PDA

View Full Version : turbo problems

civic95
07-14-2005, 05:50 PM
Hey guys, just joined up and looking for some solutions for some problems i've come across. I just finished my turbo install and tried to fire the engine up. I turned the key and i hear a loud squeal from my engine bay. Also, the engine feels like it's trying to fire up, but it just can't. I thought there might be an oil leak somewhere, so i checked underneath the car, but no leaks. Is this noise made because lack of oil? Do i just unscrew the oil feed like from the turbo and put it in a bucket to see if oil is actually making its way to the turbo? It's a pretty ugly sound and i figured i'm not doing something right, so i thought i'd come on here and ask you guys what your thoughts were on the subject.

Just thought i'd paraphrase it a little for people:
alright so my big problems are, why it's not firing up, Should i just keep trying until it finally does? or am i doing more damage by doing this?

Also, what might be making the squealing noise. Thanks

EK 2.0
07-14-2005, 06:13 PM
Large squealing on start-up is USUALLY the starter itself...It might just be a coincidence that your starter crapped out at the same time...:dunno:

civic95
07-14-2005, 06:17 PM
hmm...alright. My dad thought it might be the starter, but i just found that hard to believe since i didn't touch it at all during the install. But starters normally make a really loud squealing when they're shot? Thanks for the hint. I'll check it out tomorrow. Any other opinions?

ron korolak
07-14-2005, 08:50 PM
I would prine the turbo and if you want unhook the drain line to check if your getting oil, this way if you are then your not starving the turbo while you try to figure whats going on. Turbos dont' ussually squeal in my experience, check the belts and starter to.

civic95
07-14-2005, 09:27 PM
alright...yeah i wanted to check for oil, just didn't know which one (feed or drain) to unhook to check for it. Thanks for the reply.

TegLover
07-14-2005, 11:04 PM
your turbo won't squeel if you can't even start your car, what you need to check is the alternator. It is most likely seized up causeing the belt to make fucked up noises and low crank speed and i know this by experience.:thumbsup:

EFHatch
07-14-2005, 11:06 PM
its not your turbo. thats for sure.

like everyone else has said, its the alt or starter. is there any clicking noises?

civic95
07-15-2005, 10:53 AM
alright...i tried it again this morning. The crank pulley is turning, but very slowely, would that mean the alternator is messed up?

TegLover
07-15-2005, 09:45 PM
very likely, take off the alt belt and try to spin the pulley of the alt.

EK 2.0
07-15-2005, 10:33 PM
take off all belts and start it up...if its quiet you know it's one of the pulleys...or an accessory...then start replacing belts and BAM you know what the issue is...

civic95
07-16-2005, 10:44 AM
good idea, thanks for the tip. i'll go out and try that right now.

civic95
07-25-2005, 09:27 AM
well I GOT MY CAR STARTED! Turned out that the plugs weren't gapped right...they were actually double the amount of space labled for use (dont ask me how that happened). So my friend and i gapped the plugs back to spec and fired it up. It runs perfectly. It was just smoking a lot, but we couldn't figure out from what. I went back to check all my oil fittings and tightened them down. Smoke was still coming up from my engine bay. Turned out the alternator wasn't spinning and i melted the belt to the pulley. But atleast i know what it is now. I'm just waiting on my appointment for the exhaust to come around at a local shop and i'll be done!!!

hamburgler
08-05-2005, 09:56 AM
let your car idle for half and hour. the smoke is the assembly grease from the trubo being burnt off as well as your sticky greasy fingers touching everything when you did the install. if it still smokes after 50k of driving then it might be something else. also if you are blowing blue out the exhause you might need an oil restrictor because your feed line is too big. just to be safe i would disconnect the drain line and run it into a pale to make sure you are getting oil. thats what i did. i had like this metal chunk in my feed line and if i wouldnt have noticed this i would have not gotten oil into the turbo

heavyD
08-05-2005, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by hamburgler
let your car idle for half and hour. the smoke is the assembly grease from the trubo being burnt off as well as your sticky greasy fingers touching everything when you did the install. if it still smokes after 50k of driving then it might be something else. also if you are blowing blue out the exhause you might need an oil restrictor because your feed line is too big. just to be safe i would disconnect the drain line and run it into a pale to make sure you are getting oil. thats what i did. i had like this metal chunk in my feed line and if i wouldnt have noticed this i would have not gotten oil into the turbo

Why a half hour? I've done a few turbo installs as well as rebuilt engine break-ins and in my experience any burn-off smoke should be gone in a matter of minutes of driving.

EK 2.0
08-05-2005, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by heavyD
Why a half hour? I've done a few turbo installs as well as rebuilt engine break-ins and in my experience any burn-off smoke should be gone in a matter of minutes of driving.

agreed, usually in that first hard pull...