PDA

View Full Version : Muffler ground wire

hinggu
01-23-2003, 10:53 PM
I had my muffler done at a muffler shop and they put on some kind of braided wire from the muffler to the chasis. What the heck is this thing for?

GTS Jeff
01-23-2003, 10:57 PM
maybe its a sensor? :dunno:

haha when i clicked this i was afraid that i would be reading about those antistatic things fobs drag under their cars

hinggu
01-23-2003, 11:00 PM
Its wierd cuz it is bolted from the muffler clamp to the chasis. somebody told me it was for grounding the car since the muffler produces positive charges and this increases the chance for lightning striking your car. I don't think so

GTS Jeff
01-23-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by hinggu
Its wierd cuz it is bolted from the muffler clamp to the chasis. somebody told me it was for grounding the car since the muffler produces positive charges and this increases the chance for lightning striking your car. I don't think so a car is impervious to lightning. electricity doesnt go thru rubber.

szw
01-23-2003, 11:04 PM
If the part about positive charges built-up in your muffler are true, maybe its there just so it won't spark up and ignite some unburned fuel!

kaput
01-23-2003, 11:07 PM

hinggu
01-23-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
a car is impervious to lightning. electricity doesnt go thru rubber.
Thats why I didn't think that was correct.

hinggu
01-23-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by kaput
Maybe they know their work sucks, and they're expecting the muffler to fall off. They tied it to the chasis so when it does come apart, it won't kill anyone and they can't get sued for millions.
Well, I guess i should reword. The muffler itself is not tied to the chasis, it is the muffler clamp

88 CRX
01-23-2003, 11:35 PM
I pretty sure it's to prevent the muffler from rusting out.

nismodrifter
01-23-2003, 11:41 PM
might be a sacraficial anode :D

chem diploma next week....does it show that I am prepared hehehe

Glowrider
01-24-2003, 01:26 AM
Maybe to ground it while they were welding the muffler on. :dunno:

hinggu
01-24-2003, 11:10 AM
That's another thing that I wonder. Why do they pop your hood and put that thing on your battery before they weld?? Is it just to prevent them from getting electricuted??

Glowrider
01-24-2003, 11:12 AM
Most likely.

350hp_or_Bust
01-24-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
a car is impervious to lightning. electricity doesnt go thru rubber.

Very not true. If lightning hits a car, it'll go through it and then
arc to the ground past the tires. You're safe inside a car from lightning though, but only because it is 90% metal.

Originally posted by 88 CRX
I pretty sure it's to prevent the muffler from rusting out.

I'm not exactly sure why the ground is there, but that sounds believable. ... It could also be an auxillary ground for the O2 sensors. :dunno:

Originally posted by hinggu
That's another thing that I wonder. Why do they pop your hood and put that thing on your battery before they weld?? Is it just to prevent them from getting electricuted??

So they don't blow your battery up.

m@+CH
01-24-2003, 11:25 AM
why would u need a groudn for the muffler..
wut r u gonna do
lose hp cause u're muffler is not grounde??
haha
i dun't get it
hmm i have no idea!!

Glowrider
01-24-2003, 11:28 AM
Like I said before...
The guy welding the muffler on probably grounded it so he wouldn't electricute himself. Probably forgot to remove it once he was done.

350hp_or_Bust
01-24-2003, 11:37 AM
no. welders have their own ground wire you clamp to the piece you're working on. most vehicles have this ground wire he's talking about. Its just a thin braided cable .. usually flat. Definitely not large enough to ground a welder current.

hinggu
01-24-2003, 11:40 AM
Yeah, the wire on my car is a flat braided wire... my buddy got it done somewhere else and they didn't put one on. But then I see lots of vehicles with this

FN49
01-24-2003, 02:38 PM
The thing they put on your battery is to protect the battery. I am not sure why some exhausts have that ground strap on them but my cars do. My Mark V even has ground straps coming of the front fenders.

civic_stylez
01-24-2003, 08:05 PM
to me it sounds like a hookup for an exhaust temp gauge. seems kinda weird tho, call them up and ask what the hell it is!