PDA

View Full Version : eclipse vs. prelude let me hear your imput

des10
07-13-2005, 07:46 PM
im looking to buy a car very sooon. I want a 98 prelude i really like the looks of them but i also like the eclipse but i also want sumthing that is quite fast. what would be my best bet when choosing between these two cars?

CRX-R
07-13-2005, 07:48 PM
Eclipse Turbo. DSM... Just make sure you've got some savings to keep it on the road...:D

-KiTtY- boo
07-13-2005, 08:03 PM
^^^ i agree.. eclipse for sure.. and prolly nicer lookin then the prelude IMO, u dont see too many eclipse's on the road either which is another bonus
but just like CRX-R said... make sure to have extra money for it:thumbsup:

RUQUIKR
07-13-2005, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by CRX-R
Eclipse Turbo. DSM... Just make sure you've got some savings to keep it on the road...:D

Its funny because its true. DSM's are like swinging a bat in a china shop, the faster you go the more stuff you break. I'd take the turbo Eclipse if your looking for something to modify.

CRX-R
07-13-2005, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by RUQUIKR

DSM's are like swinging a bat in a china shop, the faster you go the more stuff you break.

HAHA, wasn't that someone's sig at one time?? Maybe still is! I was thinking about that and trying to remember it when I posted the first time :thumbsup: Thanks

Z24_3.1
07-13-2005, 08:12 PM
i love my 90 dsm lol id go with DSM :D:D:DD:

des10
07-13-2005, 08:23 PM
do they break quite a bit orr? haha cause i definatly dont want something thats going to have to be fixed everyday!

euro_racer
07-13-2005, 08:37 PM
wont break everyday....but something will break down and many of the times (by my and a couple friend's experiences) it will be something expencive?:dunno:

if u are looking into a DSM, i would suggest looking into a 1st gen so you wont have a greater risk of "crank walk" occouring

-KiTtY- boo
07-13-2005, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by des10
do they break quite a bit orr? haha cause i definatly dont want something thats going to have to be fixed everyday!

its not a FORD!!!.. as long as u take good care of it and have proper maintenance and u dont drive the shit out of it every day ull be fine.
ur gonna be fixing it, juss a little more then other cars.. .but then again it also depends on how u treat it

dkny_stylez
07-13-2005, 09:07 PM
get a 96-99 eclipse gsx:thumbsup:

EK 2.0
07-13-2005, 09:12 PM
Speaking as a Ex AVID DSMer...

Buy the Honda. It can be beat to shit, its reliable, inexpensive to repair. And yeah maybe they are a dime a dozen, but you will have the satisfaction of knowing that your car will not give you any serious issues, and that no matter what, day in and day out it will be there for you.

CryoCarnage
07-13-2005, 09:42 PM
Eclipse hands down. Nothing like AWD Burnout :thumbsup:

Primer_Drift
07-13-2005, 09:50 PM
Buy the lude, you won't be disappointed. Its fast enough for what it is.

88CRX
07-13-2005, 10:12 PM
honda fo life :thumbsup:

DeeCEE101
07-13-2005, 11:19 PM
I would go with the eclipse... but I could be a little biased... <-----

403Gemini
07-14-2005, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
Speaking as a Ex AVID DSMer...

Buy the Honda. It can be beat to shit, its reliable, inexpensive to repair. And yeah maybe they are a dime a dozen, but you will have the satisfaction of knowing that your car will not give you any serious issues, and that no matter what, day in and day out it will be there for you.

agree, not including arif here, i have had 3 other friends own dsm's and all ended up selling them outta frustration with repairs.

go honda, wont be as fast, but has sick aftermarket so you can make it "different" and is reliable.

sabad66
07-14-2005, 02:08 AM
Prelude all the way. They have awesome potential and imo, look wayy better.

A_3
07-14-2005, 05:48 AM
Honda :thumbsup:, can't beat reliability, and you still don't see too many moded Preludes out there, it wouldn't have to look like every other one on the road.

heavyD
07-14-2005, 07:46 AM
I may be a little biased but I would go with a 97-99 Eclipse turbo. Easily better looking and faster than any Honda ever made outside of the S2000. I have two DSM's and they have been just as reliable as the two Honda's I preveously owned. DSM's are certainly higher maintenance but so are all turbocharged cars. Parts are relatively cheap and readily available and you dont have to spend $10K+ to make it real fast like you do with Honda's. It's a nice feeling to actually feel a power increase from a $750 cat-back exhaust as that's what you get with a DSM, on a Honda you just made your car louder and even possibly slower.

There is a catch 22 with owning a Honda. If you keep it stock your car will be as anonymous as a cavalier or neon. If you mod the exhaust or put on a body kit, everyone over 22 years of age will call you a ricer or Honda boy. This was one of the reasons I sold mine and probably won't ever go back. I got tired of being bugged by my friends and co-workers. Also Honda's aren't indestructible like alot of people would have you believe. I had interior fit & finish problems with both of my Honda's, failed water pumps, oil leakage fom cam seals, oil consumption, etc. Sure they were both good solid cars but I don't miss them a bit and would never go back as I've had so much more fun with my Eclipse.

Since you said you wanted something quite fast, the Eclipse is the choice and it also looks much nicer. I get tonnes of people always commenting on my Eclipse, asking "what car is that", "nice car", or stopping to take a look at it. People yawn when they see a Honda, even if it has a nice body kit. Only problem is that it's getting hard to find a 97-99 Eclipse that's not an RS or GS.

b_t
07-14-2005, 07:58 AM
If you want an Eclipse, bring it in from the States. For $10500usd and budget about $2000cdn (if you need to ship), you could get an outrageously fast GSX. Look on http://www.dsmtuners.com/ if you want to find some tuned Eclipses, otherwise search on autotrader.com and input area code 98101 (Seattle, Washington) and then use that to find cars that are within driving distance and will save you the huge shipping fee.

If you treat it well, your Eclipse will not break nearly as much as people make them out to... everybody always buys the 1g, which have over 100,000 miles on them and has probably been owned by a couple teenagers who bagged them to shit and ghetto modded them, so its no wonder they start breaking. So far the only thing wrong with mine is the coolant temp. sensor isn't reading properly anymore, and it flooded the car once and it didn't start when it was -25, but my car also only had 52,000km on it when I bought it and I knew exactly who had owned it since it was new. It is also an ESi, but whatever... anything but a Honda.

For about $8500 plus shipping you could get a turbocharged RS or GS Eclipse that has over 300whp, if you wanted to go that route.

heavyD
07-14-2005, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by b_t
If you treat it well, your Eclipse will not break nearly as much as people make them out to... everybody always buys the 1g, which have over 100,000 miles on them and has probably been owned by a couple teenagers who bagged them to shit and ghetto modded them, so its no wonder they start breaking.

Yeah I was going to mention that also as it so true. Guys like EK always fail to tell people that their DSM was 14-15 years old when they compare to their 7 year old N/A honda that's never seen positive pressure in its intake manifold.

talonboi
07-14-2005, 08:30 AM
go with eclipse! dsm is unreliable only if u negelect it

EK 2.0
07-14-2005, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
Yeah I was going to mention that also as it so true. Guys like EK always fail to tell people that their DSM was 14-15 years old when they compare to their 7 year old N/A honda that's never seen positive pressure in its intake manifold.

BTW, my DSM was 15 years old and saw a LOT of positive pressure in the Intake Manifold...;)

I am not saying MY DSM was bad, BUT...they are a lot more maintaince than your regular car, and THAT is what kills the DSM's...the kids out there don't wanna give them the up-keep they need, and perhaps deserve. So they build a bad, bad reputation.

If he is not willing to be prepared for the little things that pop-up and slowly diminish the bank account. Than perhaps a Honda is better suited.

1-Bar
07-14-2005, 12:22 PM
I love my 00 lude....a lot of ex-lude owners probably would agree, they always like the comfort and feel of it. But if speed is the main thing get the eclipse. As for me, I'd be driving slow and rockin' the wheels in my avatar :D

I think your best bet is to take a test drive in both cars and see which one you like best.....I mean you can take all these people's opinions and take them with you on the test drive, but its you yourself who has to make the purchase...

heavyD
07-14-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
I am not saying MY DSM was bad, BUT...they are a lot more maintaince than your regular car, and THAT is what kills the DSM's...the kids out there don't wanna give them the up-keep they need, and perhaps deserve. So they build a bad, bad reputation.

I know what you're saying. You just have to make sure the person who previously owned the car maintained it properly & didn't bag it to shit. I'm really dilligent as I check fluids weekly, etc. It all stems from my paranoia that my cars could be re-incarnated by the ghost of the 1986 Daytona Turbo Z. :thumbsdow

asp integra
07-15-2005, 10:17 PM
both are good choices, on the one hand u have a sick awd turbo car, and the other a reliable honda, id say go with eclipse cause of turbo

Skyline_Addict
07-18-2005, 03:03 AM
I may be a little biased but I would go with a 97-99 Eclipse turbo. Easily better looking and faster than any Honda ever made outside of the S2000. I have two DSM's and they have been just as reliable as the two Honda's I preveously owned. DSM's are certainly higher maintenance but so are all turbocharged cars. Parts are relatively cheap and readily available and you dont have to spend $10K+ to make it real fast like you do with Honda's. It's a nice feeling to actually feel a power increase from a $750 cat-back exhaust as that's what you get with a DSM, on a Honda you just made your car louder and even possibly slower.

There is a catch 22 with owning a Honda. If you keep it stock your car will be as anonymous as a cavalier or neon. If you mod the exhaust or put on a body kit, everyone over 22 years of age will call you a ricer or Honda boy. This was one of the reasons I sold mine and probably won't ever go back. I got tired of being bugged by my friends and co-workers. Also Honda's aren't indestructible like alot of people would have you believe. I had interior fit &amp; finish problems with both of my Honda's, failed water pumps, oil leakage fom cam seals, oil consumption, etc. Sure they were both good solid cars but I don't miss them a bit and would never go back as I've had so much more fun with my Eclipse.

Since you said you wanted something quite fast, the Eclipse is the choice and it also looks much nicer. I get tonnes of people always commenting on my Eclipse, asking &quot;what car is that&quot;, &quot;nice car&quot;, or stopping to take a look at it. People yawn when they see a Honda, even if it has a nice body kit. Only problem is that it's getting hard to find a 97-99 Eclipse that's not an RS or GS.

Yes, the Eclipse is outright the faster car of the two, but that doesn't mean the Prelude should be bagged on for being just another slow Honda with no styling. Styling will always be something that's subjective, and IMO the Prelude is one of the nicest (in terms of styling) sporty coupes in it's class. I think it looks better than the Eclipse.

The Eclipse is a faster car then the Prelude, but that doesn't make the Prelude a slow car by any standards. It is definetely faster than the average car (or average Honda) in it's year. The Prelude has a pretty potent engine and is a quick car, FWD and lots of weight being it's only set backs for speed. That being said, the Prelude has awesome handling, which is more so the Prelude's strength than it is power.

Regarding the "catch 22" comment, I think the Prelude kind of escapes this category for the most part. It's definetely not a common car on the road (atleast by Honda standards). I don't believe the Prelude is recognized as any Civic or Integra out there, and why should it be. I think most people recognize that the Prelude is a much more refined vehicle than the previously mentioned cars (bar the ITR) and give it some respect. That being said, there are alot of nice Preludes out there, which get the respect they deserve (take 1-Bar, buh_buh and richardchan2002 to name but a few of many examples). If you were so bothered by what your friends said about your car, maybe you need to look yourself in the mirror and ask yourself why. because there's nothing wrong with driving a Honda no matter how much your friends bugged you about it.

They are both good cars, but are both quite different. You just have to look at the differences and see which ones suit you more (many of the differences were mentioned in this thread already) :). The most important thing when you get your car is that YOU like it! When I went car shopping a few months ago, I knew the Prelude was the car that was just for me, at this stage in my life. My feeling now and in the future is that I will never regret choosing the Prelude. I'm 20 years old, still in school and I wanted a car with good styling, and commendable performance. The most important thing for me was reliability though, as I can't afford to spend alot of money on a car just to fix it. The car had just the right amount of everything I was looking for in a car, and for the price. This are the things you should be looking at, des10.

In a couple years I will looking to get a non FWD and most likely a turbo charged car. :D

2.0turbo
07-18-2005, 06:23 PM
the last gen ludes are pretty sweet, as nice to look at as a eclipse. And there really isn't that much around. The only one that would offer any kind of competition against an eclipse turbo would be which ever model came with 195 hps. On the other hand, for the money it would cost to buy one of those, you could get a 98 eclipse gsx, mod it a little and run 13's and still be reliable.

Go with the eclipse. If your looking at a 98 or 99 and have about $20,000 to spend for either car, it is the better bet. Most DSM's are deemed unreliable because the 1gs are cheap to buy so younger people buy em, bag em and don't necessarily upkeep em. Think about it, repeated 5000 rpm clutch drops with an awd driveline is going to fuck shit up, I don't care if your driving a porche. Mitsubishi really fucked up the 2g engine (nobody really knows how or why) and according to a pole on dsm tuners, 33% of the members who voted and drive 95-97 dsm's crankwalked. The 98 and 99 are obvioulsy newer and don't seem to suffer this fate.

Find a pimp eclipse gsx and buy it, you won't be dissapointed.

Skyline_Addict
07-18-2005, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by 2.0turbo
the last gen ludes are pretty sweet, as nice to look at as a eclipse. And there really isn't that much around. The only one that would offer any kind of competition against an eclipse turbo would be which ever model came with 195 hps. On the other hand, for the money it would cost to buy one of those, you could get a 98 eclipse gsx, mod it a little and run 13's and still be reliable.

ummm, FYI, all last gen (5th gen, 1997-2001) preludes come with 205 hp in north america, both the S and SH model.
it's only in Japan, where you can opt for stronger or weaker packages, where I believe you can get 160 HP for the base, and 220 HP for the Prelude Type-S.

lastprodigy
07-18-2005, 10:30 PM
its 195 ^

1-Bar
07-18-2005, 10:35 PM
^correction 190hp for 97-99 ludes 00-01 have 200hp from modified fuel maps.

h22 Ludes power range from 160 / 185 / 200 / 220 depending on the trim and which country you buy them in....

School is adjourned

edit: 220 final number :P

Skyline_Addict
07-18-2005, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by 1-Bar

h22 Ludes power range from 160 / 185 / 200 / 200 depending on the trim and which country you buy them in....

School is adjourned

shouldn't the last number be 220? :D

Skyline_Addict
07-18-2005, 10:50 PM
man i wouldn't mind the type-s engine in there....meh 25 hp is nothing...or is it? :angel:

edit: pfft, my VAFC makes up for it ;)

Zephyr
07-18-2005, 10:54 PM
Go with a prelude, i hear trannys suck on the eclipses, plus they're ugly. And for a Nissan guy to say buy a Honda, that means something LOL

Skyline_Addict
07-18-2005, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr
Go with a prelude, i hear trannys suck on the eclipses, plus they're ugly. And for a Nissan guy to say buy a Honda, that means something LOL

v-tec baby!

CIVIC_MAN
07-19-2005, 01:19 AM
prelude, 200hp non turbo, junkyard turbo it and smoke an eclipse anyday, and more reliable too. and nicer imo

heavyD
07-19-2005, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Zephyr

It means that the Eclipse is the top dog and Nissan & Honda guys don't like what smokes their cars. :poosie: We DSM guys don't need to swap engines or install turbo kits to make our cars fast. DSM's are the anti-rice japanese cars with one purpose only: to go fast.

BTW: 2G turbo trannys are fine thanks, you must be confused with the WRX.

b_t
07-19-2005, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by CIVIC_MAN
prelude, 200hp non turbo, junkyard turbo it and smoke an eclipse anyday, and more reliable too. and nicer imo

No. Just, no.

heavyD
07-19-2005, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by b_t
No. Just, no.

:D ....... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

RUQUIKR
07-19-2005, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by CIVIC_MAN

ROFL, I think I just pee'd alittle. No chance my buddy had a 01 SE with the Greddy turbo kit and He had no chance against me. Keep in mind it isn't cheap to turbo a Prelude.

EK 2.0
07-19-2005, 03:21 PM
ROFL, I think I just pee'd alittle. No chance my buddy had a 01 SE with the Greddy turbo kit and He had no chance against me. Keep in mind it isn't cheap to turbo a Prelude.

But Kurt, that Lude is BEAT...it wasn't running right nor, was it tuned for ts full potential...There are fast cars from both camps...the Honda, will offer a lil more reliability when comapred stock to stock...As an OEM Boosted car does require more up-keep.

That is the only thing I hated about ym DSM's was the up-keep...but again mine were 1G's and when I picked them up were somewhat beat.

rc2002
07-19-2005, 05:16 PM
^^^ What upgrades did you have when you were up against the Prelude?

I've been in vtec's 5th gen lude with the Greddy turbo kit. I was impressed with the power it made from the tiny turbo...

USHER
07-19-2005, 05:35 PM
can u get a hardtop for the eclipse spyder?? or are u stuck with soft?

Skyline_Addict
07-19-2005, 06:04 PM

It means that the Eclipse is the top dog and Nissan &amp; Honda guys don't like what smokes their cars. :poosie: We DSM guys don't need to swap engines or install turbo kits to make our cars fast. DSM's are the anti-rice japanese cars with one purpose only: to go fast.

are you saying this just because your friends made fun of you too much and say that after comforming to peer pressure? you make it sound like every japanese car out there is rice and that DSMs are shit-all. no one's disrespecting the DSMs in this thread, but all you do in each thread is call a honda rice.:rolleyes:

everyone who prefers the honda is this thread can get over the fact that the prelude is slower, but you can't even seem to get over the fact that you need to just get over it and stop calling every car except yours rice.

RUQUIKR
07-19-2005, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
^^^ What upgrades did you have when you were up against the Prelude?

I've been in vtec's 5th gen lude with the Greddy turbo kit. I was impressed with the power it made from the tiny turbo...

Stock T-25 at 15psi with basic support mods, stock fuel injection. I'm assuming EK2.0 is Arif, I'm not refering to the guy from Visions though I was faster than him also. Friend of mine from Saskatchewan boosted his early last summer.

EK 2.0
07-19-2005, 07:07 PM

Stock T-25 at 15psi with basic support mods, stock fuel injection. I'm assuming EK2.0 is Arif, I'm not refering to the guy from Visions though I was faster than him also. Friend of mine from Saskatchewan boosted his early last summer.

ohhhhhhhhhhhh ok then I retract my previous statement...

and yes, it is me...

Mad$ella
07-19-2005, 10:18 PM
Prelude's look sexier IMO, but what do I know, I am a MUSTANG man

1-Bar
07-19-2005, 10:27 PM
^ lol

heavyD
07-19-2005, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
are you saying this just because your friends made fun of you too much and say that after comforming to peer pressure? you make it sound like every japanese car out there is rice and that DSMs are shit-all. no one's disrespecting the DSMs in this thread, but all you do in each thread is call a honda rice.:rolleyes:

everyone who prefers the honda is this thread can get over the fact that the prelude is slower, but you can't even seem to get over the fact that you need to just get over it and stop calling every car except yours rice.

What ever.:rolleyes: Funny I was one of te few guys sticking up for the NSX in another thread and know Honda's very well having owned a couple myself. Have you owned a Mitsubishi? No. Have you spent a bit of time in Calgary to take a look at all the riced cars in Calgary? Do you want to argue to me that the majority aren't Hondas? You obviously have an in inferiority complex as I haven't once in this thread said anything bad about the Prelude like it being slow or ugly or a bad car. I just said that the Eclipse is faster and looks better IMO and defended its reliability. IT'S MY OPINION! GET OVER IT!!:thumbsdow

Skyline_Addict
07-19-2005, 11:24 PM

What ever.:rolleyes: Funny I was one of te few guys sticking up for the NSX in another thread and know Honda's very well having owned a couple myself. Have you owned a Mitsubishi? No. Have you spent a bit of time in Calgary to take a look at all the riced cars in Calgary? Do you want to argue to me that the majority aren't Hondas? You obviously have an in inferiority complex as I haven't once in this thread said anything bad about the Prelude like it being slow or ugly or a bad car. I just said that the Eclipse is faster and looks better IMO and defended its reliability. IT'S MY OPINION! GET OVER IT!!:thumbsdow

I don't mind your opinion at all, about what your opinion is about the Mitsubishi. You think it's faster, and nicer looking and that's fine. If you think I have a "inferiority complex" because I don't agree with you, then "whatever" :rolleyes: back at you. And how do you know if I've owned a Mitsu or not, now you claim to know me?
It's the fact that bringing up a Honda conversation in a thread must automatically bring up a "rice dicussion" as you feel fit. It doesn't matter if every other Honda out there is a riced out civic (or even a Prelude if you want to think that). This thread is about giving our opinions on the cars in question and only that, to help him out. Not to deem your car the king of "anti-rice", which you have seemed to label as Japanese cars (if you have failed to read what you yourself have written). I never said you said the Prelude was ugly or slow, so I don't know what you're reading and why you think you know what cars I've owned. Never once in this thread was I "defending" the Prelude, as I mentioned that both are good cars.

edit: i don't mean any sort confrontation towards you. basically my main message is saying that I'm just sick of hearing the "catch 22" rice stories about Honda, because nobody shoudl give a shit about what other people classify their car as, as long as they like it!

heavyD
07-19-2005, 11:35 PM
First of all the "rice" thing is not something I bring up very often. I never winced when anyone made fun of my Honda's but saying I was/have been subjected to it just as people say "nice Neon" about my SRT4 but it didn't deter me from getting one.

You are obviously sensitive to the "rice" thing and I can respect that knowing that every DSM thread has to come down to someone saying something such as "I heard DSM trannys are bad" or DSMs' break down all the time, etc. which gets old for me also. Lets just move on and try not to offend each other and not hijack the thread.

Skyline_Addict
07-19-2005, 11:44 PM
First of all the &quot;rice&quot; thing is not something I bring up very often. I never winced when anyone made fun of my Honda's but saying I was/have been subjected to it just as people say &quot;nice Neon&quot; about my SRT4 but it didn't deter me from getting one.

You are obviously sensitive to the &quot;rice&quot; thing and I can respect that knowing that every DSM thread has to come down to someone saying something such as &quot;I heard DSM trannys are bad&quot; or DSMs' break down all the time, etc. which gets old for me also. Lets just move on and try not to offend each other and not hijack the thread.

:). I am with you on vouching for anti-rice though. ;)

and i've never minded a DSM. i totally agree with you that if any car is well taken care of, it won't be such a beater! i think the reliability of your car is as controllable as your will to keep it running properly, just depends on how well you do it :thumbsup:

BB6SE
07-20-2005, 01:22 PM
On the other hand I have a 2001 prelude for sale if you want :D
Check the marketplace for that one..

But I do feel that a prelude is a more reliable car, and I really love the interior/exterior of it.
Powerwise any car has potential if you have the money, DSM's are a bit quicker most of time.