PDA

View Full Version : To Rice or Not to Rice!?

Pages : [1] 2

CVPP
01-24-2003, 04:02 PM
Alright now, I am alittle confused. I like this discussion alot I have learned alot of cools things but people seem to take offense when you call these imports rice burners or ricers. I don't see the insult in this? I mean these cars are made in other countries (i.e. Japan) so I don't see it wrong. Now, America has their own slang such as "muscle cars" and to be honest domestic companies such as Ford and Chevy wish they could get a car that runs like a ricer. Or that the "puplic" would stive to get (ie. hondas,acura). These rice burners have jacked up the value of what used to be shitty cars. Anyway what are your views on this?

max_boost
01-24-2003, 04:10 PM
How old are you?
And where are you from?

sexualbanana
01-24-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by CVPP
I mean these cars are made in other countries (i.e. Japan) so I don't see it wrong.

do u call japanese people rice pickers?

CVPP
01-24-2003, 04:26 PM
18 and Cleveland, Ohio

jdmakkord
01-24-2003, 04:31 PM
figures redneck american!

Ben
01-24-2003, 04:31 PM
*raises his hand to make a point*

*pauses*

...bah, why bother.

mrmattyk
01-24-2003, 04:34 PM
Ladies and Gentleman, prepare for a flamewar :guns:

CVPP
01-24-2003, 04:37 PM
Cleveland ain't redneck but I don't need to defend where I live If you take a history lesson in cars it was "rednecks" that started racing street racing and it was a bunch of kids from Indiana who started "RICING." Now, I have all my front teeth and i don't have a mullet I may not be living in CA paying frieken high taxes on everything but I like cars and that is the only reason i am on this board just to learn as much as I can about "ricers"

mrmattyk
01-24-2003, 04:38 PM
Cleveland ain't redneck

Really? :rolleyes:
If you are trying to prove that people from Cleveland are civilized, well spoken and well mannered you probably want to avoid grammatical errors.

James
01-24-2003, 04:41 PM
If you take a history lesson in cars it was "rednecks" that started racing street racing and it was a bunch of kids from Indiana who started "RICING." ;

You dont think they street Race in Japan, Germany, Europe?...wheres your proof of this guy?
:rolleyes:...not like im actually expecting any.

ExtremeSi
01-24-2003, 04:45 PM
the only reason i am on this board just to learn as much as I can about "ricers"

You come onto this board and address us all as "ricers" as if its what we call ourselves. You're posts are full of ignorance and just plain insulting:rolleyes:

w3apon
01-24-2003, 04:51 PM
All you need to know:
http://www.riceboypage.com/

Also do a google search for "icyhotstunaz".

sexualbanana
01-24-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by w3apon

Also do a google search for "icyhotstunaz".

HAHAHAHA

GTS Jeff
01-24-2003, 05:14 PM
u seem to have a different definition of rice than everyone else.

this is rice:
http://www.ricecop.com/ricepics/elementcivic7.jpg

this is nice:

three.eighteen.
01-24-2003, 06:25 PM
damn i never new red x's were rice, i better take the red tape off my car now...:confused:

Toms-Celica
01-24-2003, 06:28 PM
ahahaha

XylathaneGTR
01-24-2003, 06:32 PM
HAHAHAH...
Jeff, That MR2 is facking SEXY...Holy shiat...waht kinda rims are those?
And btw... www.stunnaz.cjb.net Its been updated. :D

STI-Guy
01-24-2003, 07:15 PM
"Alright now, I am alittle confused."

Given.

"I like this discussion alot I have learned alot of cools things..."

Okay, I have no idea what you just said, but lets just proceed...

"...but people seem to take offense when you call these imports rice burners or ricers."

We take offense to the word "ricer" because of a couple of mullet headed pricks make stereotypes based on the actions of idiotic import drivers that take the time and money to make their rides look like shit.

"I don't see the insult in this? I mean these cars are made in other countries (i.e. Japan) so I don't see it wrong."

Now you're being racist.

"Now, America has their own slang such as "muscle cars" and to be honest domestic companies such as Ford and Chevy wish they could get a car that runs like a ricer."

Because fast imports are selling like hot cakes. And trust us, we love The SRT and Camaro just as much as any Japanese car.

"Or that the "puplic" would stive to get (ie. hondas,acura).

Jesus, are you high? Try making sense, please.

"These rice burners have jacked up the value of what used to be shitty cars."

Comprehension = 0.

"Anyway what are your views on this?"

We would share our views if we could actually understand what you're trying to get through. And if you weren't a complete moron.

(BTW, don't like the CF hood or the paint job, but that is a damn sexy MR2)

EnRich
01-24-2003, 09:57 PM
Give the guy a break... Jesus... I hate when you guys get so offended when new people come on this board and say RICERS... Its not a big deal... Some guys really do have RICE ugly cars... Now its not right to call all Hondas Acuras ricers because they arn't... People turn em into rice cars.... I have a Honda Accord... I ever catch anyone call it a rice, they'll really hear it outta me because its not riced out... Some guys just have no taste and turn their honda or acura into a ricers.... But anyways dont take offence to it... There are alot of idiot out there... People that have no taste and make their car look ugly deserve to be classified as RICE... Some dont....

RICH

Ben
01-24-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by EnRich
Give the guy a break... Jesus... I hate when you guys get so offended when new people come on this board and say RICERS... Its not a big deal... Some guys really do have RICE ugly cars... Now its not right to call all Hondas Acuras ricers because they arn't... People turn em into rice cars.... I have a Honda Accord... I ever catch anyone call it a rice, they'll really hear it outta me because its not riced out... Some guys just have no taste and turn their honda or acura into a ricers.... But anyways dont take offence to it... There are alot of idiot out there... People that have no taste and make their car look ugly deserve to be classified as RICE... Some dont....

RICH

Cars are not food groups!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kaput
01-24-2003, 11:43 PM

Ben
01-24-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by kaput

Neither is rice :dunno:

well all these people saying the car is rice, this is rice, that is rice!

They are cars, and car parts, not a food staple of a large group of countries!

CVPP
01-25-2003, 10:55 AM
Well it seems i pissed alot of people off. Well maybe you guys just need to get girlfriends or something I feel alot of unreleased testoterone...I mean I guess if you take offence the word "ricer" then I will refrain from using it.

"I don't see the insult in this? I mean these cars are made in other countries (i.e. Japan) so I don't see it wrong."

Now you're being racist.

As far as being racist just shut the hell up about things your feeble mind cannot comprehend...I have a chinese sister a 4 brothers from Russia all adopted and my brother is married to a japanese girl. So I am happy you were able to make youself look like an ass.

And lets clarify I am not making fun of any when I say "rice" or "ricer" it is just a car classification or it was to me. But I guess it isn't I guess a ricer is a shitty honda with some stickers and a huge spoiler?

GTS Jeff
01-25-2003, 12:35 PM
I guess a ricer is a shitty honda with some stickers and a huge spoiler? i think ure starting to get it. but it doesnt have to be a honda. it can be any shitty car with poseurish mods.

STI-Guy
01-25-2003, 12:42 PM
EDIT: Arg, what's the point?

mwmhong
01-25-2003, 12:44 PM
Nothing makes ricers more mad than the truth.

Superesc
01-25-2003, 12:51 PM
.. emmm I don't understand this thread at all.

Lunch time. :dunno:

EnRich
01-25-2003, 02:38 PM
THANKS YOU CVPP
Set em straight

Hipermax_d
01-25-2003, 03:40 PM
does this mean you guys will call me a ricer picker from now on?

Seanith
01-25-2003, 09:11 PM
Wow this guy astounds me..i'm not even going to begin with this troll..if this was posted in the forum i moderate i would have banned him post haste.

XylathaneGTR
01-25-2003, 09:58 PM

Now you're being racist.

As far as being racist just shut the hell up about things your feeble mind cannot comprehend...I have a chinese sister a 4 brothers from Russia all adopted and my brother is married to a japanese girl. So I am happy you were able to make youself look like an ass.

So, You can have family of all colors of the rainbow and still be racist. I just thought i'd point that out.
But seriously, Calling a modified Import a ricer is plain fucking stupid. It makes you look dumb. Just picture it
"Ohh ohhh! Look at that intercooler, What a hot ricer!"
"mmm, hear that HKS exhaust?? That be a rice-a-roni comming"
"Whats that? TD04 Turbo? Wow, How much power does that Rice Rocket put out?"
Notice how STUPID it sounds?

Before you mentioned American slang as "muscle cars" thats not really a derogitory term as Rice is...cause its an accurate, true statement, and the makers of the "muscle cars" use the term to sell their cars as well. Those cars make a lotta power, hence the Muscle. Where as calling a Japanese Make of car a "Ricer" is stupid, because what, Is the intake manifold made of Rice? instead of toruqe and horsepower, do they make Rice?
Please, stop :(

Silencer
01-25-2003, 10:02 PM
Some of you guys are such hypocrites, you are saying that CCVP is stereotyping people as "ricers" because he is a dumb redneck with a mullet?!!!??!

:dunno:

Obviously there is a conflict of what makes a ricer.
Personally, I think its mods that are tacky or bullshit, but that's just me.

As for the comment about how CCVP came to this site to learn about ricers, i think its about 70/30 import/domestic split on this board, if you can even define cars like that anymore. And of course, many people here like several types of cars.

But I agree its not cool to call people ricers because they are asian or drive asian vehicles.

P.S. That Mr2 is sweet!

sexualbanana
01-25-2003, 10:05 PM
muscle car isn't derogatory. mullet-mobile on the other hand is

Glowrider
01-26-2003, 06:58 PM
It's like calling a black guy a "nigger". Rice is a bad word when it comes to imports. It's used by import enthusiasts and everyone else, to make fun of people who have in one way or another, failed to successfully execute the tasteful modification of an imported car. (big/pointless wings, excessive vinyl, excess lighting equipment inside and out, shoddy body work, bargain bin suspension systems, fart cans, etc.)

STI-Guy
01-26-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Glowrider
It's like calling a black guy a "nigger". Rice is a bad word when it comes to imports. It's used by import enthusiasts and everyone else, to make fun of people who have in one way or another, failed to successfully execute the tasteful modification of an imported car. (big/pointless wings, excessive vinyl, excess lighting equipment inside and out, shoddy body work, bargain bin suspension systems, fart cans, etc.)

Thank you!

Mikko
01-26-2003, 07:42 PM
The way I see it, the Import Scene/Culture is German and Japanese car fashion, along with drag racing.

Whenever someone goes against the fashion/trend it's considered bad taste, ricer, etc. Though in general, I think that the main fashion and idea of most who mod the looks of their cars is to make them look like track cars. I've seen some guys who want people to think they have a rally car too though, putting tons of extra lights up front mainly.

Glowrider
01-26-2003, 07:45 PM
It's not a matter of going against trend. It's how good your car ends up looking. True, beauty if in the eye of the beholder. But there are some cars, that NO ONE likes. They just end up looking ridiculous. This is "rice".

I've seen some guys who want people to think they have a rally car too though, putting tons of extra lights up front mainly.

There you go, that guy is a ricer. He wants people to think he has a rally car, when in reality, it's nothing even remotely close.

Mikko
01-26-2003, 08:04 PM
Hey there mr Glowrider - sorry for editing my post after you replied to it, I didn't see.. You are right on that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but it extends to everything. Surely the owner likes it, and the other (perhaps small) group of people who are impressed by that sort of thing. :)

I have been trying to map out exactly what is high fashion in the import scene, just what type of style/image people try to achieve. My findings are:

1. Track car look Racing bucket seats (even on a commuter car). Lowered. Replacement lips and bumpers that make ground clearance absolutely terrible. Huge rims, 19" is considered good by many. Quite unfit for a real road racer unless we talk about smooth highways. Racing pedals, steering wheel, shifter, needlessly loud and big exhaust. Widebody kit. If a BOV is to be fitted, it must be as loud as possible, to make sure others hear it.

Lets not forget JDM - having the appearance of a car not sold much outside Japan gives high marks.

Spoilers seem to have gone out of fashion due to the rice boy craze.

2. Luxury Very heavy tinting (who cares about vision) for looks and privacy, as much leather as one can get. Extra pimp floormats. Enhancing the car brand logo making sure that everyone knows what it is they drive, especially so with the german brands. High grade audio system. Power-everything. In car DVD players, Playstations. HID headlights, because it was pioneered by the german luxury brands I believe(?).

3. More power - high end power - overlooking things such as throttle response, low end torque, drivability, practicality.

Glowrider
01-26-2003, 08:09 PM
I consider rice people trying to make their cars look like something their not. That really bothers me. Or even worse, when they copy another car that they've seen. Like the many clones of the TF and TF Supra we've all seen.

How can you take pride in your car, if it's just a copy of someone elses work? How can you appreciate what you've done, if it's all just to look like something you're obviously not?

That is what I consider rice.

Mikko
01-26-2003, 08:12 PM
Yeah, I find that I think that people who mod their cars to look like say, track cars, with racing bucket seats and all when they don't even race more than the occational drag race, is being poserish.

When challenged, they simply say that they just make the car look the way they themselves think looks good, and that they don't care what others think. I don't believe that, though. I don't know. Surely it's mainly a status symbol, a social tool.

Glowrider
01-26-2003, 08:14 PM
When challenged, they simply say that they just make the car look the way they themselves think looks good, and that they don't care what others think.

LOL Yeah right. That's a crock of shit. If they didn't care about what other people thought, and never actually raced on a track, then there is no reason for the seats. Racing seats aren't by any means comfortable. That's a lie. I can't stand when people do that.

three.eighteen.
01-26-2003, 08:17 PM
this is gay, rice is gay ergo this thread is rice...

Mikko
01-26-2003, 08:18 PM
:rofl: be careful what you say, that attitude we are attacking is probably quite common *cough*. In fact, I think it is at the very core of the Import Scene/Culture.

And people do lie to themselves too, all the time.

Glowrider
01-26-2003, 08:21 PM
LOL Good advice. But I do tend to get a bit mouthy with issues like this. It just bothers the hell out of me. I think the reason that there is so much "rice", lies with the reason that most people are modifying cars now.

I think the majority of people that are modifying cars now, are doing it simply because it's the cool thing to be doing right now. Not because they enjoy doing it. But just because it's what's in right now. These people have no real idea of what a car should look like, and how it should perform after you've put all kinds of money into it. So they just buy things for no reason, they don't know what they do, or why they buy them. They just buy them because if installed on their car, it will mean that their car isn't stock anymore, and that's cool.

There should be some sort of test people have to take before they start modifying cars, LOL.

Mikko
01-26-2003, 08:28 PM
Oh yes that is true! I'm sort of split over all this though. Most people who are into status symbols and image are quite aware of what is fashionable and what isn't. A nice car is a paramount status symbol. But what is 'nice' then? My definition from the import scene seems to be pretty accurate. But as it's really mostly about status for many, any expensive car will do, for being expensive is status in itself.

So the conflict arrises when people who don't really care about performance and utility much starts to modify their cars to get a 'nice' car. That's why you get such messed up things like racing buckets in a commuter car, because that is 'nice'.

In the end, these people are not really into modding or tuning, but only status symbols and image. They love the looks of a car (defined by the current fashion and trends), bragging rights, performance numbers. But skills? Nah.. why endanger a car trying to learn how to drive it. - But being a racer is part of the deal, so they have to do something. Drag racing? Sure, anyone can do that easy. Finally - proof of that they don't just have the bucket seats for show (sarcasm).

This also explains how the opposite of a well sorted sports car - the SUV - can be put side to side and loved as much as the sporty cars among the people in these circles. Image and status symbols. In my opinion, not much different from clothing fashion, how women drool over wearing expensive jewelry (yes, males too), and what else.

Glowrider
01-26-2003, 08:32 PM
I agree. The funny thing is, all the money that people put into their cars, the ones that come out looking morbid, could've just saved all that money up, and bought some sort of luxury car. Then they would really have a status symbol, and people wouldn't look at them and think "What the hell was that guy thinking?".

Mikko
01-26-2003, 08:39 PM
Well, some like the racer image more. :) Hmm, ugh, I just had to stop myself from mentioning a few people as examples. *slaps self*.

Why is the racer image attractive?

1. Movies have often been a big force in promoting trends. Fast and the Furious seems to have sparked a lot of interest in the import and drag racing scene.

2. Driving skill is good for image/status.

Glowrider
01-26-2003, 08:41 PM
Hey! I just remembered that my mom is a a ricer. She has a Carrera with the 911 Turbo wing!! Haha.

Mikko
01-26-2003, 08:44 PM
lol, ask her why she chose to have it like that, then tell me what she said. The mind of a mom race-poser..

CVPP
01-26-2003, 10:48 PM
Alright all, I knew starting this thread would turn out with alot of hatin on me but you know its cool. I would like to state for the record that I am not racist and I am not sure how you guys all of suddened turned it out like that. But, that matter aside I would like to state.

The reason I was so quick to say ricer is, because there are very few people where I live that do anything to their engine. They throw some mistubishi stickers on the windows get a loud tinny exhaust and let their RPM's run high so they sound fast. Nothing annoys me more. I will admit that there are some cars that kids have done some nice shit (i.e. a civic runs 12's and looks amazing). But I have also seen a neon run 12's high 11's and the kid did not change the body at all besides a wing to keep him on the ground and beef up the suspension and frame. I call their cars "rice" cars and they are fine with it. I am not sure why you guys feel it a threat but so be it. I am just really used to seeing a green neon glow coming from the back of a kids window along with a racing seat and of course the all famous seat belt strap with the honda racing logo on it. It is just an annoyance of mine however I have seen many nice car pics on this thread and would love to learn how to tweak out these FWD 4 cyc. cars. They seem fun. However, you all jumped on me when I typed the word "ricer" I do not mean it as a derogatory term or I am not classifing any certain people.

AND YES I HAVE A RAINBOW COLOR FAMILY AND DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

GTS Jeff
01-26-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Mikko
3. More power - high end power - overlooking things such as throttle response, low end torque, drivability, practicality. a high strung engine is rice? ure retarded

Blue Devil 2
01-26-2003, 11:00 PM
i'm so sick of reading about rice, rice, rice this, rice that, i don't think I can even eat the shit anymore.

Brutality
01-26-2003, 11:00 PM
:bullshit:

szw
01-26-2003, 11:01 PM
Well how do you differentiate between the first people you described (stickers, loud tinny exhaust..stuff that "annoys" you) and the second group of people (well built neon/civic).

You call them both the same thing, yet you love one and hate the other.

Mikko
01-26-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
a high strung engine is rice? ure retarded

I did not say any of that was rice. Quit the namecalling please.

CVPP
01-26-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by szw
Well how do you differentiate between the first people you described (stickers, loud tinny exhaust..stuff that "annoys" you) and the second group of people (well built neon/civic).

You call them both the same thing, yet you love one and hate the other.

Both sets of ppl are doing what they can with what they got. I just think that one is distateful and that a loud tinny exhaust does not make you go faster (excluding new exhaust systems) and when a little shit revs his weak ass civic i get a bit disturbed.

Glowrider
01-27-2003, 12:16 AM
Well how do you differentiate between the first people you described (stickers, loud tinny exhaust..stuff that "annoys" you) and the second group of people (well built neon/civic)

You just answered your own question. It's been my experience, when I come across a well built "sport compact", that the owners are usually very subtle when it comes to exterior mods. Most don't have body kits or an excessive amount of stickers, if any at all. How many dragsters at the track do you see with space-ship looking body kits? None. Because the vast majority of body kits are for show cars. They lack practicality, thus, not earning a place on most well built cars.

szw
01-27-2003, 12:19 AM

You just answered your own question. It's been my experience, when I come across a well built "sport compact", that the owners are usually very subtle when it comes to exterior mods. Most don't have body kits or an excessive amount of stickers, if any at all. How many dragsters at the track do you see with space-ship looking body kits? None. Because the vast majority of body kits are for show cars. They lack practicality, thus, not earning a place on most well built cars.

Yeah I know that..the reason for all the fuss, is that he calls both those groups 'rice'. While the term 'rice' is usually reserved for the first group. He's basically calling all imports rice, which usually used in a derogeratory manner. I couldn't really give a shit though, but thats what all the commotion is about.

Then he goes and says "they are both doing the best with what they can"...i dunno what the hell he's talking about, but then again, i don't give a shit!

Redlyne_mr2
01-27-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by XylathaneGTR
HAHAHAH...
Jeff, That MR2 is facking SEXY...Holy shiat...waht kinda rims are those?

that mr2 belongs to an aquaintance of mine from socal, specs: trd widebody, greddy td06 turbo, volk gram light wheels, jic coilovers, and as you can see about 200 other mods...wicked car.... this thread on the other hand deserves the timeless and ever appropriate...:thumbsdow

Glowrider
01-27-2003, 12:24 AM
Yeah, I've heard people say stuff like "Yo...Imma rice out my car, its gonna be phat yo". They don't understand that when people drive by in Mustangs and scream "damn ricers!", that it isn't a good thing.

Rice is bad everyone, very bad. A clean import car is NOT rice. Ugly cars with stickers, wings, and excessive lighting equipment ARE rice.

ninjak84
01-27-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Blue Devil 2
i'm so sick of reading about rice

Me too.

RiCE-DaDDy
01-27-2003, 12:37 AM
rice is nice :D

04blackMAX
01-27-2003, 12:40 AM
Honetly, who cares, what might be rice to someone might not be rice to someone else, sure iam not a huge fan if a 9 foot wing and stckers, but each to their owe. You dont think someone that drives a new 911 turbo looks at us and says look at there stupid supped up hondas, acura's????..please man, this whole ricer thing is getting a lil out of hand, I personally am to old for this scene, its like a big soap opera. Sure we all have our likes and dislike, keep it to yourself, let people express their selves through their cars...ITS ALL ABOUT FUN, not about impressing someone else!!!

Mikko
01-27-2003, 01:02 AM
Actually to me it seems that it's mostly about impressing others. At least a whoooole lot of people are like that.

Then for driving enthusiasts it's quite different.

sexualbanana
01-27-2003, 01:47 AM

Racing seats aren't by any means comfortable. That's a lie. I can't stand when people do that.

i'm sorry, but i beg to differ. i find a lot of racing seats to be very comfortable. but it also depends on the person. some people like to lean back a bit, i prefer to stay upright. it's a hell of a lot better for ur back

The reason I was so quick to say ricer is, because there are very few people where I live that do anything to their engine. They throw some mistubishi stickers on the windows get a loud tinny exhaust and let their RPM's run high so they sound fast. Nothing annoys me more. I will admit that there are some cars that kids have done some nice shit (i.e. a civic runs 12's and looks amazing). But I have also seen a neon run 12's high 11's and the kid did not change the body at all besides a wing to keep him on the ground and beef up the suspension and frame.

there's a difference between looking stock and going incredibly fast, looking fast and going slow and then, there's everyone's favorite group, the guys who look fast and think they're fast when they're really not.

hehe. reminds me of that episode on the family guy where stewie gets taken into a very multicultural foster home and he walks into the living room and sees all the kids lying onthe ground. then one kids says "stewie, come complete our rainbow." ahhh, funny times.

EDIT:

I am just really used to seeing a green neon glow coming from the back of a kids window along with a racing seat and of course the all famous seat belt strap with the honda racing logo on it. It is just an annoyance of mine

i'll add somethign that annoys me. the guys that roll up to me and rev their engines at me. i don't have a problem with that. but they usually drive mustangs, stealths, etc. why the hell would u waste ur gas on me?

Ben
01-27-2003, 02:18 AM

But I have also seen a neon run 12's high 11's and the kid did not change the body at all besides a wing to keep him on the ground and beef up the suspension and frame.

Yeah, cause downforce is a real problem on a FWD car at the Quarter Mile...Please just STFU while you are only a little bit behind, go sell bullshit someplace else, were all stocked up here.

GTS Jeff
01-27-2003, 02:51 AM
haha cvpp, ure getting a lot of flames here. it can be one of two things.

1. everyone on this board is just a jerk
2. maybe ure wrong

Mikko
01-27-2003, 03:09 AM
Rudeness and personal attacks has nothing to do with someone being wrong. So that's definitely 1. So maybe 1 and 2 then?

GTS Jeff
01-27-2003, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by Mikko

I did not say any of that was rice. Quit the namecalling please. sorry, i was in a rush when i made that reply and i didnt have a chance to read clearly. sorry about that. ure still retarded mikko

CVPP
01-27-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Benny

Yeah, cause downforce is a real problem on a FWD car at the Quarter Mile...Please just STFU while you are only a little bit behind, go sell bullshit someplace else, were all stocked up here.

Yes, at 200mph on the track your front begins to bobble around...The wing helps to keep your front tight to the ground. And another thing is that the kid is big on the drag scene on unperfect roads and hitting a bump can fuck you up bad so the wing causes a pull towards the ground.

Ben
01-27-2003, 10:46 AM

Yes, at 200mph on the track your front begins to bobble around...The wing helps to keep your front tight to the ground. And another thing is that the kid is big on the drag scene on unperfect roads and hitting a bump can fuck you up bad so the wing causes a pull towards the ground.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

you are saying this neon that runs 12's is a 200MPH CAR! HAHAHAHAHAHAAH

"Here comes the neon with MONSTER GEARING...and whistle tips" WOO WOO

200MPH on the 1320 (thats the quarter mile in feet) is a good 5.5-6 second pass.

WTF is he using as a wing, a great big sombrero?

DUDE!! CLOSE YOUR TRAP!

The wing wont keep your front tight on the ground in any real difference whatsoever buddy! It creates downforce over the rear wheels so that in a RWD car it provides better traction/stability! Any downforce provided on the front wheels is far exceeded by the force applied to the rear of the vehicle.

does this neon have some mad front spoiler like an indy F1 car or huge tunnels under the car or something creating the Bernoulli effect? No, didn't think so.

And if in fact he magically comes apon a 200mph car, racing at top speed on unperfect roads, hahaha, what a retard in that case there too.

Here, I'll get a bit more tehnical for you just so we can all fall in love with science.:

We can start off with the theroy that The Aerodynamic efficiency of a car is determined by its Coefficient of Drag, I will refer to that as (Cd).

The Coefficient of drag is independent of area, it simply reflects the influence to aerodynamic drag on the shape of object.

For example, Theoretically a circular flat plate has Cd 1.0, but after adding the turbulence effect around its edge, its CD becomes nearer to 1.2.

For those who care, the most aerodynamic efficient shape is a water drop, whose Cd is 0.05. However, we dont all run out and build a everyday street car in this shape so a typical modern car is around 0.30 (Cd).

Actual drag is proportional to the drag coefficient, frontal area and the square of vehicle speed.

Hence a car going at 80 mph has 4 times the drag of a car traveling at 40 mph.

This influences the top speed. If a company needed to raise the top speed of Car with 390hp and a Cd of 0.36 from 180 mph to 200 mph without altering its shape, it would need to raise its power from 390 hp to about 535 hp!

or the company can blow far less time and money on engine and drivetrain improvements and use it in the wind tunnel, advancing its Aerodynamics. All the car manufacturer would have to do is decrease its Cd from 0.36 to 0.29. This would achieve the same result without having to put in a beast of a motor.

And Lift, just so we can get everything on the table:

Like I mentioned about drag, lift is proportional to area (but total surface area rather than just frontal area, the square of vehicle speed and Lift Coefficient, and so I'm going to make that easy and call it (Cl), which is determined by the shape.

At high speed, lift may be increased to such an extent that the car becomes very unstable. Which is really not what you want to happen now is it.

Witness Mercedes Group B Racers doing the loop de loop at Le Mans to see what becomes its obvious conclusion. We've all see the video of the Mercedes that does the nice lift off and backflip into the trees at the LeMans a few years back.

At more mundane speed Lift is particularly serious at the rear, since a low pressure area exists around the rear window, kinda like a waterfall churn. If the rear lift is not adequately countered, the rear wheels will not provide adequate grip and the car will go into Over steering mode, just the opposite of what is required for good Stability. This is why in most cases huge wings on a car dont make much diff at speeds less than 160km/h, or 100mph for the americans on the forum.

Even worse, a Fastback design is particularly bad in this aspect, because it has a very big surface area in contact with air flow. Porsche introduced the big Whale Tales to nullify this.

Paradoxically It would seem that achieving good drag and low lift are mutually exclusive, Its all a big trade off, Automotive race teams do it all the time trading top speed off against cornering grip. There are however are some solutions to help achieve a good balance of both, its just a matter of R&D to see what works best for your car.

Okay, so now we are all filled in on how Lift and drag works.

Unless Chet in his Neon has a sick and wild body kit
providing some downward force to the front wheels, which he doesn't because you outright stated that he hasn't changed the appearance other than a wing (*sigh* I can see it now, a stock looking neon with the basemodel unicolor grey bumpers and a big alloy wing, yumm) hes fooling himself.

*enter 1920's mob boss voice* "Get outta here kid, ya botha me"

gpomp
01-27-2003, 11:16 AM

A FWD car going 200mph? Something's gotta be wrong here... :dunno:

Glowrider
01-27-2003, 11:49 AM
A low 12 second, high 11 second car with trap speeds of 200 mph? Yeah...right. And my M3 has the infamous BMW 6.0 V12 in it.

CVPP
01-27-2003, 12:14 PM
Wait wait wait....i never said his car did the 1/4 at 200mph I said his car can hit 200mph. I have been in the car with him and at 200mph the front starts to lift yet a wing causes you to hug the ground....I can't believe the stupidity I have been hearing from you guys.

Ben
01-27-2003, 12:15 PM
Wait wait wait....i never said his car did the 1/4 at 200mph I said his car can hit 200mph. I have been in the car with him and at 200mph the front starts to lift yet a wing causes you to hug the ground....I can't believe the stupidity I have been hearing from you guys.

I cant believe the stupidity I have been hearing from you!

boi-alien
01-27-2003, 12:28 PM
Wait wait wait....i never said his car did the 1/4 at 200mph I said his car can hit 200mph. I have been in the car with him and at 200mph the front starts to lift yet a wing causes you to hug the ground....I can't believe the stupidity I have been hearing from you guys. '
you read a single thing that benny wrote? does your friend's magical neon make 700hp?

Glowrider
01-27-2003, 12:32 PM
How would a wing on the back of the car help the front stay down?

Dr. Evil
01-27-2003, 12:49 PM
The wing helps to keep your front tight to the ground.
Perhaps there is a simple misunderstanding here.

CVPP, are you REALLY referring to the wing that mounts on the rear trunk of a car? Or are you thinking of the "spoiler" which fits under the front bumper of a car???

Please tell me you are confusing "spoiler" with "wing"...

CVPP
01-27-2003, 09:18 PM
Oh ok, I am sorry I stand corrected...I do infact mean what you guys call the spoiler. I always thought the spoiler was on the back and the wing was on the under front of the car. So I am guessing that is was what that missunderstanding was. My fault for not being on top of things.

XylathaneGTR
01-27-2003, 09:41 PM
Dr Evil. I think he is.
He did mention Wing a few times tho, and yeah, that leads everyone to believe a spoiler that attaches onto the trunk lid/rear quarter panels. Cause in a FWD car, that would be pretty fucking useless keeping the frontwheels stable at 200mph/320kmh.
A front spoiler on the other hand (refered to as Chin, Lip, etc.) would actually help. It has the same basic properties to other spoilers, It increases downforce, over the front end of the car. This, at 200 mph, would obviously have a drastic impact on stability.
the only way Rear Wings are actually useful on a FWD car, is if your cornering at around, 140 or so. (see: Driving on a Track.)

Anyways, yeah, CVPP, i think you should just give up now.

As for that MR2 posted earlier. It's very, very nice. I likes it.
Also, as for the Clean cars and the rice and whatever.

You guys ever watch HiRev Tuners on speed channel?
That shit is as 'riced' (sorry to use it, but htere's NO other description...seriously.) as it comes.
First off, they have NO idea what they're talking about.
The last episode i caught, they featured Craig Libermans 1000hp Skyline GTR34 that he bought off MotoRex (featured in SuperStreets Skyline Extravaganza issue) the BlackBird as it once was. They were talking about the "Hot 19's, The Carbon Fiber underchassis, Alluminum/Carbon Rice Wing, Carbon Intake Manifold. the Nos Fogger System, and Tri naaawwwwzzz bottles" and then the dumb bitch ended the segment off with "it was clean.." As the Blue paint and wannabe signal stripes sparkled in the light.
WTF
One thing that drives me insane is when people "rap it up" about shit they dont know. One car went like this "A candy orange civic Si sitting in a grassy field. 19" RH's with a BigBrake Conversion and air bagged suspension. your average USELESS bodykit, Skyline R33 Front, GD2K blackwiddow rear, some random sides, about 3 tons worth of Vinyl graffix, Fiberglass Interior, Racing Seats reupholostered, screens in dash etc. Move over to the engine, AEM CAI, Full dual exhaust system, and enough chrome to blind the population of South Africa. The moron ended with How Clean this Hot SoCal civic was.

Its sad :(

Redlyne_mr2
01-27-2003, 09:46 PM
:thumbsdow

Glowrider
01-27-2003, 09:56 PM
LOL Did you get a shot of the APC stickers on Lieberman's Skyline? What a fag. That guy needs to be banned from the import community. NIRA went bust and now he works for Meguiars as the "Youth Marketing Director". The guy is hopeless.

Ben
01-27-2003, 11:44 PM
Oh ok, I am sorry I stand corrected...I do infact mean what you guys call the spoiler. I always thought the spoiler was on the back and the wing was on the under front of the car. So I am guessing that is was what that missunderstanding was. My fault for not being on top of things.

I'm gonna call bullshit on that one and call it a faceless way to back out of something you were complety shut out on. How you can confuse a wing with a front airdam, is beyond me, and not possible in my opinion. I'm going to let it go, but dont try to pass anymore of that by me man, I'm not gonna bite.

You said his car was completely stock looking except for a wing. NOONE PUT ON A FRONT SPOILER AND LEAVES THE REST OF THE CAR STOCK! ESPECIALLY ON A NEON, but thanks for trying, I'll be here all week.

So in other news, Hows everyones winter car repairs comming along for 2003, I'm thinking there are gonna be some damn fast cars this year! WOW!!! Looking really forward to many Days and nights at Race City!

CVPP
01-28-2003, 07:02 AM
Backing out? Sorry I am not down with the weak shit you bring to the table. I know very little about body styling but i honestly tohught that the spoiler was located on the trunk and the wing was on the bottom front of the car. But "backing down" haha why the hell would I back down my from my view, I am online...I could care less what you guys say it means nothing.

Dr. Evil
01-28-2003, 11:52 AM
LOL Did you get a shot of the APC stickers on Lieberman's Skyline? What a fag. That guy needs to be banned from the import community. NIRA went bust and now he works for Meguiars as the "Youth Marketing Director". The guy is hopeless.
Seriously? Jeeez, that is ghey:barf:

Anyway, this thread is just one massive flame war... but I would say that I'd like to see one of the major car mags do a "real-world" test!!! Run a stock Civic at top speed through a handling course without a spoiler and wing. Then fit both wing & spoiler on the car and see if it improves anything.
A scientific study is the only way to end this age-old debate.

Peace:bigpimp:

Glowrider
01-28-2003, 12:21 PM
Here is a picture of my moms rice-mobile. A Porsche Carrera with a 911 Turbo wing! :(

http://pic1.picturetrail.com/VOL111/772847/1612799/19224632.jpg

She said she likes it because it looks neat. Oh well, she's my mom so I guess I can let it slide.

Ben
01-28-2003, 01:21 PM
Here is a picture of my moms rice-mobile. A Porsche Carrera with a 911 Turbo wing! :(

She said she likes it because it looks neat. Oh well, she's my mom so I guess I can let it slide.

So, is your family looking for another son?

Perhapse only an exchange program or something?:love: :thumbsup: :rofl: :clap:

Glowrider
01-28-2003, 01:24 PM
So, is your family looking for another son?

Sorry, the position of "son" has been filled. We will call you if there are any changes. :)

Ben
01-28-2003, 01:27 PM

Sorry, the position of "son" has been filled. We will call you if there are any changes. :)
Much abbliged, because if thats your moms opinion of style, hell, sign me up, hahaha

GTS Jeff
01-28-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Benny
abbliged "obliged"

Ben
01-28-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
"obliged"

I didn't type that last post

legendboy
01-28-2003, 03:31 PM
blah bla bla blah blah bla bla http://www.telusplanet.net/public/legend88/Smiles/suicide.gif :rofl:

hjr
01-28-2003, 05:34 PM
Its DEAD...................................................... YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

no more on this. NO MORE.

Glowrider
01-28-2003, 07:18 PM
LOL. If it bothers you guys so much, stop reading and posting in the thread!

always_laughing
01-28-2003, 07:44 PM

That's not a Turbo wing. It's the wing from the NA 996 aerokit.

Still ricey, but a different flavor than you think it is.

Glowrider
01-28-2003, 07:47 PM
Touche'

XylathaneGTR
01-28-2003, 11:38 PM
So, I'd still take the porsche with the rice wing.
It's a carerra damnit.
I built my own boxter, 60,000 in options. WTF. as much options as the cars stock worth.
Craaaazy shit.
Anyways, Is your family looking for a...uhhh, anything? I can do some neat tricks, i can dance, anything for a quick spin in the porsche?

CVPP
01-29-2003, 11:47 AM
I went to the Detroit Auto Show and saw the New Porsche's holy shit....they are crazy nice...but I would like to get a WRX those seem like they would be so much fun.

KoRnJD
01-29-2003, 12:23 PM
This thread needs to be locked. Very sad.

MODERATOR! :thumbsup:

ninjak84
01-29-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by always_laughing
Still ricey, but a different flavor than you think it is.

HAHA!
What do you drive buddy?:rolleyes: