PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Duty Mechanic

clapbak
07-15-2005, 02:18 PM
Hey guys!

I'm posting here so maybe someone can shed some light....

I'm currently 20 Years only, i have been working as a Computer Tech since grade 12.. I have decided that I don't want to work with computers anymore and i want to get into something that i can make a career out of. My father is a heavy duty mechanic also, since he just became a boss, i get all his tools (amen) he would hire me but the company he works for doesn't allow family :( So here i am, wanting to make a career and don't have a CLUE where to start... How do i get into this industry? I have the basic skills in mechanics.. oil changes/power steering pump changes / breaks / swapped a few manifolds / the basic stuff.. Since i didn't take mechanics in school im afaird i no one will wanna take someone who doesn't have alot of exp under there belt ya know?

Can you please post some suggestions / Places to look into on where to get started.. ANY Help is appreciated.. thanks

-trevor

BBMac
07-17-2005, 05:48 PM
I would say start by asking your Dad what he thinks. He may have connections that he would be willing to use to help. Also I'm sure he can atleast tell you what companies have a bad reputation and that alone can help narrow things down. If your not into that game and aren't looking for his help and want to get into HD mechanics completely on your own there are a few options.

You could go to sait and take their one year program which gives you all the theory and some practical skills to send you in the right direction. If you don't like the Idea of school and want to do an apprenticeship only, pull out the phone book and make some resumes and go to every single place you can.

If you are enthusiastic and you genuinely want to learn and are loyal, thats all that matters. All employers are looking for good help and it is hard to find good help and you have your own tools! Just keep a positve outlook and always call them don't wait for them to call you!

brydon

jdmakkord
07-17-2005, 05:58 PM
My best friend took the hd course at SAIT around 6 or 7 years ago, and is now making 100k+ a year working mad OT year round.

kaput
07-17-2005, 06:42 PM

hockeybronx
07-18-2005, 10:32 PM
There's a garage by my work that is currently looking for a heavy dute mechanic. It might not be a bad idea to drop in there and ask what their requirements are, and maybe even talk to other mechanics that are on shift.

I can't remember what the place is called however I can give you detailed directions: The place is on 58th Ave SE, just west of Blackfoot Trail. If you take Blackfoot trail and head west on 58th Ave the garage is on the south side of 58th Ave and there is a tall sign that says "wanted: heavy duty mechanic" in front of the garage. If you head down 58th Ave and look on the south side you can't miss it.

If I were you I would stop in there and talk to guys that are already in the industry so they can suggest a career path for you.

clapbak
07-19-2005, 01:44 PM
Thanks for your feedback guys! Appricahte it...

I talked to my pop's he said just throw out resume's.. Im planning on doing so pretty soon...

I was talking to some other people, i asked them about how i dont have to much exp with heavy duty.. compaired to some others.. he told me thats not what they look for, they look for someone whos willing to learn, wants to make a carrer out of it, dedicated etc.. I think my chances are just as good as others with exp..
Unfort I live in edmonton other wise i would throw out a resume..
Thanks again guys!

-trev

sputnik
07-19-2005, 01:51 PM
Find out if you can apprentice somewhere. My cousin started by apprenticing for a John Deere dealership in Edmonton. They paid for his education at NAIT and now has his journeymans ticket.

hockeybronx
07-21-2005, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by clapbak
Unfort I live in edmonton other wise i would throw out a resume..

Oh sorry about that dude. I started referring you to a place in Calgary and I didn't even think to look where your location was:nut: