PDA

View Full Version : Google Ads on Top Post

sabad66
07-06-2005, 11:19 AM
Hey I just noticed the ads that show up on the first post of a thread. To be honest, I think it's a horrible place for an ad to be and it just makes it look so cluttered and stuff. But if you have to have it there and it creates more revenue to run this site, by all means keep it.

rage2
07-06-2005, 11:23 AM
I think this is less cluttered than the 4 ads above each thread. It's at the end of the post with spacing between the post itself and the signature, looks a lot better than before IMO.

ryder_23
07-06-2005, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by sabad66
Hey I just noticed the ads that show up on the first post of a thread. To be honest, I think it's a horrible place for an ad to be and it just makes it look so cluttered and stuff. But if you have to have it there and it creates more revenue to run this site, by all means keep it.

:werd: couldnt agree more. If it has to be there so be it, just kind of a pain.

rage: was wondering where those went. Makes more sense now.

sabad66
07-06-2005, 11:25 AM
Oh I just noticed taht the 4 ads at the top are not there along with the post ad. Before it was all 5 ads at once. I guess I could get used to it.

apples
07-06-2005, 11:26 AM
Its actually quite inventive flowing it in there with the post. Probly get a higher click-thru rate having it there too.

sabad66
07-06-2005, 11:28 AM
Also, is there any way to make it so when you click the ad it opens in a new window instead of the same page. It might be better that way.

apples
07-06-2005, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by sabad66
Also, is there any way to make it so when you click the ad it opens in a new window instead of the same page. It might be better that way.

Probably won't meet google's TOC, they want the visitor not just the impression.

kenny
07-06-2005, 11:36 AM
It is against our user agreement with Google to have the ads open up in a new window so unfortunately we cannot do that.

Redlyne_mr2
07-06-2005, 11:54 AM
Rage and Kenny selling out to corporate America. That's ok, something has to fund all the shows and subsidize our track days. If all it takes is a little bit of advertising then thats fine by me. All I ask is no popups...ever!:)

69cougar
07-06-2005, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Rage and Kenny selling out to corporate America. That's ok, something has to fund all the shows and subsidize our track days. If all it takes is a little bit of advertising then thats fine by me. All I ask is no popups...ever!:)

:werd:

Mad$ella
07-06-2005, 12:02 PM
I think the 4 - 5 adds at the top were much better, having in the post is distracting and misleading.

D'z Nutz
07-06-2005, 01:18 PM
Actually, I prefer the ads on the top of the page rather then inline with the post. When it's on top, I learn to tune it out along with the banner.

kenny
07-06-2005, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Actually, I prefer the ads on the top of the page rather then inline with the post. When it's on top, I learn to tune it out along with the banner.

And thats why its now in the post :D Trying to get everyone to tune IN. The ads are relevent (most of the time) so its a bit better for those that are looking for help on certain topics. It becomes particularly useful when you are searching for stuff.

Hopefully we can reduce the cost of future trackdays for regular members if the changes are successful.

D'z Nutz
07-06-2005, 01:41 PM
Hahaha! Good point! :rofl:

Does Beyond get $$ per click/referral?

EK 2.0
07-06-2005, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by kenny
Hopefully we can reduce the cost of future trackdays for regular members if the changes are successful.

hear, hear!!...

When I first logged on today I thought there was something wrong with the coding...then I got "owned" by D'z Nutz...haha

b_t
07-06-2005, 02:48 PM
I don't really like it, it looks all cluttered and reminds me off all those other forums that have like gigantic ads in the middle of all their threads and it completely breaks up the flow and makes the whole forum seem cheap and ghetto.
If you put the ads back into something with a border, and put the four of them back so it actually looked like it belonged instead of being a total afterthought, it would look much better.
edit: come to think of it, when there is four ads, there is always three relevant ones and one that makes no sense whatsoever to be ether. maybe just put three ads in a box like the one quotes appear in?

GoChris
07-06-2005, 02:56 PM
will it help if we just randomly click on something let the page load, then go back?

i will click the odd time if it brings in a few $$. it would add up if a bunch did it once in a while

kenny
07-06-2005, 02:59 PM
No, we would prefer users to not click it just for the heck of it and only click if you find a particular ad interesting. ;)

googe
07-06-2005, 04:27 PM
big :thumbsdow to the new ad placement :)

dont really care though, up to the admins how they want to use the site to make money

ZorroAMG
07-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Whatever works for beyond, works for me. It's not like any of you that are bitching are going to be here any less.

Oh, and "right click, open link in new window" is my friend ;)

schurchill39
07-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Yea i agree that it looks horrible but thats only my opinion and of course it doesnt count.

Haha yea i was just gunna say that.. hasnt any one looked what options you have when you RIGHT CLICK on a link

finboy
07-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Does Beyond get $$ per click/referral?
:werd:

Thaco
07-06-2005, 05:57 PM
yes, the amount they make depends on the amount the advertiser gives google, they can make up to (and probably more than) $1 per click, but that is pretty high, average is probably $0.20 a click, and yes clickign randomly will help them, but due to googles TOC they have to tell you not to because those are considered fraudulant clicks and google will investigate it if there are large amounts of click from the same ip with that person only staying on the target site for a few seconds.

01RedDX
07-06-2005, 06:13 PM

Toms-SC
07-07-2005, 09:28 AM
Hate it

AcuraTl
07-07-2005, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
Hate it

should we invade iraq and take their oil to pay the bills hahahahaha

Chim
07-07-2005, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by AcuraTl

should we invade iraq and take their oil to pay the bills hahahahaha

Only if we can mask it as the right thing to do, such as searching for WMD's ;)

doublepostwhore
07-07-2005, 10:41 AM
^ pwned

Personally I thought I had massive spyware infestation so I did a nice 2 hr roast on the beast.

I kinda like it... Sometimes the ads are very close to what im looking for... and it beats doing the search yourself.

Superesc
07-07-2005, 11:03 AM
I have to admit, from a design/usability perspective having the ad in the post is not a good thing. It's better to seperate out ad from actual user content and not try to mate the 2. I would rather have the ads on the top (or bottom, but I have a feeling the TOC requires ad above the 'fold') of the thread seperated from content 'cause your eyes can easily scan over the page and digest the information that interest you (ad or content).

kenny
07-07-2005, 11:16 AM
Web users are becoming "desensitized" to online ads to a point where they dont even see it if placed in traditional locations. By merging it with content, the ad is actually seen, and is more effective.

Another side effect of this latest change is that there is more content above the fold, and less ads. I think alot of people are irked by this change because they now have to see the ads, but hey, thats the point! :D

b_t
07-07-2005, 11:18 AM
well now I have a mysterious line in the middle of all my posts with nothing underneath it. WTF? :D

kenny
07-07-2005, 11:20 AM
It stays blank if there are no ads available to be displayed :)

b_t
07-07-2005, 11:21 AM
in every single one of my posts though? why me? no one else has it! :D
edit: well of course there isn't a line in this one

kenny
07-07-2005, 11:34 AM
Its not in every single one of your posts :)

Superesc
07-07-2005, 01:35 PM
Web users are becoming "desensitized" to online ads to a point where they dont even see it if placed in traditional locations. By merging it with content, the ad is actually seen, and is more effective.

Another side effect of this latest change is that there is more content above the fold, and less ads. I think alot of people are irked by this change because they now have to see the ads, but hey, thats the point! :D

That's why you need a more eye catching banner/ad. From eyeblasters/peelbacks/expandables/flash. Each format are meant for specific placement and usage.

If you look at even google itself, they place their relevant sponsor ads on the right side column and not in the actual search results. It's a simple design, but its a proven design. Eyes scan from top left corner to bottom right corner. High priority information to low priority information flows the same way.

kenny
07-07-2005, 02:04 PM
Yeah, I was going to right align it (pretty much the only other option) but it didn't look as nice IMO.

Since its a text ad, there aren't too many things we can do. I didn't like the double stacked banner (what we had before) so I incorporated it into the content itself. Not an ideal location in terms of advertising but when you do not have control over the ads itself it makes things a lot more difficult.

If we made a right side column and stacked ads the way google has it, we'd have way more bitching since it takes away from the content.

GoChris
07-07-2005, 02:08 PM
actually come to think of it, i havent seen any google ads what so ever in at least a week. i have this spyware program that blocks website address of known ad image hosting, maybe thats why.

wildrice
07-07-2005, 06:44 PM
I've noticed that the google ad has been right aligned.

Looks better this way.
:thumbsup:

Fluidic
07-07-2005, 07:26 PM
:thumbsdow

I don't like it. Just make this a pay site or something. Rage and Kenny, I understand that the cost of upkeep for beyond is spiraling outta control... do what you have to do, make it pay only.

sabad66
07-07-2005, 09:53 PM
I say make an ad-free version for a nominal fee per year or something. I use beyond enough to actually pay like 20 bucks a year or something liek that.

kenny
07-09-2005, 12:01 AM
We want to ensure all of our sponsors get as much people seeing their ads as possible to provide them with value so as of right now there are no plans to provide an ad free version, even all the admins get to see all the ads! :)

We are doing our best to balance functionality, and our sponsors best interests. As always we are open to suggestions, but of course we may or may not follow through on suggestions ;)

Also...

I have made some changes to the site so the ads served should be more relevent as compared to before. Hopefully this makes them a bit more useful for everybody!

403Gemini
07-09-2005, 07:22 PM

And thats why its now in the post :D Trying to get everyone to tune IN. The ads are relevent (most of the time) so its a bit better for those that are looking for help on certain topics. It becomes particularly useful when you are searching for stuff.

oh tahts what the point was? i thought the forum was bugging up. the ads are annoying more than informative. i say keep it at the top, least i read it up there, now i just scroll past it.

Toms-SC
07-09-2005, 09:55 PM
I just fixed my problem, its pretty easy to block these ad's. Took me less than 20 seconds.

:)

kenny
07-09-2005, 11:31 PM
I just fixed my problem, its pretty easy to block these ad's. Took me less than 20 seconds.

:)

Thanks for your support! :rolleyes:

Toms-SC
07-10-2005, 01:40 AM
Sorry Kenny

The REAL ad's at the top are effective and revelant to a car forum. So far the goooooogle are SPAM AD's and putting them into people's posts really put the nail in the coffin.

Cliffs: Real Vendor Ad's at the top of the webpage = good
SUPERCHARGE ANY CAR +35 HP GUARANTEE = bad

DJ Lazy
07-10-2005, 02:21 AM
Sorry Kenny

The REAL ad's at the top are effective and revelant to a car forum. So far the goooooogle are SPAM AD's and putting them into people's posts really put the nail in the coffin.

Cliffs: Real Vendor Ad's at the top of the webpage = good
SUPERCHARGE ANY CAR +35 HP GUARANTEE = bad

You support the War in Iraq, but not Beyonda... Nice one Tom.. :thumbsdow

/////AMG
07-11-2005, 10:01 AM
lol ignoring users, blocking ads, whats next?

I think everyone is whining too much, it's one bloody ad on the top of the page, after you scroll down you're ad free!! :rolleyes:

XylathaneGTR
07-12-2005, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by /////AMG
lol ignoring users, blocking ads, whats next?

I think everyone is whining too much, it's one bloody ad on the top of the page, after you scroll down you're ad free!! :rolleyes:
Werd...
I just ignore them now, no bother.