PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Really old DOS/Win95 laptop

b_t
07-13-2005, 06:53 PM
I'm looking for a really old laptop. Not a gigantic one that weighs like 70 pounds and is big as a briefcase, but one that is either native DOS or Windows 95/98 and can boot into a pure DOS mode (so one from the mid to late 90s I guess). It needs to have pure DOS available in some way, and a serial port, and that's it.

Stine
07-13-2005, 08:15 PM
well a bit off topic but it may help you out if you do find a laptop

FreeDos is a project to keep DOS alive, supports more sounds cards modems that sorta thing and its free

http://www.freedos.org/

well hope you find what your lookin for!

SupraFly
07-13-2005, 09:16 PM
i got a toshiba tecra 500cdt if ur interested

AllGoNoShow
07-13-2005, 11:24 PM
Compaq LTE 5200, reliable when power is plugged in, battery shot on it, came with Dos and Win95, currently has FreeBSD on it but could throw on Freedos if your intersted in that.

b_t
07-14-2005, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Stine
well a bit off topic but it may help you out if you do find a laptop

FreeDos is a project to keep DOS alive, supports more sounds cards modems that sorta thing and its free

http://www.freedos.org/

well hope you find what your lookin for!

thanks for pointing that out :) it looks like it would kick ass for retro gaming. I might have to put that on my old Win95 desktop upstairs..
but having sound card support and modem support is of no importance with this laptop :D I just need to it to tune my standalone, and apparently while I can run the software in a DOS box, windows gets in the way of the serial functions the program relies on and it will randomly delete my tune or change it.

soupey
07-14-2005, 05:52 PM
ive got one, but it doesnt have a hard drive, i guess u cud pick up an old laptop hd for pretty cheap (the hard drive it used to take was bigger than the more modern laptop hard drives u get, the new ones are about a third as thick)....pm me if u want it

soupey
07-14-2005, 05:52 PM
oh and its a dell, i think a pentium 133 or smthn

hash
08-11-2005, 09:50 AM
Like everyone else, i have an old one kickin around too. ;)

- Toshiba Satellite Pro
- 100mhz pentium
- 40mb ram (upgraded)
- removable cd rom and floppy (with an external adapter for the fdd)
- 33.3k pcmcia modem.
- i can throw in a 10/100 pcmcia NIC if you want as well.
- battery is dead (like most of these ancient ones).

pm me if you're still looking for one.

dsmturbo
08-11-2005, 10:04 AM
I have a friend that has a few kicking around..I think a couple IBM Thinkpads and Toshibas perhaps..cheap. (I would guess like $40-$70 or so)And I am sure one would have a decent battery..you do need one to run on battery I assume and not just AC?

PM and I can find out.

megavolt
08-11-2005, 12:47 PM
I've got a couple of omnibook 800CT subnotebooks around that I could get in working order.
Pentium 166MMX
16M memory (upgradable to 80M)

only thing is that all of it's peripherals are external, and I don't have a floppy or cdrom to spare.

Depending on options you would want I'd say I'd want somewhere around $75-100.