PDA

View Full Version : Regulations for Sleeping in a Basement

Neil4Speed
07-07-2005, 01:23 PM
Well guys, I have somewhat of a situation on my hands. As a few of you know I am in the process of renovating my basement, and I think my mom might be making up some rule to prevent me sleeping in the basement (in the motive to prevent, other activities in the basement if you understand ;) ).

She tells me that the window that we have in the basement is below spec to have someone sleeping in the basement. This sounded somewaht absurd to me, why would someone build a house without having the intention of a usuable basement, this sounds ridiculus to me.

Do any of you know where I might be able to find the information on the minimum dimensions of a basement window or any experiences you might have had with this kind of situation?

Cheers and thanks in advance :thumbsup:

rockym20
07-07-2005, 01:30 PM
As far as I know, you only need to have a window in the basement room to be able to use it as a bedroom. However, check the City of Calgary website to be sure (or call the City and find out that way).

BokCh0y
07-07-2005, 01:32 PM
I can't remember the dimensions but I know when we renovated our basement (last year) the contractor mentioned that our windows are too small as the City has since then changed the acceptable standards.

However when we brought the plans to the City for the building permit we were able to get around this as we have a walkout basement with more than sufficient sized windows on that one side.

The City also mentioned to me that if we didn't have a walkout basement then what would've needed to be done was to remove the current windows, cut out the concrete and install larger sized windows. They also mentioned that cuz our house is 10 years old that because it was built before the larger sized windows were standard that they would "let it go" but it depends on who you talk to. I guess some of them are stifflers and will make you install larger windows.:dunno:

Xtrema
07-07-2005, 01:51 PM
So what's the standard? A 300lbs guy gotta fit thru it in case of fire?

How about moving out as an alternate solution?

ApexDrift
07-07-2005, 02:09 PM
if its 4' x 1' then your good to go!
these are the specs in my arch text book!

good humping!

Street_Soldier
07-07-2005, 02:13 PM
have you tried jacking off somewhere else?

BokCh0y
07-07-2005, 02:15 PM
I heard minimun 18" in terms of height.

also heard it's something like 2' x 4' (h x l)

:dunno:

EDIT: Here's building codes for Basements from the City of Calgary link:

http://www.calgary.ca/DocGallery/BU/planning/pdf/basement.pdf

b_t
07-07-2005, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Street_Soldier

uhh he's only 18. moving out right now is not a good move, he'll be broke for YEARS

ApexDrift
07-07-2005, 02:20 PM
hmm maybe ill have to look again... but i remember something about 1' x 4' being the minimum size... ill check

BokCh0y
07-07-2005, 02:21 PM
City Building Codes Link:

http://www.calgary.ca/DocGallery/BU/planning/pdf/basement.pdf

StevieMo
07-07-2005, 02:33 PM
I'm in the basement right now. We definetly don't have any windows big enough to fit in. I'd probably die in a fire, but it's a lot cooler in the summer. That's a risk I'm willing to take to be comfortable.

Canadian 2.5RS
07-07-2005, 02:34 PM
or if youre lazy just call 311 and they will get you in touch with the right people.

QuasarCav
07-07-2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by StevieMo
I'm in the basement right now. We definetly don't have any windows big enough to fit in. I'd probably die in a fire, but it's a lot cooler in the summer. That's a risk I'm willing to take to be comfortable.

:werd:

My cats could get out but I would be screwed. It is awful nice to have a 18 degree bedroom in the middle of summer though.

Gspotracer
07-07-2005, 02:42 PM
every bedroom in your basement must have a window with a minimum unobstructed area of 3.8sq ft. with a minimum 15" width & height.

There are also other factors such as if your window has a window well or is an awning type window.

Ben
07-07-2005, 02:57 PM
Walkout basements own j00. I love them. Fuck windows, just use the door.

schurchill39
07-07-2005, 06:47 PM

Hahahaha smart ass

Khyron
07-07-2005, 11:34 PM
You'd be surprise how small a hole you can crawl through when yo fat ass is on fire.

If you have a window and you can fit out it, it's probably fine.

Khyron

StevieMo
07-07-2005, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
You'd be surprise how small a hole you can crawl through when yo fat ass is on fire.

If you have a window and you can fit out it, it's probably fine.

Khyron
I'd still be screwed. The only window in our basement was painted shut and then had a deck built over it. I suppose I could try to hide under the deck though.

Z_Fan
07-08-2005, 01:05 AM
I just finished my basement. Window size is like 15"H x 36"W minimum.

If you are sleeping in the room, the electrical code requires that you have a smoke detector within a certain number of feet from the room too. AND, it must be ELECTRICAL. It can not be solely battery powered. [It can have a battery back up, but still must be wired]

StevieMo
07-08-2005, 01:20 AM
Wow... we're breaking all sorts of building codes. I'm not sure if we have a smoke detector in our basement at all.

Godfuader
07-08-2005, 03:03 AM
Um, dont most ppl install those window security things on the basement windows. If the city's intent is to ensure you can escape thru, then shouldn't they ban security bars too.:dunno:

tapout
07-08-2005, 04:04 AM
have you tried jacking off somewhere else? :rofl:

Gspotracer
07-08-2005, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Godfuader
Um, dont most ppl install those window security things on the basement windows. If the city's intent is to ensure you can escape thru, then shouldn't they ban security bars too.:dunno:

If the security bars are on a bedroom window you must be able to open them from the inside

Khyron
07-08-2005, 10:40 AM
Both sets I've put in basements have a cotter pin that you can pull. One was on a cable so it would be impossible to reach from outside, the other you'd have to have triple jointed wrists. Then they open like a door.

I can see not spending shit loads of money on some waste of time codes, but doesn't sleeping in a basement with no exits, and no smoke/co2 detector strike you as a bit darwinish? I think they're 15 bucks at walmart. You do have a furnace nearby no?

Khyron

Neil4Speed
07-08-2005, 04:47 PM
Wow, never realized how strict these codes are, wow!

So whats the real consequence if you break them? How would they even find out? Is there some legal aspect to this in the case of an incident?

I dunno seems kinda ridiculous to me in a way, I am on the top floor of my house right now, if there is a fire and I am trapped, well, I have to leap for my death onto concrete, whereas if I was in the basement, I can quite simply just crawl out.