PDA

View Full Version : CDMA or GSM

Fluidic
01-23-2003, 04:25 PM
I want superior clarity on all phone calls within the digital area. I don't care about providers, and I don't care about phones.

CDMA or GSM? Which is superior and why?

Thanks,

Peter

rage2
01-23-2003, 04:27 PM
CDMA Telus, works everywhere. Very little dropped calls.

Fluidic
01-23-2003, 04:30 PM
I currently own a GSM phone and I use my families CDMA phone all the time, therefore I am not biased; both work just fine. I could care less if Rogers/Bell or Telus get my business. Simply trying to get a little bit of information.

Thanks for your input Rage.

CDMA (1)
GSM (-)

gpomp
01-23-2003, 04:32 PM
In Calgary, CDMA.

edit: Better coverage in rural areas!

Fluidic
01-23-2003, 04:35 PM
CDMA (2)
GSM (-)

mrmattyk
01-23-2003, 04:36 PM
CDMA. GSM I had a little trouble making calls outside of the city.

Fluidic
01-23-2003, 04:36 PM
CDMA (3)
GSM (-)

hinggu
01-23-2003, 04:42 PM
CDMA has better coverage, but I like GSM. And from what I have heard from people, when you look for a CDMA phone later, they tend to be more expensive. And you can always get unlocked GSM phones easily on ebay and stuff

Fluidic
01-23-2003, 04:46 PM
CDMA (4)
GSM (1)

sml
01-23-2003, 06:11 PM
QUALCOMM!!!

Stratus_Power
01-23-2003, 06:13 PM
CDMA here as well

Ajay
01-23-2003, 06:13 PM
GSM is used more universally than CDMA. You go to Europe, Asia, or almost anywhere else in the world and 90% of their cell networks will be GSM therefore the universality of GSM is better but honestly....how many times are you gonna take your cell phone overseas unless you wanna pay like mad for long distance!

CDMA is a more reliable network but doesn't have that univesality as compared to GSM. Also with a GSM network the provider is able to put more people onto a tower as opposed to CDMA. But CDMA is a binary system which makes it quite secure.

Another point....do Fido phones work outside the city very well? NOPE! I work at a Telus dealership so I'm a little biased!

Fluidic
01-23-2003, 06:17 PM
CDMA (6)
GSM (2)

Fluidic
01-23-2003, 06:18 PM
Oh... and from what I've heard... TDMA blows chunks? lol

Peter

M68KACIA
01-23-2003, 06:18 PM
I heard in korea CDMA is more popular, is that true???

turboMiata
01-23-2003, 06:19 PM
Well, CDMA has been around forever. GSM has only become mainstream with Fido and now Rogers. The Fido service is better than Rogers in metro areas hands down. Rogers has better coverage out of town.

If all you care about is clarity, go for CDMA. Personally, I'm in with GSM for so much more reasons, I'd rather sacrifice a little bit of clarity/reception.

Luke 96 T/A
01-23-2003, 06:41 PM
Roger's GSM sucks...
I wish I could trade it back for my TDMA phone...
My V60G keeps dropping calls all over the city..
My gf's Nokia GSM does the same...

Fluidic
01-23-2003, 06:55 PM
CDMA (7)
GSM (2)

bol
01-23-2003, 07:08 PM
I have had better luck with Rogers GSM over Telus CDMA... must just be where I normally use my phone, but I've never had a dropped call when I wasn't in my basement.

Telus CDMA I got dropped calls all the time... same with rogers TDMA or whatever.

gpomp
01-23-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Fluidic Digital
CDMA (7)
GSM (2)

Where did the 2nd vote for GSM come from?

Fluidic
01-23-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Ajay
GSM is used more universally than CDMA. You go to Europe, Asia, or almost anywhere else in the world and 90% of their cell networks will be GSM therefore the universality of GSM is better

Originally posted by gpomp
Where did the 2nd vote for GSM come from?

That's one point for GSM over CDMA.

Peter

Stratus_Power
01-23-2003, 07:29 PM
why not just save yourself some time and make an actual poll :P

D'z Nutz
01-23-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power
why not just save yourself some time and make an actual poll :P

There you go! (I've included the tallied votes into the vote alread...)

D'z Nutz
01-23-2003, 07:39 PM
Even the title changed... now no one will know what the hell this is all about... thanks Beyond crew! :D

Peter

Smartass :rolleyes:

Fluidic
01-23-2003, 07:47 PM
lol

Stratus_Power
01-23-2003, 07:50 PM
biased vote! if you already included the 7-2 vote.. and ppl can vote again.. that it would be 14-4 :P

D'z Nutz
01-23-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power
biased vote! if you already included the 7-2 vote.. and ppl can vote again.. that it would be 14-4 :P

Good point. I'm remove the ones I added and everyone can vote again. BTW, I'm putting 27 votes for myself for CDMA :rofl: Hahaha!

Ajay
01-23-2003, 07:58 PM

That's one point for GSM over CDMA.

Peter

Don't count my vote for GSM...I'm all about the CDMA! I was just pointing out a benefit of GSM!

Ben
01-23-2003, 08:26 PM
CDMA, No question!

and the new 1X...yep, thats right.

Dr. Evil
01-23-2003, 08:27 PM
CDMA Analog/Digital services 0ownz jo0!!!

Supposedly, in the future, we won't have a choice... but if they do that then I just hope that they convert ALL antennas everywhere to gsm. That way you can get signals everywhere, even in BFE.

GTS Jeff
01-23-2003, 10:34 PM
heh telus is the only provider that works on UA campus. i know lots of rogers users that cant use their phones on campus

D'z Nutz
01-23-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
heh telus is the only provider that works on UA campus. i know lots of rogers users that cant use their phones on campus

Goes for Calgary as well. Well, for most of campus anyways.

Stratus_Power
01-24-2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R

i can defintily confirm that.. when my mom was up here ( using GSM Nokia 8390).. she coudln't get ANY reception wat so ever.. even outside!!!

she manage to get one " star" when she was up in my room.. 10 floor high heheh

lammer
01-24-2003, 01:20 AM
GSM!!

redec
01-24-2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by bol
I have had better luck with Rogers GSM over Telus CDMA... must just be where I normally use my phone, but I've never had a dropped call when I wasn't in my basement.

Telus CDMA I got dropped calls all the time... same with rogers TDMA or whatever.

I'm on telus and I like never get dropped calls....even in my gf's parent's basement in the middle of a prairie in sask....

REdOX
01-24-2003, 07:54 AM
CDMA...
1. It supports calgary workers that build the BTS's here at Nortel :)
2. Newer technology (CDMA) vs. older technology (TDMA).

bol
01-24-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Goes for Calgary as well. Well, for most of campus anyways.

wtf u talking about
the ONLY place on campus I don't get *ANY* signal is at the Den/Black lounge

rage2
01-24-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by bol

The only time I get dropped calls on my Telus CDMA cell is when I talk to people on Fido GSM (usually they're in the basement) and Rogers GSM (tons of places) and THEIR phones drop the call.

Rogers TDMA is a joke, i got dropped calls trying to DISCONNECT from their service! Took 3 calls before I could cancel service. I remember when I had to get advanced voicemail with Rogers because so many calls weren't getting through and went straight to voicemail without even ringing, filling up my mailbox. Only reason why I stayed for so long was because I had a kick ass number (830-1234).

hinggu
01-24-2003, 11:17 AM
I had a lot of dropped calls when I was on Telus or I would get crappy reception in certain places. I do notice however that Telus did have the best reception. I am currently on Fido and it sometimes cuts in and out, nothing too bad, but can get annoying.

D'z Nutz
01-24-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by bol

wtf u talking about
the ONLY place on campus I don't get *ANY* signal is at the Den/Black lounge

Seriously? My friend's got Roger's and he can't get reception ANYWHERE! He's even tried it with a few phones!

Weapon_R
01-24-2003, 11:31 AM
I have gsm - although it is the international standard, etc, I hate my phone. It has zero reception in 90% of the Uni, including the library, social sciences, and mac hall cafeteria area. I think most companies are leaning towards GSM however, so I hope that Rogers will continuously improve their system.

CDMA right now for clarity, but look for GSM to improve later on.

hinggu
01-24-2003, 11:34 AM
I seem to have no problem getting reception through my GSM network on campus... wonder why everyone else is having trouble. Is it maybe just rogers?

egmike
01-24-2003, 11:43 AM
I have a rogers TDMA and it is ass, don't really experience dropped calls much just the person i am talking to sometimes can hardly hear me cause I am cutting in and out, too bad I have a year on my contract still or I would say c-ya!!

anyone ever get out of contracts ?

hinggu
01-24-2003, 11:49 AM
I think you can get out of the contracts by paying a $200 service charge.

Luke 96 T/A
01-24-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Seriously? My friend's got Roger's and he can't get reception ANYWHERE! He's even tried it with a few phones!

Same here.. all of MacHall is pretty bad.. science theaters and such work though.. but I do get a lot of dropped calls while walking through the campus ;-)

Ben
01-24-2003, 02:36 PM
this is the thing, Telus has the best service, and yet people expect the same or cheaper rates than everyone also...you are paying for a service, generally better services cost a bit more. People want premium service at shit service price., and Telus does have quite good rate plans in all respect for what you are getting, but for some people they cant see beyond the dollar sign, and thats fine, I dont work for mobility at all and could care less about it.

roopi
01-24-2003, 02:46 PM
TDMA - is not that bad actually. It is currently much better than Rogers GSM.

CDMA - great if you travel alot since you get analog coverage in remote areas. The phones suck ass though.

Fido GSM - great coverage in major cities but as soon as you leave you are screwed unless you get a GAIT phone that can support the analog coverage outside of cities. Good plans since No Contract. Phone prices too high though! You can always just buy an unlocked phone though.

Rogers GSM on the 1900 MHz - haven't heard great things about it. I personally use it for 2 of my accounts and I use Fido for the 3rd account. I haven't found any problems with it but stick to a phone with an external antenna. The V60G is a great phone. Even better get the V60t on the TDMA network through Rogers.

Rogers GSM on the 850 MHz - in the process of being implemented and will really make there network alot stronger since this frequency penatrates buildings alot better.

Right now so I have a Rogers GSM for Lethbridge and a Rogers GSM for Edmonton. I have a Fido GSM account for Calgary (Will switch to Rogers though when they offer prepaid GSM on Jan. 28th)

Not sure if this helps any. I voted GSM though. The clarity of the call is much better. The phones provide so many more features. You can pick any GSM phone in the world that you want have it unlocked for $40.00 and you are ready to go. If you want to change your phone buy a new phone and swap the sim card. It's that easy. You don't have to pay shitty reprogramming fees. Also with a GSM phone if it is tri-band you can use it world wide since it will support all networks (850, 1800, 1900).

roopi
01-24-2003, 02:49 PM
also i this might help you decide. these are the locations of the cell towers in calgary:

http://www.geckobeach.com/cellular/maps/alberta/calgary_sw.htm

rage2
01-24-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by roopi
Not sure if this helps any. I voted GSM though. The clarity of the call is much better. The phones provide so many more features.

I dunno man, my CDMA phone's sound quality is awesome (v60c). Last time I used a GSM phone (t68i on Fido GSM) it had horrible echoback... hear my own voice on the line. No reception in 1/2 of Arbour Lake too, which really sucked. Kenny's GSM phones (v60g and v70) sound really good on Fido, just as good as my CDMA v60c.

There are some CDMA phones with feature lists that are as nice as GSM phones. My v60c has no features tho, but that's a Motorola problem.

roopi
01-24-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by rage2

I dunno man, my CDMA phone's sound quality is awesome (v60c). Last time I used a GSM phone (t68i on Fido GSM) it had horrible echoback... hear my own voice on the line. No reception in 1/2 of Arbour Lake too, which really sucked. Kenny's GSM phones (v60g and v70) sound really good on Fido, just as good as my CDMA v60c.

There are some CDMA phones with feature lists that are as nice as GSM phones. My v60c has no features tho, but that's a Motorola problem.

Well I think sound quality really depends on the phone as well as the network. I've had the T68m and the T68i and the m was great for me on Rogers GSM. Then I had the i and it sucked. I've heard alot of problems with the T68i though.

The V60 is a great phone for RF. The V60t and V60c perform the same just different networks. When I had my V60G it was perfect. The only reason I got rid of it was so I could get the T720 which has better sound than the V60G, V60T, V60C and it has a color screen that is about twice the size of the V60 screens. I've had 3 V60's and they are great.

I've heard about the network issues in NW Calgary though. If you take a look at that map a few posts up you will see why.

REdOX
01-24-2003, 03:30 PM
also i this might help you decide. these are the locations of the cell towers in calgary:

http://www.geckobeach.com/cellular/maps/alberta/calgary_sw.htm

lol.. according to that map there are no cell sites in NE calgary.

roopi
01-24-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by REdOX

lol.. according to that map there are no cell sites in NE calgary.

NE Calgary sites have not been mapped. If you would like to help map sites in the Calgary area OR know where some sites are then please email me!

lol looks like you can't read!

kenny
01-24-2003, 04:08 PM
It depends what you are after when choosing which carrier to go with (and ultimately the technology: GSM/CDMA)...

For me, I like to change to the newest phones quite often, and GSM phones with their simcards allow that to be done very easily, pop the card out, pop it into a new phone and all your phone numbers are set and you're up and running. No need to get someone to "activate" the phone for you.

Another good thing about GSM is how its billed. With GSM technology, you are billed starting from when the call is actually connected. So if it rings for 3 minutes then someone picks up and talks to you for 20 seconds, you are billed for 20 seconds. The same situation on any CDMA carrier (Bell, Telus) will result in a 4 minute charge because you are billed starting from when you hit SEND, 3 minutes for the ringing and another minute for the 20seconds. Per second billing does not start until the second minute on all those carriers (if you even have that option).

If you are the type that does lots of really short phonecalls rather than few longer conversations, in the long run, it would be cheaper to go with Fido with its per-second billing from the first second. However, there are lots of drawbacks of Fido, their network is not as mature as Telus and as a result there are a bunch of poor reception areas throughout the city.

Rogers is even worse because they piggybacked their GSM equipment onto their TDMA towers which results in tons of no reception areas scattered throughout the city. Give them a year and I am sure it will improve.

In short, you can't really pick a network based on what other ppl suggest because everyone's usage pattern is different. If you want the best call quality, go with Telus. If you want more/better features go with Fido. If you want tons of dropped calls, go with Rogers! haha j/k but it all depends on what areas you frequent.

REdOX
01-25-2003, 01:33 AM

NE Calgary sites have not been mapped. If you would like to help map sites in the Calgary area OR know where some sites are then please email me!

lol looks like you can't read!

lol. I can read just fine. I just didn't read it. There's a difference.

roopi
01-25-2003, 01:36 AM

lol. I can read just fine. I just didn't read it. There's a difference.

relax i was just kidding. :D

REdOX
01-25-2003, 02:23 AM

relax i was just kidding. :D

sorry... I'm just in a bad mood. My GF (of 3 years) and I just split up tonight. :(

Peace.

roopi
01-25-2003, 02:25 AM

sorry... I'm just in a bad mood. My GF (of 3 years) and I just split up tonight. :(

Peace.

:eek: sorry to hear man.

thetransporter
03-12-2017, 11:04 PM
CDMA still strong in 2017

rage2
03-12-2017, 11:40 PM
What a random ass bump. But since we're here, if it wasn't for Telus extending their CDMA shutdown by a few months, we would be CDMAless today.

spikerS
03-13-2017, 06:43 AM
LOL, yeah I think we are keeping it going until June before it gets shut down permanently.

MiKE (iDEN) was shut down in January iirc.

it is all HSPA (WCDMA) and LTE now.

thetransporter
03-14-2017, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by rage2
What a random ass bump. But since we're here, if it wasn't for Telus extending their CDMA shutdown by a few months, we would be CDMAless today.

I was searching for other CDMA users in CAlgary as my CDMA phone still works and came across this thread.

Mar
03-29-2017, 02:02 PM
Is CDMA gone? What's being used now? I know about LTE but I thought that was only in reference to the data side.

speedog
03-29-2017, 08:49 PM
How much work is it to find a 14+ year old thread and bump it? Hell, there's probably some current beyond members that were still in diapers when this thread was started.

rage2
03-29-2017, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by speedog
How much work is it to find a 14+ year old thread and bump it? Hell, there's probably some current beyond members that were still in diapers when this thread was started.
In your case, adult diapers? :D

speedog
03-30-2017, 05:57 AM
Zing.

thetransporter
04-03-2017, 09:44 PM
I searched Calgary CDMA and this thread from 2003 came up.