PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy a Motorola V60C refurb from Telus?

Pacman
07-12-2005, 12:05 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm really out of touch on which cells phones are good these days.

My contract just ended with Telus, and my current LG phone sucks donkey balls, so I just want to buy a basic good quality phone to use.

I want to stay with Telus so I can keep my current phone #.

I don't care about fancy color screens, built in digital cameras, text messaging, fancy ring tones, screen savers, games etc.

I just want a phone that will have good battery length, good sound quality and good reception.

I'm looking at the Telus website and they have Motorola V60C refurbished phones for $150.

What are your thoughts on this phone?
Is it a bad idea to buy a refurb?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Pacman

Weapon_R
07-12-2005, 12:07 PM
That is a pretty outdated phone with poor features. The sound quality and reception are good, but nothing special especially by today's standards.

So no, you should not buy a refurb Telus V60 phone.

Pacman
07-12-2005, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the reply.
Is there a phone in the current Telus lineup that you could recommend?

Thanks
James

Weapon_R
07-12-2005, 12:16 PM
Unfortunately, I do not have enough experience with Telus phones to make a recommendation, although there are many individuals here who either work with telus, or have gone through a fair number of telephones through telus.

Davetronz
07-12-2005, 12:55 PM
Meh, I used my V60 for around 2 years. It was a great little compact phone but I had major battery/charging issues as it got older.

FiveFreshFish
07-12-2005, 12:57 PM
:hijack:
How is the Motorola V262? It's a basic phone for $200 brand new without a contract.

http://www.telusmobility.com/bc/pcs/handset_motorola_v262.shtml

BokCh0y
07-12-2005, 01:21 PM
I'd go with the V710. Has the most up-to-date technology plus it also supports a trans-flash card which increases your memory by 128-256mb of ram depending on what card you purchase. Phone also has the built in camera, color screen and can play mp3's. Huge address book and calendar as well. As far as reception goes I've had mine for about a month now and I get excellent reception and my battery lasts for days even with regular talking.

I know last month they had a promotion on for the V710's which was $200 for the phone but am not sure if it is still on. Thing is if you go with the V710 you will probably have to sign up for another contract unless you buy out the phone but you do get to keep your current number. Just make sure if this is the route you want to go - meaning sign another contract - when you go to pickup the new phone. Also make sure you mention acquisition pricing. Guess that way you get the phone for cheaper and do not have to open a new contract.....or at least that's what i was told by the telus people and that's what i actually did.

The V60C however is a really good phone. I had a V60 for the last 3 years before the v710 and i must say, that was the toughest, strongest, by far the best phone i've had so far. But it is terribly outdated. As far as the charging issues - yes i too noticed a lot of degradation as the phone aged as well even with new replacement oem batteries.

Hope this helps.

Xtrema
07-12-2005, 02:40 PM
Charging $150 for a refurb 3yr old model is pretty outragous.

Roger's refurb of newer models usually goes around $25- $100.

wildrice
07-12-2005, 02:43 PM
how bout the lg 3200?
150 brand new w/o contract.

Clever
07-13-2005, 11:59 AM
LG 3200 is one of the most serviced phone on the Telus line up right now, everyone i've spoken too that does service for Telus Mobility said the same thing. I had good luck with my v60, i still have it for a back up phone.

Def_3
07-13-2005, 12:36 PM
feel free to pm me, regarding used and refurb equipment, urban rice still dont have anything in your price range:thumbsup:

Originally posted by Clever
LG 3200 is one of the most serviced phone on the Telus line up right now, everyone i've spoken too that does service for Telus Mobility said the same thing. I had good luck with my v60, i still have it for a back up phone.

disagree completly, i do not see that phone service alot at all

HRD2PLZ
07-13-2005, 12:55 PM
I liked my V60 for a basic phone. I hate phones with camera's and organizers and whatnot built-in to them. I much prefer to have my phone, digital camera and pocket pc separate.
The one thing I don't like about my V3 is the fact that is has the stupid camera and organizer in it :)

I do think $150 for a refurbished V60C is outrageous, but if you want a good quality, basic phone the V60 would get my :thumbsup:

Khyron
07-13-2005, 01:56 PM
I thought you were allowed to take your cell number with you when you switched providers, or has that not come into effect yet? Or maybe it was using res # on a cell?

Khyron

BokCh0y
07-13-2005, 02:38 PM
i don't think that has come into affect yet. i heard rumors that soon we will be able to "take" our numbers with us but i think it's still in the works. Suppossed to happen within the next year or so.

BebeAphrodite
07-13-2005, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Def_3

disagree completly, i do not see that phone service alot at all

I completely disagree with this statement. The 3200 is the glitchiest phone imo on the current Telus line followed closely by the 6070. I used to work at a company that has one of the best service centres in Calgary for Telus and I can say hands down, it's the phone that I've seen come in the most. I am currently with another company who is also a product care centre and it's still the most frequent phone I see come in. There are tons of people who need software upgrades but it still doesn't fix the problem. It's also the most frequently DOAed phone in my experience (I've worked at three Telus companies at 12 locations in total).

---

Back on topic, I think $150 for the old v60 is a bad deal - considering that some v60s were great for some people and some v60s were a lemon for others. So you'd be risking that factor as well.

I'd say try the LG 4600 or the Samsung 650 (from personal experience - these are my favourites on the line).

TaiChino
07-13-2005, 09:29 PM
I thought the v60 was a good phone, it is a little outdated, and the antennas seemed to break on everyones, so watch out for that.

Def_3
07-15-2005, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by BebeAphrodite

I completely disagree with this statement. The 3200 is the glitchiest phone imo on the current Telus line followed closely by the 6070. I used to work at a company that has one of the best service centres in Calgary for Telus and I can say hands down, it's the phone that I've seen come in the most. I am currently with another company who is also a product care centre and it's still the most frequent phone I see come in. There are tons of people who need software upgrades but it still doesn't fix the problem. It's also the most frequently DOAed phone in my experience (I've worked at three Telus companies at 12 locations in total).

---

Back on topic, I think $150 for the old v60 is a bad deal - considering that some v60s were great for some people and some v60s were a lemon for others. So you'd be risking that factor as well.

I'd say try the LG 4600 or the Samsung 650 (from personal experience - these are my favourites on the line).

ive had alot more issues with the charging of the 6070, and for me overall the 6190 was by far the best and still is, ive owned the v710, i700, 6600 and none have been as good! where do you work? Tac?

Def_3
07-15-2005, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Khyron
I thought you were allowed to take your cell number with you when you switched providers, or has that not come into effect yet? Or maybe it was using res # on a cell?

Khyron # portability for cell phones has been finally approved, wont be here till around 2007 though:thumbsup:

koopkoop2
07-16-2005, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by BebeAphrodite

Yeah, I can vouch for the LG4600. I own one and it's a great phone. It'll look fresh for a long time because of the colourful outer screen. Most of the phones coming out are still stuck with the bland indiglo background and grey text.

FiveFreshFish
07-16-2005, 01:10 AM
My LG4600 licks donkey balls for this reason:

I can't see the main screen with my polarized sunglasses because the display is polarized the wrong way. And no, it's not the fault of the shades because I tried other brands of polarized sunglasses and got the same result. No problem with Motorola displays.

:thumbsdow

FiveFreshFish
07-16-2005, 01:11 AM
Forgot to attach the proof:

962 kid
07-16-2005, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Forgot to attach the proof:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: haha that sucks