PDA

View Full Version : Ticket/Demerit/Insurance Questions

lay318
07-05-2005, 10:09 PM
Hey everyone,

I've got a few questions regarding insurance and how it relates with the demerit system in Alberta. I've been through the new grid system and I think I'm starting to understand just how it works.

For the sake of this post and those who are reading it, I'll just state my situation (like a lot of people have been doing in this forum) and maybe someone can provide a little insight.

I have a total of four tickets since I got my license at 16 (18 now) - all of them are speeding and all of them are UNDER 20km over speedlimit. However, TWO of these tickets are in BC. One happened a long time ago, and never showed up on my abstract. The other was recent and I haven't paid it yet. The other two are in Alberta - one showed up on my abstract, giving me 2 demerits, and the other is recent and I'm going to fight it at Rocky Mountain Plaza.

So as far as I know now, I have one ticket on my abstract giving me two demerits and a possible second Alberta-made ticket on the way if I lose in court. I spoke to some friends and they all think that if I get a ticket in BC, it won't generate any demerits on my abstract. I'm thinking that this is what's gonna happen, based on what happened to me and the other BC ticket before it.

Lately though I've been hearing that the BC/Alberta thing might have been amended and BC tickets DO count for demerits (before they were just cash, or you'd skip province and not drive there anymore).

The other MAJOR question I have, one that I can't seem to find the answer to for the LIFE OF ME is - Do Canadian (Alberta) insurance companies base their premiums solely on CONVICTIONS or on Demerits? If I have to pay for all 4 convicted speeding tickets, it's gonna be a pain in the ass, but it would be way nicer if I just had to pay for two tickets premium-wise.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Maybe that guy who is a traffic ticket fighter could grace this thread with his presence! Thanks again,

lay318

HTN SWCHS
07-06-2005, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by lay318

The other MAJOR question I have, one that I can't seem to find the answer to for the LIFE OF ME is - Do Canadian (Alberta) insurance companies base their premiums solely on CONVICTIONS or on Demerits? If I have to pay for all 4 convicted speeding tickets, it's gonna be a pain in the ass, but it would be way nicer if I just had to pay for two tickets premium-wise.

ask around, mine does on convictions and ive had like 5 speeding and 8 regular convictions, next year im fucked so insurance is going on the 5 year clean record no accidents no convictions sister, (their usefull once in a while eh?)

benyl
07-06-2005, 07:21 AM
Why don't you call your insurance broker?

Wakalimasu
07-06-2005, 09:21 AM
they are based on convictions

the insurance company don't look at demerits

speeding are minors unless you get a careless or unsafe driving