PDA

View Full Version : Mongolian Grill

Khalil
07-08-2005, 12:37 PM
Anyone been here before?

How would you rate it in terms of atmosphere and food?

Anyplace comparable / or better?

Looking for a place to get something to eat tonight..its not exactly a first date...but..kinda a 'get together' if you know what I mean.

Whats the verdict? Mongolian grill?
or other place?

Thanks,

-Khalil

p.s also..can you make reservations there? *if anyone would know*

Thanks

Mad$ella
07-08-2005, 12:42 PM
IMO Damn good food!
Its like a buffet of raw food that you select in a bowl, then they stir-fry it all together and you can add rice, sauce etc. As for service I like it because you dont have to deal with the waitress/waiter much; they will explain how the buffet works (if you have never been there) and then basically you go ahead when you are ready and then are only there to keep your drink full from then on out. I like it, and its definatly different if you have never been. :thumbsup:

Def_3
07-08-2005, 12:44 PM
I love it because you eat only what you want and choose. It is a picky eaters paradise (like me):D

bonnieclyde240
07-08-2005, 12:45 PM
OMG that sounds yummy! I've heard good things about it, where is it located?

mac_82
07-08-2005, 12:46 PM
Ya I love Mongolian grill. One of my favourites by far! Not sure about reservations, call and ask.

ronaldo
07-08-2005, 12:47 PM
yeah its great cuz you cant blame anyone else if your food sux cuz u make the mix with all the sauces n stuff...the service is decent considering they dont do much. definately a place worth checking out though :thumbsup:

Mad$ella
07-08-2005, 12:53 PM
The closest one to me, and in the NW is at Dalhousie Station right by the Dairy Queen. Bon apetite!

koopkoop2
07-08-2005, 12:57 PM
Check out Eau Claire. It has a fast-food style Mongolian Grill in the food court. $6.00 gets you a bowl that you can fill up with as much as you can pack in.

I love going to eat there because it's like playing a game. Everytime you go, you try out all these different strageties to try to pack more in. There's so many different ways to layer all the raw food and each different method can have a significant impact on the amount of food you get

Of course, the place has their own tricks to curb this type of behaviour. Each slice of meat is frozen and rolled into a tube so it consumes more volume in your bowl. My stragety is to fish in the bottom for the slightly thawed ones that you can compress into a disc.

QuasarCav
07-08-2005, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by koopkoop2
Check out Eau Claire. It has a fast-food style Mongolian Grill in the food court. $6.00 gets you a bowl that you can fill up with as much as you can pack in.

I love going to eat there because it's like playing a game. Everytime you go, you try out all these different strageties to try to pack more in. There's so many different ways to layer all the raw food and each different method can have a significant impact on the amount of food you get

Of course, the place has their own tricks to curb this type of behaviour. Each slice of meat is frozen and rolled into a tube so it consumes more volume in your bowl. My stragety is to fish in the bottom for the slightly thawed ones that you can compress into a disc.

You obviously know what is up. This is exactly how i do it!

Another tip: Fill the beef tubes with veggies so you have no wasted space and put the noodles on top becuase they pile alot easier than meat or vegetables.

Khalil
07-08-2005, 01:00 PM
awesome, thaks guys...

looks like its mongolian grill tonight :bigpimp:

Official Hoser
07-08-2005, 01:18 PM
There is also one downtown - 4 St and 11 Ave I believe. I gotta try it.

rage2
07-08-2005, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Mad$ella
As for service I like it because you dont have to deal with the waitress/waiter much
I dunno man, the waitress was kinda cute there last time I went. Wish she came by more!

GSR Zero
07-08-2005, 01:52 PM
There's another place on 10th Ave called Khublai that is very similar to Mongolie Grill. Its in the same complex as Tantra I believe.

2000_SI
07-08-2005, 01:55 PM
If you are trying to choose between the 2, I would say go to the one in Dalhousie. IMO the atmosphere, cleanliness, and even service are better at that location by far :thumbsup:

Weed
07-08-2005, 02:04 PM
Last time i was at the dalhousie one all the waitresses were hot. There is place off mcloed, called Palatal i think, does mongolie grill and korean BBQ

GSR Zero
07-08-2005, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Weed
There is place off mcloed, called Palatal i think, does mongolie grill and korean BBQ

Been there once and it was great. I'd recommend that place too.

ricosuave
07-08-2005, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by GSR Zero
There's another place on 10th Ave called Khublai that is very similar to Mongolie Grill. Its in the same complex as Tantra I believe.

yep, its awesome and a little cheaper too

mac_gurl
07-08-2005, 02:39 PM
I would recommend Open Sesame. ITs right near Chinook centre.
Same Idea. You pay for about $12, and its unlimited. Its not based
on the weight, like Mongolian grill.
Only thing, is you don't get to pick the meats. They give you the
meats. You can choose all the veggies and sauces. Hope this makes
sense.

They also have a regular menu to choose from, not just the
veggie bar. Price was very reasonable, and the atmosphere
was very nice.

Khalil
07-08-2005, 02:43 PM
for this Open Sesame..

you can just straight up say no meats..right?

This girl is vegetarian..

QuasarCav
07-08-2005, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Khalil
for this Open Sesame..

you can just straight up say no meats..right?

This girl is vegetarian..

Yup, you can pay about 7 for a bowl of veggies and no meat.

mac_gurl
07-08-2005, 02:51 PM
If you are giong to Open Sesame, I would make a reservation.
We went on a Wednesday, at 8 o'clock, and almost didn't get in.
It was PACKED...
I'm pretty sure they take reservations.

dragonone
07-08-2005, 08:31 PM
i don't know what's so great about the place
while they can control the techniques of cooking
you blend the sauce yourself, and if you have no idea you could be puting in coconut, vinegar, and soy sauce (yuk)

Godfuader
07-08-2005, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by dragonone
i don't know what's so great about the place
while they can control the techniques of cooking
you blend the sauce yourself, and if you have no idea you could be puting in coconut, vinegar, and soy sauce (yuk)
:werd:Thats what i found. Its a great experience, but unless you know what sauces blend perfectly you end up mixing everything you like, and sometimes those sauces dont really gel too well.

szw
07-08-2005, 08:42 PM
I think these places are disgusting

GTS Jeff
07-13-2005, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by szw
I think these places are disgusting :werd: White-man ripoff places...

I dunno, I guess it is kinda fun to do the whole "fit as much as you can into a bowl" thing. My strategy is to bring two bowls. One for holding shit, and the other for squishing everything down in the 1st bowl. Then I create a layer with the noodles in a concave shape so that I can fit more meat overtop, then I do the noodle thing again.

Last time I went, I had food towering out the bowl by half a foot or so. The cooks laughed, but I could see their manager in the back giving me the evil monkey eye.

GSR Zero
07-13-2005, 03:49 PM
Don't you pay by the weight of the ingredients you put in your bowl, not how much you can stuff in your bowl? Maybe I'm wrong. I haven't been to Mongolie Grill in a long time now. :dunno:

rip
07-13-2005, 04:28 PM
I went to korean BBQ a few weekends ago in Edmonton, and it was a pretty cool place.

You basicaly go and pick all of your own stuff from the buffet ( raw meat, shrimp etc, and all types of noddles/rice) and then you cook it yourself on a small grill in the center of your table.

It was $25 but worth every penny, I have never eaten so much in my life.

dragonone
07-14-2005, 04:58 PM
u don't need any sauces in korean bbq, and even if you do it's all prepared for you. as well, it tastes 100x better because ie. the meat is marinated for hours b4hand

BebeAphrodite
07-18-2005, 04:36 PM
I hate this type of place! If I wanted to cook and make my own meals I'd stay at home and make it. Besides, I don't even know how to cook and my stuff always tastes like crap because I don't know what sauces to put in it. I prefer for someone to cook my meals for me if I'm paying for it. Also, everytime I go to a place like Mongolie Grill (aside from the food court style ones), I end up getting charged an arm and a leg.