PDA

View Full Version : Overclock

PSJanis
07-05-2005, 10:32 PM
Does anyone know if SATA overclocks well? IDK about this and i want to upgrade from IDE to SATA. Thanks!

BerserkerCatSplat
07-05-2005, 10:43 PM
What do you mean, overclock SATA? SATA, in essence, provides greater data transfer rates to the CPU, which I guess could help your overclock if your CPU can process faster than your IDE drive can transfer. I don't know how to overclock the SATA interface itself, though. I've never heard of it being done before.

AllGoNoShow
07-05-2005, 11:04 PM
SATA should be able to out perform your CPU so that isnt a worry, unless u just spent liek 8g on a setup and are talking liek 4-5ghz OC then I wouldnt owrry, because SATA will be the least of your worries.

Genjuro
07-05-2005, 11:11 PM
you cant OC a harddrive interface... even if you wanted to, there would be no point cause the cpu couldnt keep up with it anyways.. what exactly would be the point of that if you cant see any difference?

im guessing your asking how to OC either a CPU or GPU..?

PSJanis
07-06-2005, 09:55 AM
I feel stupid...i forgot to be more specific...let me start by sayin that i work with computers and i do have a lot of knoledge in this field. I was just wondering how the SATA drive handles the FSB overclock, cuz after a point my IDE HDD couldnt take it. The SATA is integrated into the board and i'm gettin a western digital 80GB SATA HDD. I just wanted to know if the SATA HDD could handle a lot of o/c-ing.

frostyda9
07-06-2005, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by PSJanis
I was just wondering how the SATA drive handles the FSB overclock, cuz after a point my IDE HDD couldnt take it.

I don't think jacking the front side bus will have any effect on the HDD. If memory serves, the AGP and PCI busses will be affected as a ratio of the FSB overclock, but not the hard drive channels.

PSJanis
07-06-2005, 09:40 PM
idk...my IDE was affected when i had it cranked higher...