PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new car..... advice?

sean84
07-14-2005, 01:26 AM
Ive been looking at some cars and me and my girlfriend have decided on a mazda3. Ive never bought a new car before and dont want to get swindeled or anything, anyone have any advice on getting a good deal.

redblack
07-14-2005, 10:58 PM
have you heard of car cost canada? i believe its www.carcostcanada.com
you pay like 20~30 bucks and you get dealer invoice cost for 3 cars, once you find that out you can go bargain with them. And dont let them pressure you into a sale, take your time. theres also car buying advise on that website too.

Weapon_R
07-14-2005, 11:46 PM
I would be VERY surprised if you could get much off the Mazda 3. It's a very hot seller.

88CRX
07-14-2005, 11:57 PM
walk away.

make them think your not gonna buy the car.

HRD2PLZ
07-15-2005, 08:08 AM
I had a friend buy a Mazda 6 when they first came out, and he also used carcostcanada, he saved a couple thousand off of MSRP and I'm pretty sure he got a real decent lease rate. However... he ended up buying his car is Edmonton :rofl:

sputnik
07-15-2005, 08:17 AM
CarCostCanada is a good service. Its basically a brokerage firm that finds the lowest dealer prices in Canada. You can take those quotes to local dealers and just say.

"Can you match this? Because I would rather buy locally than drive to __________ to get the car."

More often than not you will find that they are willing to match the price (within a couple hundred) since they are still making a bit of money on the vehicle without having to do much work.

Mr. Burns
07-15-2005, 08:27 AM
Research all of the available options etc. Know exactly what you want when you walk through the door.

AirCanada909
07-16-2005, 09:57 AM
A Few thoughts to consider, for what it's worth.

To Save even more...
wait for...

For a Lease Back to become available, or a Demo model, or at least until the next year models come out. Also/ Possibly watch for auctions such as police and dealer auctions.

Here in Onatrio, If you buy it new (which will cost you more...you'll pay frieght and other dealer related costs), and you'll lose 10 % ((depreciation) or more) of the purchase cost right from the get go.

Also if you buy new, from a dealer you can expect to pay more in in terms of taxes (15% ( both 7% GST and 8% PST)) and as well you'll end paying probably $5000 more than needed from the Dealer Incentives not being understood or capitilzed on by the customer.

Where as, if you buy from a private seller, you only are obliged to pay the 7%.

Good Luck