PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good laptop repair place in Calgary...

hash
07-16-2005, 09:49 AM
Like the topic says, I'm looking for a reliable and not too expensive place that will fix my stupid Dell machine. It seems to be overheating and shutting down every 5 minutes. :banghead:

Anyone know of any good places? thnx.

Charon
07-16-2005, 12:30 PM
If its still under warranty, send it back to dell. Otherwise I would try opening it up and just cleaning the dust out of the heatsinks etc...

Are you sure that it is shutting down from overheating ? And not some other problem such as bad ram ?

eblend
07-16-2005, 08:47 PM
Full laptop cleaning is $80 at compusmart, includes complete disassembly and cleaning on the inside

GucciBoy
07-16-2005, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by eblend
Full laptop cleaning is $80 at compusmart, includes complete disassembly and cleaning on the inside

hmm i would be curious in the cleaning too. How often should you have it done on a laptop? I was told you can go years without blowing the dust out, but I cant see that lol.

Davetronz
07-16-2005, 09:54 PM
A lot of places prefer not to work on Dells as they are not certified to do so...
Plus if anything is found to be damaged/broken they are unable to order parts.
I tend to not like pulling Dell's apart for any reason whereas Toshibas, IBM's and some Sony's are perfectly fine...

BokCh0y
07-16-2005, 09:58 PM
^^^^:werd:

IMO sounds to me like your processor may be toast. Could also be motherboard. We've seen this at work a few times and the techs at Dell ended up sending out a MB, Processor and Heatsink.

GucciBoy
07-17-2005, 12:22 AM
is it easy to blow the dust out yourself? i was told you can do it without having to open it up.

eblend
07-17-2005, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by GucciBoy
is it easy to blow the dust out yourself? i was told you can do it without having to open it up.

i doubt that would do any good...your just blowing the dust from your processors and fans inside of the case...so now ur case has an inch or dust on it

BlaCkPlaGUE
07-17-2005, 09:16 AM
TLD Computers on 29th st.

250-4600

Sounds like a fan issue to me. They'll fix anything.

GucciBoy
07-17-2005, 02:45 PM
is cleaning covered under manu. warr?

spike98
07-17-2005, 02:48 PM
i own a dell and i opened her up and cleaned it. I found complete instructions on how to take it apart on the dell website. Its pretty easy. While your at it put the CPU and put on a nice thin layer of arctic sliver it will make a HUGE difference.

hash
07-17-2005, 04:29 PM
thnx for the response guys. i think i'm gonna try the DIY cleaning first and if its still not working, take it to one of the places mentioned above.

Davetronz
07-17-2005, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by GucciBoy
is cleaning covered under manu. warr?
Nope,
Dust, dirt, and generall messiness isnt covered under Manufacturers warranty as it is considered an environmental condition.

hash
07-22-2005, 11:12 AM
Well, turns out that it was a heating issue - apparently this model has some major heat handling issues (it uses the P4-M desktop processor).

I bought some canned air, opened it up, and gave it a few good blasts. Now all I need is a laptop cooling pad.