PDA

View Full Version : Do you get better mileage with one companies gas as compared to another?

3G
07-14-2005, 09:34 PM
Explain....

I feel that im getting better mileage with Superstore as compared to Esso :dunno:

kaput
07-14-2005, 09:37 PM

MintRacer
07-14-2005, 09:53 PM
I think ESSO's gas is a lot cleaner burning. Superstore gas is not as clean. When I filled a jerry can with super store gas for my lawn mower there was mad residue left in the bottom of the jerry can. Shell left no residue.

rage2
07-14-2005, 10:02 PM
Mileage depends on energy content of the fuel and what they use to raise octane. The higher the octane, the lower the mileage. Shell fuels has the best mileage, and Mohawk has the worse (91 octane compared to 92 octane).

googe
07-14-2005, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Mileage depends on energy content of the fuel and what they use to raise octane. The higher the octane, the lower the mileage. Shell fuels has the best mileage, and Mohawk has the worse (91 octane compared to 92 octane).

actually thats not necessarily true in all cases, because with the higher octane you can advance timing, creating more output with the same volume of fuel, which would actually result in better mileage

3G
07-15-2005, 12:15 AM
No Im comparing the same, 87 octane fuels here

A2VR6
07-15-2005, 11:55 AM
Well I know with Husky/Mowhawk since they use ethanol in their fuels it doesnt give you as good gas mileage.

69cougar
07-15-2005, 12:09 PM
Wouldn't Superstore gas be either Imperial, Shell or Petro Can anyway??

Xtrema
07-15-2005, 06:11 PM
^ True

But I do find Mohawk gas is the worse of the all on mileage.

Supa Dexta
07-15-2005, 06:15 PM
I've been wondering this week as well.. I filled up at a petro can I think, and did pretty good, now this week after filling at an esso, it's like the car has lost power and I'm not sure if I'm getting the milage I did.. I'll see better next week as the kms climb.... It's only the 2nd tank of gas I've put in it, so it's all new territory for me to get used to.....

:dunno:

Weapon_R
07-15-2005, 11:32 PM
I'm always paranoid about those discount stations like Centex etc. They always seem to be shady, and it seems like I get lass mileage on a tank of gas from them. Maybe its just me :dunno:

BokCh0y
07-16-2005, 12:03 AM
i've actually noticed similar finding in terms of different fuels from different stations. i noticed that when i use shell or petro canada petrol i receive the best mileage and performance. shell especially. but this also depends on which station and where. not sure what exactly each station does but when i gas up in the edgemont p.can my car runs better and has better mileage as compared to the p.can across from churchill high school.

as for the little stations - i heard that all gas comes from the same plant or something so essentially they are all the same. but stations like shell and p.can and esso add their own additives and stuff whereas the mom and pop stations like centex add nothing. so their fuel is just plain jane with no nothing to help enhance performance or clean your engine.

also heard rumors that certain stations "water down" their petrol and some others sell 87 octane as 91 :dunno: this is just what i hear.

but overall i found shell and p.can to be the best.

Chiggles
07-16-2005, 01:48 AM
Not a lot Shell's around where I live/work so mostly I use Petro. And I use it so often that I'm habituated to it when I'm fully aware that the Esso near campus have the cheapest pumps around (pump price is always less than the sign price), yet I've been so consistent with Petro's blend that I'm afraid of switching it to Esso's even though it's cheaper. Main reason: the additives in Petro's 89 octane helped me clear my EGR CEL code back in December and I've stuck with whatever's made my car happy.

bspot
07-16-2005, 02:29 AM
It all comes from the same gas plant, just different additives.

Nissanaddict
07-16-2005, 02:35 AM
From what I hear, completely true. Same refinery for the most part...the differences is additives, and the tanks. I've heard that older stations have metal tanks, while newer ones have plastic (could be BS) and that the metal ones rust causing...well..scheisse. When my brother lived in Vancouver....first trip in my parents venture, on shawnessy coop gas, did an average of 10.9L/100 km. Second trip (I didn't work at coop anymore, so no EXTRA discounts) on midnapore Esso gas.....8.6L/100km (this is calculated by US accurately, not the trip/fuel economyometer. So that's one issue. My bro's (my former) 88 Corsica, runs like crap on anything that doesn't come from Esso, Shell, or Petro (may be others, but so far, nope. Coop, runs like crap, safeway, same deal, domo is terrible no matter who you ask) If you see cheaper gas...throw in $40 and see how it does I say. If it's good....stick with it.

ryder_23
07-16-2005, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by Nissanaddict
Esso, Shell, or Petro (may be others, but so far, nope. Coop, runs like crap, safeway, same deal, domo is terrible no matter who you ask)

I can tell you safeway uses either Esso (at 4 of its stations in calgary) or shell at the other ones. As for the tanks they have, they come from the same manufacturer that esso has used since 2000. safeway just doesnt have esso trucks dropping off the gas, but it comes from the esso refinery. But every place gets a bad tank here or there. All depends on the quality from the main place, and yes, that means you can get bad gas from esso as well. But its highly unlikly considering the tanks are filled 3 times atleast, a week (at the busy stations). I shoudl also add, you never truly get the bottom of the barrel directly from a gas station. There is 3000L of each kind (r,m,p), that cannot be sucked up.

Fluidic
07-16-2005, 11:36 AM
I fuel up the S4 with Shell gas! The best mileage per tank by FAR! When I'm wanting performance outta my GTI, it's 94 octane from Mohawk. Terrible fuel mileage, but that doesn't matter. Power baby!

BokCh0y
07-16-2005, 11:49 AM
Is there a difference between the Mowhawk and Husky Octane 94 petrol? Is there one that is more prefered than the other? I've tried the Husky 94 petrol - terrible mileage but I did notice a little more Power. How is the Mohawk stuff?

JCX
07-16-2005, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by BokCh0y
Is there a difference between the Mowhawk and Husky Octane 94 petrol? Is there one that is more prefered than the other? I've tried the Husky 94 petrol - terrible mileage but I did notice a little more Power. How is the Mohawk stuff?

Same thing no?

I also find ethanol gas = shart mileage. Too bad she likes 94 so much. :(

googe
07-16-2005, 05:19 PM
its a well understood fact that ethanol decreases volatility (increases octane) as well as BTUs (energy output, meaning mileage)

comparing ethanol blended gas to non is kinda apples to oranges.

KoukiS14
07-16-2005, 05:33 PM
Shell Hands Down :thumbsup:

Supa Dexta
07-16-2005, 06:16 PM
You can also run into problems with water in the gas, although this is less common nowadays.. I believe all tanks still have water in them to an extent, so you have to watch the days they get filled up, don't pull up to the pump right after the bulk truck is unloading, stirs up all the crap.... I can't remember the numbers exactly, but there was a station back home, where some of my buddies worked and at any one time they knew there was xxx amount of water sitting in the tanks... 14inches comes to mind...

:)

GTS Jeff
07-16-2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I'm always paranoid about those discount stations like Centex etc. They always seem to be shady, and it seems like I get lass mileage on a tank of gas from them. Maybe its just me :dunno: Haha I know the feeling. Every now and then I gas up at this discount gas station in downtown and I could almost swear that motor pings a bit easier on that gas.

I know they get the same gas from the same refineries, but what's stopping them from labelling 87 as premium?

Ben
07-17-2005, 01:59 AM
Shell exceeds every other station I've tried by a LARGE margine. At least 75km more per tank. I also get better milage on shell 92 than regular.

2.8L V6.

65L tank.

Heavy foot.

540 in the city average
650+ hightway (havent done a full tank strictly highway yet, but calgary to etown used a 3rd of a tank driving hard, half city/highway got me 651km with 4 L left..)

JeremyD
07-20-2005, 04:21 PM
It has been a long time since I used Shell I will have to try it again.

I noticed that on 1/4 tank of gas with standard city driving (my driving routes are fairly consistent)

Safeway 100Km
Esso 120 KM
Petro Canada - Less than 100 KM (from what i remember. it is abysmal. I know on my truck I would get 120 miles to 3/4 of a tank vs 160 miles to a 3/4 tank on esso during the winter time so I avoid Petro canada if I can at all help it.

(this is all at 91 octane)

Audio_Rookie
07-20-2005, 04:55 PM
all from same gas plants...

a whole tank in a semi truck will get filed with gas, and each company will throw in a little plastic bag with their own additives. the plastic disolves and the additives is all that is differant.

out of:

Esso
Shell
Mohawk
Gas King
Triangle
Race Trak
Petro
Safeway
Crappy Tire

Esso gave the best gas mileage...This test was performed last year, calculating mileage on each station from full tank to exactly 1/4 tank. each gas station was tested twice, with smilar results each trial, but on both trials Esso gave me the best gas mileage (89 shelby daytona, 87 octane)

Altezza
07-20-2005, 05:13 PM

but overall i found shell and p.can to be the best.

What kind of milage are you getting per tank?

AllGoNoShow
07-20-2005, 07:02 PM
I'm with Weapon_R on this one. I have filled up lately, *2 times* at a Centex station and it doesn't seem to last NEARLY as long as Husky does. Don't seem to get the balls with Centex as I do with Husky though. Cheaper on the cheap shit but not so good for premium.

BokCh0y
07-20-2005, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Altezza

What kind of milage are you getting per tank?

When I use Shell I usualy get about 420-440km/tank. Petrocan is more or less the same depending on what station I goto. Hen I use CO-OP or something shitty like that I gat about 387-400km/tank. I also noticed that with Shell there seems to be a little more in terms of power. But to be honest, mileage in this car no matter what is just the shits. But if I can squeeze out an extra 20-40km then why not.

89coupe
07-20-2005, 08:54 PM
I barely get 200km/tank on Husky 94octane:rofl:

Altezza
07-20-2005, 09:27 PM

When I use Shell I usualy get about 420-440km/tank. Petrocan is more or less the same depending on what station I goto. Hen I use CO-OP or something shitty like that I gat about 387-400km/tank. I also noticed that with Shell there seems to be a little more in terms of power. But to be honest, mileage in this car no matter what is just the shits. But if I can squeeze out an extra 20-40km then why not.

I fill Esso and I get about 425-450 km on 3/4 of a tank. If I drive with the stock wheels on, I get 450-475 (sometimes close to 500) on 3/4 of a tank. I haven't tried any other brands yet.

Fluidic
07-21-2005, 12:07 AM
Is there a difference between the Mowhawk and Husky Octane 94 petrol? Is there one that is more preferred than the other? I've tried the Husky 94 petrol - terrible mileage but I did notice a little more Power. How is the Mohawk stuff?

Mohawk and Husky are the same shit. Googe is correct is saying that Ethanol will reduce mileage by a significant factor.

I'm chipping my S4 in the next few days here, looks like I'll be using Mohawk/Husky 94 till winter. Gotta love APR chips with the ability to change ECM programs using the cruise control buttons. :)

schurchill39
07-21-2005, 12:22 AM
I seem to be getting more mialige with petro canada then anything else. Husky works good in the truck but for the cars petro canada is where I go

BokCh0y
07-21-2005, 08:27 AM

I fill Esso and I get about 425-450 km on 3/4 of a tank. If I drive with the stock wheels on, I get 450-475 (sometimes close to 500) on 3/4 of a tank. I haven't tried any other brands yet.

seriously? do you drive your car fairly aggessive or just the regular - power when needed? I drive mine a little on the aggressive side so I'm assuming that would be a contributing factor to my poor mileage. I know the factory ratings for the car aren't too well as it is. mmmmm you have me thinking now, I'm thinking I will try the ESSO petrol and see if I get better mileage with that than p.can or shell. Problem with Shell for me is the stations are only in crowded higher traffic areas whereas the esso's and p.can's are everywhere incl. residential areas. Which ESSO station is it that you frequesnt? Like I mentioned earlier, I also noticed a difference in mileage between stations even though they may carry the same name - unethical business practices is what I've been told. Let me know please.

Altezza
07-21-2005, 12:12 PM

seriously? do you drive your car fairly aggessive or just the regular - power when needed? I drive mine a little on the aggressive side so I'm assuming that would be a contributing factor to my poor mileage. I know the factory ratings for the car aren't too well as it is. mmmmm you have me thinking now, I'm thinking I will try the ESSO petrol and see if I get better mileage with that than p.can or shell. Problem with Shell for me is the stations are only in crowded higher traffic areas whereas the esso's and p.can's are everywhere incl. residential areas. Which ESSO station is it that you frequesnt? Like I mentioned earlier, I also noticed a difference in mileage between stations even though they may carry the same name - unethical business practices is what I've been told. Let me know please.

On a daily basis, I'm not all that aggressive but I do "use" the car. I usually get better than the stated gas milage for the car. I typically fill at the Esso on Centre/McKnight. Sometimes I'll fill at the Esso in Edgemont or the one in Citadel. I'll try a tank of Shell and Petro Can in the next while to see what I get for milage.

Nissanaddict
07-21-2005, 12:31 PM
Oh, and if you're ever in Vancouver, get this. Esso New Westminster, filled up the Corsica, and topped it up in Salmon arm (I THINK).....6.3L/100kms on the 88 Corsica 2.0 Auto (EPA rates it at 7.6L/100kms) If you drive nice, take a litre or so off those ratings from the EPA. They're probably using purple gas.

BokCh0y
07-21-2005, 02:11 PM

On a daily basis, I'm not all that aggressive but I do "use" the car. I usually get better than the stated gas milage for the car. I typically fill at the Esso on Centre/McKnight. Sometimes I'll fill at the Esso in Edgemont or the one in Citadel. I'll try a tank of Shell and Petro Can in the next while to see what I get for milage.

perfect. they are all fairly close to me with the edgemont one being just up the street from me. i will test them out after this tank of p.can petrol. thanks for the 411.

Chiggles
07-30-2005, 05:01 AM
It's been a week since. Anyone got updates on their test trials yet?

BokCh0y
07-30-2005, 09:25 AM
I'll be the first.

So I tested out the ESSO Premium petrol from the Edgemont station. Did notice a little more mileage. I drove the car as I would usually (fairly agressive) and ended up with about 440km on this tank and the gas seemed to last longer. But I did notice the car didn't run as smooth as when I use Shell or P.Can. Maybe it's just me.

Usually when I use the P.Can petrol I will get about 387-420km depending on how agressive I drive but do notice the car runs smoother and feels like it has more power.

I ran the tank down to empty and filled it last night with Shell Premium from the Chinook station. I'll see how this tank does.

So far this is what I got:

ESSO - more mileage, but car feels a little sluggish, less responsive but fuel did last longer between fills.

YamaLube
07-31-2005, 12:16 PM
Ok, here is my 2 cents, I recently syncronized the throttle bodies on my FZ6, after I did that it was running like new again after a few weeks of rough idle, vibration, and poor mileage. Then last week my bike was vibrating, terrible idle, and coming on the throttle too fast off an idle would threaten a stall, I figured I must of messed up my synch. Anyways, I then filled up at an Esso station on crowchild, and all of a sudden the bike was running like a top, smooth and more power. The last tank of gas was from a Shell station.

So although this has nothing to do with mileage, I am hittin the Esso from now on, the Shell station may have had a bad batch of fuel, but the Esso fuel was noticably better for my engine.

BokCh0y
08-03-2005, 01:18 PM
***UPDATE***

So I had to fill up today. All I can say is I will definitly be filling up at the Chinook Shell station more often. Best milege ever. With my aggressive driving I still was able to pull off 470.6KM on this tank. Plus I still had about 6L or so left so really I coulda gone over 500k before filling. I am impressed.

Filled it up today at the P.Can on the corner of Memorial Dr. and 36Street NE. Will see how this does.

Not sure though if the ESSO petrol from my last fill super cleaned my tank and/or lines or something or what. Just know the ESSO didn't do as well as I hoped but the Shell petrol was amazing. Car ran super smooth too.

Will let you guys no how this tank turns out in about 5 days or so.

YamaLube
08-03-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by bspot

What do you think, there is one big refinery, then each truck from esso petro-can shell husky etc just pulls up and fills up, then markets to us under different brands with different additives. Husky just dumps a few pails of ethanol in the tank and stirs it with a big wooden spoon?

Each of the big companies have their own refinery, in some cases they may get their crude from the same place, but the refineries are different. Similar processes, but not the same. This means that depending on how their process is working, or how close they are to a shutdown, or how spent their catalyst in their vessels are the fuel can be different. Thats the reason some fuel is better then others.

The other thing is the fuel is only as good as the tank it goes into. If the tanks are super old, rusty, got water in them and they are almost empty, the fuel will suffer. I am sure that is why my tank of Shell was so brutal, not the fuel nessecarily, but perhaps just a crappy service station. Find a fuel you like, and buy from the same place and you will get consiten mileage and performance, my $0.02.

Ben
08-03-2005, 02:33 PM
I spend around $200 a month on gas, and only fill up with shell. I have a station near my house and I get so many airmiles from them.

Primer_Drift
08-03-2005, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by bspot

There are 4 gasoline refineries in Alberta, the majority of the fuel sold in Alberta is produced in the Edmonton area. It is piped to terminals in Calgary where it is distributed.

Furthermore, fuel quality is essentially the same - it is the additives that distiguish proprietary brands. Which are for the most part marketing tools to say which brand is better than the other. There should be no discernible difference in gas mileage based on equivilant fuel grades.

Ferio_vti
08-03-2005, 10:46 PM
As noted above, it all comes from the same plant, same hole in the ground etc.

Kinda like on the Simpsons, Duff, Duff Light and Duff Dry. It's all the same thing.

YamaLube
08-04-2005, 08:07 AM
No, he said four refineries, and he is right, the big four have their own refineries, Esso, Petro, Shell, Husky. Their crude stocks are not from the same place either, some come from conventionaly heavy oil, some are synthetic crude from the oil sands. But it is not just the additives that can make differences in the fuel, I have worked at these type of places, and depending on whether or not they feel like spending the cash, they may push the life on their catalyst, delay shutdowns, etc etc. The fuel only has to meet minimum requirements of CGSB, they can chose to exceed these requirements or not.

Altezza
08-19-2005, 01:10 AM
I'll be the first.

So I tested out the ESSO Premium petrol from the Edgemont station. Did notice a little more mileage. I drove the car as I would usually (fairly agressive) and ended up with about 440km on this tank and the gas seemed to last longer. But I did notice the car didn't run as smooth as when I use Shell or P.Can. Maybe it's just me.

On my first tank of Shell V-power switching from Esso Premium, I got 475kms on 3/4 of a tank. Better than when I filled Esso.

BokCh0y
08-19-2005, 01:15 AM
All I can say is I've been going back to Chinook Shell and filling up there. I gotten the best mileage from the V-Power Gold brand petrol from that location. About 470KM per tank before I fill.

Ben
08-19-2005, 08:35 AM
All I can say is I've been going back to Chinook Shell and filling up there. I gotten the best mileage from the V-Power Gold brand petrol from that location. About 470KM per tank before I fill.

I got 698km on my last tank of V-Power. Highway driving, but trust me, FAST highway driving. HARD Driving through the mountains.

I'm perplexed. Thats insane.

abyss
08-19-2005, 08:44 AM
I've kindof been turned off of Shell, I used to ONLY, and I mean ONLY go there, and then I bought the Maxima and both my O2 sensors went at the same time within 2 months of buying the car. It could've just been a fluke cause I did by the car used, but I switched to Petro and haven't had a problem since. Does anyone know if the rumors about Shell gas and O2 sensors are or were true, and have they changed anything?

BokCh0y
08-19-2005, 01:36 PM
i can't remember the full story but I did hear a rumor about Shell brand petrol causing issues but with some cars but it was ONLY with GM vehicles.

BokCh0y
08-19-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Ben

I got 698km on my last tank of V-Power. Highway driving, but trust me, FAST highway driving. HARD Driving through the mountains.

I'm perplexed. Thats insane.

Yeah when I went out to Vancouver last week I filled with Shell V-Power Gold first - Drove the car hard and was able to make it to Revelstoke with more than half a tank of petrol left!!!!!! Highway rating for my car is 21 mpg so getting about 420 or so km on the tank and having more than half a tank left still.....i am impressed.

saiyajin
08-19-2005, 01:54 PM
after reading the thread im trying shell...will see how it goes cuz i just filled it hah :thumbsup:

rockym20
08-19-2005, 02:11 PM
I never take my car to Shell anymore (which is too bad because I like the airmiles). Shell fuel makes my engine really sluggish & run rough. The car doesn't like running at low RPM's (by low, I mean between 2000 and 3000 RPM) and it feels like the car is misfiring when I first drive it in the morning. Anyways, it is the only place I have ever had an issue with the fuel. I now fill up at the various independent gas stations in Ogden or at Superstore and the car has been running great.

A while back, Shell lost a class action lawsuit in regards to an additive they were including which caused fuel pump damage for a lot of people:

http://www.shell.ca/code/library/news/2004/04nr_jan07_fuel.html

DJ Lazy
08-19-2005, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Usually I agree with most of your comments across the board..

However, this one I have to disagree with...

I found that I am getting better mileage with 92 octane compared to 87.

87 I was getting about 480kms/tank.
92 I am getting 540kms/tank.

This is travelling the same trip in city until tank was empty. (warning light)

**This is also purchasing gas from the same location**

Chiggles
08-23-2005, 02:29 AM
Hmmm... so far Shell seems to have a good general concensus on mileage, but the additive lawsuit there is really a bit disconcerting and for that reason, I don't want think I'll risk trying Shell just yet. More to the point, I don't recall seeing any Shell stations near me.

On a related note, check out this gas saver:

Clicky (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7993916387)

Sorry if it's a repost - I haven't been back on here in almost 3 weeks (I know, shame on me).