PDA

View Full Version : auotmeter or megan???

-KiTtY- boo
07-10-2005, 07:32 PM
ok so i want to get some gauges but im havin a bit of a dilemma. i was lookin at either the autometer gauges or the megan gauges... now i herd that autometer is really good and accurate, and the megan ones look nicer but i herd there werent as accurate....
so would juss like to know if anyone has had a chance to experience the two or if the megan ones are just as accurate as the autometers
feed back will be nice

topher91
07-10-2005, 07:40 PM
I've seen the new megan ones and they look really cool but I heard they are hard to see in the daytime??

I've had autometer gauges and they are great and yes I hear they are accurate too.

I guess it depends on what you need the gauges for. If its like temp guages then I don't know how accurate you need them to be but if its like boost, A/F or oil temp I'd think you'd want them to be more accurate.

So that's my 2 cents!!

Aren't you soooo excited for your car?? When will it be here??

Chris

-KiTtY- boo
07-10-2005, 08:09 PM
ya i herd about the same thing... but i havent talked to anyone who has tried the two so that i can compare...
now for gauges the first two im gonna get is the boost gause, and the egt gauge....
it wouldnt be too big of a deal for the boost gauge, but for the egt and A/F or oil temp gauges i would want them to be accurate

well im kinnda excited... i just want it to be here!!!!.. and i dunno when it will be here yet... soon i hope

tsi_neal
07-10-2005, 09:36 PM
A/F guages are useless to start with... and the accuracy there is directly dictated by your O2 sensor that only knows stoich and everything else is just a lean/rich but not on any scale

EGT guages are similar in that the guage is usually as accurate as the probe, ive never had any reason to question mine (autometer), but then again its also only an indication of what your timing is doing. (keep in mind here that combustion chamber temps are around 4x what the EGT probe sees and when you see significant changes in temps its because the computer is changing timing letting the exhaust out at different points in relation to the explosion, or igniting the fuel at different points in the revolution, depending how you want to look at it) Obviously if its getting too hot thats for a reason and usually isnt a good one, so id still say its a usefull despite not being what most people believe it to be.

Mine and many peoples i know boost guages (autometer) are somewhat inaccurate in the actual boost #, but seem to be consitant. so setting a boost level is OK as long as you know what reads 12 on the boost guage may actually be 9 or 15. And again use it to set a boost level and be watching everything else and tune according to what the car wants not some majic boost number and the guage will do its job.

And if youre just anal and demand 100% accuracy over functionality there is better stuff out there... but its generally not automotive specific and sure isnt pretty

-KiTtY- boo
07-10-2005, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by tsi_neal
A/F guages are useless to start with... and the accuracy there is directly dictated by your O2 sensor that only knows stoich and everything else is just a lean/rich but not on any scale

EGT guages are similar in that the guage is usually as accurate as the probe, ive never had any reason to question mine (autometer), but then again its also only an indication of what your timing is doing. (keep in mind here that combustion chamber temps are around 4x what the EGT probe sees and when you see significant changes in temps its because the computer is changing timing letting the exhaust out at different points in relation to the explosion, or igniting the fuel at different points in the revolution, depending how you want to look at it) Obviously if its getting too hot thats for a reason and usually isnt a good one, so id still say its a usefull despite not being what most people believe it to be.

Mine and many peoples i know boost guages (autometer) are somewhat inaccurate in the actual boost #, but seem to be consitant. so setting a boost level is OK as long as you know what reads 12 on the boost guage may actually be 9 or 15. And again use it to set a boost level and be watching everything else and tune according to what the car wants not some majic boost number and the guage will do its job.

And if youre just anal and demand 100% accuracy over functionality there is better stuff out there... but its generally not automotive specific and sure isnt pretty

ya i am well aware that the air/fuel gauge is kindda usless.. thats y i will be getting the EGT gauge...

and you would be the first person ive herd say that the boost gauge (autometer) is inaccurate

i dont demand 100% accuarcy... i just want it to be accurate enough
thanks for the input

Speed_Dreams
07-11-2005, 07:44 AM
I have also heard that the autometer gauges can be not so accurate in what they are reading. and that you get what you pay for.

EK 2.0
07-11-2005, 08:56 AM
Autometer boost guages are never accurate. Well maybe for a week or so out of the box. After that just like Neal mentioned. They are CONSISTENTLY off by a certain amount one or 2 psi in either direction...once you know what the discrepacny is you are usually ok to use it as a meter...if you plan on running an EBC later down the road that is usually gonna be more accurate than the mechanical Autometer guage.

if you do demand a lot of accuracy, then please look to HKS, DEFI, and some more of the higher end brands to offer a lil more accuracy.

finboy
07-11-2005, 10:27 AM
i got my greddy's for CHEAP

they were used but still work well, just to give you an idea of how cheap you can get used japanese guages for.....

GReddy mechanical boost guage - $30
GReddy electronic EGT - $150
GReddy electronic highbind 02 - $150

now the EGT and O2 i got from beyond, they were on someones car, but you can still find used ones from places like yahoo japan, or occasionally jdmsource. the advantage of the greddy highband 02 (not full wideband unfortunatly), is that it uses its own o2 sensor to get readings, and doesn't mooch off of your stock o2. if you really want accurate readings, go check out wideband 02 sensors at mopac or best buy, AEM has a nice unit, but most of my buddies use innovate. i've heard the innovate is more accurate and it is cheaper.

i've also used autometers, the boostguages are always off by a bit, and the a/f didn't do anything really, i just gave them too my buddy, now my new car has another set of autometer guages, lol.

hope that helps :thumbsup:

legendboy
07-11-2005, 10:34 AM
Neither gauges are accurate. Try Stewart-Warner for a step up. Thats what I bought this spring. Couldn't bring myself to spend money on autometer again. I also couldn't bring myself to drop 800+ bucks on defi's....

Primer_Drift
07-11-2005, 10:37 AM
The AEM WBO2 gauge is a nice unit, but not certain how accurate it is, opinions vary. I've used the autometer EGT, as with many of their gauges it just gives you a rough estimate of what your engine is doing. For the price of a brand new unit it can't be beat.

Used is definetly the way to go for high end accurate gauges.. unless you've got a lot of money to throw around. I picked up a set of Defi gauges - egt, oil press, boost press, and 4" tach for less than $150USD.

gpomp
07-11-2005, 10:39 AM
i hate my autometer

dymz999
07-11-2005, 12:10 PM
If your going to buy gauges buy DEFI gauges. they are proven to be accurate and are worth every last penny. The AEM a/f is okay but is not nearly as good as the other choices out there at a similar price range. When it comes to a/f gauges that use wideband you should shop around, but AEM isn't the best when it comes to them.

-KiTtY- boo
07-11-2005, 04:37 PM
thanks guys that helped alot... im gonna shop around and do some more research... but if anyone has anything else to say or have tried other gauges please feel free to share:thumbsup:

-KiTtY- boo
07-11-2005, 05:18 PM
ok heres my next question.... should i really be spending 150- 300USD on gauges or should i just get something that does the job:dunno: for now at least
i mean thats alot of money for me... im poor so i have to slowly work my car up.. and i rather be spending that money on a turbo upgrade or something:D
cause so far ive decided between greddy and defi... but so much money:cry: