed there was problems with the car, and she wanna return it.she said she said my sunroof is leaking and some parts of the car is wet blah blah, but my sunroof never leak at all.wut should i do?i swear to god there was no such problem when i owned the car.

rinny
07-04-2005, 06:53 PM
fuck em, if the bill says sold as is fuck her

not your fault, no need to be burdened

mac_82
07-04-2005, 06:54 PM
in my opinion she bought it so tough luck. just like anything mechanical, get the car inspected before you buy, dont complain to the seller if something goes wrong. plus something could have happened to the car in the 3 weeks that she had it. final sale.

MooseJawian
07-04-2005, 07:00 PM
legally, can she get me into shit?

Kobe
07-04-2005, 07:02 PM
no..

duffspec
07-04-2005, 07:35 PM
Hahahahah....tell her you have had no prolems and that anything can happen to the car,when she has had it for three weeks. She is stupid..........if she persist tell her you will put a restraining order on her. :rofl:

FiveFreshFish
07-04-2005, 07:46 PM
Even if the bill of sales doesn't say "AS IS" I don't think she has much of an argument unless you specifically guaranteed in writing that there's absolutely nothing wrong.

Reminder to self: Next used car I buy, take it to a touchless car wash after the mechanical inspection. No other way to see if there are leaks.

schurchill39
07-04-2005, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by MooseJawian

Hmm i do belive that if the damage/repair of the vehicle exceeds 2000 then yes but if its just a leek then fat chance

Weapon_R
07-04-2005, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by MooseJawian

Not unless you knew about the problem prior to selling it, didn't disclose it, and she can prove all of that ;)

dymz999
07-04-2005, 09:21 PM
The only real way you can seriously get into trouble selling used cars is if and when you touch the odometer. Besides that when you sell a used vehicle it is always buyer beware and people should always have a pre-purchase inspection done. Even if she took you to small claims court I couldn't realistically see any judge awarding her any punitive damages.

In this case she would physically need to proove that you knowingly damaged that specific part of the car then hid it up and didn't say nothing. she'd also need to provide proof that she didn't damage the vehicle herself.

To put it short, don't worry she can't do nothing but try to harass you and if she keeps that up just call the police and file a complaint and she'll go away.

crazytou
07-04-2005, 11:36 PM
Umm i'm sorry but once i had a bad time with a buyer and on the bill of sale it said sold as is...well after going to court i lost the case and got the car back and had to pay all the court costs. This was all over the transmission failing. after 6 months. so these guys on here saying she cant do anything is crap. look do this talk to the lady and come to aggrment like ill pay half for a car detail and new weather stripping on the sunroof...something like that...if she doesn't like that then yes proceed to court....

tapout
07-05-2005, 12:42 AM
is she on crack?:rofl: there is stuff called weatherstrip & automotive repair shops. nothing is built to last everything wears out

3G
07-05-2005, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by crazytou
Umm i'm sorry but once i had a bad time with a buyer and on the bill of sale it said sold as is...well after going to court i lost the case and got the car back and had to pay all the court costs. This was all over the transmission failing. after 6 months. so these guys on here saying she cant do anything is crap. look do this talk to the lady and come to aggrment like ill pay half for a car detail and new weather stripping on the sunroof...something like that...if she doesn't like that then yes proceed to court....

I don't know how you lost hmm, but a tranny is a major part of a vehicle whereas a sunroof isn't

MrPid
07-05-2005, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by crazytou

There must be more to this story...

HTN SWCHS
07-05-2005, 01:33 AM
actually this guy i know has the same problem, when this lady bought his accord, she thought it would need 90 dollar fix but crappy tire flipped her a 900 dollar bill. then she came back to him claiming frame damage, (the crappy tire mechanic said there was frame damage too on the work order the second time they came it) the inspection he got a month ago said no such thing, shes threatened to take it to small claims

MrPid
07-05-2005, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by HTN SWCHS
actually this guy i know has the same problem, when this lady bought his accord, she thought it would need 90 dollar fix but crappy tire flipped her a 900 dollar bill. then she came back to him claiming frame damage, (the crappy tire mechanic said there was frame damage too on the work order the second time they came it) the inspection he got a month ago said no such thing, shes threatened to take it to small claims

Still not likely to get anywhere. Not surprising that she would threaten - after all, she's getting her pointers from a crappy tire employee who in all likelihood isn't even a licensed mechanic.

Unless warranty is clearly a condition of the sale or the condition of the car is pivotal to the sale and stated, then "as is" and the principal of "caveat emptor" (buyer beware) applies whether stated or not. An unstated condition or warranty is unenforceable because there is no clear determination of consideration (what the seller gets in exchange for it) for the terms of the warranty or condition and wherein it's boundaries lie.

The courts may intervene though if there is a determination of fraud though. That's another matter.

I don't think your friend should worry at all. Let her go to small claims if she wants and make sure he counters for costs and other damages.

fachie
07-05-2005, 12:31 PM
"as is" does not actually do any thing in the car business. I would tell her to leave you alone...

dymz999
07-05-2005, 07:06 PM
your right but in the car business the only way anything legal ever happens is if somebody does something illegal and in the car business that is just fraud. Some used car shops hide things up and do cheap fixed and things like this to make a look worth more than it is. The only thing illegal seriously would be touching the odometer. Other than that you would have to do something very serious to the car to cause injury and/or death. In this case people need to have factual proof of wrongdoing which is pretty much impossible when it comes to used cars, new cars yes, used not so much.

awd
07-05-2005, 07:09 PM
"Buyer Beware" -- tell her to stop calling you, if she continues threaten her with a restraining order.

A790
07-05-2005, 08:00 PM
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, that's for sure.

dymz999
07-05-2005, 09:29 PM
Dont' threaten her with a restraining order, thats just lame. Just tell her these words ok, exactly like this:

"If you do not stop calling me I will place a complaint with the Police and request that you be arrested for harassment"

They wouldn't arrest her, but they sure would show up on her door step and tell her to stop it or the next time they will. This type of activity of harassing you is actually criminal, but she'd need to continue harassing you multiple times after being warned!!

As for the car, tell her to suck it up. Cars and I mean any car will break down and need repairs of various sorts, people should expect this when they buy or receive any vehicle, new or used!

HTN SWCHS
07-06-2005, 12:29 AM
i guess it was idle threats, she was being a bitch, harrassing him and all, and even came to his doorstep where his dad told her to fuck off, she sent a letter 3 weeks ago that if she doesnt hear from him in the next 2 days she will sue, thats the last he heard of her

ringmaster
07-07-2005, 12:06 AM
put it this way to her:
"if you dont want it, why would I??"
"obviously things went wrong with it when YOU owned it so you can fuck off and never contact me again"

xtreme prelude
07-08-2005, 01:43 PM
i bought a car and had to put 4500.00 in repairs within a month. lawyer said i could sue, i had six years to do so, but whats the point, its already fixed , im a little poorer and wiser, and life goes on. what did she expect, a new car for a used price?

people are always looking to fuck somebody out of something, and it just keeps getting worse. we need more RESPECT for one another.

just my 2 cents