PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln Navigator (ticking noise)

andrewcanada
07-11-2005, 01:09 AM
Hey guys, i just purchased a 2004 Lincoln Navigator. Beautiful truck and it even gets an outstanding 12MPG City!! Yeaaa, While anyways im having the problem. Every so often and usually on left turns it makes this ticking noise? Not sure what the problem is but I have taken it into the dealership 3 times without any fix. A new hub was put in but still the same old problem.

westside_ryda
08-04-2005, 03:50 PM
well thats a shitter

ramminghard
08-04-2005, 05:09 PM
just a normal turn or turn the wheel all the way to the left. high speed or low speed?

5hift
08-04-2005, 05:38 PM
I had the exact same problem with my prelude and had taken it in many times as well. Its not the hub, its most likely the assembly that the hub sits in is somehow damaged and will slowly damage every hub placed in it (you will probably notice the sound will get worse and worse). This is what happened to me and replacing the entire assembly fixed the problem. Most likely for your Navi the reason they only replace the hub when you take it in is because it is under warrentee and replacing the entire assembly would be a lot more expensive to dealer or Ford. I've found that with newer cars under warrentee, dealers are never really up front with problems on cars and tend to do quick fixes that cost them less or take less time. In my case after having the hub replaced 3 times in less than a year, I took it to a private mechanic who knew the exact cause of the problem after looking at my car for 10 minutes (there was a crack that would slowly tear about any hub placed in it). I took his estimate with the specified problem back to Honda and threatened to go to BBB if they did not honor their warrentee properly (it was obvious at this point they were playing dumb with not knowing the cause of the problem. Somehow they all of a sudden knew how to fix the problem and ordered in a new complete hub assembly and some other parts and installed them, fixing the problem (so far).

Hope that helped a bit, if you have any specific questions about the hub assembly feel free to PM me as I learned quite a bit doing my own research for my situation.

westside_ryda
08-18-2005, 08:22 PM
Its most likely your outer CV joint on the side that seems to do the "ticking". And its most likely more of a clicking than a ticking.

If you need a reputable mechanic to fix it for you take it to Apollo Muffler on 17th Avenue SE and ask for Rick.