PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket steering wheel, no airbag, in a new car

88CRX
07-15-2005, 07:04 PM
So I would like to run an aftermarket steering wheel, which of course entails removing the stock wheel + airbag.

What will insurance think of this? Is it even legal?

brandon
07-15-2005, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
So I would like to run an aftermarket steering wheel, which of course entails removing the stock wheel + airbag.

Nope not legal, Insurance could void if in accident. Blah blah blah. I did it on my old car and it was fine tho!

88CRX
07-15-2005, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by brandon

Nope not legal, Insurance could void if in accident. Blah blah blah. I did it on my old car and it was fine tho!

yes, all i ever hear is that lol.

so it IS legal :D

three.eighteen.
07-16-2005, 12:12 AM
or you could be a ballah and spring for the momo's w/ airbags :D

Ichigo
07-16-2005, 12:48 AM

illegal.. probably not.. But if your friend drives it and crashes.. He can sue you for having no airbag in there.. o_0

ZorroAMG
07-16-2005, 02:24 AM
Who lets other people drive their car??

Ichigo
07-16-2005, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Who lets other people drive their car??

ahaha you got me.. but in this crazy world now a days.. I bet even the crook that ripped your car off can sue you.. lol

7thgenvic
07-16-2005, 03:07 AM
my brother has a momo, w/o airbag and ever time that he has been pulled over the cops have never said anything, and really if a cop is looking into your car and the thing was not legal wouldn't you get in shit for it?

ryder_23
07-16-2005, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by Ichigo

ahaha you got me.. but in this crazy world now a days.. I bet even the crook that ripped your car off can sue you.. lol

:rofl: so true

Just make sure if you do, keep your stock wheel, so when you goto sell your car, you can legally sell it. Its required by law to sell a car with an airbag, that originally came wiht an airbag (atleast from what i've heard)

As for taking steering wheel off. There pretty straight forward, make sure you disconnect the Neg on the battery, and let it sit for 15+ minutes, to make sure its fully discharged, so you dont run the risk of having an airbag break your face. As for the removal of the wheel, honda's (atleast older ones) are pretty straight forward. Remove the steering colum cover, there are a couple bolts, and bam, comes right off. Just make sure you dont tear off the wires connected for the horn / airbag. I think thats it...Might be some DIY info on the net.

88CRX
07-16-2005, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Ichigo

illegal.. probably not.. But if your friend drives it and crashes.. He can sue you for having no airbag in there.. o_0

says who?

i dont beleive that for one second, maybe im wrong, or maybe your just making that up :dunno:

either way no one else drives my car. ever.

rage2
07-16-2005, 10:27 AM
Click search. I posted the Transport Canada form last year on how to legally remove your steering wheel airbag.

Ichigo
07-16-2005, 06:10 PM

says who?

i dont beleive that for one second, maybe im wrong, or maybe your just making that up :dunno:

either way no one else drives my car. ever.

Which part?? The probably not illegal part??
Or the you can get sued if the secondary restraint system has been removed and has failed to deploy when accident occurs?

schurchill39
07-17-2005, 02:15 PM
I am thinking he was refering to the you can get sued part

Ichigo
07-18-2005, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by schurchill39
I am thinking he was refering to the you can get sued part

Oh I think it may be possible. Because the secondary restraint system is there to assist you with your crash.. So if that was meant to go off and the dood is injured technically he has the right to sue and potentially win.
I'm not sure if there was an actual case like this. And I sure hope as hell that your friend who took your car would pay for damages and feel bad instead of sueing.. ^_^..

As stated above.. .. we live in a sad world today.
But as for changing out to aftermarket steering wheel.. why the hell not.. :thumbsup:

rage2
07-18-2005, 07:11 AM
Again...

Originally posted by rage2
Click search. I posted the Transport Canada form last year on how to legally remove your steering wheel airbag.
Fill that form out and you will legally be able to do it without insurance or legal issues.