PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on choosing a car..

ex1z7
07-11-2005, 08:01 AM
(Before you vote, I thought I'd mention that insurance is not necessary in Australia. It is not illegal to drive without it there. So anything I do I'll obviously insure when it gets done up - but I can afford to drive a 2 door at 18 and not get bent over by the insurance prices.)

Since I first saw a Silvia I fell in love with them.. I've worked on a few when I was in Australia, and helped out with a few 240's here in Canada so I know, so far, that I love them.. And I'm moving back to Australia on the 17th (6 days WOOOO!) so I need a car..

There were 3 idea's I had..

My mom is buying a Holden Commodore, 2002 V6 Sedan...
this thing commodore (http://www.autogaleria.pl/tapety/img/holden/holden_commodore_ss_2002_01_b.jpg)
and I'll be there for a month and a half before she gets there - so I'll have the car for that time.. which gives me a month and a half - 2 months to get a car which is enough time for me to find one I want. :clap: I might just sort've "borrow" that if I need it to get to school etc. Or she can drop me off, or I can bus it - if I don't have a car by then...

My first option is.. Save up all my pennies (by then I'll have about 2 grand, plus I'm getting some money for graduating and such.. Yay me) plus I can borrow and repay one of my parents if I'm short a grand or so.. I'm also not considering expensive mods untill I'm out of school, which is in December. Then I'll have a job (apprenticeship) and THEN I can put money into my car, till then it's stayin' stock (maybe rims if I can scrape some cash :))

First option is a Silvia with a CA18DET. So.. a Q pretty much. I like the CA more then SR anyways, I wont get into why.

When I start getting the money together, I'll piece together a
VR4 Mitsu intercooler,
GTS-T radiator,
300zx fuel ump,
450cc injectors,
coilovers,
T28 S15 turbo,
Possibly V-mount the intercooler (as I think it looks A. soooo hot. and B. it'll save me from wrecking my intercooler when I end up hitting a damn kangaroo.)
3" exhaust system
A nice pair of rims, perhaps some S15 stockers, or just some nice Tenzo R Passion 5's or something..

And other random dress up parts like a lip, shaved spoiler, paint the two-tone bumper parts the same colour as the car (When I get the cash to do the paint, flat grey. Mmm) and a vented, perhaps carbon fiber hood, for the intercooler..

ORRRRRRRRRRRRR option 2..

get a CA18DE Silvia and piece together that setup ^ including other parts i need for the swap over a few months and do a buildup and tune. This is more feasible as I can get a cheaper non-turbo Silvia sooner then a more expensive Turbo..

ORRRRRRRRRRR option 3.

get a second gen Integra, put together a turbo kit and pretty much the rest of what I put on the silvia, but more suitable for the integra.. Lip etc..

My goal is to only make around 250 horse to the ground with the CA18, i don't need something with 400-500 horsepower, but something fun to kick around in would be good. I'm not a drifter so I don't need everything needed to drift, but I might go to track days with nissansilvia.com when they hold them - just to have some fun..

I'm looking for reliability and comfort, with some power to have fun in. I'm not looking for a crazy drift or drag car, or something that'll take down Porsches on the track. Just a car to enjoy :)

Sorry for the long post - but I wanted to save the background information I'd get flamed for not posting in the first place..

:love: Beyond.ca inputs.

ex1z7
07-11-2005, 08:41 AM
Instead of editing I thought it'd make me cool to just post a reply. If you have any other idea's that would be just as feasible I'm open to hearing 'em. I've thought of a few random things I could do to have a cool little car..

Like..

a 1997~ Mitsubishi Lancer coupe..
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/324000-324999/324952_5_full.jpg
this thing. (cheap and FWD. Slow too) and drop in a 4G63.. it's close to a direct swap so why not..

a 1987~ Nissan 300ZX..
Perhaps drop in an RB20DET.. or turbo the VG30 if it isn't already.

A 1976 Datsun 240Z..
L28 Turbo swap with all the old-school power adding tricks you can expect from people who do up these cars. Over time perhaps..

A 1992 Mazda Bravo truck..
Throw down a Holden supercharged V6. Not really a huge fan of Mazda engines.. (Sorry, not huge on the 13B either..)

A 1989 Mitsubishi Triton
Same as above. One came in to take an engine home when I was workin' at a garage with the swap noted above. So sexy, so sleeper... Mmmm.

A 1987 Nissan Silvia S12
Just because they're rediculously sexy ;) that boxy look.. Mmmm hot !

All of these I can do for under 10 grand, and can buy the initial car for under 5, which isn't really that hard to save when you work full time and live at home :thumbsup:

If anyone has any other idea's I'd be more then happy to check out a few things, research, I like seeing what gets done and how hard it is..

Thanks in advance :D