PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Leak

chris
07-14-2005, 06:08 PM
I am leaking coolant from the opposite side of my ca than the rad hoses (same side on a ca) the leak is coming from around the ac compressor, anybody have any idea what it is or how to fix it? I am not overheating as long as i refill the coolant after the leak, it leaks about 2 liters each time. any help would be appreciated,
thanks
chris

dymz999
07-14-2005, 06:54 PM
It is coming from the upper rad hose or the upper rad outlet (aluminum piece that bolts to the head). Either one of those likely. Sounds like something cracked you may not even be able to see it but this would be my guess.

theken
07-14-2005, 07:54 PM
im kind of having te same problem

dymz999
07-14-2005, 08:03 PM
It always comes from the same little spots. The things to check for.

1) gasket/silicon sealing radiator oulets which are bolted to your motor.

2) brittle/cracked hoses (very common)

3) Damaged/broken copper washers on turbo coolant lines

Those are the 3 most common honestly. Well the one i have problems with is heater hose that gets brittle. Mind you that is changing this week since i'm now installaing starlite hose for heater hose :)

chris
07-14-2005, 10:05 PM
it's most likely number 3, as rad outlets and rad hoses are on the opposite side of the leak, where would you pick up some copper washers for the turbo coolant lines, just any hardware store sort of thing or is there somewhere special?

it's also not a constant leak, it only happens sometimes after periods of driving speratically

dymz999
07-14-2005, 10:19 PM
you dont have any power loss issues do you? the only other thing i could think of and i dont even wanna suggest it would be a warped head causing coolant to seap through. the amount of coolant you were talking about was in litres right? thats a pretty significant leak if that is the case.

chris
07-14-2005, 10:25 PM
theres no white smoke coming from the exhaust and i can see basically where the leak's coming from. It just sort of starts dripping out when it feels like it, theres about a litre to a litre and a half of coolant under my car. Believe me, the head gasket crossed my mind

dymz999
07-14-2005, 10:35 PM
not always white smoke when you do the headgasket. Is there any oil in the coolant or vice versa? That is a tonne of coolant. You sait it was all of the AC compressor right? hmmm seriously thats wierd.

you should be able to get the copper gaskets the little rings at part source or autovalue... like 50 cents each.

chris
07-15-2005, 05:29 AM
believe me it's not the head gasket, it's coming from the coolant line going to the turbo as i can see it pouring out when it decides to leak, i just don't know if it's the whole line or just the bolts

bonnieclyde240
07-15-2005, 10:12 AM
is your coolant lines factory? sometimes they are prone to cracking. have you ever considered after market braided lines?

chris
07-15-2005, 03:38 PM
^^rad hoses or coolant line going to the turbo? both are stock, where would i pick up a braided one for the turbo?

dymz999
07-15-2005, 04:36 PM
I can make them for you out of teflon braided steel or better yet starlight hose for cheaper than you'd ever get from any other place. The line itself is not the worst thing since iti s not a pressure line so you can just use the "slide on" fittings.

Radiator hoses for a CA i'm not 100% sure, i'd suggest seeing if OBX or SAMCO make the silicon ones though.

DENZILDON
07-16-2005, 12:12 AM
Hi Guys,

Some of you might remember me from a meet at Chinook. I was the skinhead guy with TOPHER.

Anyway, can't leave a guy on the road so you may wan't to try this out Chris.

You said it leaks only from time to time. So when you notice that it is. Get a sponge and a small bucket of water. You don't need a lot of water. Put some dish soap and make it a little bubbly. .....
Now wipe the sponge (if you can without hitting the belts and stuff, I dont want you to get in an accident) And squeeze the soapy water into the spots where you suspect the leak is coming from.

When there is a leak, you should see bubbles coming out.

Alright!!!!
Check it out!!!