PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy cheap Dumbells?

Arisilde
07-12-2005, 08:06 PM
Pretty self-explanatory. My mom is looking for some decent weights (Nothing to heavy) to do some exercises around the house, cause she wants to do a bit of working out but health-wise she's a bit limited, so mainly looking for dumbells. I'm also looking to get some, just for missed workout or for like chest/tri or back/bi days I can do one in the morning at home when I get up and the other in the evening at the gym.

Been checking out SportMart, Sportcheck, Buysell.com (Bargain Finder website), among other places. They are other going for $100+ for sets with only two of each 2.5, 5, and 10. Or used people are mainly selling stuff for around the same price, or full sets of dumbells, barbells, weights, and bench for $200+. All I'm really looking for is some 5, 10, 20, 30, 40's, or if anyone has even seen a rip-off of them for a decent price, something like those Bowflex Select Tech dumbells.

So taking a chance here, but anyone have any idea on used fitness equipment stores, other stores I can maybe get a decent deal? Or best bet to just keep the dumbells and locks I've got on hand and going around to some pawn shops and picking up some plates? Thanks for any help!

hockeybronx
07-12-2005, 11:00 PM
Canadian Tire is pretty good for a lot of those small items such as plates, bars, dumbells etc.

V6-BoI
07-13-2005, 03:16 AM
Check Wal-Mart, they have some pretty cheap weights there.

TrevorK
07-13-2005, 08:43 AM
Superstore has cheap weights.

Tyler883
07-13-2005, 10:00 AM
I'm thinking that the hex dumbells at fitness depot are about 60-80 cents per pound. And, this is actually a pretty good price, because a place like Canadian Tire sells there plates for
over $1 a pound.

But, will you mom use ugly dumbells or is it better for her to buy a set of the lady's dumbells(ie colorfull and pretty)? If it's
the later, I'll bet your best prices for a lady's set are at some of the places mentioned above.

BTW, if you are looking for a humungus set of dumbells for yourself, I'd consider a power block system. Sure they are over $450 but they replace about 1000+ lbs of fixed dumbells.

Arisilde
07-14-2005, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to check out some of those places. And no, she doesn't really care what they look like. Frankly, I'd rather have something not colorful and pretty but atleast sharp looking and nice, she'd use chunks of rock and steel rods taped together if that's what we had, lol. I'll check out some of those places, thanks for the ideas guys.

bball2
07-30-2005, 10:27 PM
Check out some garage/moving sales.

Today I got a dumbell / barbell set for 25$. Came with bench + 155.5 lbs of weights too :)