PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone make use of a recent Communications graduate?

Canadian 2.5RS
07-15-2005, 01:40 PM
So I just finished my Communications degree at the University and Im on the hunt for a good job to begin my career. Does anyone know of any good job leads that could use the skills of a coms graduate?

On a side note, what do people with a communications degree do when they are finished getting thier degree?

Thanks for the help.:thumbsup:

abyss
07-15-2005, 01:46 PM
I don't mean to sound impudent, but you took a whole degree without even checking what sort of jobs you'd have a shot at after? Seems a little odd.....

kaput
07-15-2005, 01:48 PM

camby
07-15-2005, 01:49 PM
Techincal writing seems decent. There's a technical writer in our office and she writes stuff for us. Our office consist of mostly engineers and engineers can't write so try applying to engineering based companies.

Canadian 2.5RS
07-15-2005, 07:20 PM
I took the degree because it opened so many doors. the downside of that is that it doesn't provide alot of direction once you are done the degree.

Here are some of the fields that coms graduates work in:
Advertising
Counselling
Industrial Relations
Public Relations
Management
Radio and Television
Publishing and Printing
Journalism
Languages and Linguistics
Writing
Consulting
Social Services
Government and Civil Service
International Relations
Banking and Finance
Research
Investment Dealing
Retail Sales
Administration
Law Enforcement and Corrections
Real Estate
Recreation
Armed Forces
Insurance
Urban Planning

Strait out of the Red Deer College handbook.

Canadian 2.5RS
07-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by kaput
I think most of them either work at McDonalds or maybe some sort of filing or admin job for maybe a law firm or something?

I seriously doubt that a coms grad goes and gets a job at McDonalds unless there are other factors involved.

The purpose of this post is to find SPECIFIC jobs in Calgary that a coms grad might be good at. And if you are not going to be helpful please keep your comments to yourself.

Marsh
07-15-2005, 08:13 PM
I think you can usually find a job in a Human resources Department for most companies.
Thats what my friend with a coms degree ended up doing

broken_legs
07-15-2005, 08:25 PM
what is a communicatiosn degree anywyas?

awd
07-15-2005, 08:27 PM
Tech Writers do well...

kaput
07-16-2005, 10:16 AM

broken_legs
07-16-2005, 03:28 PM
^^^^ m,an thats some good advice

All a degree does is prove you can learn something.

Great says the company, you have zero experience, but atleast we know your able to start at the bottom and learn.

heres a crappy entry position. Enjoy

I would never had gotten the job I did out of school without all the experience I had from working during school.

All of the best jobs are filled from within a company, then the outside postings go out for teh menial jobs that people just moved out of to fill the good job.

jackieo
07-19-2005, 10:09 AM
If you can afford it, I'd say do 2 years at a tech school and specialize in something - that's what I did. I got an English degree back in 1998 - and guess what, couldn't get a job.

I signed up at SAIT and took their CTSR program for broadcasting, which had a 99% job placement program after, and I got hired right out of school.

University is great for partying and learning life stuff, but I learned so much more at college - things that would help with an actual career doing hands-on stuff at SAIT.

I would check into SAIT and Mount Royal which both offer journalism and TV/Radio programs.

Good Luck!

Pacman
07-19-2005, 10:48 AM
All the friends I know that finished univeristy with General Studies/ Communications degrees are working in sales, and making at least double the salaries of our other friends who finished school with BComm, Engineering, Science and Computer Science degrees.

So if sales is something you might enjoy, perhaps you could explore that field.

sputnik
07-19-2005, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Canadian 2.5RS
I took the degree because it opened so many doors. the downside of that is that it doesn't provide alot of direction once you are done the degree.

Here are some of the fields that coms graduates work in:
Advertising
Counselling
Industrial Relations
Public Relations
Management
Radio and Television
Publishing and Printing
Journalism
Languages and Linguistics
Writing
Consulting
Social Services
Government and Civil Service
International Relations
Banking and Finance
Research
Investment Dealing
Retail Sales
Administration
Law Enforcement and Corrections
Real Estate
Recreation
Armed Forces
Insurance
Urban Planning

Strait out of the Red Deer College handbook.

That is the most GENERAL list ever.

You could use that list for half of the BA degrees available from any university. Hell a good portion of that list applies to people that graduated from high school. If they were willing to work there way up for the past 4 years they will probably be ahead of any BA-carrying-no-experience-graduate in terms of salary.

Tyler883
07-20-2005, 05:59 PM
.... In all cases, its who you know that matters....

I had an instructor point out that "It's not who you know, but who you meet"

kind puts in perspective, eh?

I know that he is mostly talking semantics but I think it's a good attitude to have when you are seeking employment.

kaput
07-21-2005, 08:09 AM

Fivewayradio
07-21-2005, 12:54 PM
You might want to check out the big media (news, radio, tv), Advertising/PR, multi-media , web development or software companies.

Companies like Critical Mass (who are shitty to work for, but I'm mentioning them anyway) often require a business, marketing or communications degree for many positions. In fact there are at least three jobs on CM's job list right now that have those requirements. Of course you won't get in anywhere without experience, but those are the kinds of places that can use coms grads.

Whoever mentioned going back to school to get an applied degree or diploma has it right. You stand a much better chance of getting a decent job with an applied degree from MRC than you do with just your Bcoms. Having both will put you ahead of a lot of people.

Ultimately if you want a rewarding career you're going to have to figure out what it is you find most interesting about communications and specialize in that.

Tyler883
07-21-2005, 10:34 PM
I met lots of people who could have given me a job and none of them did so I think thats a phrase that lucky people use to make the rest of us realize how much we suck.

Not really much diferent than the "who you know " comment because the people you meet become the people you know. It's just a reminder that as you go through you day to day routine at your new job, even if you aren't looking for work - others are sizing up your skills, either you impress them, or you don't, thats up to you for the most part.

Life is one big job interview.

Xtrema
07-21-2005, 10:54 PM
Communication graduates are as competitive as high school students in the job market. Hope you know someone that can get you a job.

Otherwise, start applying here:
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=94796

Pacman
07-21-2005, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Communication graduates are as competitive as high school students in the job market. Hope you know someone that can get you a job.

Don't be ridiculous. All a degree shows is that you are a critical thinker and can learn independently.

I work with lots of people who hold Arts/General Studies degrees, and they work alongside with Bcomm, Engineers, Pharmacists, and Science graduates.

I was just involved in helping to hire a new sales rep at our company, and we went with somebody who had a degree in History.....this candidate beat 25 other contenders who held degrees in all sorts of disciplines such as Bcomm, biology, etc........

Canadian 2.5RS
07-22-2005, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

You cant be fucking serious! Is this your silly attempt to make yourself feel better about your life decisions? :guns:

If you dont have something constructive to say then KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!

PS: Thank you to the people who actually offer constructive advice and not just criticism and disrespect.

01RedDX
07-23-2005, 10:02 AM

Canadian 2.5RS
07-23-2005, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Well, I have half of a communications degree (a journalism diploma from SAIT) and I gotta tell you, if you move to Toronto or Vancouver, you are guaranteed to find the type of job that suits your skill. It's tough in Calgary. Just check this media job board www.mediajobsearchcanada.com to see what I mean.

Thank you. Finally someone with some helpful information. :thumbsup: