PDA

View Full Version : Celeron vs pentium 4?

Chim
07-11-2005, 12:13 PM
I know this sounds really newbie'ish, but I havent been up to the times with computer technology. In the future shop ad, there's a 3.06ghz pentium 4 laptop for $1500. Then a 1.5ghz Celeron for $1300. It says neither are on sale, and the pentium 4 is much better in other aspects (bigger harddrive etc) yet only $200 more.

I've been scoping out laptops for a week or so, and I notice this trend a lot. Is the 3ghz pentium 4 only a small notch better than the 1.5ghz celeron?

sabad66
07-11-2005, 12:16 PM
I don't know how laptop Celeron processors work, but I know that in a desktop, p4's are much better than celerons. For example, if you have a 2 ghz Celeron pc and a 2ghz P4 PC, the P4 will outperform the Celeron by far. I think the only advantage to the Celeron laptop would be the power consumption - i.e how long your battery lasts.

Moonracer
07-11-2005, 12:17 PM
Are you sure it's a celeron and not a centrino?

Genjuro
07-11-2005, 12:18 PM
celeron = hyundai
pentium = honda
amd sampron = mitsubishi
amd athlon = acura

Chim
07-11-2005, 12:21 PM
Hehe its in this week's future shop ad.

Intel Pentium 4 w/ HT 532 (3.06ghz) $1499
Intel Celeron M370 1.56ghz @ $1299

I like the analogy Genjuro hahaha, but this is mind boggling. It's like seeing a hyundai accent for $10000, then an acura TL for $12000......

SikAssR1
07-11-2005, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Genjuro
celeron = hyundai
pentium = honda
amd sampron = mitsubishi
amd athlon = acura

you know when your on a car forum when......:D

Mr. Burns
07-11-2005, 12:27 PM
celeron = hyundai
pentium = honda
amd sampron = mitsubishi
amd athlon = acura

:rofl: :werd:

Moonracer
07-11-2005, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Chim
Hehe its in this week's future shop ad.

Intel Pentium 4 w/ HT 532 (3.06ghz) $1499
Intel Celeron M370 1.56ghz @ $1299

I like the analogy Genjuro hahaha, but this is mind boggling. It's like seeing a hyundai accent for $10000, then an acura TL for $12000......

Well then it's a no brainer as posted above. :nut:

benyl
07-11-2005, 12:56 PM
The thing about Pentium 4s is that they are a Desktop processor put in a laptop. They are power hungry and get hot.

A Centrino is your best bet. Next best is a Celeron M. The Celeron M is specific for cheap laptops.

Depending on what you need the laptop for, I would get the Celeron because your battery will last longer.

If you are going to play games on it, get a desktop.

D'z Nutz
07-11-2005, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by benyl
The thing about Pentium 4s is that they are a Desktop processor put in a laptop. They are power hungry and get hot.

A Centrino is your best bet. Next best is a Celeron M. The Celeron M is specific for cheap laptops.

Depending on what you need the laptop for, I would get the Celeron because your battery will last longer.

If you are going to play games on it, get a desktop.

I couldn't agree with benyl anymore. Don't let the Celeron name fool you. They've come along way from the basic processor they once were a few years ago.

eblend
07-11-2005, 01:11 PM
whatever you do don't get a p4 on a desktop, if the 3 some fans on the laptop don't drive you nuts, the less then 2 hour battery life will.

And whatever you do don't buy a laptop at futureshop, all they care about is making a sale, not about the shit that happens to your laptop after. Go to compusmart and get a good laptop there

rage2
07-11-2005, 01:24 PM
What's wrong with future shop for buying laptops?

Skyline_Addict
07-11-2005, 01:28 PM
celeron = hyundai
pentium = honda
amd sampron = mitsubishi
amd athlon = acura

woo hoo, i drive an acura ;).

that is a very interesting trend to see. from my knowledge of PCs, a pentium 4 will beat a celeron without even trying...i wouldn't think it'd be much different on a laptop, and maybe what you're paying for is better (less) power consumption?

kenny
07-11-2005, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by eblend
Go to compusmart and get a good laptop there

Cuz the laptops there (which come from same suppliers) are magically better :rofl:

Buy where the price is lowest, or whichever place has best return/exchange policies.

eblend
07-11-2005, 01:31 PM
nothing really for buying, but if you want any service after you bought it then you better think twice. I have seen so many horror stories with people trying to get their laptops serviced and getting the worst treatment possible. When an AC adapter dies and is easily tested with a volt meter, how come they open up your laptop and then return it missing 7 screws! or how come they diagnose that wifi card is busted when it works perfectly fine and it was jsut a router problem. They are just a bunch of morons down there service wise. Might as well put your money into a company that will actually repair the laptop for you. Compusmart is an autorized repair place for toshibas and ibms so they are fixed right on site.

Its really up to you but just letting you know that their service is shit

eblend
07-11-2005, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by kenny

Cuz the laptops there (which come from same suppliers) are magically better :rofl:

Buy where the price is lowest, or whichever place has best return/exchange policies.

i didn't mean it in a way to say that the laptop are better in one place over the other, i just ment to get a good laptop and not get one of those emachine lookalikes that they do sell at futureshop. Definately go for where the lowest price is, but remember most retailers will match any advertised price, including compusmart

sabad66
07-11-2005, 01:34 PM
nothing really for buying, but if you want any service after you bought it then you better think twice. I have seen so many horror stories with people trying to get their laptops serviced and getting the worst treatment possible. When an AC adapter dies and is easily tested with a volt meter, how come they open up your laptop and then return it missing 7 screws! or how come they diagnose that wifi card is busted when it works perfectly fine and it was jsut a router problem. They are just a bunch of morons down there service wise. Might as well put your money into a company that will actually repair the laptop for you. Compusmart is an autorized repair place for toshibas and ibms so they are fixed right on site.

Don't you work at Compusmart?

PSJanis
07-11-2005, 08:32 PM
if anything get a Pentium M (or centrino) i have the pentium M and it really puts out a lot for a "battery sipper." I can get a good 3-4 hours out of my battery as is. so unless if you really have no care for battery life, go with a pentium M or centrino...but if ur looking for a desktop replacement laptop and not a traveller, go P4

Kamen
07-11-2005, 11:07 PM
:werd:
Centrino or go home.

Z24_3.1
07-11-2005, 11:10 PM
i have a P4 in my comp and its sweet i like it and i got centrino in my other laptop and its not bad

Lexxan
07-11-2005, 11:15 PM
hahah don't get a celeron. They suck ass. I had a toshiba a70 celeron and it was such a POS.
lovin my new qosmio 1.8 pentium-m

PS.
centrino is not a chip.. it means a package.. it has to be a pentium-m, intel wireless and intel mobo I believe.

eblend
07-12-2005, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by sabad66

Don't you work at Compusmart?

I do and I am not here shamelessly promoting the company or anyhting, I acutally never shopped there myself and whether you do or not doesn't affect me as I am not in sales so I get no commision out of anything that sells. I once was too a futureshop customer but after seeing the stuff that happens down there first hand, I just try to warn others so that they don't experience the same problems that others have.

MidnightDreamer
07-12-2005, 03:08 AM
I just classify the celerons and semphron processors as economy ones... Good bang for the buck. As far as I know an Athalon 2800xp should be able to outhandle a Semphron 3200+... I've only recently gotten back into the world of computers. It's only been a year or two that I've somewhat lost touch and I am now a whole generation behind in technology. All this new stuff like SATA, PCI-E, SLI (both of them), and 64bit OSs are relatively new concepts to me and I am doing my best to get caught up. Can someone explain to me intels new designation scheme for their processors? Like 532 etc... I miss the old days where it was just clock speeds... On a different note, I'm told that this is the first time in history that Moore's law will be broken. This is kind of a scary though... I remember we were basically at the 2GHz clock speeds by the end of 2003... That should put us well into the 4GHz range at this time, but I think the P4 Extreme ed. is the fastest commercially available proc. right now, and I think it's only at something like 3.73GHz or something... I also read somewhere that we're nearing the limits of the technology and processes used to make current processors, and that a new way of developing processors will need to be found eventually in order for them to evolve. I just have one more question, can anyone explain to me what a dual core processor is? It seems that intel is shifting thier focus towards the development of this type of processor.

Chiggles
07-12-2005, 09:40 AM
Celerons are a garbage, entry level only kind of processor if you're using the computer purely for a little bit of web browsing, typing, and e-mail. Anything else that would be graphically intensive or tasks that require multi-tasking would be inappropriate for this engine - it would lag like a bitch and you'd be :banghead: all the time. Generally Celerons are :thumbsdow unless you're using a computer for almost nothing.

Semprons are a touch better than Celeron, but still considered the entry level for AMD. Whereas their Athlon's are much better and are very comparable to P4's. Both are very powerful, and when benchmarked across all sorts of applications, they equal up in the end. With specific tasks though, P4s is a little bit better with multi-tasking and Athlons are better with graphics, especially higher end 3D, FPS games. Put it another way, if you know how math works, P4 is better at integer math and Athlon is better at floating point math. If you can understand how that math relates to computer processing, you'll see the difference.

Centrinos (aka Pentium-M) are still better than Celerons and perhaps even Semprons, but are less powerful than P4s and Athlons. Centrinos are also laptop only processors - you won't find a Centrino on a desktop. The purpose of its design wasn't so much for power as it was for portability and longevity. They consume the battery at a slower rate so you get the longer charge out of the battery (but that may not be an issue for you if you're always going to be someplace where you can just plug it in) and its architecture is such that it allows for a smaller, thinner profile - you get a lighter, slimmer unit to carry around.... usually about 3kg, +/- .3. In the end, this is a good processor to have if you do some bit of multi-tasking and not really using it for games, but more especially if you're picky on weight and/or battery life.

tictactoe2004
07-12-2005, 09:53 AM
Moores law doesnt state that clock speeds will double every two years, it states that transistors will double... and they are.

Dual core processors are, to put it simply, two actual processors that are put on one chip. If your a gamer, you won't care... if you do lots of multi tasking then it will be good for you.

On a side note, I bought my 1.7 P4 in january of 2000, then 1.8 was out, but it was on back order... we basically hit 2.0GHZ in early 2000, not 2003.

Any processor that ends in a 2 or a 8 example, 532 is a 533 FSB processor. If it starts with a 6, example 650 its a 64bit ready 2mb L2 cache P4. If it ends with a 1, example 531 it's a 800 FSB 64-bit ready, but still only a 1MB cache.

Lastly, if you want a good deal on a laptop, PM and i'll set you up.

b_t
07-12-2005, 10:05 AM
Stay away from Pentium 4 laptops. Even in power saving mode, my Toshiba with a P4 can only go about 2 hours 15 minutes before calling it quits and shutting off.
As far as the Moore's Law thing goes, AMD currently has a 4800+ dual core out right now but I'm not sure if that qualifies as a doubling of power since the real clock speed is not that fast.
Pentium Ms in desktops... uhh yeah http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050525/pentium4-01.html Pentium M in a desktop application outperforms the Pentium 4 and even the Athlon 64 FX-55.

D'z Nutz
07-12-2005, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Chiggles

Centrinos (aka Pentium-M) are still better than Celerons and perhaps even Semprons, but are less powerful than P4s and Athlons. Centrinos are also laptop only processors - you won't find a Centrino on a desktop. The purpose of its design wasn't so much for power as it was for portability and longevity. They consume the battery at a slower rate so you get the longer charge out of the battery (but that may not be an issue for you if you're always going to be someplace where you can just plug it in) and its architecture is such that it allows for a smaller, thinner profile - you get a lighter, slimmer unit to carry around.... usually about 3kg, +/- .3. In the end, this is a good processor to have if you do some bit of multi-tasking and not really using it for games, but more especially if you're picky on weight and/or battery life.

Uhhh, no. Your explanation is a bit off. Centrinos are not processors. Centrino is the name of Intel's Pentium-M processor, integrated wireless, and power saving architecture. And yes, the purpose of its design is for power. Intel's Speedstep system allows the processor to adjust its clock speed according to the process requirements. If you're doing something simple like typing up an email, you do not need your processor running at full speed the way traditional processors do. So the Pentium-M processor will lower its clockspeed (thus saving power and heat).

Edit: Oh wait, I guess maybe you meant power as in processing power and not power consumption, which is what I was referring to. I was wonder why you mentioned power and longevity together! Hahaha

rage2
07-12-2005, 10:27 AM

Why would you take a laptop to a non authorized repair shop? After I buy my Toshibas from future shop, I take them to an authorized repair depot for service, not future shop. Hell, if Compusmart is an authorized repair shop, I can take it there and have them fix it too. They can't say no to warranty work. I don't even think Future shop will try to repair any laptops that's under warranty.

As for pricing, Future shop is ALWAYS cheaper than Compusmart, about $100-$500 depending on the model. I buy 2-3 laptops a month, and go to compusmart when I'm lazy because I live a block away. They always have to pricematch futureshop for me.

Buy where it's cheapest, get warranty work done where they do it best. Besides, Toshibas rarely have issues (except for the service bulletin for the dreaded static problems on the Satellite A70's). I think I've only had to take 1 in for a dead hard drive, and about 10 A70's in for the static service bulletin.

rage2
07-12-2005, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Lexxan
hahah don't get a celeron. They suck ass. I had a toshiba a70 celeron and it was such a POS.
We have a shitload of A70's at work. Other than them needing to go in for a static guard installed (factory recall/service bulletin), they work great for our sales and development team. They have to compile shit on there! Of course, it's not as fast as our P4 workstations, but they are NOT slow. Good balance for the guys that need mobility as well.

Originally posted by Chiggles
Celerons are a garbage, entry level only kind of processor if you're using the computer purely for a little bit of web browsing, typing, and e-mail. Anything else that would be graphically intensive or tasks that require multi-tasking would be inappropriate for this engine - it would lag like a bitch and you'd be :banghead: all the time. Generally Celerons are :thumbsdow unless you're using a computer for almost nothing.
See my post above. Our Celeron laptops here do a hell of a lot more than web browsing, typing and email.

eblend
07-12-2005, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Why would you take a laptop to a non authorized repair shop? After I buy my Toshibas from future shop, I take them to an authorized repair depot for service, not future shop. Hell, if Compusmart is an authorized repair shop, I can take it there and have them fix it too. They can't say no to warranty work. I don't even think Future shop will try to repair any laptops that's under warranty.

As for pricing, Future shop is ALWAYS cheaper than Compusmart, about $100-$500 depending on the model. I buy 2-3 laptops a month, and go to compusmart when I'm lazy because I live a block away. They always have to pricematch futureshop for me.

Buy where it's cheapest, get warranty work done where they do it best. Besides, Toshibas rarely have issues (except for the service bulletin for the dreaded static problems on the Satellite A70's). I think I've only had to take 1 in for a dead hard drive,
and about 10 A70's in for the static service bulletin.

Yah i know futureshop can be cheaper, but many people buy there and then go back there for service and after getting ripped there and not fixing the problem they send em out way. And you guys would be surpriced at how many problems toshiba does have. We get about 10 A70s or any other variation of a toshiba laptop with a blue lid a day, and yes there is a recall on the static problem, but we recieve 3-5 motherboards a day for those damn things as well, because motherboard issues are also huge on those suckers. A70, i feel sorry for whoever gets one.

GucciBoy
07-12-2005, 02:37 PM

I do and I am not here shamelessly promoting the company or anyhting, I acutally never shopped there myself and whether you do or not doesn't affect me as I am not in sales so I get no commision out of anything that sells. I once was too a futureshop customer but after seeing the stuff that happens down there first hand, I just try to warn others so that they don't experience the same problems that others have.

I would be interested in hearing about some of them stories. I have a 3yr warranty through FS on my laptop. The last thing I need is to have to wait 60 days it, sitting in their shop until toshiba sends me a brand new one.

But Ive heard alot of people taking advantage of their "bring it in 3 times and the 4th time you get a brand new replacement off thier current shelf" policy. I dont think its as easy as they make it sound.

Anyone care to comment on FS warranty and the "brand new one one over the counter, when you bring it in 3 times" policy

BTW eblend, theyre plenty of auth. toshiba service dealers. I have a toshiba and have had to take it in 2x so far for minor stuff to get replaced (keyboard etc). It was on site and didnt even have to leave the lappy there. Just called the guy with my serial, and he called me when the part arrived, thus I only had to make one trip down there :)

GucciBoy
07-12-2005, 02:43 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by eblend

A70, i feel sorry for whoever gets one. [/QUOTE

LOL Same. I had one back in Aug. when it first came out, the biggest factor that sold me on it? The price! But quickly changed it for a centrino, the thing was a beast and didnt perform all that well. I knew about 6 or 7 other people who had an A70 but then changed it for a centrino as well.

A70 wwwwwway too big for a laptop. Reminded me of the old 1990 IBM thinkpads.

old&slow
07-12-2005, 05:15 PM
celeron = hyundai
pentium = honda
amd sampron = mitsubishi
amd athlon = acura

That's a nice description!:bigpimp:

Chiggles
07-13-2005, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Uhhh, no. Your explanation is a bit off. Centrinos are not processors. Centrino is the name of Intel's Pentium-M processor, integrated wireless, and power saving architecture. And yes, the purpose of its design is for power. Intel's Speedstep system allows the processor to adjust its clock speed according to the process requirements. If you're doing something simple like typing up an email, you do not need your processor running at full speed the way traditional processors do. So the Pentium-M processor will lower its clockspeed (thus saving power and heat).

Edit: Oh wait, I guess maybe you meant power as in processing power and not power consumption, which is what I was referring to. I was wonder why you mentioned power and longevity together! Hahaha

LOL, yeah, I meant processing power in the first place. And I realize Centrino is the collection of the Pentium-M, integrated wireless, and power saving as a whole.... was just over-simplifying is all, but got the point across. :P

MidnightDreamer
08-02-2005, 01:48 AM
What does the D in Celeron D stand for? Is it just a marketing gimick?

And yea, my bad... Moores law is transistors doubling, not power.

I suppose I still have a lot of catching up to do. Does anyone have a good website that describes all these new processor naming conventions? tictactoe2004's explanation is good but really brief, I want to know all of the conventions.

eblend
08-02-2005, 10:48 AM
intel and their none sense naming scheme is really gonna screw them over, with amd at least you know the higher the numebr the better the processor, with intel hell lower numbers processors are sometimes better then the higher numbered ones, go figure, hate intel anyways

Daxin
08-06-2005, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Toshibas rarely have issues (except for the service bulletin for the dreaded static problems on the Satellite A70's). I think I've only had to take 1 in for a dead hard drive, and about 10 A70's in for the static service bulletin.

what exactly is the static problem? Static build up causing the Mother Board to FUBAR? I've looked in the Toshiba site and I see no notice. Can you give me link plz?

eblend
08-06-2005, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Daxin

what exactly is the static problem? Static build up causing the Mother Board to FUBAR? I've looked in the Toshiba site and I see no notice. Can you give me link plz?

the static just shocks the motherboard causing it to freeeze until restarted